Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Even there, the X5675 and X5482 were on different OS X versions.

They were. I don't want to prove nigelbb's claims but show that there are different comparison methods which can give different results. It comes from the software used for test itself and how it handles computing tasks. In general Harpertown series isn't close to Nehalem/Westmere series in terms of single threaded performance, but there are areas where it may happen, depends of software optimization and usage of resources.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
I haven't done much reading about the iMacs and haven't use one for more than a few minutes so I can't say how much truth there is to the "double the speed" claims.
It's not a 'claim' objective benchmarks show around double the performance. Just look at the benchmark listings you posted.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
It's not a 'claim' objective benchmarks show around double the performance. Just look at the benchmark listings you posted.

Again, you can't just look at Cinebench numbers and make a determination that, oh since this machine is giving twice the score, it must be twice as fast at everything. Anyway, believe what you like. I'm going out for a bite.

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
What exactly is the meaning of the "RAM" column?
Is that the maximum RAM speed or the recommended speed for the CPU?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Max speed in MHz (of course, talking about on the Mac Pro only). The RAM may run at a lower speed if there is any other limitation.

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
Thank you for this, very useful as I just recently bought a single cpu 4.1 and am looking to upgrade to a hexacore processor.

I've now ordered a x5670, which seems to fit my needs and budget well. Did originally want a x5680/w3680 but prices are about 40-50% more and the performance difference is not that great.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010

Maximum RAM speed supported by the CPU.

I included this column because in some cases a MP can use faster RAM based on the choice of CPU. Or, conversely, there are cases where you could upgrade to a faster CPU but end up with a slower RAM speed.

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
As a sidenote; obviously the RAM itself should also support these speeds. In other words; 1066MHz rated RAM will not run at 1333MHz magically with a CPU that supports 1333MHz RAM-clockspeed. However, faster rated RAM will work (in most cases) just at lower clockspeed based on the maximum capability of the CPU.

More information on RAM compatibility is coming up

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Can you elaborate on your reasoning?
Is this for normal day usage? Or does your suggestion even spply to tasks like using FCPX?
Upgrading from a single 2.8GHz to a 3.2GHz processor will give a 12.5% increase in performance. Whether that is useful to you depends on what work you do. I have both a dual 2.8GHz & a dual 3.2GHz system & really don't see any noticeable difference between them in normal use. On the other hand if you were doing a large video rendering job CPU bound job that took 12 hours on the slower processor then it would take 10.5 hours on the faster processor & that might be useful to you.

As mentioned adding an extra CPU to a uni-procsssor system would be far more useful than upgrading to a slightly faster single processor.

Reactions: filmak

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
Upgrading from a single 2.8GHz to a 3.2GHz processor will give a 12.5% increase in performance. Whether that is useful to you depends on what work you do. I have both a dual 2.8GHz & a dual 3.2GHz system & really don't see any noticeable difference between them in normal use. On the other hand if you were doing a large video rendering job CPU bound job that took 12 hours on the slower processor then it would take 10.5 hours on the faster processor & that might be useful to you.

As mentioned adding an extra CPU to a uni-procsssor system would be far more useful than upgrading to a slightly faster single processor.
Thanks for the explanation.

Reactions: filmak

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Have a cMP 3/1 with X5482's

What can I upgrade these CPU's too, or can you can still buy the old ones new somewhere?

Tia

The Xeon X5482 3.20Ghz is already the highest processor for the 3,1 Mac Pro. The Westmere and Nehalem have a different socket and may not be compatible with the 3,1 cMac Pro's motherboard. Though you can still do some upgrades on other components like GPU, add USB 3.0 or SSD. At 3.20Ghz it is still good for today's tasks.

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
The Xeon X5482 3.20Ghz is already the highest processor for the 3,1 Mac Pro. The Westmere and Nehalem have a different socket and may not be compatible with the 3,1 cMac Pro's motherboard. Though you can still do some upgrades on other components like GPU, add USB 3.0 or SSD. At 3.20Ghz it is still good for today's tasks.
Even the slowest CPUs for the 3,1 at 2,8 GHz are very good for today's tasks (FCPX and games like Battlefront in my case), if you use both sockets. ;-)

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
Cheers

I have a couple of SSD's and a GTX 980. Waiting for an El cap USB3 or 3.1 card. I also have a new PSU and can get a refurb logic board, so I figured replace the CPU's and I have a newish 3/1 again with all the expensive problem parts replaced. Should be good for a while while I figure out what to get for my next workstation. I really want to stay Mac but HP - Z series of some description is looking more likely.

