Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Applespider said:
Strangely, it's the newer Powerbooks that seem to have problems. They seem to be the ones where, under Tiger, the system brightness isn't working (does it not work even if on auto-brightness?), the trackpad can go a little loopy, the kernel task takes up too much CPU etc.

My old Powerbook, like Munkle's, seems to be just fine.

it's a little bit of a wild guess. but remember when 10.3.8 fixed the wake from sleep bug on powerbooks. this bug was really fixed for some, but it appeared for others (incl. me) only with 10.3.8.
probably the components in the pb's are not exactly the same. maybe there are different versions or firmwares of a certain chip controlling the pb hardware. so when the let tiger control hardware stuff the either do it right for one group or the other.
i never got my fax modem to work properly under panther, no matter what install or version. since tiger it works perfect. maybe i have a chip version that never was set up right in panther.
apple not necessarily knows all this production details. who knows what exact chip the solder in the pb's anyway :rolleyes:

as i said, just a guess. but it would explain why it is so hard for apple to get that basic hardware stuff right.

trojanloy

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2005
South Bend, IN
iPhoto does NOT "work OK" with Tiger!

BRLawyer said:
I don't understand how people can say that Tiger is beta quality, when EVERYTHING works OK including Dashboard, Mail, iTunes, iPhoto, Safari and so on, as well as Office 2004 et al.

Wait... I'm sorry, did you just say that iPhoto works OK? You're kidding, right?

iPhoto's editing features are COMPLETELY USELESS with Tiger. Every time you make any changes whatsoever, even a crop or a minor non-color-related change, it alters the colors of the photo... edit a color bar, and it will turn blue to purple and yellow to green in just three edits:

http://www.brendanloy.com/archives/018071.html

See also:

http://www.brendanloy.com/archives/018064.html
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/122762/
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@263.mMDCa6USZMV.3@.68aebc62

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
trojanloy said:
Wait... I'm sorry, did you just say that iPhoto works OK? You're kidding, right?

iPhoto's editing features are COMPLETELY USELESS with Tiger. Every time you make any changes whatsoever, even a crop or a minor non-color-related change, it alters the colors of the photo... edit a color bar, and it will turn blue to purple and yellow to green in just three edits:

http://www.brendanloy.com/archives/018071.html

See also:

http://www.brendanloy.com/archives/018064.html
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/122762/
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@263.mMDCa6USZMV.3@.68aebc62

Sorry, Trojan, but I DON'T have the problems you've mentioned...just tested now with some pics in iPhoto, and they cropped or were enhanced just fine...so far, my experience with Tiger has been OK, apart from a tiny few cosmetic issues that vanish quickly...

Applespider

macrumors G4
BRLawyer said:
Sorry, Trojan, but I DON'T have the problems you've mentioned...just tested now with some pics in iPhoto, and they cropped or were enhanced just fine...

What system are you running on? Are you using iPhoto 4 or 5? And what's your colorsync profile set to (System Preferences - Display - Colour)? Since this so far has seemed more or less universal across lots of different configurations, I'm sure those of us affected would love to know why you're not affected in case there are any changes we can make!

To be honest, you may not notice a dramatic difference if you do a single edit (depends on the colours in the image) but if you do more than one, it does seem to begin to build up. Can you take a duplicate of one of your original images? Then try cropping it (very slightly) and check that the histogram is still identical.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
munkle said:
Some people have reported that turning off IPv6 brings things back up to speed. Go to System Preferences/Network, select properties for your connection, click on the TCP/IP tab and configure IPv6 to off. Not sure why it would do so but people have reported of better speeds once they did.

I did that way back when I got my PB because I was having problems then... and its still off.... hmm

*jumps into the iPhoto discussion*

I dont have any color problems, and im constantly editing pictures in iPhoto...

edit: in fact, I just did a test, i cropped a picture 10 times, did some Adjustments to the exposure and such... then saved it, colors look fine. just to be sure my eyes were not playing tricks on me, i selected "Revert to Original", and when it did I noticed NO color change, meaning the colors were the same throughout the process

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
JeDiBoYTJ said:
edit: in fact, I just did a test, i cropped a picture 10 times, did some Adjustments to the exposure and such... then saved it, colors look fine. just to be sure my eyes were not playing tricks on me, i selected "Revert to Original", and when it did I noticed NO color change, meaning the colors were the same throughout the process

Hmmm...interesting...iPhoto 5, right? Which dot version? And I assume you are running a custom screen calibration?

