Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
melgross said:
It would have been nice if Apple waited on the release and fixed this stuff first.

I expect updates, but we shouldn't have to need two in the first month after release. If they held the release, they could have worked both .1 and .2 into the initial release. It's easier, and takes less time to fix things before release, then it does to close down development, remove the bug code, release it, and then to pull code, and fix bugs, write the installer for it---twice.

I've done this before. It's a lot more work.

Then we couldnt have used the Tiger for another month or so... Nothing is perfect man, and never will be.. It's easier to see the problems when you get more response then just from developers, and you have to deliver the product to ordinary consumer to get more response..

For me, the point is that how "unbuggy" the system is and is it useable or a pain in the a**... My Tiger works so sleek with my PowerBook and I'm happy for the updates, I'm happy that Tiger eased my life for another month or so...

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
remingtonhill said:
What exactley is so great about tiger? Am I missing somthing here? It's seems to be panther with some widgets and more bugs.

Is anybody really all the excited about "spotlight?" Is "Automator" really going to sell pc users on the mac?

I guess I just don't get it. I have used tiger for 10s of hours now. I own a copy, but I really have no desire to install it on my home system.

Have you ever looked for something, that you worked at, or changed yesterday but you can't find it? (Smart Folders)

Have you ever looked for something that you work at last month, year or so, but you can't find it, can't even remember the name? Have you ever looked for a photo that one of your friend is in, but dont want to look for the entire harddisk?? bla bla bla...(Spotlight)

Have you ever wanted to find a subtitle of a moive but dont want to look at all the divx subtitle sites and rename the subtitle you found, and place it in the same folder with the divx, and bla bla bla?? (Automator)

Yes, Tiger is so exciting, and all of my virushunter-PCuser friends loved it..

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
An important question...

Did you realise that many of the Mac users who have PowerBooks or who didnt change the specs of their Macs (except RAM) dont have much problem with their Tiger????

The people who added harddisks, another optical drive, and etc have the most of the problem with Tiger.. Or at least it seems like that to me....

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
tech4all said:
Anybody else having problems with installing Studio MX 2004 and Adobe CS 1 or 2? I have Tiger but haven't installed it yet, so I want to be sure.
Studio MX 2004 and CS1 install and work perfectly fine for me. Both before and after installing the respective updates from Macromedia and Adobe.

Some_Big_Spoon said:
it's nice to see bug fixes. I have, literally, dozens of bugs going on in Tiger, and more were created in 10.4.1 than were fixed (i.e. Flash MX2004 is completely broken)

I fine Tiger to be extremely buggy with a few app crashes a day, sometimes more. I've replicated this on a number of machines, and seems to be an across the board thing.

In any case, I'd like stability above all, and speed ups in the system in general. Brand new iMac w/ 2 GB of Apple RAM runs like a dog.
Flash works fine for me, same as on Panther. I hardly have any app crashes, trying to remember the last one, and my PB and Rev A iMac G5 run faster on Tiger than on Panther.

I'm not saying this to discount your problems but am just suggesting that the problems may stem from your setup rather than from Tiger. I did a clean install rather than an upgrade, that could be a possible reason.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
well im personally very happy apple are working on a update, the only problem ive had is my powerbook going back to sleep directly after I wake it but other than that I have had no problems.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Some of the applications I have crash on me quite frequently. This issue isn't specific to Tiger, since these same apps also crashed frequently in Panther.

robert05au

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
Dubbo, NSW
I would like to see Java 2 SE 1.5 work properly as most apps that use java are still using 1.4.2 and not 1.5.

When Java updates where installed under 10.3.* you always had to restart the strange part is that under 10.4 and the Java 2 SE 1.5 update there was no restart and it doesn't actually seem to be working at all.

Can someone confirm this as safari is still using Java 1.4.2 for me under 10.4.1

Robert :cool:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
robert05au said:
I would like to see Java 2 SE 1.5 work properly as most apps that use java are still using 1.4.2 and not 1.5.

When Java updates where installed under 10.3.* you always had to restart the strange part is that under 10.4 and the Java 2 SE 1.5 update there was no restart and it doesn't actually seem to be working at all.

