Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Lions really aren't the king of all cats. I think a tiger would destroy a lion.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
you are dreaming. wake up before the lion kills you and the tiger!

Actually, I think he is right. Tigers are larger, stronger and more generally more aggressive. Male Lions are generally most aggressive when they are defending their territory. But, the Tiger is more of a solitary, predator and is almost always very dangerous. I went to school in San Diego and made frequent trips to the fine zoo there. They had a HUGE Siberian Tiger. There were a couple times when we looked each other right in the eyes. It totally creeped me out. It was like he was saying, "One false move and you are mine".

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
Am I the only one who doesn't think the Finder is that bad? I don't own a Mac, but I play about with them fairly often and I like the Finder better than Explorer...

Finder is a lot better than explorer, but it's just not as good as the Classic Finder. It's somewhat buggy (although I rarely experience any bugs) and not very consistent.

robPOD

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
NZ
I think apple has already copywrited lynx and couger, I just remember reading that somewhere

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Apple does not have to restrict itself to cat names and they do not have to drop the OSX (as in OS 10) name which is already very strong brand. One can better understand the versioning scheme if the "ten-dot" is omitted from the version number; meaning that the current version for example could very well be pronounced "OSX 4.9" or "OS 10 version 4.9", whichever makes more sense.

So, first of all -- as we're in 4.9 currently, there's no reason whatsoever that Apple could not be continuing Tiger support with 4.10 or 4.25 version, as the version number is not decimal. It's telling us major and minor version of OSX (or OS 10).

Then, another thing, whenever Leopard is out, it will be fifth version of OSX (as in OS 10 version 5.0). There's absotutely no reason why Apple should discontinue OSX at some point, the "OS 10" is their brand for a new generation operating system. As it is a very strong brand name, Apple will likely use it as long as they can really offer "the next big thing" that would put OSX to shame.

Historically, as we all know, things have looked like this:

1) System 1-6 (1984 - 1991)
2) System 7-9 (1991 - 2001)
3) OSX (1999 - current)

One could however predict that something major is going to be happening after OSX 6 in 2008(ish), but remember that history cannot be used to predict the future! Apple may have aces on their sleeves, or not. There's nothing inherently wrong with OSX that would need to be fixed with a major revamp; HOWEVER, there are two things that I can see that would justify calling OSX 6 or seven a "new generation" operating system:

A) feature called "running Windows applications on Apple OS"
B) decision of "running Apple OS on non-apple computers"

Should both of them be happening, we would see a direct battle between Apple and Microsoft. It is likely not gonna happen with Leopard, though, because Apple marketing is probably not ready for it. Yet. We'll see...

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Cougar sounds much better than Lynx...and Leopard sounds more advanced then Tiger. I think they won't use Lynx at all. Plus, as mentioned above, it is close to "Linux".

-=|Mgkwho

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
OSX GEOFFROY'S or OSX Bob or even OSX Caracal

caracal.jpg

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Actually Leopard will be the 6th major release and version of the Mac OS X platform.

Mac OS 10.0 - version 1 Cheetah
Mac OS 10.1 - version 2 Puma
Mac OS 10.2 - version 3 Jaguar
Mac OS 10.3 - version 4 Panther
Mac OS 10.4 - version 5 Tiger
Mac OS 10.5 - version 6 Leopard

Apple does not have to restrict itself to cat names and they do not have to drop the OSX (as in OS 10) name which is already very strong brand. One can better understand the versioning scheme if the "ten-dot" is omitted from the version number; meaning that the current version for example could very well be pronounced "OSX 4.9" or "OS 10 version 4.9", whichever makes more sense.

So, first of all -- as we're in 4.9 currently, there's no reason whatsoever that Apple could not be continuing Tiger support with 4.10 or 4.25 version, as the version number is not decimal. It's telling us major and minor version of OSX (or OS 10).

Then, another thing, whenever Leopard is out, it will be fifth version of OSX (as in OS 10 version 5.0). There's absotutely no reason why Apple should discontinue OSX at some point, the "OS 10" is their brand for a new generation operating system. As it is a very strong brand name, Apple will likely use it as long as they can really offer "the next big thing" that would put OSX to shame.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
I heard from a sound source that Leopard will be the final cat-themed release of OS X.

Prepare for OS X 10.6: Dave. 12-18 months later will herald 10.7: Jim and so forth, in that fashion.

10.9: Geoffrey is going to be simply awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.