Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
That’s a workaround, not a solution.

As I have written: "The reason is that my Mini is in closed rack, so issue is expected".
Yes, that is workaround to a problem I have generated for myself, not by Apple.

Reactions: Ploki

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
As I have written: "The reason is that my Mini is in closed rack, so issue is expected".
Yes, that is workaround to a problem I have generated for myself, not by Apple.

In my case running peripherals off USB3.0 ports is fine, running disks is not. Magic Trackpad goes haywire. It's on a wooden desk next to me

b83

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
I'm the same.. Peripherals is fine, it's the disks that mess with it.. Especially the USB C ports

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
FYI
8/256/i5 with BT magic/2 kb +
Tp. Heavy 802.11n activity. Two external spinners connected on usb3. Both drives are in a metal cabinet (for sound).

Even 10ft away, I’ve not seen any issues with BT, typing or mousing or battery life. At two weeks in I havn’t killed a charge yet but both are under 50% and going.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
External spinners don't saturate the USB3.0 usually, i used an ssd. Don't remember a spinning drive screwing with BT either

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I never ever ever had problems with the bluetooth on my MM18. Since updating to the latest version of Mojave (from what it shipped with), I've had nothing but bluetooth problems, and have to plug in my Magic Trackpad 2 via USB if I want a stable connection.

Any way to roll back the OS?

b83

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
MY SSD's via USB C ports were causing issues too..

I went out and grabbed a wired keyboard. Another $100aud fixing an issue than never should've existed in the first place.. Cheers Apple

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello there

You can add me to the list! So disappointed by Apple.

Since 2 days, the trackpad lags or the keyboard is not recognized at startup. I have brand new Magic TrackPad & Keyboard. It was remaining 20% when the issue appeared.

I charged it and issue appeared again.

On my MBP 2018, both devices are working flawlessly.

There seems to be something wrong with the Mac mini BT.

I called Apple and my case was escalating to engineers with a dump file. The advisor acknowledged the issue and they are still trying to figure out if it is HW or SW related.

Anyone got more info on that, by any chance ?

Maybe we should ask Macrumors to publish a news in order to shed some lights on this?

Reactions: jbperez808

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I’m not convinced it’s hardware. I never had any problems with my Bluetooth, it seemed to coincide with my upgrading the OS, which I’m now trying to figure out how to roll back.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
I’m not convinced it’s hardware. I never had any problems with my Bluetooth, it seemed to coincide with my upgrading the OS, which I’m now trying to figure out how to roll back.
I had no BT connection problems with my Magic Trackpad 2 on my 2014 Mac mini, but since getting the 2018 mini the Trackpad drops and reconnects about once every hour or two. Same peripherals setup on the new 2018 mini as the old 2014 mini: I just unplugged the old mini and plugged in the new. Both were on the same Mac OS. I’m sorting through USB connections to see if I can find a workaround. Would be nice if it is a software issue that could be fixed in a future update, but judging by what I read online about peripherals and BT interference on other laptop and desktop devices, I have to wonder about hardware. I can live with an inexpensive peripheral adjustment.

Reactions: seble

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I had no BT connection problems with my Magic Trackpad 2 on my 2014 Mac mini, but since getting the 2018 mini the Trackpad drops and reconnects about once every hour or two. Same peripherals setup on the new 2018 mini as the old 2014 mini: I just unplugged the old mini and plugged in the new. Both were on the same Mac OS. I’m sorting through USB connections to see if I can find a workaround. Would be nice if it is a software issue that could be fixed in a future update, but judging by what I read online about peripherals and BT interference on other laptop and desktop devices, I have to wonder about hardware. I can live with an inexpensive peripheral adjustment.

Yeah, I suppose it does also coincide for me with swapping around my USB peripherals. I have an external soundcard that was previously plugged into my wired apple keyboard, since plugging it into the mini (and updating) I’ve had issues. Maybe Apple should supply us all with dongles!

I love this machine on the whole, but I’m not pleased at all with the quality of the products apple is pushing out these days. Will be my last Mac for the next 5+ years for sure.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Actually, I found out that the Eve Room Sensor I bought was "seen" by the mini and that could create some interferences. I moved it a bit further from the mini and now everything works fine.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
What's crazy is that I am even having issues after restarting my mini with my WIRED Apple keyboard and mouse!?!? It is plugged into a powered Anker USB hub and sometimes upon restarting it takes the mini a few minutes for the keyboard and mouse to start working. Not sure what is going on with the mini and peripherals, but Apple needs to address this, and now!

