Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Bob Knob said:
The info on the new JVC model is up, and it is HDV:

JVC GY-HD100U
"Deep inside the GY-HD100U is a truly advanced progressive camera that sets a new benchmark in the industry."

Anytime a manufacturer uses marketing words like that to describe their product, you know it's going to suck big time.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
Ok, so I'm totally confused.
Is DVD SP4 able to burn HD DVDs as in the HD DVDs that are in the format war with Blue-ray to replace DVDs? And able to burn these from a Superdrive?

And will 10.4.1 and DVD Player 4.6 allow these HD DVDs (the same Blu-Ray competing ones) to be played using a Superdrive?

Or is "HD DVD" just full-quality HD on a normal DVD?

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
chameeeleon said:
Ok, so I'm totally confused.
Is DVD SP4 able to burn HD DVDs as in the HD DVDs that are in the format war with Blue-ray to replace DVDs? And able to burn these from a Superdrive?

And will 10.4.1 and DVD Player 4.6 allow these HD DVDs (the same Blu-Ray competing ones) to be played using a Superdrive?

Or is "HD DVD" just full-quality HD on a normal DVD?

Yes it is confusing . . .

DVDSP 4 allows HD content to be encoded and burned onto existing DVD technology, ie red laser DVD. Blu-Ray and "HD-DVD" are different and is not the HD DVD that we are talking about. The reason why it requires 10.4.1 is becuase 10.4.0 doesn't have the new version of DVD player to support the HD DVDs made in DVDSP, which is why users will need to update if they which to use this feature.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
t^3 said:
Did they change it to 10.4, because I can't find where it says 10.4.1 on the linked page.
You're right. Currently the DVDSP 4 tech specs page says "10.4 or later," not "10.4.1."

Bob Knob said:

JVC GY-HD100U
That is awesome. Thank you for posting that link. Now I just have to get enough contracts for two camera shoots where I could use that as my primary camera and my HD10 for backup or wide-shot duty. :) At $6295 retail it's not bad at all.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Rod Rod said:
That is awesome. Thank you for posting that link. Now I just have to get enough contracts for two camera shoots where I could use that as my primary camera and my HD10 for backup or wide-shot duty. :) At $6295 retail it's not bad at all.

I read up a little on it, and the JVC only does 24p and 30p, on all resolutions. I know most people are trying to get away from the "video look" of interlace video, but some customers may actually like that. I do like the Fujion interchangeable lenses on it, and that's it's shoulder mount, that's hot.

Another thing, every article I read comparing the sony and jvc to the panny all seemed biased toward the panny and when they compare prices they don't include the cost of P2 cards that are Required to use the HD features, which raise the price by $4,000. :eek:

The panny is great on paper and SEEMS like it should be nicer all around, but not untill I see all 3 side by side will I make any jump. Looks like im gonna rent for a little bit.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Bob Knob said:

JVC GY-HD100U

Well, technically its "ProHD" developed by JVC based on HDV. Basically it's their version of HDV that supports 24p, that's the big change. It still records in GOP MPEG2, like all other HDV cams. Oddly enough though, it doesn't support interlaced video, oh well . . .

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
HD DVD.

Laslo Panaflex said:
Nope. It works on existing drives with existing hardware, all you need is 10.4.1 and a G5. Basically DVDSP 4 encodes the HD footage in h.264 format, so technically, when red laser DVD players come out that can decode h.264 we can have HD-DVD. I wouldn't be surprised if a red laser based DVD player with h.264 support comes out before a blu-ray dvd burner/player.

Yes, this is confusing. We now have THREE discs that can be called "HD-DVD".

First is the one that is truly named HD-DVD. It is a new technology disc, that is made so drives can be backward compatible with conventional DVD (the same way DVD was designed so drives would be backward compatible with CD.) This uses one of three different encoding schemes, H.264 is one of them.

Second is Blu-Ray. It's the major competitor to HD-DVD. It has the advantage that it is truly available right now. (You can buy a home-component Blu-Ray recorder from Sony in Japan right now, but it costs a fortune.) It also has multiple encoding schemes, including H.264. This is the one Apple has officially backed. Its downside is lack of backward compatibility; but that CAN be solved by adding a second laser. (Sony acutally used two different lasers in their early DVD players to improve compatibility with CDs, so it's possible for them to do the same basic thing here.)

Third is this new version Apple has introduced. It is H.264 content on a current physical DVD disc. It can be read by any normal DVD player as a disc, but the HD content will currently only play back on a G5 Mac running the appropriate software. (Which isn't actually available yet.) It is not physically different from a current DVD; only the content stored on it is different.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
Ok, cool. Thanks for clarifying.
So basically, if it's HD-DVD (with the "-"), it's the next-gen DVD replacement up against Blu-Ray. If it's HD DVD it's Apple's weird new high definition/DVD hybrid.
Got it.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
ehurtley said:
Second is Blu-Ray. It's the major competitor to HD-DVD. It has the advantage that it is truly available right now. (You can buy a home-component Blu-Ray recorder from Sony in Japan right now, but it costs a fortune.) It also has multiple encoding schemes, including H.264. This is the one Apple has officially backed. Its downside is lack of backward compatibility; but that CAN be solved by adding a second laser. (Sony acutally used two different lasers in their early DVD players to improve compatibility with CDs, so it's possible for them to do the same basic thing here.)
No, Apple has officially backed BOTH Blu-Ray and HD DVD. Please read about it in the fifth paragraph of this Apple press release.

