Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Xpert

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2003
The Netherlands
Pipian said:
This also pretty much tells us that the next PM G5 WILL have Dual Layer burning, as that's one of the features of DVD Studio 4.
Actually it appears that Apple already ships some G5 with a 16x dual layer burning superdrive (108AA) but cripples its firmware so that it shows up as a 117D in the system profile. This was discovered by Mac Bidouille. So people that bought their G5 recently might like to check this out. If you have this burner and a PC available you could upgrade to dual layer burning yourself :)

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
revenuee said:
just been looking at the system requirements

and it says i would need a G5 to author HD DVD --- now ... the way i understand final cut pro 5 works is that it will convert HDV footage to uncompressed HD

hypothetically if i wanted to author my HDV footage on to DVD, i would loose the benefits of working with HDV because i wouldn't be able to author it at HD considering i don't have a G5?

FCP 5 does no converting of HDV, you edit it in its native Long GOP Mpeg2 format. Yes, you are correct on not being able to author a HD-DVD with DVDSP 4, but you will not lose the benefits of HDV, since you can encode it at a lower resolution and still have nice results.

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Mac-Xpert said:
Actually it appears that Apple already ships some G5 with a 16x dual layer burning superdrive (108AA) but cripples its firmware so that it shows up as a 117D in the system profile. This was discovered by Mac Bidouille. So people that bought their G5 recently might like to check this out. If you have this burner and a PC available you could upgrade to dual layer burning yourself :)

Same with the Sony drive shipping in the PMs... It is actually a Lite-On. Hopefully Apple just releases a patch to enable DL.

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
revenuee said:
just been looking at the system requirements

and it says i would need a G5 to author HD DVD --- now ... the way i understand final cut pro 5 works is that it will convert HDV footage to uncompressed HD

hypothetically if i wanted to author my HDV footage on to DVD, i would loose the benefits of working with HDV because i wouldn't be able to author it at HD considering i don't have a G5?

HDV is an evolving standard. There are a lot of questions right now about it's longevity. I hope you haven't already invested heavily in HDV. There isn't any way to play HD back at this time on DVD disk.

By the way, the quote- "The Mac is idiot proof. If you break it, you're an idiot." is wrong. Logically, it should be, "The Mac is idiot proof. If you break it, you're NOT an idiot."

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
melgross said:
HDV is an evolving standard. There are a lot of questions right now about it's longevity. I hope you haven't already invested heavily in HDV. There isn't any way to play HD back at this time on DVD disk.

Wha?!?!?

HDV is not an evolving standard, by definition it is a standard, it's technical aspects are not going to change. I do agree with you on it's longevity being up in the air, but I think that sony is the only viable solution for low cost HD production, and with the advent of FCP 5 and native HDV editing, it makes the Sony cams a great choice.

I was waiting for NAB before getting to much into HD production, but now I think I am going to rent a FX1 and give it a shot when I get my hands on FCP5. The new panny cam is nicer, and records in DVCPRO HD, which IMHO is better than HDV, but the camera will be around $10,000 when you include the cost of the 2 8GB P2 cards that you NEED to be able to record in HD. But it's no surprise that Panny didn't release a HDV camera, they are the only ones not supporting it . . .

As for not being able to HD on DVD disk, that what DVDSP 4 lets you do, but of course you can only play it back on your G5 mac, which is better than nothing. I guess we still have to wait for the first blu-ray drives to come out before we see any set top solution to HD DVD playback.

Mac-Xpert

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2003
The Netherlands
point665 said:
Same with the Sony drive shipping in the PMs... It is actually a Lite-On. Hopefully Apple just releases a patch to enable DL.
That would indeed be nice. My machine here has a 107D however, so no dual layer burning for me. ;)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Laslo Panaflex said:
The new panny cam is nicer, and records in DVCPRO HD, which is better than HDV, but the camera will be around $10,000 when you include the cost of the 2 8GB P2 cards that you NEED to be able to record in HD.

8 minutes of HD. Give me a break.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
Nermal said:
10.4.1 includes DVD Player 4.6, which is needed for playing HD DVD.

