Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I'm experiencing some weird bluetooth issues (and finder issues too, I'm having to force reboot almost daily) with my 2018 mac mini and I can't quite narrow down the reasons. It worked great for the first 5 months.

Now unlock with apple watch just doesn't work, and my mouse and keyboard don't connect automatically. I get the "no mouse" or "no keyboard" found popups whenever I reboot. I made a hardware change around the time these issues began, connecting my monitor via HDMI instead of via a displayport cable attached to a caldigit thunderbolt 2 dock. Could this be behind it?

sleeperjeff

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
texas
It should work fine as long as the usbc dock moves the usb3 a little away from the Mini. I bet it will work just fine.
Just a thought: if it is the USB type C ports causing the interference why couldn't just put a long cable to one of the USB A ports (they're still 3.1 gen 2 correct) instead and move the HUB away?

Or is the the type A ports causing the issue? Thanks. I'm waiting for mine to be delivered and I'm shocked there is this issue.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I'm shocked there is this issue.
So am I, especially when this isn't a problem on my 2012 Mini or a $325 Lenovo Tiny PC. Either this is a batch of bad bluetooth components that made it to the 2018 Mini or Apple got cheap and used inferior supply parts.

My 2018 i5 Mini which I'm using to type this message keeps disconnecting my Magic Trackpad 2. It doesn't matter if I cold boot everyday, it now just happens everyday. I'm now using a USB wireless HP mouse because unless I connect my lighting cable to my Magic Trackpad 2, it won't work. And to make matters worse, the Trackpad 2 battery is at 87% and literally 1.5 ft away and I'm not using any other USB devices that can interfere with the Magic Trackpad 2.

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
So am I, especially when this isn't a problem on my 2012 Mini or a $325 Lenovo Tiny PC. Either this is a batch of bad bluetooth components that made it to the 2018 Mini or Apple got cheap and used inferior supply parts.

My 2018 i5 Mini which I'm using to type this message keeps disconnecting my Magic Trackpad 2.

Yes, it is sad.

Looks like the Mac-Mini-2018 got very little "real world" testing. I guess they just leave it to the employees, and there were no takers (willing to take it for a spin).

However, with my experience with new-release Dell and HP machines ... seems to be the norm now-days. I get the feeling they just leave it to the ODMs (like they would raise an issue on their own machine).

Mr. Luigi

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion! It has been a nightmare trying to solve the problem I have been having with my 2018 Mac Mini and the inability to have my Apple Watch "Unlock my Mac." After a lot of trial and error, I began to think that my problems centered on Bluetooth and that led me to this discussion. Based on other's suggestions, I disconnected the two USB hubs I had connected to the two USB ports on the Mini, took an Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter I had lying around the house and connected it to one of the USB C ports on the Mini, connected one of my USB hubs to the adapter's USB port, connected my other USB hub to one of the ports on the first USB hub and left the two USB ports on my Mini unused. BOOM!!! Immediately, my Apple Watch began to reliably Unlock my Mac. So, I'm very happy. Having said that, I find it incredible the 2018 Mac Mini has this liability. Even more so, it is incredible Apple has not found a solution to this problem and that it's support staff seems completely unaware of the connection between these Bluetooth liabilities and the failure of the Apple Watch to successfully employ the "Unlock my Mac" functionality.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion! It has been a nightmare trying to solve the problem I have been having with my 2018 Mac Mini and the inability to have my Apple Watch "Unlock my Mac." After a lot of trial and error, I began to think that my problems centered on Bluetooth and that led me to this discussion. Based on other's suggestions, I disconnected the two USB hubs I had connected to the two USB ports on the Mini, took an Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter I had lying around the house and connected it to one of the USB C ports on the Mini, connected one of my USB hubs to the adapter's USB port, connected my other USB hub to one of the ports on the first USB hub and left the two USB ports on my Mini unused. BOOM!!! Immediately, my Apple Watch began to reliably Unlock my Mac. So, I'm very happy. Having said that, I find it incredible the 2018 Mac Mini has this liability. Even more so, it is incredible Apple has not found a solution to this problem and that it's support staff seems completely unaware of the connection between these Bluetooth liabilities and the failure of the Apple Watch to successfully employ the "Unlock my Mac" functionality.

