Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I'm sorry if I bothered you. I didn't know your level of awareness and I just wanted you to be informed in case you weren't.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
I'm sorry if I bothered you. I didn't know your level of awareness and I just wanted you to be informed in case you weren't.

Thank you but it sounded pretty condescending by assuming first hand I had no idea what I was getting into. Sorry if I misinterpreted your intentions. Let's put this aside as it is out of topic.
Notwithstanding the above, I still stand firm on the fact that there is this irrationality floating around in forums about delidding CPUs. There are always risks involved when doing DYI upgrades and mods.

Never mind comments like @polanskiman! Sometimes communicating accordingly, isn't one's best skills.

Cheers

@m4v3r1ck! Basic communication skills involve being humble by not giving lessons to strangers prior at least asking a few basic questions. Assumption is the m of all f. Probably that seems to ellude you aswell by making such assumptions about my communication skills. Peace.

Last edited:

bullschuck

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2016
You're welcome. Hey, if you end up doing this upgrade, please confirm if it works or not. As far as I know, only the original poster of that thread has done 64GB on a MP 2,1. So it would be good to have corroboration.

Confirmed. I installed two 8 GB ram sticks in and they work just fine. Except that they run hot. 77 and 80 degrees Celsius when idling. I'm presently experimenting with removing the dinky heat spreader that came with them and replacing with the gargantuan ones that I pried off some 512 MB sticks of the same size. Still in the process of removing all the thermal paste gunk on them.
Next week, I'll be tossing in some X5355's. That's where I think I'll see some real returns.

Reactions: ActionableMango

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Hey everyone so I just completed the journey of upgrading my Mac pro 1,1 CPUs and I just want to warn anyone attempting to do this that at least on the 1,1 or 2,1 Mac pro if you fit 2 CPUs with miss matched steppings (say a X5355 one with SLAEG stepping and one with SL9YM Like i did) while the Mac pro will boot up and seem to run fine like this one thing that will stop working is virtualisation (something I do almost everyday) I just want to warn others since people report mixed steppings work (and indeed thats why i decided not to originally return my CPUs when the seller sent miss matched ones) but theres very little on virtualisation breaking (couple posts in vmwares forum only one guy with a mac pro and his was stock like that so apple replaced the CPUs) I hope this helps other people in the future (in my case I bought another SL9YM X5355 CPU to replace my SLAEG and ill keep that if i come across another SLAEG was kinda hopping to find another SLAEG due to the lower power they can draw)

Reactions: owbp and bullschuck

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
hay are there any benefits from running a xeon over a i7, noticed some i7 970/980 on ebay are some times cheaper than the W3670/W3680.
did see that the i7 is listed as not supporting ECC ram & demand based switching (do they run hotter then?)

also noticed them being listed as only taking as taking 24GB of ram ^^ looks like intel like apple never update that info when bigger ram sticks come out
http://ark.intel.com/compare/47917,47918,47933

ps
dose it matter if the i7 980 is a 'x' edition or not?

Last edited:
Reactions: siroht

BlackBox66

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2016
Good day to everyone,

this is my first post and I would like to share my experiment with all of you there, and to ask for some help:

I have 2 mac pros, one is 3.1 with 2.8 E5462 cpu single processor . and 2.1 with 2 x 3.0 X5365. so i took out the 2 cpu's from the 2.1 and i attached them on the 3.1, in the beginning i have had a very hard time to get them to work, because I was using on one to them the heat sink of the 2.8, and after a lot of experiments, i figure it out that I should attach only the original heat sinks of the 3.0 GH cpu for both CPU's and it worked like charm with the geek bench jumped from 5700 to 11800 for multi cores

but unfortunately I am not able to get the 2.8 cpu to work on 2.1 mac. so i would like to ask for an advice on how to do that, if i am missing something, or something that i need to change? or is it workable or not?
I appreciate and advice from anyone on advice. thank you

