Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Rod Rod said:
The Wired article is a bit off-base, saying that a $300 PC running OS X is faster than any G4 or G5.

edit: I re-read it and I suppose if the writer meant that to be in the future-tense, it's not that off . . . I suppose 5 years from now it's conceivable.

yeah the performance isn't that good, but, i'm sure it's a lot better on an sse3 enabled cpu (read: pentium 4)

Mass Hysteria

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
naaah, it's not that bad

like i said in the macbytes bit, windows 3.1 was pirated to hell, never did m$ any harm ;)

sambo.

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
outback, far from the surf
which is the bloody point...

Mass Hysteria said:
naaah, it's not that bad

like i said in the macbytes bit, windows 3.1 was pirated to hell, never did m$ any harm ;)

exactly, it boosted the "pool" of people that understood it. just like thousands upon thousands of priated versions of PhotoShop have turned Adobe into the de-facto "DTP Standard". Adobe never minded "too" much, so long as you didn't make money out of it (and come to their attention).

once OS-X can be installed, LEGALLY, onto a vast range of (preferably existing) x86 hardware, corporate directors may start to listen to their IT guys who lurrrve their UNIX boxes rather than just hear the clanging of ca$h that is usually associated with Apple by corporate types.

however, in the short term, it's hackers etc that will "force" Jobs to realise that everyone wants a real M$ WinDon't alternative, but doesn't want to pay the premium for machinery that Apple demands.

however i predict, for Mac Users, the rise of OS-X86 will also see the beginnings of MacMalware. it'll take a few years, but it will come.

In 50 years time, we'll ALL be Linux Users of some flavour... :)

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
If Apple let OS X get pirated a little. :)
They could let the public get a taste of OS X on Beige box hardware.
But Apple could break the hacks on each "Security update" patch or point revision. So the could control the amount of hacking to a certain extent, but still let the hackers (crackers?) make slightly usable versions.

( If this doesn't make sense, then I need sleep :) )

sambo.

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
yuh, but....

Flynnstone said:
If Apple let OS X get pirated a little. :)
They could let the public get a taste of OS X on Beige box hardware.
But Apple could break the hacks on each "Security update" patch or point revision. So the could control the amount of hacking to a certain extent, but still let the hackers (crackers?) make slightly usable versions.

( If this doesn't make sense, then I need sleep :) )

makes perfect sense. but ultimatly, licensing the OS can make more $$$ quicker than trying to corner the HARDWARE market. Gates is right, money is in SOFTWARE.

just license the OS you bastards. :)

ps - you make perfect sleep, but sounds like you should get some sense anyway ;)

seriypshick

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2005
Everywhere
GuyClinch said:
2009? Surely you kid. Maybe not $500 bucks but 900 bucks should do the trick -

The G5 - top of the line.

$2,999.00

Estimated Ship: Same business day

Free Shipping

Dual 2.7GHz PowerPC G5
1.35GHz frontside
bus/processor
512K L2 cache/processor
512MB DDR400 SDRAM
Expandable to 8GB SDRAM
250GB Serial ATA
16x SuperDrive (double-layer)
Three PCI-X Slots
ATI Radeon 9650
256MB DDR video memory

Now my made to order PC from Newegg:

Antec PERFORMANCE TX640B Black Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: TX640B

$99.00

GIGABYTE GA-8I945P-PRO Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: GA-8I945P-PRO

$149.00

Update ABIT RX700PRO-256PCIE Radeon X700PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: RX700PRO-256PCIE

$154.50

intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core, EM64T Processor Model BX80551PG2800FN - Retail
Model #: BX80551PG2800FN

$262.99

CORSAIR VALUESELECT 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Unbuffered System Memory Model VS1GBKIT667D2 - Retail
Model #: VS1GBKIT667D2

$138.00

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD800JD

$55.00

Update NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3520A BK - OEM
Model #: ND-3520A BK

$45.99

Total 904 bucks w/shipping.

Actually while this PC system has a smaller harddrive it's probably faster. It has twice as much ram, a more modern video card. The processor while technically slower can be overclocked some on that gigabyte board. Is that "superdrive" a burner? I don't think so.

It would be fairly reliable as well with the nice Antec powersupply that comes with case and the decent Gigabyte motherboard.

Pete
What about waranty?
Firewire? Both 400 and 800.
Soundcard w/optical in/out?
Your motherboard can only support 4GB of memory while Apple's can do twice as much(8GB).
What about liquid cooling?
What about all the cables inside the box? Apple has it all organized and it looks beautiful.
Keyboard and Mouse? Unless your BIOS supports speach recodnishing(but you'll still need a microphone).
Software? You can't do much with BIOS. + powermac comes w/iLife($79)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
jhu said:
you got served!

so why aren't they going after the developer who leaked this?
Interesting...