Heh, thanks for sharing your experiences. You just solved my problems above. In the past I had a (3.5", self-powered) hard drive attached to one of the USB A ports so I'd not considered that replacing it with a USB A hub would cause issues. The USB hub isn't powered though. I'm wondering if that's what makes the difference - the additional power draw? Unfortunately I don't think I have a powered USB hub to test.

My issues are fixed though. Woop.

Looks like I need to replace my USB hub with a USB C based one.

Last edited:

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Is anyone currently using an IOGear BlueTooth 4.0 Micro USB adapter (GBU521) to successfully avoid the dreaded BlueTooth disconnects on a 2018 Mini? And if so, how is it deployed and did you need to disable the internal Bluetooth adapter?

Thanks in Advance — GetRealBro

p.s. At least one person posted this worked for them, but it was quite sometime ago. And after buying one I realized that IOGear doesn't support it on Macs.

alexmaa

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2019
Is anyone currently using an IOGear BlueTooth 4.0 Micro USB adapter (GBU521) to successfully avoid the dreaded BlueTooth disconnects on a 2018 Mini? And if so, how is it deployed and did you need to disable the internal Bluetooth adapter?

Thanks in Advance — GetRealBro

p.s. At least one person posted this worked for them, but it was quite sometime ago. And after buying one I realized that IOGear doesn't support it on Macs.

Before plugging in GBU521,
1. Try to get Hardware_IO_Tools_for_Xcode_7.3.dmg which includes bluetooth explorer app to select GBU521 and disable internal bt controller.
2. Choose Apple menu > system preferences, then click Bluetooth. Remove all the devices by click the button 'x' next to device's name.
3. Turn off bluetooth.

Now plugging in GBU521,
1. Run bluetooth explorer app in the file of 'Hardware_IO_Tools_for_Xcode_7.3.dmg'.
2. Select HCI Controller Selector from the 'Tools' menu. Select the GBU521 host controller 'Broadcom Corp, LocationID: xxxxxxx and 'Activate' it.
3. Turn on Bluetooth in system preferences and connect your bt devices.

Please try if above works for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: sauria

gages

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
sudo nvram SkipIOBluetoothHostControllerUARTTransport=%01
PRAM reset to re enable

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Before plugging in GBU521,
1. Try to get Hardware_IO_Tools_for_Xcode_7.3.dmg which includes bluetooth explorer app to select GBU521 and disable internal bt controller.
2. Choose Apple menu > system preferences, then click Bluetooth. Remove all the devices by click the button 'x' next to device's name.
3. Turn off bluetooth.

Now plugging in GBU521,
1. Run bluetooth explorer app in the file of 'Hardware_IO_Tools_for_Xcode_7.3.dmg'.
2. Select HCI Controller Selector from the 'Tools' menu. Select the GBU521 host controller 'Broadcom Coup, LocationID: xxxxxxx and 'Activate' it.
3. Turn on Bluetooth in system preferences and connect your bt devices.

Please try if above works for you.
Thanks for the instructions. They worked! I’ll report back on how well this fixes the BT disconnect issue after I’ve had a chance to try it for awhile :)

For others who may want to try this…
After signing in with an AppleID, I downloaded “Hardware IO Tools for Xcode 7.3” from https://developer.apple.com/download/more/ and followed alexmaa’s instructions.

Note: You’ll need a USB keyboard to be able to authenticate activating the IOGear BT dongle:(

GetRealBro
[automerge]1579621371[/automerge]
PRAM reset to re enable
I’m assuming this terminal command keeps the Mini from reverting to the builtin BT on restart. Is that correct?

GetRealBro

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Thanks to alexmaa and gages…
* the IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Transmitter is working,
* I have installed Bluetooth Explorer and
* I am in the process of learning way more about Bluetooth than I ever wanted to know :)

I wish I could report a stunning success. But I’m still getting Disconnects and Timeouts (i.e. 24 & 4 so far) on my only current paired Bluetooth peripheral — a compact Apple Bluetooth Keyboard (A1314).

The IOGear BT adapter is plugged into one of the USB ports on a Satechi Type-C Aluminum Stand & Hub for Mac Mini. This puts it out front of the Mini with a clear line of sight to the Apple BT keyboard when it is on the desk top. But not when I’m leaned back, with my legs resting on the desk and the keyboard is in my lap. Note: the Apple BT keyboard has a plastic antenna window in the center which is partially blocked in this position by my leg.