Another thing I think you need is a drive capable of playing back the disks too. So 10.4.1 and DVD Player 4.6 provide the software but where is the hardware? Either the new powermacs have a drive built in or you are stuck with 3rd party drives which don't exist either. Or the next generation PM will have a blue laser drive of whatever flavor and then the 10.4.1 will be old news because we will be on 10.4.4 or something.

I almost think that this information also hints at a High Def player/burner of sorts in the rumored PowerMacs. I think the PM should go back to dual drive capable and include a dual layer and a blue laser drive so as to bridge the gap between SD and HD.

Hiroshige

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2004
melgross said:
By the way, the quote- "The Mac is idiot proof. If you break it, you're an idiot." is wrong. Logically, it should be, "The Mac is idiot proof. If you break it, you're NOT an idiot."

Maybe the quote means "The Mac is an idiot "proving" machine. If you break it, it proves your an idiot." There must be a term for that sort of a use of words.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
swissmann said:
Another thing I think you need is a drive capable of playing back the disks too.

Nope. It works on existing drives with existing hardware, all you need is 10.4.1 and a G5. Basically DVDSP 4 encodes the HD footage in h.264 format, so technically, when red laser DVD players come out that can decode h.264 we can have HD-DVD. I wouldn't be surprised if a red laser based DVD player with h.264 support comes out before a blu-ray dvd burner/player.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
eSnow said:
So crucify me, but it seems that 10.4.0 is a rush job worse than 10.3.0 was (if you remember the FireWire problems and some system instabilities). Reading this, I won't install 10.4 until 10.4.1 is out and tested by some pals of mine.

Those Firewire bugs have not yet gone away with 10.3.9. Here's to hoping Tiger does kill them, but I'm not holding my breath. See this FAQ how to circumvent the bugs:

http://www.macmaps.com/firewirebug2.html

And see this FAQ how to properly upgrade your system to avoid the bug:

http://www.macmaps.com/upgradefaq.html

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I feel much more comfortable about Tiger knowing that 10.4.1 will be available soon. We will know all about how well Tiger is functioning the 29th.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
danman said:
I can tell you it will be a good idea to wait for 10.4.1, maybe even 10.4.2 if .1 is coming so soon...

I have played with 10.4 (8a425, wheras GM was 8a428) and it is a piece of crap. Visual glitches, erratic behaviours (not crashing tho) - the new mail client lacks polish.

It just doesn't feel done, yet. Apples worse OS X release yet i.m.o.
Actually, the build number of the GM is only rumored to be 8A428. If that *is* the GM build, then Apple has had plenty of time to work on 10.4.1, since 8A428 will have been around for more than 4 weeks by the time Tiger is released.

When Panther was released, 10.3.1 came out 2 weeks later and 10.3.2 came out a month after 10.3.1.

Judging the quality of released software based on a developer seed is not going to yield reliable results, IMO.

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
Laslo Panaflex said:
Wha?!?!?

HDV is not an evolving standard, by definition it is a standard, it's technical aspects are not going to change. I do agree with you on it's longevity being up in the air, but I think that sony is the only viable solution for low cost HD production, and with the advent of FCP 5 and native HDV editing, it makes the Sony cams a great choice.

I was waiting for NAB before getting to much into HD production, but now I think I am going to rent a FX1 and give it a shot when I get my hands on FCP5. The new panny cam is nicer, and records in DVCPRO HD, which is better than HDV, but the camera will be around $10,000 when you include the cost of the 2 8GB P2 cards that you NEED to be able to record in HD. But it's no surprise that Panny didn't release a HDV camera, they are the only ones not supporting it . . .

As for not being able to HD on DVD disk, that what DVDSP 4 lets you do, but of course you can only play it back on your G5 mac, which is better than nothing. I guess we still have to wait for the first blu-ray drives to come out before we see any set top solution to HD DVD playback.

On the contrary, the "standard" has not finished evolving. In the latest edition of DV magazine there is an article about Panasonic's new camera that has been expected at the NAB. In the article they mention that Panasonic has not been happy about DVC's data rate, which they say is too low, "bit-starved" they call it. They've been hinting at a camera that records at a higher rate.

As FCB is responsible for the interest in HDV (their words, not mine), and Apple and Panasonic have been cooperating on this front, it's not too difficult to see Panasonic coming out with a higher bit-rate HDVCam, and Apple supporting it.