Can someone confirm this as safari is still using Java 1.4.2 for me under 10.4.1

Robert :cool:
It does work. You just have to set the default to Java 5. That can be done in /Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/Java Preferences.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Mechcozmo said:
I'm really happy with Tiger. It works great for me, no issues I can really think of. I'm just hoping this comes out so we have the Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything in OS X before Windows can get to it!

Ditto for me...I don't understand how people can say that Tiger is beta quality, when EVERYTHING works OK including Dashboard, Mail, iTunes, iPhoto, Safari and so on, as well as Office 2004 et al.

I imported everything from my old iBook into the new iMac G5, and no problems have been found by me so far...

Everyone might have problems...this doesn't mean they are OS bugs.

Applespider

macrumors G4
SiliconAddict said:
PS- I think people should start posting in their sig if they did a clean install from scratch or not.

Despite my dislike of long signatures, I think this is a good idea until Tiger's settled down a little. My only problem is the iPhoto one which seems more or less universal; iTunes 4.8 has unexpectedly quit once. That's it...

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
toughboy said:
Then we couldnt have used the Tiger for another month or so... Nothing is perfect man, and never will be.. It's easier to see the problems when you get more response then just from developers, and you have to deliver the product to ordinary consumer to get more response..

In which case you are talking about beta testing an app that a user actually purchased. That is BS plain and simple. Apple should be doing the same thing MS did with their OS's in releasing release candidates that people can get for something like $10 with a auto disable after x days or a certain date. No OS is perfect but there ARE things that a developer CAN do to negate the issue of undiscovered bugs. MS generally has two release candidates that they put out to the public before any OS ships. Apple would be wise to consider such a method instead of turning their OS into a paid public beta test.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
SiliconAddict said:
In which case you are talking about beta testing an app that a user actually purchased. That is BS plain and simple. Apple should be doing the same thing MS did with their OS's in releasing release candidates that people can get for something like $10 with a auto disable after x days or a certain date. No OS is perfect but there ARE things that a developer CAN do to negate the issue of undiscovered bugs. MS generally has two release candidates that they put out to the public before any OS ships. Apple would be wise to consider such a method instead of turning their OS into a paid public beta test.

You are taking a little part of what I wrote and criticise it.. What I actually was trying to say is, Tiger is a good operating system, and I dont believe it's that buggy to be postponed from realising.. Nothing is perfect and to solve those minor problems (which will be anyways), they've chosen to see the consumer response.. And thats ok with me.

I'll state what I said again, as far as I can see, Tiger is having problems with Macs which are modded and changed the specs. Most of the PowerBook users (which you can only change the RAM) and Mac mini users seems to be happy with their Tigers.. What do you see in this?

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
SiliconAddict said:

If theye were to do that the OS would have probably come six months later and still have some buggs cause not as many people would testing Beta version as number of user of the official release.
If people feel Tiger is to buggy, then you can always go back to Panther. When Tiger is done "in your opinion" then you can install it along with the big update. Many users have complained thet Panther 10.3.9 still had some buggs that they wished they where resolved. Personaly, Tiger 10.4.1 is as bugy as 10.3.9 was and still is.
I did a clean install and for me there isn't anything wrong with Tiger except few small buggs. For me it the upgrade worked out well on my stock specs PowerBook (extra ram was intalled during the purchase in one of New Yorks best Apple reseller: Tekserve)
Oh one more thing. I reintalled my Tiger on the second day because I didn't like the partitions size and by accident have found that there was something wrong with my drive, wich Disk Repair took care off. :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
toughboy said:
Did you realize that many of the Mac users who have PowerBooks or who didn't change the specs of their Macs (except RAM) dont have much problem with their Tiger????

The people who added harddisks, another optical drive, and etc have the most of the problem with Tiger.. Or at least it seems like that to me....

That makes a lot of sense. Explains why my wife hasn't had any problems with her PowerBook. I'm still using Panther, but haven't had any problems with updates either. It seems to be the Mac Power Users that have more problems with bugs.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
rendezvouscp said:
I hope so. Q2DE made some huge improvements on my mac, and it'll do the same for others. Surely they can get it out by mid June, or release this one later than expected and get it in?
-Chase

Ok, will Quartz extreme be used with the UI? For example, when you move a window around, you can see a massive use of the processor for that task.

Another good test is to watch your processor usage when you move the mouse around the dock. My PowerBook uses up to 70% of the processor to draw the dock zooming etc.

