Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think is the source of the graphics issues on Mac Pro (Late 2013) ?

• Hardware

Votes: 68 52.7%
  • Software

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • Hardware & Software

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Pardo83

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
I've traded my cylinder mac with a maxed out cheese grater mac pro a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. The beast is always on, never experienced a crash.
I hope for you that still have the can that with Mojave the issues are finally solved

paolobale

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
:D:apple: funny!
Anyway, just to talk, I got both machine, 5,1 and 6,1. A 5,1 dual processors 3,7 or so and a couple of new 6,1 3,5Ghz 6 processors. The workflow with the 6,1 is impressive. If not crash! ;)
But not crash so much! I discover the bug only with old HDMI monitors and only with the D300.

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I've traded my cylinder mac with a maxed out cheese grater mac pro a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. The beast is always on, never experienced a crash.
I hope for you that still have the can that with Mojave the issues are finally solved

Me too, although I´m still waiting for two X5690s, USB 3 controller and some drive carriers for optibay....

Attachments

• MPc.png
    MPc.png
    138 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: Pardo83

JayBayAye8

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2017
I updated to Mojave tonight and had a freeze trying to play a video where the platform was based on Flash (southparkstudios) and then launched Photoshop CC 2018 and it froze the comp too. Some old story, nothing changed for me.

I wish I had known about this issue when they did their free one-year fix-athon. I'm sure they'd charge me for it now and I'd be out of a computer for a good month. It's got me pretty sour, especially since I bought the 2013 Mac Pro in 2015 after waiting and waiting on a refresh, only for it to be a complete frustration. At least the hybrid drive restarts fast...

Idolum

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2016
Me too, although I´m still waiting for two X5690s, USB 3 controller and some drive carriers for optibay....

I installed Mojave two days ago after reading about your personal note from Apple. So far it seems to work. I was still running Sierra with an occasional freeze up and booted up a Mavericks partition that never experienced a crash since 2013 for mission critical work. Any other combination just didn't work. I hope Mojave does the trick. I will post an update in the future. So far so good.
[doublepost=1538117393][/doublepost]
I updated to Mojave tonight and had a freeze trying to play a video where the platform was based on Flash (southparkstudios) and then launched Photoshop CC 2018 and it froze the comp too. Some old story, nothing changed for me.

I would de-install Flash in a flash.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2018
Hi all, I am new to this forum because I am suffering from crashes and freezes since upgrading to the final version of Mojave. I bought a used Mac Pro with D300's a couple of months ago and only heard about these problems after. I didn't have any problems with High Sierra when I got the Mac Pro, but upgraded to the Mojave beta after hearing positive comments from people just in case. I never had a crash or freeze ever, but on Monday I immediately started to get freezes after setting up the final version of Mojave on the Mac Pro. The symptoms are pretty much the same what other people have experienced, but I only find "gpuRestart" logs in the Console, no Kernel Panics or anything. The UI just freezes but music and such seems to continue in the background.

The interesting thing seems to be that I never had a problem with the Mojave Beta. Maybe they removed the Mac Pro improvements for the final version and are going to reintroduce them with 10.14.1 perhaps?

Really eager to hear more reports from people. I have installed 10.14.1 Beta just now and see if it improves the situation. Will report back.

Attachments

• Kernel_2018-09-28-082815_Gilberts-Mac-Pro.gpuRestart.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 115

nglevin

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2018
It works better on my Mac Pro 6,1 than it does on my Mac Pro 5,1. No freezes yet on the last two betas and the current stable release of 10.14.0.

I'm probably going to turn this Trashcan into an ESXi 6.7 machine this weekend, so maybe that's when I duck out of Mojave beta testing.

If you're seeing crashes or freezes, use Feedback Assistant and get on board the beta program! Those sysdiagnoses help Apple engineers, and Metal 2 is brand spanking new enough to have its own hiccups.

Last edited:

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
It's good, but..

was using chrome then... i thought it's freezed, then login window appeared (happens if loginwindow process dies)

then Logged in again and everything was slow, I was able to reboot using macos menu then everything went back ok.

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2018
It's good, but..

was using chrome then... i thought it's freezed, then login window appeared (happens if loginwindow process dies)

then Logged in again and everything was slow, I was able to reboot using macos menu then everything went back ok.

The exact same thing happened to me too, I am on 10.14.1 beta. It is so weird that Mojave Beta worked without issues and final version does not.

Going back to High Sierra now to see how it goes. If Apple doesn’t fix the issues I will probably have to get an EGPU, I have invested too much money in MP upgrades to just give up.

jjoonas

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2018
Got my first real freeze with the Mojave Final... screen froze, audio continued and then after few seconds I was thrown into the login screen. :mad::apple::mad: After login everything was slow --> reboot and all is normal.... I was so hopeful with this, but seem like I am forced to get the egpu...

nglevin

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2018
I'll add that I've also had smcFanController boosting my 6,1's fan speed to ~1500rpm all this time. Still stable atm.

I know Mac Pros are largely calibrated to run hot, with as little noise as possible, unlike their former Xserve counterparts which ran loud and for better longevity. I'm not expecting that to be a fix, but it might be an intermittent workaround if the freezes are caused by overheating hardware. Running with a theory that I believe has been shared in this thread, earlier.

Will get back on board the beta program in case I have good sysdiagnoses to report. ESXi 6.7, fwiw, is great software but really does not know what to do with a 6,1's GPUs in a virtualized Mac environment. It's better for Mac Minis.

arkans

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
salut, bon essayer d'enlever les barrettes de ram de l'emplacement de gauche, depuis je n'ai plus aucun freeze de mon mac pro 6.1.

