Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
It does wake up quicker from sleep. Overall I'm really liking it. The dark theme is cool. I'm excited to see more of the iPhone x macBook mixing together what did they call it again, something with a "C". When the iPhone was sending a picture directly to the macbook.
Continuity

Reactions: Sdtrent

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2017
CA
Continuity is cool. I noticed one thing that is strange about 10.14 My Macbook Pro 15'' 2017 is always using the high performance graphics. I wonder why? Either way, everything looks really nice, I almost feel like it's using the graphics card better than it used to? Someone please reply with more info!

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
It does wake up quicker from sleep. Overall I'm really liking it. The dark theme is cool. I'm excited to see more of the iPhone x macBook mixing together what did they call it again, something with a "C". When the iPhone was sending a picture directly to the macbook.
Continuity.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2017
CA
Does anyone know why my Macbook Pro 2017 is now using the high performance graphics all the time while using 10.14

Reactions: OSX15

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 11.17.52 p.m..png
There's a divider that automatically shows up on the dock. I didn't watch the whole keynote but I assume this is for "Recent apps".

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I just installed Mojave and it seems just as quick as High Sierra. I don't see any discernible performance improvement but it's running just as well as the previous release. The dark theme looks alright, I actually still find that Microsoft did a better job on their dark theme. Maybe it just takes getting used to but I think overall it's a great release.

I already love the privacy feature in Safari, the privacy settings are website specific. So you can adjust it where it's needed.

Do your Safari privacy settings sync between devices or do you have to set Safari up from scratch on each Mac you have?

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
Running it on a spare Mid 2012 MacBook Air.

Opted for Dark Mode but ended up going back to the light mode. Dark mode is fine, but im not used to it and seems to
make it more difficult to see the difference in apps/windows/etc

I dont use the MBA much, so hard to tell about performance. Definitely didn't feel any slower, probably is faster.

Stability wise - everything worked and i haven't had a problem in the short time ive used it.

bobbie424242

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2015
Right? It just looks...cobbled together. Maybe it's because we're not used to it... I dunno.

Dark mode OS wide will usually look worse than app with specific dark mode turned on and not really
a substitute for proper app specific dark mode.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

It’s a nice feature but during the demo I was rolling my eyes and thinking, “You know, Craig, this wouldn’t be necessary if you didn’t put ancient FaceTime cameras in Macs.”

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
What happened to MacOS 10.14 Bumpass Hell?
They could have at least settled for Furnace Creek, or Pinnacles.
Mojave is like naming the OS over 3 counties in western Nebraska.
It's a place to get THROUGH, not a place to stay.
Heck, Name it Lake Mono. That's where all the seabirds come from.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Quick Actions and Finder improvements are a big thing, also make Touch Bar more useful. Dark mode is interesting and will get more so as more devs embrace the APIs. APFS makes installing a test system alongside your main production one a breeze, since the disk space is shared. I could get Xcode to install unfortunately, and there are some weird slowdowns here and there so I will wait for Beta 2 :)

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Quick Actions and Finder improvements are a big thing, also make Touch Bar more useful. Dark mode is interesting and will get more so as more devs embrace the APIs. APFS makes installing a test system alongside your main production one a breeze, since the disk space is shared. I could get Xcode to install unfortunately, and there are some weird slowdowns here and there so I will wait for Beta 2 :)

Ahh, you have Dark Mode! OK, I'm annoying with it now. Thanks for the quick review. I'd love to hear more. No kernel panics I take it, no other crashes? Does the Mac App Store and iCloud work ok? Thanks again! :D

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Ahh, you have Dark Mode! OK, I'm annoying with it now. Thanks for the quick review. I'd love to hear more. No kernel panics I take it, no other crashes? Does the Mac App Store and iCloud work ok? Thanks again! :D

Well, stuff works but other doesn't really. For example, I didn't manage to get TouchBar working properly. I'd wait for the second beta before proceeding I guess. The dev documentation is still very fragmented and I guess that many features are not yet properly implemented. Haven't experienced any crash though, just some weirdness (like actions not happening when pressing a button).

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Can I move my production systems to it yet? Or should I wait for beta 2?

I’d recommend you to try it out first. Again, with APFS installing a secondary OS is super quick and as painless as it gets.

For my purposes, I found the first beta too buggy atm.

mszilard

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2012
I just installed it on a 2013 27” imac, non retina. It seems to me a little bit slower than high sierra, some fonts with dark mode on are a pita to read. Dark mode seems unpolished, and too dark :)
It automatically formated my fusion drive to apfs.

goodbad

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2014
I just installed it on a 2013 27” imac, non retina. It seems to me a little bit slower than high sierra, some fonts with dark mode on are a pita to read. Dark mode seems unpolished, and too dark :)
It automatically formated my fusion drive to apfs.
Have you "clean installed" it or just updated from high sierra?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I made a 2nd APFS partiton (so, shared space with my default High Sierrra partition) om my 2017 iMac / 32 GB RAM / Radeon 580 8 GB / 1 TB SSD, and installed this first beta "clean".
Tried the dark-mode immediately as the setup assistant gave you the choice (see pic)

At first glance I liked dark-mode. Finder, System Prefs, etc. all looks pretty cool IMHO.... until you open Safari and go to macrumors.com (or any other site..) as the web page is full white. The contrast annoys me hugely.

Unless all "white" pages can be turned into dark mode, this dark-mode is just a simple useless "theme" at the edges of the application.

Speed seems the same as 10.13.5 (only tried X-Plane 11 so far) and no immediate issues with stability, but haven't tried it enough for good testing.
LWScreenShot 2018-06-05 at 11.10.39.png

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Ahhhhh...I can't take it anymore. I have gotten hold of beta 1 and I'm ready to rock and roll.

Before I do, one last time: After 4 days, is it running well more or less ? :D :D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.