If that happens, and it has a better visual impact (HDV has been accused of being "just good enough", then we might see others support it as well. Noise right now is a big problem with HDV, a higher bit-rate will help to lessen this.

It's going to take another year before this shakes out.

The P2 idea is interesting, but won't get popular until the cost comes down.

As far as playability goes, being able to play it back on a high-end machine does not qualify it as being actually widely usable. Lack of viable playback right now is acknowledged as being the biggest problem with HD.

There is also a good article on HDV starting on page 48. It can give the arguments that we don't have the ability to type out here.

Why don't you read it and then come back.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
danman said:
It just doesn't feel done, yet. Apples worse OS X release yet i.m.o.

You quite obviously didn't use 10.0 ;).

As for all this Mother Russia business, would someone mind explaining?

Now that that's out of the way, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't just ship 10.4.0 with DVD Player 4.6 out of the box, which makes me wonder what other changes they've made. Time will tell.
-Chase

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Laslo Panaflex said:
The new panny cam is nicer, and records in DVCPRO HD, which is better than HDV..
Better in what way? If you talking about encoding efficiency, HDV is better. If you are talking about spatial quality, HDV is better. If you are talking about HD frame sizes and format support, HDV is better. If you are talking about benefit/cost ratio of acquisition and support, HDV is better. How exactly is DVCPRO HD better?

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
melgross said:
On the contrary, the "standard" has not finished evolving. In the latest edition of DV magazine there is an article about Panasonic's new camera that has been expected at the NAB. In the article they mention that Panasonic has not been happy about DVC's data rate, which they say is too low, "bit-starved" they call it. They've been hinting at a camera that records at a higher rate.

What? You are talking about DVC, I was talking about HDV, they are totally different. Sure each standard "evolves" slightly, but it is transparent from the user endpoint, and doesn't change the overall way you use it. I would be interested in reading on how HDV is evolving and what tweaks they have planned in the future for it, if you have any info on that. To me evolving is a huge step, like DV to HDV, they are both totally different, but yet HDV evolved from DV. HDV is in its infantcy, and will not be evolving into someting new anytime soon, fall of the face off the planet, maybe, but not changing too drastically in the near future.

As FCB is responsible for the interest in HDV (their words, not mine), and Apple and Panasonic have been cooperating on this front, it's not too difficult to see Panasonic coming out with a higher bit-rate HDVCam, and Apple supporting it.

What? Panasonic is not a part of the HDV consortuim, at least as far as I know, they back DVCPRO HD, and that is what their new camera just annouced today supports, not HDV. It will be a while, if ever Panny comes out with a HDV solution.

If that happens, and it has a better visual impact (HDV has been accused of being "just good enough", then we might see others support it as well. Noise right now is a big problem with HDV, a higher bit-rate will help to lessen this.

HDV is by no means the best out there, but it is BY FAR the most affordable, and does a decent job. Higher bitrates are a hardware solution for down the road, perhaps the next generation camera's will encode in H.264, which from the user endpoint will be transparent, especially with FCP 5 and its ability to edit the native long GOP MPEG2 streams. But that is a tweak, not an evolution since it still maintains the same method of recording of HDV.

It's going to take another year before this shakes out.

It's going to take longer than that, panny's came won't even come out untill the end of this year . . . face it, HDV is the only viable lost cost HD solution. People were scared of DV when it first came out and thought it would fail, and look now, it's taken over.

The P2 idea is interesting, but won't get popular until the cost comes down.

Yup, I agree with you here, P2 is a great idea, I use tapeless aquisition taping seminars and the such, straight from my DV cam through FW to my powerbook to an external HD, works great. I captured about 40 hours of footage straight to drive, saves that additional 40 hours of capturing. It would be great to use the new panny cam with HD, but unfortunately (or furtunatly) the bitrate of DVCPRO HSD is 100Mbps, which hard drives are too slow to capture, so for you, the panny is better since it has higher bitrate, and is has true 4:2:2 color space, where as HDV does not.

As far as playability goes, being able to play it back on a high-end machine does not qualify it as being actually widely usable. Lack of viable playback right now is acknowledged as being the biggest problem with HD.