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2018
I don't really want to jinx it but after downgrading to High Sierra I haven't had a single crash so far, and the Mac Pro is running non-stop for 2 days now with heavy use. With Mojave I had crashes pretty much instantly after 30 minutes of normal use (just browsing).

Seems like for some people Mojave fixed the issue, for me at least it made it worse. Actually, before Mojave final I haven't had a single crash on High Sierra or Mojave Beta. Sure this isn't helping anyone but just shows how complicated this issue seems to be.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
New BootROM for MP61 with 10.14DP2:

EFI string: 127.0.0.0.0
BIOS string: MP61.88Z.0125.B00.1809171517

Code:
$IBIOSI$ MP61.88Z.0125.B00.1809171517
Copyright (c) 2005-2018 Apple Inc.  All rights reserved.
Apple ROM Version
  Model:        MP61
  EFI Version:  127.0.0.0.0
  Built by:     root@saumon
  Date:         Mon Sep 17 15:11:58 PDT 2018
  Revision:     127 (B&I)
  ROM Version:  F000_D00
  Build Type:   Official Build, Release
  Compiler:     Apple clang version 3.0 (tags/Apple/clang-211.10.1) (based on LLVM 3.0svn)

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Apple's been working hard on the BootROM department!!

Could it really be an issue with the RAM sticks?
Apple don't divulge BootROM release notes, but a lot of changes seems to be EFI security improvements, Intel ME and microcodes updates.

grunty

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
Mojave final out. Maybe it's finally fixed. Or maybe Apple just did some workaround in Mojave to make it look like the problem is gone, but it's just masked.
The betas looked promising though, according to some here.
Anyone tried final yet?
I think it’s this ( a workaround). Anecdotaly I’ve seen some hangs and I’m sure it has restarted but it’s not showing as a crash in my last log in the same way it was before.

jrpe002

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2018
Has anyone else tried this change? I've never had Kernel Panic since i did it, and about 10 days have passed.

I am implementing this into my Mac labs today. I have been having issues with my MacPro 6,1 systems have this KP very regularly, probably around 50 systems total. I am guessing your still having luck with this fix?

eepyikes

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
I am implementing this into my Mac labs today. I have been having issues with my MacPro 6,1 systems have this KP very regularly, probably around 50 systems total. I am guessing your still having luck with this fix?
Is it possible to try the fix on some of them and try just updating to Mojave on the others? You may have the best opportunity of anyone here to try different fixes and compare them.

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
I've noticed something unusual with my nMP and D700s under Windows 10.

I've just finished a fresh install of Win10 1803 after reformatting my system and upgrading to Mojave. I have a 1tb drive which is divided in half for OSX and bootcamp. After a fresh install and updating to the latest bootcamp drivers including the 6.3 graphics driver update from apple I installed MSI aferburner which comes with Riva Tuner. Riva tuner allows you to see stats on CPU/GPU utilization, temps, etc. I made NO adjustments to the graphics profile - just used the On Screen overly.

I loaded up a couple of games (Guild Wars 2 and World of Tanks) and noticed that even with Crossfire explicitly off - and I know CF is off because neither of these games works very well with it enabled - GPU 1 stayed at 99% utilization and a clock speed of 850Mhz which is maxed out. Temps on GPU confirmed it was indeed "busy". GPU2 fluctuated during game play as expected as it was the GPU that was rendering the game.

So, noticing this I opened up MSI afterburner and confirmed that the "Disable ULPS" setting was indeed un-checked. ULPS is the technology that is suppose to disable and throttle down a 2nd graphics card that isn't being used in a dual-card configuration.

I then checked "Disable ULPS" and rebooted. Started up GW2 and immediatley noticed that GPU1 was at 0% utilization and idle at 300Mhz - As you would expect if ULPS was enabled. Weird huh? Perhaps what ever bit gets flipped to turn this feature on and off is backwards in the driver? If this is the case - I would never have noticed unless I had loaded up the overlay and observed GPU utilization in real time.

I'm glad I noticed this, because under normal gaming, I would have an entire card throttling to 100% and generating heat that was otherwise unneeded. Not a good thing for system longevity. I have no idea what load GPU1 was processing or why it was throttled up.

Can anyone offer any explanation as to what might be going on here?

jjoonas

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2018
I can't seem to figure this out... After the last freeze with Mojave final I went back to beta program and haven't had freeze since then... So beta's are stable, but finals are not...

DDT

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
I can't seem to figure this out... After the last freeze with Mojave final I went back to beta program and haven't had freeze since then... So beta's are stable, but finals are not...
That makes me hopeful there is an actual "fix/botch/workaround" in Mojave. It's probably still being tested, hence the fix being featured in the beta's, but pulled from the released version. With a bit of luck it'll see the light of day with the .1 or .2 update. Or maybe I'm being overly optimistic and it's just coincidence that the betas aren't resulting in crashes, for some reason..

General update from my side:
Freezes seem less here on 10.13.6 than on El cap.. It's still really sporadic, but the pattern seems to be: running stable for a few weeks, with mac almost constantly running, except for a reboot here and there, than out of seemingly nowhere a freeze.. Usually followed by another one within the hour.. And then it's back to no freezes for a few weeks..
Only thing I am noticing, which I never had in El Cap, especially when watching videos on Youtube (with chrome) or videos with quicktime, is these white ''bars'' that flicker once on part of the screen, every once in a while..
Waiting until all my software is confirmed to be compatible with Mojave and then I'll update my machine and see what's what..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.