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Good day to everyone,

this is my first post and I would like to share my experiment with all of you there, and to ask for some help:

I have 2 mac pros, one is 3.1 with 2.8 E5462 cpu single processor . and 2.1 with 2 x 3.0 X5365. so i took out the 2 cpu's from the 2.1 and i attached them on the 3.1, in the beginning i have had a very hard time to get them to work, because I was using on one to them the heat sink of the 2.8, and after a lot of experiments, i figure it out that I should attach only the original heat sinks of the 3.0 GH cpu for both CPU's and it worked like charm with the geek bench jumped from 5700 to 11800 for multi cores

but unfortunately I am not able to get the 2.8 cpu to work on 2.1 mac. so i would like to ask for an advice on how to do that, if i am missing something, or something that i need to change? or is it workable or not?
I appreciate and advice from anyone on advice. thank you

According to the table on he 1st page, you CANNOT use E5462 on the 2,1.

tampano

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2016
So now I just put my hands on a X5680 and before replacing the original I have just a few questions, just to be sure:

- coming from a W3530 and moving to a X5680 is not an issue per se, right? (I'm talking about single vs double internal architecture)
- wattage is the same, so no issues here I suppose
- someone told me the height could be different and some adjustment should be made to the processore cage. any reference on it?
- anything else you can share will be appreciated

thanks

P.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
- someone told me the height could be different and some adjustment should be made to the processor cage. any reference on it?

I've never heard of anyone having to adjust their processor cage. That doesn't even make sense to me.

The only CPU height difference I'm aware of is the delidded processors that came with 2009 dual CPU Mac Pros, which is not the case here.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So now I just put my hands on a X5680 and before replacing the original I have just a few questions, just to be sure:

- coming from a W3530 and moving to a X5680 is not an issue per se, right? (I'm talking about single vs double internal architecture)
- wattage is the same, so no issues here I suppose
- someone told me the height could be different and some adjustment should be made to the processore cage. any reference on it?
- anything else you can share will be appreciated

thanks

P.

It's totally OK to replace the W serious by the X serious.

Wattage is not a problem.

Height is not a problem, you can measure it by yourself.

It's just a simple CPU swap, nothing special.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
Height is only a problem on macpro 4.1 dual cpu upgrades (when using cpu's with the lid still on, if you de'lid them then it's not a problem) the 4.1 single cpu dose not have that problem

Last edited:

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
Hello,

I am currently running only 1 CPU in my Mac Pro 2009 dual CPU. Obviously all fans are running at full speed. I can't install the 2nd CPU at the moment so is there a way to bring those fans to their normal speed? If yes, how?

thank you.

Last edited:

StarlightSun

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2015
Hi all. I have a Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) with 2 x 2.8GHz Quad Core processors - the original processors that came with it when I purchased it.

I recently bought a pair of 3.0GHz Quads with a view to upgrade it. I already attempted once to upgrade them but had trouble removing the fan section, so I assembled everything back together and left it for another time. (I freaked out)

Happy to attempt it again, however my question is: how necessary is it to upgrade the processors? Or not even upgrade them, but is it necessary to eventually clean up/re-apply the silver thermal paste? I'd like to upgrade the MP just to make it a bit more future-proof, not out of necessity (at the moment). But curious if the upgrade of the CPUs or re-application of fresh thermal paste to the original CPUs is beneficial to the life-span of the machine?

If it's just an optional thing, I'll wait until I feel the need to install the 3GHz processors in. Thanks! :) *noob*

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
Hi all. I have a Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) with 2 x 2.8GHz Quad Core processors - the original processors that came with it when I purchased it.

I recently bought a pair of 3.0GHz Quads with a view to upgrade it. I already attempted once to upgrade them but had trouble removing the fan section, so I assembled everything back together and left it for another time. (I freaked out)

Happy to attempt it again, however my question is: how necessary is it to upgrade the processors? Or not even upgrade them, but is it necessary to eventually clean up/re-apply the silver thermal paste? I'd like to upgrade the MP just to make it a bit more future-proof, not out of necessity (at the moment). But curious if the upgrade of the CPUs or re-application of fresh thermal paste to the original CPUs is beneficial to the life-span of the machine?

