Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Has someone tried a E5440, E5430 or E5420 CPU with the MAC Pro 3.1?

When I compiled the list in the first post, I never found anyone who has tried those CPUs in a Mac Pro. You would be the first to try that I am aware of.

Unfortunately, the 3,1 seems to be unusually picky about CPUs. You can see from the list that it supports very few CPUs and even the wrong stepping on an otherwise identical CPU model won't work. So I don't think odds are very good.

These CPUs aren't that expensive. But if you are on a tight budget, I'd suggest buying them from someone with a generous return policy in case they are not compatible with the 3,1's firmware.

Revoxy

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2016
These CPUs aren't that expensive. But if you are on a tight budget said:
Thanks for your answer! The E5440 cost about 10€ with the "right" stepping. I give it a try!

Is it possible to start the MAC with only ONE CPU to test the compatibility?

After this test i will start to make some overclocking test on an old 775 Board because I know there are a lot of overclocking nerds who archived 4GHz with these Xeon CPU's. So 3,4GHz with a little bit more Vcore should be an easy attempt.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
indeed it is possible to boot with 1 CPU in all dual CPU Mac pros (as long as its CPU A) in fact the 3,1 shipped in such a config with just 1 CPU installed and a second empty socket. regarding the 1333Mhz FSB Harptown CPUs Im pretty sure they will work as long as you avoid the Bad steppings (the SLBB ones) you want the SLAxx ones (I think one guy here was rocking 1333Mhz FSB Harps in his 3,1) Im just wondering if the Tape pin FSB mod works on 1333Mhz FSB CPUs to boost them to 1600mhz FSB? (looks like the fastest 1333Mhz FSB CPU that would theoretically work aka has the right stepping is the X5460)

Revoxy

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2016
Overclocking with this does not work with El-Capitan and overclocking does affect the "real time clock", time is going faster than. This tool is for Benchmarking, not for every day use.

I think there is no chance to ran the x5460 with 400MHz FSB, otherwise intel would have this CPU in its programm those days. But 3,8GHz would exeed 150W TDP.
The 3,4GHz is the fastest one with 150W and is the fastest CPU (but is nonexistent with the slaxx stepping), so there is a good chance to reach this 3,4GHz with the X5440.

But the 5440 is a low voltage CPU and the voltmod is not very easy.

tampano

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2016
It's totally OK to replace the W serious by the X serious.

Wattage is not a problem.

Height is not a problem, you can measure it by yourself.

It's just a simple CPU swap, nothing special.

I'm going to replace it in minutes. Any standard benchmarking software you all would suggest to compare a before/after?

Thanks

P.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
cinbench is good for cpu shows both single core speed and multi core speed
geekbench is ok but i like it less
handbrake is a nice one

and something to watch temps is always good

tampano

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2016
cinbench is good for cpu shows both single core speed and multi core speed
geekbench is ok but i like it less
handbrake is a nice one

and something to watch temps is always good

Nice and clean in only 10 minutes! :)

Here's some screenshots

GeekBench3 Trial
geekbench.png
iStatMenu W3530 vs X5680
old.png new.png

Thanks to everyone in this thread!

Reactions: orph

tampano

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2016
Now next question is...where to find compatible RAM upgrades? A quick look to Crucial gives me only 8Gb modules. How to get to the maximum of 64? I have a single processor so I have four slots available.
Thanks again.

pierrox

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2015
Paris, France
4,1 dual-processor Mac Pro uses a special, "lidless" CPUs (the single-processor models use normal CPUs).
I upgraded my 2009 last year and am very pleased with it.
A friend of mine has a 2010 and would like me to upgrade it for him. I was going to buy the same delidded X5690 I installed in mine. But reading that gave some doubt. Does the 2010 take regular procs?
I thought 4,1 and 5,1 were identical machines, but maybe not.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I upgraded my 2009 last year and am very pleased with it.
A friend of mine has a 2010 and would like me to upgrade it for him. I was going to buy the same delidded X5690 I installed in mine. But reading that gave some doubt. Does the 2010 take regular procs?
I thought 4,1 and 5,1 were identical machines, but maybe not.

2010 model always use normal CPU.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Added E5440 SLANS for Mac Pro 3,1.

The first post is now a wiki, just in case I become unable or unwilling to maintain it. But be careful if you edit it--there's a lot of messy BBCODE for all the tables.

Revoxy

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2016
I can confirm that the FSBSEL Mod does work on the Xeon 5440. So it is possible to start this beast with 3,4GHz.

Taping only two pins is easy, a little bit more complex was the voltage Mod. My Xeons had 1,215V and 1,200V as default voltage and i added around 100mV for stable operation (still waiting for 24h prime stability test results).

I would not recommend to try this modifications on the Mac Pro first, because changing the CPU is not very easy. Try to get an 775 Board which does work with 400MHz FSB (P35,P45 Chipset) and swap the modded CPU aftwerwards.

I measured power dissipation of one Xeon with my Fluke: Around 100W Peak. So the CPU is not even touching TDP of 120W. Mabe it is possible to try the E5450 clocked at 3,6GHz within 150W?

If you guys are interested, i will write a longer "report" next week.

But be warned: This Modding needs a lot of time, see it as an hobby. I think the increase of Speed is not "worth" the time, if you don't like playing around with hardware.

Interesting links:
http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6149/6011140004_b01b5afe13_b.jpg
--> Be warned this is for a 775 CPU. The triangle is on the left side.
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwilw8iWu-jMAhXpCsAKHSjKC8EQFggfMAA&url=http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/quad-core-xeon-5400-datasheet.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE6rHcY8z78tHMfS6Om9WxB-dL9Hg&bvm=bv.122448493,d.ZGg
--> This is the hardware Manual of the Xeon Series. FSB Sel and VSel settings are described here
http://www.hardwareluxx.de/communit...2-quad-vcore-pin-mod-mit-tutorial-401942.html --> Exel tool for V-Mod calculations is there, it's much more understandable than the hardware Manual!