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
mkrishnan said:
Hmmm...interesting...iPhoto 5, right? Which dot version? And I assume you are running a custom screen calibration?

running iPhoto 5 (retail bought), latest update.

my screen calibration is "Color LCD", the default on PowerBooks.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
JeDiBoYTJ said:
running iPhoto 5 (retail bought), latest update.

my screen calibration is "Color LCD", the default on PowerBooks.

I think this might have something to do with it...it seems like everyone who seems to have problems is running a calibrated display....

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Applespider said:
What system are you running on? Are you using iPhoto 4 or 5? And what's your colorsync profile set to (System Preferences - Display - Colour)? Since this so far has seemed more or less universal across lots of different configurations, I'm sure those of us affected would love to know why you're not affected in case there are any changes we can make!

To be honest, you may not notice a dramatic difference if you do a single edit (depends on the colours in the image) but if you do more than one, it does seem to begin to build up. Can you take a duplicate of one of your original images? Then try cropping it (very slightly) and check that the histogram is still identical.

Don't have time now to perform more detailed tests (like histogram check), but did some changes on a couple of pics and noticed no changes in color or whatever...more specifically, I performed a crop and an "enhance" action...both pre- and post-action situations had the same colors and general appearance.

I am on an iMac G5 Rev. B 2.0, 1Gb RAM, OS X 10.4.1, iPhoto 5.0.2, standard calibration for iMac (profile "iMac"); hope this helps.

Applespider

macrumors G4
mkrishnan said:
I think this might have something to do with it...it seems like everyone who seems to have problems is running a calibrated display....

Nope. I reverted back to the generic color LCD profile and deleted my calibrated settings and it still happened - although it was so subtle on the image that I chose that it was only when I reverted to original, I noticed the picture suddenly becoming paler. Here are the 2 histograms for the image - the first one is the original, the second is after correcting red-eye.

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 125

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Applespider said:
Nope. I reverted back to the generic color LCD profile and deleted my calibrated settings and it still happened - although it was so subtle on the image that I chose that it was only when I reverted to original, I noticed the picture suddenly becoming paler. Here are the 2 histograms for the image - the first one is the original, the second is after correcting red-eye.

Interesting.... Huh. I just haven't edited anything in iPhoto since I got Tiger! :( But (I'm assuming those are full-screen histos and not red-eye region histos), things are definitely still changing for you.... :(

Well, in any event, given the choice between being able to use a calibrated screen and being able to use iPhoto for edits, even if that were a solution, I don't think I care to do without screen calibration.

trojanloy

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2005
South Bend, IN

I'll add another "nope." I'm using a 12" PowerBook G4 1ghz with the default Color LCD profile, and I'm having the problem.

The differences between our systems that seem potentially significant are that you're on a 15" and I'm on a 12"; you have 1.5 ghz and I have 1 ghz; you have 1 GB of RAM and I have 768 MB; and you have ATi Radeon 9700 64MB VRAM and I have GeForce FX Go5200 32MB VRAM. Perhaps that last one might be the most likely culprit?? I don't know much about VRAM or graphics cards, but it seems like that's the most relevant...

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
wOw

Some_Big_Spoon said:
it's nice to see bug fixes. I have, literally, dozens of bugs going on in Tiger, and more were created in 10.4.1 than were fixed (i.e. Flash MX2004 is completely broken)

I fine Tiger to be extremely buggy with a few app crashes a day, sometimes more. I've replicated this on a number of machines, and seems to be an across the board thing.

In any case, I'd like stability above all, and speed ups in the system in general. Brand new iMac w/ 2 GB of Apple RAM runs like a dog.
Well that is VERY strange... my 1ghz imac w/ 768mb is like new.. runs smooth with better performance... have you tried wiping the HD and clean installin w/ the disks you got?

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Stella said:
The numbering argument is retarded.

10.3.9, 10.3.10, 10.3.11. ...

Actually, what's retarded is using X for 10. If we're really using Latin here, we should call it X.IV.II. (btw, if you've played Rome Total War, there are a bunch of cute Latinisms in it, e.g. "Disk II of III").

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
munkle said:
Some people have reported that turning off IPv6 brings things back up to speed. Go to System Preferences/Network, select properties for your connection, click on the TCP/IP tab and configure IPv6 to off. Not sure why it would do so but people have reported of better speeds once they did.