If it's just an optional thing, I'll wait until I feel the need to install the 3GHz processors in. Thanks! :) *noob*

Upgrading is absolutely not necessary per say unless you need the extra speed. It all depends what you are doing with your machine. No matter what, I would say it is absolutely necessary to clean the IHS and re-apply thermal grease every time the CPU and the heatsink are separated. Failing to do so will introduce air gaps between your IHS and heatsink when you screw your heatsink back. Thermal conductivity will suffer and your CPU will run hotter with time. Honestly for what thermal grease costs don't over think it. The only moment I don't replace thermal paste is when I am testing a CPU and I know I will be swapping it back and forth in the machine. When I know it will remain permanently in the socket I will then clean and re-apply the grease.

Last edited:
Reactions: StarlightSun

Obioban

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
Would I be correct in assuming that for single core tasks (games) in a 4,1-->5,1 Mac Pro, the fastest processor option is the

Westmere 2 core Dual Xeon X5698 4.4 1333 130W - - -

followed by

Westmere 4 core Dual Xeon X5687 3.6 1333 130W - - -

What do the "-" and "x" under the 4,1 and 5,1 columns mean?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Would I be correct in assuming that for single core tasks (games) in a 4,1-->5,1 Mac Pro, the fastest processor option is the

Westmere 2 core Dual Xeon X5698 4.4 1333 130W - - -

followed by

Westmere 4 core Dual Xeon X5687 3.6 1333 130W - - -

What do the "-" and "x" under the 4,1 and 5,1 columns mean?

That means both X5698 and X5687 won't work on the cMP. So, you are wrong. The fastest are still X5690, X5677, and W3690. They are all 3.46 Turbo 3.73Ghz.

Obioban

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
That means both X5698 and X5687 won't work on the cMP. So, you are wrong. The fastest are still X5690, X5677, and W3690. They are all 3.46 Turbo 3.73Ghz.

Well, I guess I proved once again what making assumptions does :p

Between the i7 990X and the X5677, which is faster for single processor tasks? And, can you run the i7 990X in a dual processor 4,1 --> 5,1?

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
all you need to know http://ark.intel.com/compare/47929,52585
for single processor tasks you want higher clock speed not more cores so two fast 4c cpu's is what you want
the i7 xxx or w36xx cpu's are for single cpu use only you need the 'x' line of cpu for dual cpu

edit the link is to intels info on both cpu's

Revoxy

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2016
Has someone tried a E5440, E5430 or E5420 CPU with the MAC Pro 3.1?
Usually you can short two Pins so these CPU's will run with 400MHz FSB.
The E5430 should run at 3,2GHz, the E5440 will run at 3,4GHz (with a higher Vcore).
I think 3,4GHz would be a big upgrade from the 2.8GHz Version.

I only found this modification Idea with the old 1.1 (http://www.o0o.it/pro/)

Last edited:

StarlightSun

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2015
Upgrading is absolutely not necessary per say unless you need the extra speed. It all depends what you are doing with your machine. No matter what, I would say it is absolutely necessary to clean the IHS and re-apply thermal grease every time the CPU and the heatsink are separated. Failing to do so will introduce air gaps between your IHS and heatsink when you screw your heatsink back. Thermal conductivity will suffer and your CPU will run hotter with time. Honestly for what thermal grease costs don't over think it. The only moment I don't replace thermal paste is when I am testing a CPU and I know I will be swapping it back and forth in the machine. When I know it will remain permanently in the socket I will then clean and re-apply the grease.

Thank you - I'll definitely re-apply the thermal paste if and when I upgrade the CPU. Will give it another try over the summer :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.