Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think is the source of the graphics issues on Mac Pro (Late 2013) ?

• Hardware

Votes: 68 52.7%
  • Software

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • Hardware & Software

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

jjoonas

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2018
I have D300 Mac Pro(8-core, 64gb, 1Tb SSD) and I also experience the same symptoms as described in this thread "displayModeDidChange failed: set_display_mode_and_vram failed!" This normally happens several times per day(only once if I'm very lucky), since I like to set netflix or youtube etc. in the background while working... Very frustrating and I haven't had any luck with suggested solutions in this thread, hoping that Mojave would solve the issues, but I also ordered sonnet egpu.

Also I don't feel comfortable selling this trashcan, while knowing this problem persists. Hopefully the egpu will be a solution to have a working system.

My monitor is Philips BDM4037U and with this rant I just wanted to add my voice to this and maybe someone at Apple bothers to read this thread and address the issue, since calling, sending kernel crash and bug reports don't seem to cause any actions. When I get the freeze I can recover by reconnect the displayport cable, which causes system to reboot and gives me possibility to send crash report, which is not the case if I just do the hard reset. I also created a "script" to my desktop, which accomplishes the same without reconnecting the displayport, but I need that part of the desktop to be visible all the time to be able to double click it when the freeze happens.

If anyone has already tried the egpu solution and had success with it, I would love to have confirmation before spending any more money on this...

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I'm still experiencing this exact scenario almost daily on 10.13.6

I had this problem regularly for the last few years. Apple changed the graphics cards and psu and it still occurred.

I have upgraded to Mojave public beta and so far I have not had a freeze!

If you want to try it use the full beta installer to benefit from any firmware update.

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Ok guys, I got official email from Apple:

"Hi Bane,

This is a courtesy email regarding Bug ID# 33blabla511.

Please verify this issue with the macOS Mojave 10.14 beta 11 and update your bug report at https://bugreport.apple.com/ with your results.

macOS 10.14 beta 11 (18A389)
https://developer.apple.com/download/
Posted Date: September 12th, 2018

If the issue persists, please attach a new sysdiagnose captured in the latest build and attach it to the bug report. Thank you.

macOS sysdiagnose Instructions:
https://developer.apple.com/services-account/download?path=/OS_X/OS_X_Logs/sysdiagnose_Logging_Instructions.pdf "

This could be a hint of some kind of a fix.
I don't own nMP anymore, so please test this a Mojave version and let us know. I certainly hope for good news.

nglevin

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2018
What's the longest uptime that people are seeing on Mojave? I'll try it this weekend?

It's been long enough that I don't remember exactly when it last crashed on me. At least two betas ago now. I've been using Feedback Assistant to report each time that I've seen it happen.

Reactions: OverZealous

JayBayAye8

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2017
There have been a handful of people saying Mojave developer betas seem to have fixed this issue. The official Mojave comes out in 4 days I believe. Anyone who gives it a whirl, please report back to us. I'm absolutely afraid to update at this point since Sierra or High Sierra is when this all began for me. Things were perfect before that.

I was having it doubly worse because I didn't see the pattern of Photoshop 2015 crashing on High Sierra. I learned today that Adobe admits there's a big problem and recommended everyone update to 2017 or beyond. That's a heads up for anyone seeing Photoshop freeze your comp on launch just like described in this thread. That takes care of a lot of the crashing. Hopefully Mojave finishes the rest off.

RxJemm

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2018
This error came up as soon as I switched back to High Sierra for a NVme SSD install. Googling the error led me here. I am now on Mojave Public Beta 10 (18A389) and so far so good!

p.s. For those on High Sierra, is the D300 ROM version different for you?

These are mine on Mojave:

Code:
AMD FirePro D300:
Chipset Model:    AMD FirePro D300
Type:    GPU
  Bus:    PCIe
  Slot:    Slot-1
  PCIe Lane Width:    x16
  VRAM (Dynamic, Max):    2048 MB
  Vendor:    AMD (0x1002)
  Device ID:    0x6810
  Revision ID:    0x0000
  ROM Revision:    113-C4012F-687
  VBIOS Version:    113-C4012PA-012
  EFI Driver Version:    01.0D.687
  Automatic Graphics Switching:    Supported
  gMux Version:    4.0.11 [3.2.8]
  Metal:    Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

Code:
AMD FirePro D300:
Chipset Model:    AMD FirePro D300
Type:    GPU
Bus:    PCIe
Slot:    Slot-2
PCIe Lane Width:    x16
VRAM (Dynamic, Max):    2048 MB
Vendor:    AMD (0x1002)
Device ID:    0x6810
Revision ID:    0x0000
ROM Revision:    113-C4012F-687
VBIOS Version:    113-C4012PB-012
EFI Driver Version:    01.0D.687
Automatic Graphics Switching:    Supported
gMux Version:    4.0.11 [3.2.8]
Metal:    Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1
Displays:
DELL P2715Q:

arkans

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
Hello,
so I come to inform you that I too had had for several months accidental crash of my mac pro, I apparently found a solution, I remove the ram memory of the location of left and left that those on the right, since no more crashes of the mac.