Is this a Tiger-specific issue, or was this present in Panther as well? I'm still using Panther, but since the upgrade to 10.3.9 my Airport reception is pathetic unless I sit right by the router.
I guess I'll try it when I get back home tonight... after all, I'm not using IPv6 anyway, so it can't do any harm.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
jalagl said:
Is this a Tiger-specific issue, or was this present in Panther as well? I'm still using Panther, but since the upgrade to 10.3.9 my Airport reception is pathetic unless I sit right by the router.
I guess I'll try it when I get back home tonight... after all, I'm not using IPv6 anyway, so it can't do any harm.

My wife has a 15" PowerBook and her reception strength increased after installing 10.3.9. I hope that it will work better when you get home. Will look forward to the result.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
raggedjimmi said:
personally im not excited about Quartz 2D extreme at all. i mean ive got it activated now and its not really doing much. resizing windows, dragging out widgets, core Image funhouse... its all the same.
are there any tests i can do to see the real power of Q2DE?

Personally, I found it a mixed bag.

Some things like rectangles and lines are much improved but text display is much slower.

For instance, try http://www.24fun.com/downloadcenter/benchjs/benchjs.html

Test 6 is much slower with Q2DE enabled than without it. Since text display is the thing that I usually notice, I've switched Q2DE off.

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
wdlove said:
My wife has a 15" PowerBook and her reception strength increased after installing 10.3.9. I hope that it will work better when you get home. Will look forward to the result.

I seriously doubt that software has any influence over the signal strength because signal is clearly a hardware factor. However, the software algorithm that interprets signal strenght can clearly change between software updates, so your signal bars may change, even though your signal is actually the same.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
Well now maybe I'll finally upgrade to Tiger after the 10.4.2 update is released. It's time. It's time.

Metropolis Man

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2005
Some_Big_Spoon said:
In any case, I'd like stability above all, and speed ups in the system in general. Brand new iMac w/ 2 GB of Apple RAM runs like a dog.

Whenever I hear someone say "It's a dog," or, "It runs like a dog" I'm thinking bad, or slow. But, you're previous sentence tells me your new iMac is very fast, correct? I'm in the market for a new iMac as well and want to get 2 GB of memory as you did. Apple seems to charge a ridiculous amount of money for added RAM. Think I'll go directly to Crucial.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
mkrishnan said:
Nope. I run Color LCD on a PowerBook. 10.4.1 and iPhoto 5.0.2. Also tested it on a brand new iBook with the same specs and same results. No calibration of displays here.

Too bad any other profile (sRGB for instance) give a freakishly blue tint to everything.

rugonnaeatthat

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I upgraded to a new iMac a fortnight ago so everything is new for me: computer, ilife 05, and tiger.

My problems have been -

My internet connection dies when I log onto ichat (might have been fixed with quicktime update!? it hasn't happened since)

Garageband tends to crash a lot more - I feel like I'm on windows always saving my file. If it is this bad then I suggest an auto save feature.

Digidesign are lazy and haven't released a coreaudio update for my Mbox - which means that any app I try to use my Mbox with crashes.

Feels slower than I expected (coming from a 800Mhz eMac). Of course it can handle sooo much more and it encodes AAC at 17x sometimes!! But if Quartz 2D sped the GUI up I'd be a very happy chappy.

Good things - iLife :) I haven't been able to find fault (except for garageband already mentioned) - not experiencing the iphoto bugs and really like the addition of 'exposure' etc in the editing window.

Dashboard is great as my girlfriend lives in another state and I can keep an eye of the weather and the time difference :)

Spotlight is fantastic even though I thought I wouldn't use it!

DVD burners are nice aren't they :) it's my first time and I've been backing up DVD's ;)

The iMac (a little off topic) is fantastic! beautiful screen, quiet (a little fan noise but nothing like my emac!), powerful (but not yet zippy) and it has a huge WOW factor with my friends :)

Bring on 10.4.2 and bring on Quartz2D :)

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
"runs like a dog"... slow or fast?

Metropolis Man said:
Some_Big_Spoon said:
Whenever I hear someone say "It's a dog," or, "It runs like a dog" I'm thinking bad, or slow. But, you're previous sentence tells me your new iMac is very fast, correct? I'm in the market for a new iMac as well and want to get 2 GB of memory as you did. Apple seems to charge a ridiculous amount of money for added RAM. Think I'll go directly to Crucial.
Yeah, that is what I thought at first also. Then figured Some_Big_Spoon meant the iMac runs like a fast dog. Never heard anyone use that term in the context meaning fast before, yet always in the context meaning slow. So maybe folks are usually referring to an old porch-sitting Bloodhound, yet Some_Big_Spoon was referring to a young track-running Whippet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.