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
What's crazy is that I am even having issues after restarting my mini with my WIRED Apple keyboard and mouse!?!? It is plugged into a powered Anker USB hub and sometimes upon restarting it takes the mini a few minutes for the keyboard and mouse to start working. Not sure what is going on with the mini and peripherals, but Apple needs to address this, and now!
hm, my wired keyboard is working fine

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
My apple keyboard disconnects randomly on my new 21" imac.
what adapter to get?

Last edited:

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
2018 Mac mini. I simply unplugged the old 2014 mini and replaced it with 2018 in early December, with all the same peripherals. The BT Magic Trackpad began disconnecting and reconnecting every hour or two. Then a couple of weeks ago Safari started crawling periodically. Finally it stopped completely and the mini would not connect to our home wifi. Called Apple who were very helpful. First and second level tech support tried a number of software fixes. Removing and replacing the wifi connection in System Preferences worked great for half an hour. But next time I woke the mini from sleep it was again disconnected from wifi and nothing got it going again. After reading this thread, I unplugged the HooToo USB hub, plugged all the peripherals directly into the 2018 mini or the USB hub on my new USB-C Dell minitor, and wifi connected fine. Safari has been quite crisp. No TrackPad drops either. Hope it holds.

Last edited:

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I'm on Mojave that shipped with the mini, 10.14.1. It is very stable. My Magic Trackpad 2 is connected via usb all the time so I don't have to worry about battery running out. I haven't had any bluetooth issues. Are the people with problems on 10.14.2?

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello there

I had a call from Apple. They received several reports of BT issues with the Mac mini 2018. It is still under investigation by the Engineering Team but it appears it comes from the USB3 devices for being "unshielded". The problem is also the wifi antenna at the bottom of the mini: usually they just move the antenna further to avoid this but on the mini, it's not possible.

I was asked to try again tonight with one USB device at a time to rule-out if it is my DAC or USB HDD the culprit.

I am surprised because I never had interference issues with BT on the Mac mini 2014.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
it appears it comes from the USB3 devices for being "unshielded"

This somewhat correlates with what I've seen. If I tried to use the type-A ports for e.g. one of a couple of chinese-brand external SSDs, I had ridiculous BT interference. When I had the Dell monitor's USB3.0 hub plugged in with the cable Dell shipped, it had no interference.

The Dell USB cables are pretty thick, maybe they use more shielding in their cables for this very reason.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
This somewhat correlates with what I've seen. If I tried to use the type-A ports for e.g. one of a couple of chinese-brand external SSDs, I had ridiculous BT interference. When I had the Dell monitor's USB3.0 hub plugged in with the cable Dell shipped, it had no interference.

The Dell USB cables are pretty thick, maybe they use more shielding in their cables for this very reason.
huh.
I also have issues with a cheapo USB enclosure. I don't have any decent cable or enclosure to try tho.

b83

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
I get that it's got to do with the USB3.0 cables, but i never ever had the issues on my Mac Mini 2012 and i too just swapped the old box for the new and the issues started. This is poor on Apple's behalf.

I had the older generation apple wireless keyboard that was powered via 2xAA's. So i've had to go out and buy their new one, which i can at least use their lightning cord to use the keyboard wired.. But at $150aud later and my 2012 keyboard that works perfectly well [besides the **** bluetooth connection], this absolutely stinks.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I don't have any decent cable or enclosure to try tho.
The annoying thing for me is, I even bought a couple of Belkin cables (trying to diagnose a drive disconnecting issue), and I don't remember them being any better specifically re: interference. I'll try and remember to re-test this specifically though.

The BT issue (along with reliability issues - the aforementioned disconnects) has led me to the mindset where I've essentially "given up" on USB for non-trivial things. If it works over USB2 (e.g. a printer or scanner), fine, but otherwise nope. I'll be ordering TB3 portable + desktop drives (Envoy Pro EX and Thunderbay 6) to replace the assortment of USB3.* devices currently in varying degrees of usability. I've probably already lost more money through lost working time trying to diagnose these devices than it will cost me to buy + ship the stuff from OWC over here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.