Anyhow, HD DVDs authored in DVDSP 4 and burned onto conventional DVD±R/RW will play back on commercial HD DVD players. Apple is demonstrating this using a prototype Toshiba set-top player at NAB right now.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Laslo Panaflex said:
I read up a little on it, and the JVC only does 24p and 30p, on all resolutions. I know most people are trying to get away from the "video look" of interlace video, but some customers may actually like that. I do like the Fujion interchangeable lenses on it, and that's it's shoulder mount, that's hot.

Another thing, every article I read comparing the sony and jvc to the panny all seemed biased toward the panny and when they compare prices they don't include the cost of P2 cards that are Required to use the HD features, which raise the price by $4,000. :eek:

The panny is great on paper and SEEMS like it should be nicer all around, but not untill I see all 3 side by side will I make any jump. Looks like im gonna rent for a little bit.
I agree regarding the overall level of enthusiasm surrounding Panasonic's cameras. I think it's great that each camera maker has come up with such distinct solutions to low-cost HD acquisition. It's like choosing different flavors of ice cream, just about. Some people prefer the interlace look and others prefer progressive. A lot of people are getting wrapped up in paper comparisons. It'll be great to see them all side by side. Maybe Adam Wilt or Scott Billups will conduct some sort of lab tests for pixel accuracy and such.

Anecdotally, the horizontal resolution loss is noticeable to me when transcoding my 720p m2t files to DVCProHD. I'm looking forward to FCP5 so I no longer have to compromise on resolution.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Multimedia said:
Panasonic and JVC both passed on inexpensive HDV cameras toady. The Sony HVR-Z1U is the only game in town as far as I can see. I am shocked that JVC and Panasonic both passed on presenting any competition to Sony's obvious home run today. At least the choice is easy to make since there is no choice.

And the HVR-M10U HDV Deck is the other obvious choice. I thought this was going to be hard to figure out. As usual Sony leads the way. :)

Interesting piece about the new Panasonic on Engadget today - http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000913040488/

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Crikey said:
Heh, what's that, about ten minutes worth? :)

Crikey
720p HDV takes about 8.9GB per hour.
1080i HDV takes about 11.25GB per hour.

If he has 200GB of 720p, it's almost 22.5 hours.
If he has 200GB of 1080i, it's approximately 17 hours, 45 minutes.

killergator

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2003
orlando
So crucify me, but it seems that 10.4.0 is a rush job worse than 10.3.0 was (if you remember the FireWire problems and some system instabilities). Reading this, I won't install 10.4 until 10.4.1 is out and tested by some pals of mine.

No Way Tiger is or was a rush job. I have been getting the seeds from adc since the first seed. It has been a long development process. I am using the last seed before GM and I have had 0 problems with it. I like it the best out of all the OS iterations so far and have had 0 problem getting mysql or Jabber to compile and run on it. That being said - Do not for any reason try to install this on a g3 @600mhz. Turns it into a pentium 2.

P.S. stealing is stealing and I don't give a hoot how expensive it is in your country, you steal it and you are hurting everyone including apple. I don't feel like subsidising you by paying higher prices for the software so that apple can recoup the cost of you stealing it. There is no justification!

rubberband

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2005
Macrumors said:

DVD Studio Pro 4 lists Mac OS X 10.4.1 as a requirement for playing back HD DVDs.

DVD Studio Pro was introduced on Sunday, April 17 at the NAB conference in Las Vegas.

Meanwhile, Mac OS X 10.4.0 (Tiger) has been announced, but not yet released... and is due on April 29th.

I'd like to know who was the CLOWN who wrote this! I just read the the requirements for DVD Studio Pro and, it reads:

For Playing Back HD DVDs

* Macintosh computer with PowerPC G5
* Apple DVD Player v4.6
* Mac OS X v10.4 or later

So. 10.4 for sure 'cause it comes with the NEW DVD PLAYER AND!!! "LATER" BECASUE BLUE RAY AND HD-DVD ARE TO COME OUT SOON AND APPLE is TO CHOOSE A DRIVE AND THEN DVD PLAYER WOULD HAVE TO BE UPDATED TO SUPPORT IT !!

I understand that this is a complicated concept for the lead on this topic so look at it this way:

1. Apple wants to lead in HD, so they launch HD apps ei. dvd studio pro 4, final cut pro 5 and so on

2. With this in MIND, Tiger brings hd playback with its dvd player

3. Now, this is tricky for you, i got that. Updates!!! wow!!. Apple introduces updates for future hardware...aka the missing link:

create -> watch -> burn

dvd studio -> dvd player -> ?

so, again. when the winner (blue-ray or hd-dvd) gets here you will need support for it.... aka 10.4.1 MAYBE! OR oh, my g-d, 10.4.9 'cause hd-dvd didnt make it.

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
rubberband said:
I'd like to know who was the CLOWN who wrote this! I just read the the requirements for DVD Studio Pro and, it reads:

For Playing Back HD DVDs

* Macintosh computer with PowerPC G5
* Apple DVD Player v4.6
* Mac OS X v10.4 or later

And had you read this discussion you would have seen that Apple changed/corrected the specs on their site mid discussion.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Bob Knob said:
And had you read this discussion you would have seen that Apple changed/corrected the specs on their site mid discussion.
Had he/she read the discussion he/she couldn't have written such a goofy, pointless and condescending post. However, reading a discussion before posting is a complicated concept, and although it may seem tricky it helps prevent looking like a clown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.