One of the interesting displays in Bluetooth Explorer is the Connection Quality Window, which includes 4 real time graphs: RSSI, Raw RSSI, Link Quality and Transmit power. BTW - RSSI is the Received Signal Strength Indication.

The RSSI drops dramatically when the keyboard is resting on my lap and rises immediately when I just lift the keyboard a little, which gives the plastic window line of sight to the IOGear BT transmitter. So in my case the Bluetooth disconnects on my keyboard maybe more of a keyboard design/usage issue than a 2018 Mini BlueTooth shielding issue.

I just paired an Apple BT Mouse and will report back how that goes.

GetRealBro

Last edited:

alexmaa

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2019
Thanks to alexmaa and gages…
* the IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Transmitter is working,
* I have installed Bluetooth Explorer and
* I am in the process of learning way more about Bluetooth than I ever wanted to know :)

I wish I could report a stunning success. But I’m still getting Disconnects and Timeouts (i.e. 24 & 4 so far) on my only current paired Bluetooth peripheral — a compact Apple Bluetooth Keyboard (A1314).

The IOGear BT adapter is plugged into one of the USB ports on a Satechi Type-C Aluminum Stand & Hub for Mac Mini. This puts it out front of the Mini with a clear line of sight to the Apple BT keyboard when it is on the desk top. But not when I’m leaned back, with my legs resting on the desk and the keyboard is in my lap. Note: the Apple BT keyboard has a plastic antenna window in the center which is partially blocked in this position by my leg.

One of the interesting displays in Bluetooth Explorer is the Connection Quality Window, which includes 4 real time graphs: RSSI, Raw RSSI, Link Quality and Transmit power. BTW - RSSI is the Received Signal Strength Indication.

The RSSI drops dramatically when the keyboard is resting on my lap and rises immediately when I just lift the keyboard a little, which gives the plastic window line of sight to the IOGear BT transmitter. So in my case the Bluetooth disconnects on my keyboard maybe more of a keyboard design/usage issue than a 2018 Mini BlueTooth shielding issue.

I just paired an Apple BT Mouse and will report back how that goes.

GetRealBro

Great to hear it works for you.
I use wired keyboard and RF wireless mouse. IOGear is only used for BT wireless headphones. RSSI reading is great and steady.
Only thing to remember is to reselect IOGear GBU521 by Bluetooth Explorer after each reboot. (after rebooting, default bt controller is internal one.)

By the way, if you want to change the connection port of GBU521, it's best to remove paired devices and re-pair them after GBU521 plugged into the new port.

Last edited:

gages

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
The terminal command disables the internal btooth all together, only way to reactivate is with a pram reset.

Trick I use is to get a USB A extender, and move the dongle far away from the machine.

Reactions: getrealbro

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Testing cont'd...
The Apple Magic Mouse never disconnected yesterday. And the Apple BT Keyboard (A1314) remained connected — as long as it was on the desktop with clear line of sight to the IOGear BT USB dongle.

So this AM I switched back to using my Logitech Wireless RF mouse and began testing a current model rechargeable Apple Magic Keyboard. Given Apple’s recent preference for anorexic designs, it’s not surprising that this keyboard has an even smaller little plastic antenna window at the far left. This antenna location makes the line of sight issue even worse. The test results were not promising. The RSSI graphs of both Apple BT Keyboards looked almost identical, whenever they didn’t have a direct line of sight to the BT dongle. When the RSSI dropped, with either keyboard, typing became problematic with keystrokes often ignored, delayed or repeated multiple times. And of course there were the occasional BT disconnects :(

As gages pointed out, one advantage of a BT USB dongle is that it can be moved to get a better line of sight for problematic BT peripherals. So I’ve moved the IOGear BT dongle to the end of a USB extender and taped it to the top of my monitor. It looks seriously dorky — but so far it’s working a whole lot better :)

GetRealBro

gages

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
Mine is mounted under my desk. You don't need line of site for it to work well.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Mine is mounted under my desk. You don't need line of site for it to work well.
Hmm… What BT peripherals are you using? And where are they located with respect to your BT dongle mounted under your desk?

