Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
doesnt surprise me, with the new codecs in QT and all, when is this software shipping anyways? could be after Tiger is released im sure, or maybe its a typo :rolleyes:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You can bet they are working on .1 to Tiger. Should fix a multitude of bugs not caught in the GM. I for one, can't wait to upgrade to FCP 5.0 and DVD SP 4.0. I have 200GB of HDV footage ready to be edited. Was hinging all my future profits on Apple releasing a native-HDV editing solution, and they delivered. It pays to attend those WWDC meetings.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Sony Corners HDV Market for This Year with HVR-Z1U

Lacero said:
You can bet they are working on .1 to Tiger. Should fix a multitude of bugs not caught in the GM. I for one, can't wait to upgrade to FCP 5.0 and DVD SP 4.0. I have 200GB of HDV footage ready to be edited. Was hinging all my future profits on Apple releasing a native-HDV editing solution, and they delivered. It pays to attend those WWDC meetings.
Panasonic and JVC both passed on inexpensive HDV cameras toady. The Sony HVR-Z1U is the only game in town as far as I can see. I am shocked that JVC and Panasonic both passed on presenting any competition to Sony's obvious home run today. At least the choice is easy to make since there is no choice.

And the HVR-M10U HDV Deck is the other obvious choice. I thought this was going to be hard to figure out. As usual Sony leads the way. :)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Hey! Dont tease me! I want my new iMac 2 GHz with 128 MB VRAM NOW! (so that I could run Tiger and FCP 5 at full blast) :D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Who buys FCP 5 to run it on their iMac? Obviously, in Mother Russia, FCP owns you!

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Hmm.. when have I previously seen this..? Umm.. OH! It was when I stopped having the newest OS (Jaguar), and Panther came to town. Soon, newer versions of Safari won't be supported in Panther either, and the story goes on.. :)

Still debating wether to get Tiger. They have said they'll slow down the new-os-frequency, so that's a good thing for poor students.. :D

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
mkrishnan said:
So is the $69 student price! Whip that wallet out, this instant! :D

Hey, you get it cheap in the US. Apple charges us students $125 here in Norway. That is $100 ex. vat. And I'll have to either get a DVD-drive, or cough up extra for the cd-version of Tiger. Grr.. :(

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Poff said:
Hey, you get it cheap in the US. Apple charges us students $125 here in Norway. That is $100 ex. vat. And I'll have to either get a DVD-drive, or cough up extra for the cd-version of Tiger. Grr.. :(

Hmmm, you're right, I didn't notice your location. Sorry! :(

eSnow

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
Rush job?

So crucify me, but it seems that 10.4.0 is a rush job worse than 10.3.0 was (if you remember the FireWire problems and some system instabilities). Reading this, I won't install 10.4 until 10.4.1 is out and tested by some pals of mine.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
eSnow said:
So crucify me, but it seems that 10.4.0 is a rush job worse than 10.3.0 was (if you remember the FireWire problems and some system instabilities). Reading this, I won't install 10.4 until 10.4.1 is out and tested by some pals of mine.

if using standard (whereas this means, no shareware, freeware, demos) software, x.4 seems stable.

Pipian

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
This also pretty much tells us that the next PM G5 WILL have Dual Layer burning, as that's one of the features of DVD Studio 4.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I bet 10.4.1 will be out within a few days of when Tiger is out, if not on Software Update for release day.

It makes sense to release and go ahead and start patchwork on the last minor bugs.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Lacero said:
Who buys FCP 5 to run it on their iMac? Obviously, in Mother Russia, FCP owns you!

Oh please don't bring the "in Mother Russia......" jokes here. I read more than enough of them in the Anandtech forums and while a very few are funny the whole thing gets rather lame. Hopefully the folks here don't catch the Mother Russia Bug.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
eSnow said:
Well, it sounds like you won't have to long a wait for 10.4.1, so you won't die of frustration waiting for it.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Panasonic and JVC both passed on inexpensive HDV cameras toady. The Sony HVR-Z1U is the only game in town as far as I can see. I am shocked that JVC and Panasonic both passed on presenting any competition to Sony's obvious home run today. At least the choice is easy to make since there is no choice.

While they're not cheap I'm excited about the JVC ProHDV camera and the Panny P2 camera that should be on display today. Maybe now that all the HDV cams are 3 chippers we'll see a sub $2k HDV cam.

CamcorderInfo has info on the new Panny P2 cam

At a press conference at the National Association of Broadcasters annual convention in Las Vegas today, Panasonic announced the AG-HVX2000 High Definition camcorder for $5,995. The new camcorder records DVCPRO50, DVCPROHD and DV video to solid state P2 flash media cards at a 16:9 aspect ratio. The camcorder can also record a standard DV signal to MiniDV tapes. The AG-HVX200 features three 1/3 in. CCDs and can record 1080 lines of resolution high definition video at 60 frames per second interlaced, 30 frames per second progressive as well as 24 frames progressive video. The camcorder can also shoot 720 lines of resolution high definition video as well as standard definition video.

NICE!

danman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2002
10.4 crap

Bear said:
Well, it sounds like you won't have to long a wait for 10.4.1, so you won't die of frustration waiting for it.

I can tell you it will be a good idea to wait for 10.4.1, maybe even 10.4.2 if .1 is coming so soon...

I have played with 10.4 (8a425, wheras GM was 8a428) and it is a piece of crap. Visual glitches, erratic behaviours (not crashing tho) - the new mail client lacks polish.

It just doesn't feel done, yet. Apples worse OS X release yet i.m.o.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
just been looking at the system requirements

and it says i would need a G5 to author HD DVD --- now ... the way i understand final cut pro 5 works is that it will convert HDV footage to uncompressed HD

hypothetically if i wanted to author my HDV footage on to DVD, i would loose the benefits of working with HDV because i wouldn't be able to author it at HD considering i don't have a G5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.