I guess chances are zero that Apple would go back to the cMP form factor?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Cheers

I have a couple of SSD's and a GTX 980. Waiting for an El cap USB3 or 3.1 card. I also have a new PSU and can get a refurb logic board, so I figured replace the CPU's and I have a newish 3/1 again with all the expensive problem parts replaced. Should be good for a while while I figure out what to get for my next workstation. I really want to stay Mac but HP - Z series of some description is looking more likely.

I guess chances are zero that Apple would go back to the cMP form factor?

There are plenty of USB 3.0 cards that work in El Cap, see my signature.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you are saying you are buying spare parts. If so, keep in mind that CPUs aren't really a problem part, they are quite reliable.

Yes, the odds of Apple going back to CMP design are zero or close enough to it.

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
There are plenty of USB 3.0 cards that work in El Cap, see my signature.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you are saying you are buying spare parts. If so, keep in mind that CPUs aren't really a problem part, they are quite reliable.

Yes, the odds of Apple going back to CMP design are zero or close enough to it.

So even after eight years of heavy use the X5482's could, theoretically, still be in good condition?

Cheers for all the effort you and others have put into that USB3 and 3.1 thread ActionableMango. I might wait for 3.1 drivers, can't be far off now.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I just upgraded from dual e5520 processors to the x5677. There is a very noticeable difference in performance, even in just general usage it is far more snappy and responsive.

With the currently insane prices of the x5690 chips the x5677 are definitely an excellent choice assuming you don't need 12 cores for your workflows. 8 should be plenty for me for now.

These cost me about $70 each and then I used an excellent de-lidding service to get them ready for the 2009 Mac Pro that cost $130. So just $270 to double the speed of the CPUs, it has the same 3.46GHz core speed as the x5690 (which currently sell for about $350 each so $830 for the pair plus de-lidding service) so for me at least it will keep the Mac fast enough to last and if I ever need more multi-core grunt, hopefully in the future the x5690 prices will have dropped again so I can go that route or Apple gets their heads out of their asses and starts making some decent hardware again. I am mighty tempted by the new MSI vortex (they made a consumer Mac Pro, currently with 2 GTX 980's in SLI. If the hackintosh community gets this working with OSX....

I ran a 64bit geek bench test and the results are here https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/5540209

Nothing shocking but good to see the numbers to quantify the speed.

Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score

Now I did actually try to de-lid a CPU myself, I have done lots of computer mods in the past and watched a lot of videos of people doing it and no, it is not a good idea. I will write up a full blow by blow account in a separate post, but the tl,dr is I have a nice little expensive paperweight as well!

Ps, anyone want to buy a pair of e5520 CPUs?

Last edited:

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
So If read the information on the first page correctly, I can drop an X5660 into my single processor Mac Pro 4,1 but I will need to perform the firmware update first. In addition, it will support 1333 RAM speed.

No need for a dual tray at this point unless I want to pair up the same processor. I also understand that de-lidding will be necessary for the dual but not the single processor tray.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So If read the information on the first page correctly, I can drop an X5660 into my single processor Mac Pro 4,1 but I will need to perform the firmware update first. In addition, it will support 1333 RAM speed.

No need for a dual tray at this point unless I want to pair up the same processor. I also understand that de-lidding will be necessary for the dual but not the single processor tray.

Correct

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    374 KB · Views: 237

PurdueRPh

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
I would like to thank ActionableMango for this thread. I own a 4,1 Mac Pro that had a W3540 @ 2.93 GHz. I was able to install a W3690 @ 3.46 GHz. Immediately at boot up I could see the difference with this new processor. I ran Geekbench 3.0 64-bit test before and after with these results:
_______Single-Core Score: Multi-Core Score:
W3540 : ___2260 ___________________8889
W3690 : ___2844 __________________16067

Next upgrade : SSD

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Last edited:

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
I would like to thank Actionablemango and bokkow for this really useful and of great value thread.
Their work, this entire thread, are really refreshing (for the forum members) and I think that is very kind of them to contribute so generously to the mac pro community.
Thank you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.