Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ynet.co.ul (Hebrew) posts about Apple utilizing the Viiv platform for an upcoming computer:

...According to rumors, Intel will introduce on Sunday for the first time its new VIIV technology. Apple computers deniced rumors that they will introduce the first intel based laptops in the CES show. However, a source close to Apple agreed to confirm off the record that a first Mac computer based on the VIIV technology will be introduced this coming Monday at the Macworld Expo 2006...

There have been previous suggestions that Apple would be using the Viiv platform.

otter-boy

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
iGary said:
Christ, is it Monday yet?

Is it Tuesday yet? I mean, that's when the keynote is right?

edit: Hey Mac_Freak, how'd your comment get up ahead of mine (or mine get below yours--semantics)? The first time I looked, it was just iGary and I who had posted--strange. Good point either way though.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
Why not give credit?

I'm glad you guys posted this, but why not give credit where credit is due? I sent you guys this link + translated quote a few days ago. A simple credit to odedia would have been nice.

Anyways, I hope this is indeed correct.

And by the way, it's http://www.ynet.co.il, not http://www.ynet.co.ul.

Oded S.

dwwd

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2005
Cool site

Good site to train my hebrew... if it had nekudot would be a lot better ;-)

Daniel

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
odedia said:
I'm glad you guys posted this, but why not give credit where credit is due? I sent you guys this link + translated quote a few days ago. A simple credit to odedia would have been nice.
Oop. Somebody got served.

*Raps Macrumors on the knuckles* Bad boy! Bad!

Busting chops today. Ask anyone :rolleyes:

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
I wouldn't be surprised. I guess you'll see everything Intel® (Leap Ahead™) on Macs, but let's hope we don't see their graphics chips, yet worse, their stickers! :eek:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
There may be a "media package" with the new MacIntels but you have to understand what ViiV is exactly..

ViiV is designed for PeeCee's.Period

For any PeeCee it requires the Intel Chipsets for ViiV.Which includes the ONBOARD graphics chipset..

And I can guarantee you Apple will NOT have that onboard graphics in ANY Mac.

How do I know?

I just do;)

now...Vingle
Thats a different story..

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
Peace said:
now...Vingle

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1321
A final filing is more vague, describing Vingle as "Computers; computer hardware; computer peripherals; hand held computers; computer terminals; personal digital assistants; electronic organizers; electronic notepads; apparatus for recording, transmission and reproduction of sounds, images, or other data; portable and handheld digital electronic devices for recording, organizing, transmitting, manipulating, and reviewing audio, video and still images files; magnetic data carriers; mobile digital electronic devices; telephones; computer gaming machines; monitors, displays, keyboards, cables, modems, printers, videophones, disk drives; cameras; computer software; computer software for use in authoring, downloading, transmitting, receiving, editing, extracting, encoding, decoding, playing, storing and organizing audio, video and still images; computer software for DVD authoring; prerecorded computer programs for personal information management; database management software; computer programs for accessing, browsing and searching online databases; blank computer and consumer electronic storage media; computer and electronic games; user manuals sold as a unit with the aforementioned goods"

hmmm......

Peace said:
now...Vingle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viiv
Obviously, this isnt all the information, but it makes no refferance to onboard graphics.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
odedia said:

Anyways, I hope this is indeed correct.

And by the way, it's http://www.ynet.co.il, not http://www.ynet.co.ul.

Oded S.

Credit for showing us a link? What if they got it from other sources? Some people are way too sensitive, damn...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

otter-boy

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Peace said:
There may be a "media package" with the new MacIntels but you have to understand what ViiV is exactly..

ViiV is designed for PeeCee's.Period

For any PeeCee it requires the Intel Chipsets for ViiV.Which includes the ONBOARD graphics chipset..

And I can guarantee you Apple will NOT have that onboard graphics in ANY Mac.

How do I know?

I just do;)

now...Vingle

From what I've read, Intel's new onboard graphics chips will work with any additional graphics chips that are installed in the computer (instead of switching off or bypassing the integrated graphics chips as some computers do now). Or at least it will be an option for their onboard graphics to function in addition to other graphics chips/boards.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
otter-boy said:
From what I've read, Intel's new onboard graphics chips will work with any additional graphics chips that are installed in the computer (instead of switching off or bypassing the integrated graphics chips as some computers do now). Or at least it will be an option for their onboard graphics to function in addition to other graphics chips/boards.
Can you put that into english for me. lol

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
RichP said:
Of course it does, Media Edition is the only software currently available that works on the platform.
As I stated a while back, I know somebody currently taking a sandwich year at Uni working for Intel. When he mentioned ViiV and I suggested the Mac Mini, he looked surprised and said it would be a completely different thing. As I said at the time, either he was telling the truth, or he is a very convincing actor, (especially given employees are probably coached in acting under their non disclosure agreement).

From what I have seen and read, it appears these boxes with ViiV processors will be exclusively be running WMC and designed purely for media, not as computers at all. They will connected up to TVs replacing DVD players, DVRs and the numerous other boxes we currently posess.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If anyone wants to explain WHAT exactly Viiv is, accurately and simply, in 20 words or less, I will be eternally grateful.

Even AFTER Intel unveiled Viiv officially, I still only feel like I grasp certain bits of it. I can repeat the sentences I've read but I still don't feel like I have the whole picture. They'd better hope most consumers understand it more easily than I do, or Viiv is a doomed branding effort :eek:

And for the record, I expect Apple to use some elements of Viiv, but not Viiv per se. Purely a guess though :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
nagromme said:
Even AFTER Intel unveiled Viiv officially, I still only feel like I grasp certain bits of it. I can repeat the sentences I've read but I still don't feel like I have the whole picture. They'd better hope most consumers understand it more easily than I do, or Viiv is a doomed branding effort :eek:

seems more of a catch phrase/marketing term more than anything... but is a standardized set of hardware aimed at providing DVR/home media center functionality.

arn

otter-boy

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
nagromme said:
If anyone wants to explain WHAT exactly VIIV is, accurately and simply, in 20 words or less, I will be eternally grateful.

Even AFTER Intel unveiled VIIV officially, I still only feel like I grasp certain bits of it. I can repeat the sentences I've read but I still don't feel like I have the whole picture. They'd better hope most consumers understand it more easily than I do, or Viiv is a doomed branding effort :eek:

And for the record, I expect Apple to use some elements of Viiv, but not Viiv per se. Purely a guess though :)

Here's a try: ViiV is a brand that is meant to assure customers that they can get a certain experience (such as 7.1 surround sound) on approved hardware using approved media (BD, etc.).

sorry, 30 words

Both players and media will be marked to show compliance with the ViiV standard/branding/marchitecture.

Other included technologies are hig-def video and secure data transfer for media (i.e. the content owner defines the rights you will have to your data, preventing piracy and a whole slew of previously legal uses of your property, such as transferring music to an iPod). edit: it's not the technology that will make the uses illegal, but the use of additional rights management code, the circumvention of which is outlawed by the DMCA.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Peace said:
According to Intel.The ViiV platform requires MS Windows Media Edition
http://www.intel.com/products/viiv/description.htm

Thats why it says "Mac" Viiv...

Oh I really hope something like this does come out for the Mac! I have been wanting a computer with DVR functionality for quite a while and a Mac DVR would just float my boat

Oh edit:
From Peace: now...Vingle

Oh that does sound good... more like the Mac version of Viiv

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.