FWIW the line of sight issues I’m testing involve hands, legs, etc. IOW materials with a high percent of water. If i place a 1/4” thick piece of dry wood between the keyboard and the BT dongle there is almost no change in the Raw RSSI but placing a hand in the same position lowers the Raw RSSI a lot more. And so far in my testing the Raw RSSI graph has been a pretty good indicator of when I see keyboard disconnects and flaky keyboard behavior (missing/delayed keystrokes, repeated keystrokes, etc.)

Raw RSSI Grap.jpg

GetRealBro

gages

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
Dongle all the way on the right side underside of the desk. Magic mouse and Kbd. Bluetooth headphones. No issues.......

Attachments

• IMG_5310.jpeg
    IMG_5310.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 239

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Dongle all the way on the right side underside of the desk. Magic mouse and Kbd. Bluetooth headphones. No issues.......
Thanks. Your photo helps a lot.

FWIW one of the interesting things I discovered in my Bluetooth keyboard testing is that I get the best Raw RSSI readings when the IOGear BT dongle is below the keyboards. I’m guessing this is because the base of the current model Apple Magic Keyboard is all plastic. And the plastic window in the older model A1314 keyboard wraps down underneath the round section that houses the batteries, etc.. Of course that doesn't apply if the keyboard is in my lap :)

In any case, since I taped the IOGear BT Transmitter to to top of my monitor I have not had any BT disconnects, even when my feet are up on my desk and I’m using the keyboard in my lap :)

Thanks again for posting your experinces — GetRealBro

gages

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
Raw RSSI readings not necessarily the best real world indicator. Took me a while to get this right. Glad you found a path.

nanoant

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2015
Baden, Switzerland
gages said:
PRAM reset to re enable
I’m assuming this terminal command keeps the Mini from reverting to the builtin BT on restart. Is that correct?

GetRealBro

Yes, sudo nvram SkipIOBluetoothHostControllerUARTTransport=%01 disables built-in Mac mini BT on boot, making USB BT dongle preferred (active) BT device everytime macOS starts. All other (e.g. Bluetooth Explorer) solutions are effective only until next reboot, when faulty built-in BT takes over again.

Also you don't need to reset NVRAM to revert this setting. As long you can type on your keyboard, you can revert it via sudo nvram -d SkipIOBluetoothHostControllerUARTTransport
without affecting rest of your NVRAM settings.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
...Also you don't need to reset NVRAM to revert this setting. As long you can type on your keyboard, you can revert it via sudo nvram -d SkipIOBluetoothHostControllerUARTTransport
Thanks for this info.

One of the nice things about the current Apple BT keyboard is that it can be used as a wired keyboard when plugged in via a USB-lightning cable.

GetRealBro

alexmaa

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2019
Also you don't need to reset NVRAM to revert this setting. As long you can type on your keyboard, you can revert it via sudo nvram -d SkipIOBluetoothHostControllerUARTTransport

@nanoant Thanks
Great to not reset NVRAM to revert the setting. I switch to this way to disable internal BT.

blakeclark777

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2020
Hello all,

I've been a lurker on this post for while, hoping that a fix for the bluetooth issues with the mac mini would be found. Surprisingly enough, turning off FileVault fixed all of my bluetooth issues.

My magic mouse and apple keyboard would work perfectly with my mac mini, however, when I changed my mouse to the Logitech MX Master 2 and my keyboard to the Keychron K2, I started experiencing bluetooth connectivity issues. If I restarted my mac mini, the bluetooth would fail to connect to the Logitech MX Master 2 and the Keychron K2, causing me to get stuck at the login screen. This issue wasn't encountered with the magic mouse and apple keyboard.

Not being able to login because of the mentioned bluetooth connectivity issue, I was given a prompt to restart my mac mini using the power button to go into recovery mode. In recovery mode, it stated that my keyboard may not be compatible with FileVault and to either turn FileVault off, or try using a different keyboard. For the last time I used my magic mouse and apple keyboard to login, turned off Filevault, restarted. The Logitech MX Master 2 mouse and Keychron K2 keyboard connected upon boot. Finally, my mouse and keyboard work 100% of the time.

Honestly, this seems like something Apple needs to fix, but has instead relied on a workaround (turning off Filevault).

Well, I hope my post is helpful to someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.