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
Mojave final out. Maybe it's finally fixed. Or maybe Apple just did some workaround in Mojave to make it look like the problem is gone, but it's just masked.
The betas looked promising though, according to some here.
Anyone tried final yet?

jjoonas

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2018
I updated to final... I had one freeze, but system recovered from it in few seconds(no reboot, video continued) and I was able to continue working... (not sure what happened, but the symptoms were the same --> non responsive and screen stopped) With betas I did not experience any problems and the machine worked flawlessly. I will report if I have any more problems, but so far everything is good.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
I updated to final... I had one freeze, but system recovered from it in few seconds(no reboot, video continued) and I was able to continue working... (not sure what happened, but the symptoms were the same --> non responsive and screen stopped) With betas I did not experience any problems and the machine worked flawlessly. I will report if I have any more problems, but so far everything is good.

Interesting - this really would finally be some kind of solution à la Windows. If it recovers, you are able to reboot.

In my case on the latest version of High Sierra I already discovered a new version of the crash. It is not freezing immediately, but slowly dying away. Moving the cursor, it starts to flicker .... and ............. flickers ................slowly ....................to ..........................death.

MCal27

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
Stoke on Trent. UK
Thank god for this thread... been changing configurations and adding/removing Thunderbolt devices trying to get to the bottom of my random finder crashes.... Gonna goto Mojave tonight and hope I have good luck with it too. Not sure all my apps are compatible yet, but as the Mac is virtually unusable as a reliable workhorse right now what's to loose.

D300 nMP upgraded to 6 Core Xeon.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Apple updated the BootROM for MP61 with 10.14.1 DP1

MP6,1
Code:
$IBIOSI$ MP61.88Z.0125.B00.1808170703
Copyright (c) 2005-2018 Apple Inc.  All rights reserved.
Apple ROM Version
  Model:        MP61
  EFI Version:  126.0.0.0.0
  Built by:     root@saumon
  Date:         Fri Aug 17 07:01:38 PDT 2018
  Revision:     126 (B&I)
  ROM Version:  F000_D00
  Build Type:   Official Build, Release
  Compiler:     Apple clang version 3.0 (tags/Apple/clang-211.10.1) (based on LLVM 3.0svn)

paolobale

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
Just to update you on this kind of issue:
I got 2 working station, pretty similar.
One got 2 old HDI 1080 monitors and one got 1 Dell U3415W + an HDMI splitter connected as a LCDTV16.
In the workstation 1 a MP with a D300 2048 crash continuosly with Kernel Panic.
As soon I move the MP on the second Workstation with different monitors (Dell), it works smooth.
At same time, the other machine, a MP with a D500 on board, works smooth on the old LCD HDMI monitors.

So, I guess it is a monitor gestion problem on the D300 GPU.
A solution may be as Eugi84 wrote here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-late-2013-gpu-driver-issues.1860297/page-61

Best Regards

MCal27

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
Stoke on Trent. UK
Just to update you on this kind of issue:
I got 2 working station, pretty similar.
One got 2 old HDI 1080 monitors and one got 1 Dell U3415W + an HDMI splitter connected as a LCDTV16.
In the workstation 1 a MP with a D300 2048 crash continuosly with Kernel Panic.
As soon I move the MP on the second Workstation with different monitors (Dell), it works smooth.
At same time, the other machine, a MP with a D500 on board, works smooth on the old LCD HDMI monitors.

So, I guess it is a monitor gestion problem on the D300 GPU.
A solution may be as Eugi84 wrote here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-late-2013-gpu-driver-issues.1860297/page-61

Best Regards
So your issue is kernal panics, not so much finder hangs that many of us are getting yeah?

paolobale

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
Both! Randomly. When hang the Finder I have no log, when it crash, I got the Kernel Panic report. Now it is 5 hours it works smooth without any problem.

Reactions: MCal27
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.