Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s.r.

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
on mac mini late 2012 it feels like it's slower and very sluggish upon startup. Even iMessage struggles to send a message sometimes. High Sierra was way better.
Dark mode wise due to high contrast with white content pages it's unusable to me. hurts my eyes.
I do find stacks very useful and a new screenshot feature is quite handy

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Seems like a good time to wait for me. I have so many HFS+ drives, and Macs that max out from 10.5 to 10.13, plus Windows 10 machines, iOS, and Android. As of today, Android File Transfer is still 32 bit.
I don't need yet another file system, APFS, trying to mess with my backups.
Perhaps 10.14.4 will convince me APFS is worth the trouble.

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017
Upgraded two iMacs, two MacBook Pros and one Mac Mini and I did not have a single problem. Dark Mode is fantastic and just makes the system look very classy. For me at least, with Dark Mode apps like Calendar, Photos and iTunes really stand out. I have not experienced the font problems others have reported, on the 2012 non-Retina MacBook Pro or on the Mini.

Some have reported Time Machine problems. I had none, neither backing up directly after the updates nor when I decided I wanted fresh backups after the update. I erased the drive in my Time Capsule and backed up all my devices overnight. Ran perfectly.

Last edited:

darkcompass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2018
on mac mini late 2012 it feels like it's slower and very sluggish upon startup. Even iMessage struggles to send a message sometimes. High Sierra was way better.
Dark mode wise due to high contrast with white content pages it's unusable to me. hurts my eyes.
I do find stacks very useful and a new screenshot feature is quite handy

Thanks for that.

I think I'll stick to High Sierra for now, I still have a couple of 32 bit apps too in my workflow.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I just upgrade from 10.11. What I did were:
1. Backup to time machine
2. Create bootable USB
3. Shutdown --> Reset PRAM --> Shutdown
4. Power up, option -> boot from USB
5. Disk Utility --> format Macintosh HD using APFS
6. Exit Disk Utility --> start installation (took about 10 minutes)
7. In the end installation, choose migrate data from Time Machine
8. Reset PRAM
9. Check incompatible application etc

So far, quite good. No unusual high temp, unusual fan running. Battery life is also good. Sleep is normal. From about 2 days usage, it seems the system is more responsive. Also, previously I have display issue in 10.11 when viewing full screen youtube video. The screen color is getting bad until I type the keyboard. That problem is also gone. Also, I got additional free space about 20-30 GB. My laptop is rMBP 2014. Another thing is the dark mode is very relaxing on my eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.