Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has seeded Mac OS X 10.4.2 8C21 to developers.

Seed notes mention fixes in Mac Notification Client, Automator, AddressBook, AppleScript, CoreGraphics, Display Preferences, Finder Search files, iCal, iDisk Syncing, iWork, JavaScriptCore, Mail, AirPort networking, Printing, Safari, Spotlight.

Final version reportedly expected in mid June.

Article Link: Mac OS X 10.4.2 8C21

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
It's good to see Apple on top of things. While I personally have had very few problems with Tiger (except that Studio MX 2004 and CS 2 refuse to install correctly), I know others will appreciate the bug fixes.

P.S. It's not Mac Notification Client, it's .Mac Notification Client.
-Chase

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
This is totally fake...who provided this phony info? It can't be a Mac OS X update without updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers!!! :D

We got close to a nuclear meltdown with Panther when we got to 10.3.9 and all the debate we had over whether 10.3.10 is the next step (it is). If we continue at this rate of updates and the life of Tiger is longer than other versions of OS X, we should see what happens after 10.4.9.....

Fun times ahead. :)

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Page 2 rumour?

This (an article, and most likely more than just a rumour, about an update to the OS) is on Page 2 and "2GB and 4GB iPod Shuffles? (Unlikely)" is on Page 1??? Huh? Does anyone else think that is backwards?

Edit:
Freg3000 said:
We got close to a nuclear meltdown with Panther when we got to 10.3.9 and all the debate we had over whether 10.3.10 is the next step (it is). If we continue at this rate of updates and the life of Tiger is longer than other versions of OS X, we should see what happens after 10.4.9.....
...after 10.4.9 (as you said with 10.3.x) comes 10.4.10, then 10.4.11, etc. What gets me about those who argue that there can't be a double digit, then what about the first number in the version... 10?! According to that logic Apple should have stopped their OS version numbering at OS 9! According to their logic the last possible version number of any software is 9.9.9. Then development just stops, I guess.

DeadEye686

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2003
Austin
sacear said:
This (an article, and most likely more than just a rumour, about an update to the OS) is on Page 2 and "2GB and 4GB iPod Shuffles? (Unlikely)" is on Page 1??? Huh? Does anyone else think that is backwards?

Page 2 is both unconfirmed and unimportant news. Seeding a build of a point-upgrade is a very common occurrence and isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

qubex

macrumors 6502
I'm also hoping they'll fix the iPhoto colour snafu.

I'm also hoping they'll update iSync's AppleSyncAgent so that it will run on Symbian 8.0 phones - like my new Nokia 6680. Being unable to sync with my PowerBook somewhat defeats the whole point of owning a smartphone.

As for all this speak of video-card drivers: cut it out. We're all bored of gamers' addiction to framerates.

AndrewWx

Contributor
Feb 10, 2005
Ventura CA
A whole lot of fixing going on

It looks like this is going to be a major "polishing" update. Hopefully take a few of the rough edges off of Tiger. Safari has been fairly wonky in both 4.0 and 4.1. Looking at the Ars Technica article I would hope we see the Quartz 2d extreme update wrapped up into it as well.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Applespider said:
No mention of a fix to iPhoto 5 and its changing colour profiles - unless of course we're getting an iPhoto 5.0.3 update before mid June (please!)

I'm surprised Apple hasn't acted on this, since it seems to affect almost all users of iPhoto 5 and Tiger.... :(

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I doubt that any of these will fix anything for me, but it is great to see Apple on top of things, fixing everything as quickly as possible, unlike another well known company...*cough, cough* :rolleyes:

Applespider

macrumors G4
mkrishnan said:
I'm surprised Apple hasn't acted on this, since it seems to affect almost all users of iPhoto 5 and Tiger.... :(

yeah...aside from the small problem that for 3 weeks or so when anyone called up about it, Apple denied all knowledge of it and claimed never to have seen it happen or be able to reproduce it.

Someone on the Apple discussion board sent off a bug report (as opposed to a feedback page) and was asked to supply them with sample images but that wasn't until about May 22nd so who knows when the fix will appear.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
well to tell you the truth, tiger has brought quite a few problems for me and my iMac. I have never heard my iMac get so huffed up with certain things. I am pretty sure there that there is a serious problem under neath here all because i have often almost no RAM left...and i have enough RAM (1GB). Well i just havent had time to re-install Tiger..will do as soon as possible unless this update clears it all up ;)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i hope quartz 2d extreme gets turned on by default, it's pretty damn cool on my cube.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
And who fixes my freaking iChat problem??
Its crashing virtually all the time! Even if I am just supposed to receive a chat message for the first time, it crashes!
Even a reinstall of iChat didnt help!

:mad: :(

fabsgwu

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Washington, DC
sacear said:
Edit:
...after 10.4.9 (as you said with 10.3.x) comes 10.4.10, then 10.4.11, etc. What gets me about those who argue that there can't be a double digit, then what about the first number in the version... 10?! According to that logic Apple should have stopped their OS version numbering at OS 9! According to their logic the last possible version number of any software is 9.9.9. Then development just stops, I guess.

The fact that there's more than one period, i.e. 10.4.2, what have you, makes the numbers completely not decimal based. End of discussion.

Personally, I'm looking forward to 10.11.200.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
personally im not excited about Quartz 2D extreme at all. i mean ive got it activated now and its not really doing much. resizing windows, dragging out widgets, core Image funhouse... its all the same.
are there any tests i can do to see the real power of Q2DE?

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
sacear said:
...What gets me about those who argue that there can't be a double digit, then what about the first number in the version... 10?! According to that logic Apple should have stopped their OS version numbering at OS 9! According to their logic the last possible version number of any software is 9.9.9. Then development just stops, I guess.

OS X looks like single digit to me :p ;)

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
10.4.2 lord!

It would have been nice if Apple waited on the release and fixed this stuff first.

I expect updates, but we shouldn't have to need two in the first month after release. If they held the release, they could have worked both .1 and .2 into the initial release. It's easier, and takes less time to fix things before release, then it does to close down development, remove the bug code, release it, and then to pull code, and fix bugs, write the installer for it---twice.

I've done this before. It's a lot more work.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Please, please, please Apple make this an enormous bug fixing debate.

I want to love Tiger. I really do. But it is still beta quality. The number and severity of bugs is painful.

Sure, I am happy that another release is coming soon. I just hope it is not another anemic bug fix.

Make .2 the 100mb+ patch Tiger desparately needs. I don't want to be waiting for 10.4.5 for what should of been the gold version of Tiger.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Yes! They are updating Display Preferences! I've been unable to change the brightness of my Powerbook's screen or change resolution for the last month!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.