I never said that it would make it widely useable, and IMHO the biggest problem with HD is lack of content, stemming from lack of viable playback. Apple is at least trying to get HD on DVD to the few people that do have the hardware, at least they are trying.

There is also a good article on HDV starting on page 48. It can give the arguments that we don't have the ability to type out here.

Why don't you read it and then come back.

I don't suscribe to that magezine, so I can't read it. I am not saying that HDV is the best, all I am saying is that is the best PROSUMER HD option out right now, and with FCP 5 it will make it a pleasure to use to use HDV given its shortcomings.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
eSnow said:
So crucify me, but it seems that 10.4.0 is a rush job worse than 10.3.0 was (if you remember the FireWire problems and some system instabilities). Reading this, I won't install 10.4 until 10.4.1 is out and tested by some pals of mine.

Yeah doesn't this seem odd? After all, they said the first half od 2005 for release. Maybe there were other factors in the release date I'm not aware of, but it seems like they had another month to iron out any bugs if they wanted.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Lacero said:
Better in what way? If you talking about encoding efficiency, HDV is better.

Wrong. HDV is encoded in long GOP MPEG2 at a max of 30Mbps, since that is the rate of DV tape. DVCPRO HD encodes each frame individually at up to 100Mbps, you do the math.

If you are talking about spatial quality, HDV is better.
I have no way to test the spacial quality of Sony's HDV cams to Panasonics, so at this time the point it moot. But, as far as color goes, DVCPRO HD supports 4:2:2 color space, and HDV is like 4:0:0 or 4:1:0 I don't reacall right now, all I know is that it is not 4:2:2.

If you are talking about HD frame sizes and format support, HDV is better.

Nope. The new panasonic camera supports all the way up to 1080i. Plus, it even supports progressive frame rates, which Sony's HDV doesn't. Sony uses it cine' effect to get that progressive look, and from what I have read and seen, it doesn't work that well.

If you are talking about benefit/cost ratio of acquisition and support, HDV is better. How exactly is DVCPRO HD better?

You are right here, the new panny cam is alot more than the sony's HDV cams, but still alot less than other DVCPRO HD options out there.

Check it out for yourself.Panasonic AG-HVX200

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Laslo Panaflex said:
Wrong. HDV is encoded in long GOP MPEG2 at a max of 30Mbps, since that is the rate of DV tape. DVCPRO HD encodes each fram individually at up to 100Mbps, you do the math.
DVCPRO HD is based off of DCT-encoding, which means each frame is given a set bitrate. 100Mbps is per second, not per frame. HDV is based off of MPEG2, meaning it is a spatial, as well as a temporal encoder, so it is more efficient

I have no way to test the spacial quality of Sony's HDV cams to Panasonics, so at this time the point it moot.
Well if you are comparing CCD blocks, that is not a fair test. I've done image quality tests, and HDV is superior to DVCPRO HD, so I speak from first hand experience.

Nope. The new panasonic camera supports all the way up to 1080 in interlace and PROGRESSIVE, sony's HDV cams only support 1080i.
While the Sony's don't support 1080p, it does not mean another camera cannot provide support for progressive images to HDV's 1080i specification. It's simply a matter of offsetting the second field so it aligns with the first, to give true progressive quality to 1080i footage.

You are right here, the new panny cam is alot more than the sony's HDV cams, but still alot less than other DVCPRO HD options out there.

Check it out for yourself.Panasonic AG-HVX200[/QUOTE]

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Lacero said:
DVCPRO HD is based off of DCT-encoding, which means each frame is given a set bitrate. 100Mbps is per second, not per frame. HDV is based off of MPEG2, meaning it is a spatial, as well as a temporal encoder, so it is more efficient

Yeah, the way I was writing that sounded like I was saying each frame was 100Mbps, that of course is incorrect, I was just trying to point out its aquisition differences as opposed to GOP. I have not seen footage from DVCPRO HD and HDV side by side, at least of the same subject, but I seem to think that DVCPRO HS handles motion better than HDV, HDV gets blocky with lots of motion, from what I've seen.

Well if you are comparing CCD blocks, that is not a fair test. I've done image quality tests, and HDV is superior to DVCPRO HD, so I speak from first hand experience.