Why just the videos... :confused:

Apple has been a little lax on people pirating this copy of the OS, the pre-release Tiger stuff sort of got people in a world of hurt.

Edit: To kill the links to "videos" on MacB while the "instructions" are popping up everywhere -- seems Apple Legal isn't up to snuff at the moment.

Wonder if Apple is going to finally get on the ball and nail the people who keep posting the how to get a pirate copy of Tiger x86 working instructions, seems they might violate the DMCA quite nicely. Should make for some fun filled days and nights for somebody posting them and accidentally living in California.

sambo.

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
i really don't think Apple....

"Wants" to get nasty about this....

think of all the free software development & beta-testing they're getting out of this....

of course, once a legal os-x86 is out, then they'll start getting really narky :rolleyes:

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Please note that any references to the specifics of installing OSX on an x86 machine will be deleted from this thread and that threads containing such information will also be deleted.

Members repeatedly posting such information will be banned.

Read the rules people, this is currently illegal and will not be tolerated at MacRumors.

matix

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2005
Vancouver, BC
seriypshick said:
What about waranty?
Firewire? Both 400 and 800.
Soundcard w/optical in/out?
Your motherboard can only support 4GB of memory while Apple's can do twice as much(8GB).
What about liquid cooling?
What about all the cables inside the box? Apple has it all organized and it looks beautiful.
Keyboard and Mouse? Unless your BIOS supports speach recodnishing(but you'll still need a microphone).
Software? You can't do much with BIOS. + powermac comes w/iLife($79)

OK, if you were a power user who needed firewire, optical audio, and liquid cooling ( like if you were into video or sound recording ), you could simply build your system to include all of those specs. The mobo mentioned above is 150 dollars. If you wanted to build a powerful pc, you could get a board with all of those features integrated for about $180.

I would rather have PCI-Ex16 than capacity for 8 GB ram, lol.

You can use your i/o devices from your mac with a pc.

My motherboard, hard drive, optical drive, and memory have warrantees of 3 years to lifetime. I Dont Think my case is going to break.

Nobody's gonna argue that there is a better OS and software suite than Apple's. But how many people are going to A) be able to afford it B) want to afford it.

$2,999 for a tower? :confused:

I recently built a pc with an intel board, celeron D 2.66, 1 gig ddr2 ram, *integrated graphics*. In both windows and it absolutely destroys my mac mini. Same Apps, Same settings. Don't forget that this configuration is about 80% the price of a baseline mini, so if someone was able to buy a retail copy of x86, they'd be getting their money's worth. The better new benchmark: Performance per dollar (PPD).

sebaz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Heh its funny how people are still enchanted by this whole run OSX on your average PC. C'mon we all know this is just a gimmick, there's no real point to this, this is far from the real Macintosh experience.

I'm sure that Apple will try its hardest to make it hard to install the final x86 OSX copy on non-mac machines. Eventually it will get hack and it would the geek thing to do for some months, then eventually die out. Those who truly seek the Mac experience will go ahead and buy a Mac, the others will keep on going with regular PC boxes.

I wrote a small article about this on my blog a couple of months back, you guys are welcome to check it out.

ammon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
I would love to setup a render farm of cheap x86 computers running OS X. Then I could do distrubuted encoding for a lot less $$!

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
If I could buy my own set of hardware, and did the research to get hardware that would be compatible, I could care less that my computer, now running OS X, was shiny metal or dull white. To me, the Mac experience IS the OS, not the computer which runs it.

MP

widgetguy

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2005
i have seen it run on a pc like 2 weeks ago it was runing at about the speed of a 1.2ghz powermac but then again the pc only has like 512 mb

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I've seen it run on a P4 3.6 GHz (HT, SSE3) with 1.5 GB RAM, and although CoreImage, Quartz Extreme, etc. were not supported, it seemed to run very fast!
The "look & feel" seemd very quick. Opening apps, opening windows, resizing windows... nothing much to really test it, but it "feels" very fast.
Good sign, if you ask me.

stefan15

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2005
Canada
For anyone who still doubts that it can be done, or have yet to visit this site:

http://www.osx86project.org/

Check out the forum, there are some guys playing around with OSx86 right now (not 100% sure how, but the website's main goal is to discuss OSx86 news as opposed to hacking, which is why you should check out the forum for everything else).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.