Am I right to say that Quartz 2d extreme will have an effect on this??

aussie_geek

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
aussie_geek said:
Ok, will Quartz extreme be used with the UI? For example, when you move a window around, you can see a massive use of the processor for that task.

Another good test is to watch your processor usage when you move the mouse around the dock. My PowerBook uses up to 70% of the processor to draw the dock zooming etc.

Am I right to say that Quartz 2d extreme will have an effect on this??

aussie_geek

Oddly enough, while everything's smoother, on my mac, Dock processor percentage doubles when using the zooming with Q2DE.
-Chase

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Im on a Powerbook, and I can confirm that I have had little to no problems with Tiger. just a couple scattered app crashes, nothing abnormal. Only real problem I have had is with Airport reception. The speed constantly drops to below dialup. I never had the problem with Panther. I see an Airport update in 8C21, I hope that fixes my problem.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Very False!!

toughboy said:
Did you realise that many of the Mac users who have PowerBooks or who didnt change the specs of their Macs (except RAM) dont have much problem with their Tiger????

I have installed Tiger on three machines... here is the breakdown...

: G3 iMac DV:
- Tiger upgrade
- New hard driver ( old one failed )
- Tiger is slow but stable for what my daughter does.

: G3 iBook 600 ( 640 MB of memory ) :
- Tiger upgrade
- Totally stock
- Tiger very buggy and quite a bit slower than panther.

: G4 DA 733:
- Fresh Tiger install with old install import
- GigaDesigns dual 1214 1.33 GHz upgrade
- FW800/USB2 card attached to external boot drive
- Radeon 9800 installed
- FW Superdrive
- Tiger extremely stable - about the same speed as Panther.

I am not noticing this pattern of stock/non-stock vs. Tiger stability.

Max.

P.S. Anyone else here running Tiger on any G3? How has it worked out

Max.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
JeDiBoYTJ said:
Im on a Powerbook, and I can confirm that I have had little to no problems with Tiger. just a couple scattered app crashes, nothing abnormal. Only real problem I have had is with Airport reception. The speed constantly drops to below dialup. I never had the problem with Panther. I see an Airport update in 8C21, I hope that fixes my problem.

Some people have reported that turning off IPv6 brings things back up to speed. Go to System Preferences/Network, select properties for your connection, click on the TCP/IP tab and configure IPv6 to off. Not sure why it would do so but people have reported of better speeds once they did.

Attachments

• 050405_tcpip.jpg
    050405_tcpip.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 101

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
munkle said:
Some people have reported that turning off IPv6 brings things back up to speed. Go to System Preferences/Network, select properties for your connection, click on the TCP/IP tab and configure IPv6 to off. Not sure why it would do so but people have reported of better speeds once they did.

yea thats mad, my menu bars airport signal has been on full since turning IPv6 off. which is strange because im about 20-odd metres away from my router, and i used to get cut off very frequently! how bizarre.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Marble said:
Yes! They are updating Display Preferences! I've been unable to change the brightness of my Powerbook's screen or change resolution for the last month!

Wow.. now that you mention it. I bought a new PB 12" Superdrive last week, and changing brightness of the display doesn't work at all...

With this release of OS X Apple really outperformed Microsoft.. hundreds of new features, thousands of new bugs ;-)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
weg said:
Wow.. now that you mention it. I bought a new PB 12" Superdrive last week, and changing brightness of the display doesn't work at all...

With this release of OS X Apple really outperformed Microsoft.. hundreds of new features, thousands of new bugs ;-)

Again, works fine for me on my 12" PB, either using the F1/F2 keys or through System Preferences.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Strangely, it's the newer Powerbooks that seem to have problems. They seem to be the ones where, under Tiger, the system brightness isn't working (does it not work even if on auto-brightness?), the trackpad can go a little loopy, the kernel task takes up too much CPU etc.

My old Powerbook, like Munkle's, seems to be just fine.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
toughboy said:

Weird.. I bought a 12" PB Superdrive last week - no changed spec, totally off the shelf - and I already experienced a Tiger crash (or at least comparable - display brightness was dimmed and I couldn't start any programs anymore - not even the system settings).. something that never happened to me with Panther. Also, sometimes adjusting the display brightness via F1/F1 doesn't work (a reboot usually fixes this problem). I haven't played very much with my new PB, but I'm sure I'll be finding more bugs soon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.