Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Agreed! Thanks to all for providing this valuable info. My 4,1 -> 5,1 firmware update completed successfully and my X5660 CPU is working just fine! Still trying to locate a good RAM upgrade, then I will focus on a better graphics card. :D

Machines

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2015
Fox River Valley , Illinois
I can personally attest that a pair of six core L5639 Xeons with B1 SLBZJ steppings / S-spec (total of 12 cores at 2.13 GHz) is a compatible configuration with a Mac Pro 5,1 or upgraded 4,1 > 5,1 .

I built this custom Mac for a web site developer that needed to run a lot of concurrent virtual machines and the configuration was thermally very cool, energy efficient and rock stable . Not everyone needs fast chips .

As far as I know , I am the only technician that built this configuration in the Mac community . It was built about two years ago and had a Geekbench2 64bit multicore score of 18129 running Mountain Lion . 1066 MHz memory was supported , but I did not even try 1333 MHz .

Client was overjoyed as at the time it was the least expensive 12 Core Mac for sale in the country . He actually sent a rep all the way from Texas to pick up the machine since I was too much of a fraidy-cat to ship it without using perfect packaging materials . Today , I have the same shipping boxes OWC uses so I can ship all my Macs safely .

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I can personally attest that a pair of six core L5639 Xeons with B1 SLBZJ steppings / S-spec (total of 12 cores at 2.13 GHz) is a compatible configuration with a Mac Pro 5,1 or upgraded 4,1 > 5,1 .

1066 MHz memory was supported , but I did not even try 1333 MHz .

Added, thanks. Wikipedia says 1333 is supported.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I just upgraded from dual e5520 processors to the x5677. There is a very noticeable difference in performance, even in just general usage it is far more snappy and responsive.

With the currently insane prices of the x5690 chips the x5677 are definitely an excellent choice assuming you don't need 12 cores for your workflows. 8 should be plenty for me for now.

These cost me about $70 each and then I used an excellent de-lidding service to get them ready for the 2009 Mac Pro that cost $130. So just $270 to double the speed of the CPUs, it has the same 3.46GHz core speed as the x5690 (which currently sell for about $350 each so $830 for the pair plus de-lidding service) so for me at least it will keep the Mac fast enough to last and if I ever need more multi-core grunt, hopefully in the future the x5690 prices will have dropped again so I can go that route or Apple gets their heads out of their asses and starts making some decent hardware again. I am mighty tempted by the new MSI vortex (they made a consumer Mac Pro, currently with 2 GTX 980's in SLI. If the hackintosh community gets this working with OSX....

I ran a 64bit geek bench test and the results are here https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/5540209

Nothing shocking but good to see the numbers to quantify the speed.

Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score

Now I did actually try to de-lid a CPU myself, I have done lots of computer mods in the past and watched a lot of videos of people doing it and no, it is not a good idea. I will write up a full blow by blow account in a separate post, but the tl,dr is I have a nice little expensive paperweight as well!

Ps, anyone want to buy a pair of e5520 CPUs?

I just figured out that the RAM was still running at 1066MH, reset the NVRAM and now it is running at 1333MHz, so I ran another Geek Bench to see if there are any differences.

Just a little bump (realistically negligible).

Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score

Machines

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2015
These cost me about $70 each and then I used an excellent de-lidding service to get them ready for the 2009 Mac Pro that cost $130. So just $270

There is no thermal conductive advantage of having a Nehalem Mac Pro's heatsink directly contacting the die of an integrated-heat-spreader-less CPU , so going with lidless processors in the upgrade is just an installation convenience . (Or a nightmare if somebody removed the lid incorrectly) . Best to go with the washer method for upgrading Dual CPU 2009 cMPs and use unmodified processors .

The X5677 is an unsung hero in the Xeon Universe for those that don't need all the cores in a X5690 . The X5677 was once king of the hill , briefly .

Last edited:
Reactions: MrAverigeUser

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
It's great to see people still modifying tower Mac Pros, not that there is a chance in Hell that Apple will notice. The 3.46GHz six-core I upgraded my 2012 3.2 quad to almost a year ago is running wonderfully. I expect to get several more years of use from it as I don't use it all that much.

Machines

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2015
It's great to see people still modifying tower Mac Pros, not that there is a chance in Hell that Apple will notice. The 3.46GHz six-core I upgraded my 2012 3.2 quad to almost a year ago is running wonderfully. I expect to get several more years of use from it as I don't use it all that much.

Apple is making so much dough from iPhones that the Mac Pro Dev Team is sequestered in the unfinished crawl space of the Spaceship . Rumor has it they'll get running water and electricity allocated to them someday and I don't mean rainwater and fireflies .

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Updated first post. Added Intel Engineering Sample information and a stepping compatibility column for MP3,1. Also fixed some minor typos.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I surmised that much.
Compatibility problems like what? Not booting anymore? Or crashing? Or performance problems?

As far as I can tell from reports, it doesn't work at all. SLAxx are the older processors and SLBxx are the newer processors. Apple never updated the MP3,1 firmware to support the newer stepping, and the computer won't even start up.

I did not see any similar issues for any other model MP.

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
As far as I can tell from reports, it doesn't work at all. SLAxx are the older processors and SLBxx are the newer processors. Apple never updated the MP3,1 firmware to support the newer stepping, and the computer won't even start up.

