Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2017
CA
It runs great. I haven't experienced any real issues just some minor glitches/GUI bugs. It seems quicker than before.

homohurre123

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
It runs great. I haven't experienced any real issues just some minor glitches/GUI bugs. It seems quicker than before.
only issue I had is Fullscreen not working prperly from time to time not opening the Video but only a black window in fullscreen you cant close (had to quit safari). but beside no major issue either.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I had to uninstall it.

I tried it on my Macbook pro that I use as a plex server, and none of my backup hard drives worked (USBA connected via USBC dongle).

Defintely excited for it though.

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Improved performance on mechanical drives is something MacOS badly needs, as there are still plenty of Macs out there without SSDs. Sadly, it seems Apple has refused to offer Mojave to the older Mac models most in need of it (2010 and 2011 Macs).

I've always suspected and said that after Snow Leopard, macOS started being more tailored for SSDs at the detriment of HDDs, and I wondered if they turned off things that hurt SSDs but help HDDs, like hot file adaptive clustering.

I'm very curious what improved hard drive performance is about, if they mean more than just APFS.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
I had to uninstall it.

I tried it on my Macbook pro that I use as a plex server, and none of my backup hard drives worked (USBA connected via USBC dongle).

Defintely excited for it though.

Are you using the Apple USB-C adapter?

Anyone else have problems with external monitors and/or hard drives?

Also, Safari...how stable is it?

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Excellent first impression. Except for the UIKit apps. They're a bit of a joke at this point, in so far as they basically make you feel like you're using the iOS simulator on macOS.

TopherZ

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2018
Mac OS Mojave is going to be a huge benefit to individuals with older Macs and will see a huge upgrade in speed on older Macs. I did a Geekbench benchmark to see what that improvement was. It's about a 15% increase in overall speed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 9.30.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 9.30.31 AM.png
    206.9 KB · Views: 332
  • Mojave Speed Upgrade.jpg
    Mojave Speed Upgrade.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 359
Reactions: TokMok3

darkcompass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2018
Mac OS Mojave is going to be a huge benefit to individuals with older Macs and will see a huge upgrade in speed on older Macs. I did a Geekbench benchmark to see what that improvement was. It's about a 15% increase in overall speed.
Didnt see Mac Mini Late 2012 on there, any improvement there?

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017

Are you just comparing to other similar models on Geekbench browser?

There's always system variance with cooling system application and the silicon lottery, that 15% is more likely the drift from that. An operating system update shouldn't move a low level benchmark like Geekbench much (iOS12 did, by a few dozen points, not 15%).

grumpywino

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
How is it with Time Machine? I boot from an external ssd, with Time Machine on a hdd. I use my internal hdd for Boot Camp and Sierra. When I moved upto High Sierra my ssd remained HFS+ and I never bothered converting to AFPS. Kinda wondering how installation will go and what issues I may face...

Mr.Chow

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2013
Austria
How is it with Time Machine? I boot from an external ssd, with Time Machine on a hdd. I use my internal hdd for Boot Camp and Sierra. When I moved upto High Sierra my ssd remained HFS+ and I never bothered converting to AFPS. Kinda wondering how installation will go and what issues I may face...
It may be unrelated to your use case but I have the feeling that time machine is more stable with network storage. In High Sierra I had to associate my samba drive more than once, since time machine informed me of an identity change.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Feels very smooth to me, even after just downloading - probably more so than HS, though I wasn’t expecting any performance improvements? Either way been very pleased with both iOS 12 and MacOS Mojave so far this year, think Apple have got it spot on for this cycle :)

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
Curious about performance. It wasn't really mentioned during the keynote. Wondering how its feeling to those who install.

(first post!)

I just installed on my MacBook Pro 15 2015 and is fast and beautiful. Encryption of the drive (250GB) it took only 25 minutes as compared with High Sierra which took more than 3 hours. I'm very happy with the performance. I will be installing on a MacBook Air 11 8GB 2013 and I will report the performance.
[doublepost=1537818972][/doublepost]
Feels very smooth to me, even after just downloading - probably more so than HS, though I wasn’t expecting any performance improvements? Either way been very pleased with both iOS 12 and MacOS Mojave so far this year, think Apple have got it spot on for this cycle :)

I concur with you, Apple has done a great job with iOS 12 and Mojave...

Last edited:
Reactions: Falhófnir

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
I liked the idea of "Dark Mode" and still do, but some apps dont look great, and the mail app is probably the worst ive seen so far.

Not sure i can stick with it, but i will give it a few days to see if it grows on me.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Updated this PM on my MBA 2017. Seems very smooth and fast (not sure faster) so far very good.
However, the fonts, etc on websites and in apps seem "pale". I'm not running dark mode. Fonts seem to be the worst part but everything seems to be paler and just harder to pick out and read.
I'll probably get used to it but now looks strange.
I don't like the new APP store but I didn't like it on IOS. i really dislike iBooks but the new IOS is really bad also - too complex - the old just worked and was simple.

Time will tell

Marketh

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Manchester, UK
I've just installed; Upgrading from High Sierra, and my trash is still called...trash! I thought Mojave had localisations for UK English and this would be called 'Bin'?

Reactions: rezwits

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
Getting used to dark mode...

Installation went smooth on my cMP 5,1. Loving it so far...except for the new font rendering, at 1 (via terminal) it now seems too much, I think "no font smoothing" is the way forward now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.