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
a write up would be cool :) not sure anyones done this with a 3,1 Before heh. Well done! maybe run geekbench and post some results heh

Revoxy

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2016
Geekbench Score is about 680 Points. Should i also try the e5450 :confused:

I will try to describe what i have done. Most parts are described much better (written by native speakers :cool:) in other communities.
If your fine motor skills are bad, this mod is nothing for you :eek:

Overclocking is an iterative process, you change settings, system will crash, you change them again, system will crash and so on....
If i tried Overclocking on the Mac Pro, i would be forced to disasamble the CPU's on every try, this would have drive me nuts. There is no software (i mean bios) overclocking functionality. So i choose a Socket 775 Platform to evaluate the CPU's capabilities.

On most socket 775 Boards, overclocking is very easy. We need an FSB of 400MHz so only "good" P45 and P35 Boards will work. Just watch Youtube or search for 775 Overclocking on google.
I talked about 775 but the MAC CPU's are all 771. Some smart guys found out, that with slight socket modifications the 771 CPU's work in some 775 Boards (google for 771 xeon mod).
Two pins must be swapped with a litte bit of tape (xeon mod sticker) and you must cut out some plastic notches.

So if you got a running 775 Platform, you can start with overclocking it. First find out the default Vcore (eg. with cpuZ).
Then you can set the FSB to 400MHz and increase the vcore until the 775 runs stable. For me, there was a big jump between "stable for 1 our" and "stable over the night". My first CPU seems to be stable at 1,25V but needed another 50mV to be "rock stable". Don't "overcool" the CPU in the PC board, the Mac will run them until the termal limit is reached.

Because the Mac Pro does not have overclocking capabilitys, whe must "hardcode" these Settings.

FSB selection on Socket 775 and 771 was very easy. Only 3 Pins on the CPU are responsible for the FSB. These Pins are only red on start and these pins do have static voltage on them.

The voltage selection on 775 and 771 is simmilar, but there are 6 pins, for a voltage range from 0,85 to 1,6V (!!!).
If you hide a pad of the cpu (with some tape) the voltage in the socket pin goes to High. If you connect a pad with another ground pad, you got a LOW.

Let's begin with the FSB:

You are coming from FSB 333MHz and whant to change it to 400MHz so you must change BSEL1 to HIGH according to the table, because only on BSEL1 is a difference.

Intel BSEL Table LGA775.JPG
Here is the example of the 775 socket FSB Sel Mod from 333 to 400. On 771 the notch on the right side is nonexistent, but you must tape the same pins. The Triangle for orientation is hidden on this picture, it's on the left handed side.

6011140004_b01b5afe13_b.jpg

With a higher frequency the CPU needs more current, so you need to higher the voltage.
Every CPU is an unique, so there will be a unique Vcore you must chose for your CPU.
My CPU's came with a standard Voltage of 1,215 and 1,2V and i added around 100mV.
These 100mV was not a guess,

Vcore.png

According to this table, i had to change VID6, VID5 and VID4 on both CPU's (1,215->1,315 and 1,200->1,300)
In the appendix you will find a nice exel tool which will do the math for you, its from the hardwareluxx thread.
It looks like this:

Vmod tool.png

Again: The two notches are for socket 775, your orientation is always the triangle.
Taping the Pins is "easy", connecting two pins is more difficult. I used my soldering iron to connect these two pins and used a nail file to make the solder points flat. I had also tried conductive ink, but it contaned only carbon and the impedance of the conection was far to high. Please search what kind of ink does work.

If you did all these modifications, tripple check the positions and put the CPU back in your 775 System (and do a bios Reset). If you messed it up, your CPU will run very hot or "burn" at 1,5V. Good that it's not your mac and only a cheap 775 Platform.

Now this CPU should show up as 3,4GHz with a new Vcore (CPUz does show wrong values for me, but the bios showed the right "modded" default value).
Only if the CPU is still stable, you can change the CPU in the Pro 3.1.
The System Information dialogue will not show the correct FSB but tools like CPUz (only tested in Windows) do show up an FSB of 400MHz.

Both 771 e5440 cost me around 25€ and a 775 board is around 30€ (you can sell it with a modded xeon for more afterwards).

Attachments

• C2D VMod Calculator v1.1.zip
    56.5 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Would this matched x5690 work? http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/162098551711

Also, I was wondering about the PSU. My Mac Pro 5,1 (2010) already has a GTX 970 on it, would this higher voltage CPU (130w each) over tax my Power supply?

Thanks a lot!

This pair looks good to me. And the PSU is rated 980W, even though you put a TitanX + dual X5690 in there, the PSU still has few hundred watt spare.

Reactions: zoomp

FGamble

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
I am planning to upgrade the cpu on my 5,1 quad with 32GB RAM to a hex and am curious to know if there is any significant performance difference between a w3680, x5680 and a x5675.

All three are 1333 for RAM but the x5675 has a much lower wattage at 95W versus the 130W of the other two.

If performance is comparable it seems like a no brainer to go for the x5675?

Also hoping to upgrade GPU to allow a 4K monitor. I don't game so don't need super high end performance just need this capability really; any recommendations?

Last edited:

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
For X5675 vs W3680/X5680 the slight difference is 0.27GHz, wether that's worth it is up to you in either way ;) noticeable is relative but in general use; not really a difference in speed.

My first GPU after the stock HD5770 to use a 4K display was a GTX660, I would recommend that card, can be found for around $80.-/$100.- I guess

Reactions: FGamble
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.