Not comparing CCD blocks, so I'll take your word for it, but as far as colorspace goes, HDV's is like 4:2:0, while DVCPRO HD is 4:2:2

While the Sony's don't support 1080p, it does not mean another camera cannot provide support for progressive images to HDV's 1080i specification. It's simply a matter of offsetting the second field so it aligns with the first, to give true progressive quality to 1080i footage.

Yup, you're right it can, it's just sony's ingnorance in not putting in this ability. Oh, and it looks like I am mistaken, the new panny doesn't support 1080p . . oh well.

The bottom line is, they are both different, but HDV has alot to prove since DVCPRO HD has a little head start on it.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Multimedia said:
Panasonic and JVC both passed on inexpensive HDV cameras toady. The Sony HVR-Z1U is the only game in town as far as I can see. I am shocked that JVC and Panasonic both passed on presenting any competition to Sony's obvious home run today. At least the choice is easy to make since there is no choice.
Panasonic isn't going to offer an HDV camera.

JVC's press conference is tomorrow. In other words, JVC didn't "pass." JVC's HD100 and HD7000 will present tough competition to the Panasonic HVX200 and HDC27 (Varicam), respectively.

eSnow said:
10.4.1 is required only because it adds DVD Player 4.6. Inferring that there's some innate stability problem with 10.4 just because DVDSP 4 requires 10.4.1 is mistaken.

Pipian said:
This also pretty much tells us that the next PM G5 WILL have Dual Layer burning, as that's one of the features of DVD Studio 4.
Oh really . . . that's interesting. Perhaps Power Macs should have always had DLT drives built in, by that reasoning. DVD Studio Pro (since version 1 on OS 9 years ago) has always featured writing to digital linear tape.

If Power Macs get dual layer drives in their next iteration it won't be because of DVDSP 4. It'll be because of the state of current tech, as it's already more economical for Apple to cripple dual layer drives than install single layer ones in Power Macs.

melgross said:
There isn't any way to play HD back at this time on DVD disk.
Laslo Panaflex said:
I guess we still have to wait for the first blu-ray drives to come out before we see any set top solution to HD DVD playback.
Wrong. We're all only $249 away from a current, shipping product in the I-O Data AVeL LinkPlayer, which plays HD material off burned red-laser DVDs as well as USB flash media and hard drives.
I-O Data said:
I-O DATA's brand-new LinkPlayer allows you to playback various formatted files connect from any PC and/or Mac on the home network to a Big screen TV with a remote control. Moreover digital camera and USB memory can be connected directly through a USB 2.0/1.1 port to display files on a Big screen TV.

LinkPlayer is compatible with Windows Media Video® Video (WMV9), DivX® HD, and MPEG2-TS (HD 720p). HD mode allows you to enjoy pictures and movies in High-Definition (Video Up to 1080i / Photo Up to 2048x1532).
You can encode WMV9 on your Mac using WMV Studio Pro by Flip4Mac. The player is firmware-updatable, so it's entirely likely that H.264 support can be added in the coming months.

While it's not movie studio supported and big titles are unlikely to (legally) come out for this player, it solves the problem of red-laser set-top DVD playback of HD content.

Laslo: HDV's color sampling is 4:2:0, just like all MPEG2. Also, the Panasonic HVX200 does 1080p24, and the word is that it can record onto any external FireWire hard drive just the same as if the FW HD were a P2 card. We'll see in the coming months about that, though. If true, that would mean you wouldn't need P2 cards to record HD with that camera.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Thanks for the info Rod Rod, and for making things clear. I didn't get to go to NAB this year, and alot of my info if from what I learned there last year, and what I read on the internet, which could be accurate or not . . .

Are you going/at NAB this year Rod Rod?

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
You're welcome, Laslo Panaflex. I wanted to go to NAB this year, and even registered, but things didn't work out so I guess I'll go next year. It's just as well anyhow because I got to shoot a cultural show Saturday night, which included an amazing tabla performance, which I can't wait to upload and share with the world.

I've gotten most of my NAB news from DV Info Net, DVX User and Camcorderinfo.com.

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
Did they change it to 10.4, because I can't find where it says 10.4.1 on the linked page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.