I did not see any similar issues for any other model MP.
Well, then I got lucky. The ebay seller sells both steppings for X5482, but I got the SLANZ one.

bullschuck

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2016
Is there anyone who can confirm that a MP 2,1 can support 64 GB of RAM? Or a MP 1,1 with the 1,1 --> 2,1 firmware upgrade? This is the only place I've seen it, but I have a ton of respect for this board. And I want it to be true.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Is there anyone who can confirm that a MP 2,1 can support 64 GB of RAM? Or a MP 1,1 with the 1,1 --> 2,1 firmware upgrade? This is the only place I've seen it, but I have a ton of respect for this board. And I want it to be true.

I won't promise you anything, but I can say that it's not a typo on my part. The source for "64GB in a MP 2,1" is here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/64gb-ram-in-2006-mac-pro-2-1.1939624/

On more than one occasion people here have successfully exceeded what other sources say is the maximum. I believe the other sources are old information that was correct at the time but that nobody cares to update when higher capacity RAM becomes available.

Reactions: bullschuck

bullschuck

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2016
I won't promise you anything, but I can say that it's not a typo on my part. The source for "64GB in a MP 2,1" is here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/64gb-ram-in-2006-mac-pro-2-1.1939624/

On more than one occasion people here have successfully exceeded what other sources say is the maximum. I believe the other sources are old information that was correct at the time but that nobody cares to update when higher capacity RAM becomes available.

Thanks bunches!

bullschuck

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2016
You're welcome. Hey, if you end up doing this upgrade, please confirm if it works or not. As far as I know, only the original poster of that thread has done 64GB on a MP 2,1. So it would be good to have corroboration.

I don't know that I can spring for the entire 64 GB right now, but I think I am going to invest in a couple of 8GB men cards. That would support the OPs statement.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
There is no thermal conductive advantage of having a Nehalem Mac Pro's heatsink directly contacting the die of an integrated-heat-spreader-less CPU , so going with lidless processors in the upgrade is just an installation convenience . (Or a nightmare if somebody removed the lid incorrectly) . Best to go with the washer method for upgrading Dual CPU 2009 cMPs and use unmodified processors .

The X5677 is an unsung hero in the Xeon Universe for those that don't need all the cores in a X5690 . The X5677 was once king of the hill , briefly .

Thank you very much,
I want to upgrade my 2,26 8-core soon using the "washer-method".
Is there anything else to look for when upgrading the cpu´s of a 4,1 machine (aside from 5,1 firmware)?
I heard about a thermal sensor of the PSU to look for because the distance gets more than in the original system.. is this correct?
Would thermal pads be better than the "classic" paste-method and what thickness would be best? I read 2-3 mm would be fine?
Thank you in advance...

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Thank you very much,
I want to upgrade my 2,26 8-core soon using the "washer-method".
Is there anything else to look for when upgrading the cpu´s of a 4,1 machine (aside from 5,1 firmware)?
I heard about a thermal sensor of the PSU to look for because the distance gets more than in the original system.. is this correct?
Would thermal pads be better than the "classic" paste-method and what thickness would be best? I read 2-3 mm would be fine?
Thank you in advance...

There is a pretty good picture/instruction thread here that answers your questions.

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
Just wanted to report that the upgrade from 4.1 to 5.1 worked flawlessly. Simply had to download the firmware from Apple's website manually as Apple changed the location of the firmware after this utility came out.

I will be upgrading CPUs to X5670 2.93Ghz and RAM soon. I will also be delidding CPUs myself as I do not intend on modifying my MP heatsink fan connectors to accommodate lidded CPUs.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Just wanted to report that the upgrade from 4.1 to 5.1 worked flawlessly. Simply had to download the firmware from Apple's website manually as Apple changed the location of the firmware after this utility came out.

I will be upgrading CPUs to X5670 2.93Ghz and RAM soon. I will also be delidding CPUs myself as I do not intend on modifying my MP heatsink fan connectors to accommodate lidded CPUs.

Before you attempt a delid, you should read these threads if you haven't already:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/4-1-dual-cpu-delid-or-leave-the-lid-down.1959772/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/so-you-want-to-update-your-2009-mac-pro.1959959/#post-22643059

I don't want to discourage you from trying a self-delidding, because DIY is fantastic. But if it were me I would want to make an informed decision.

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
Before you attempt a delid, you should read these threads if you haven't already:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/4-1-dual-cpu-delid-or-leave-the-lid-down.1959772/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/so-you-want-to-update-your-2009-mac-pro.1959959/#post-22643059

I don't want to discourage you from trying a self-delidding, because DIY is fantastic. But if it were me I would want to make an informed decision.

Thanks for your concern. Not only have I already read extensively what there is to read about this subject but I am also very much aware of the risks involved. I am also lucky enough to have the detailed guidance of a member of this forum with years of experience in delidding soldered cpus. Honestly, I don't like wasting money. This said not delidding the cpu also involves some risk and there are many forums and sites which have demonstrated what the consequences can be when done wrong.

With all due respect, I'm a bit tired to hear and read about how risky it is to delid a cpu. This excessive fear seems pretty irrational in my opinion. Delidding involves similar risks as tinkering with the heatsink clips, adding washers, changing thermal pads and screwing the heatsink back with x amount of turns not to crush anything. Falling to do this method properly can cost you more than the cpu alone. I believe that whatever people decide to do with a machine that cost them thousands of dollars usually know what they are doing or at least understand the risk involved and are ready to accept the consequences if things go wrong.

This said, great job in creating this compatibility thread. I am sure it is of great benefit to the community.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.