Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
otter-boy said:
Here's a try: ViiV is a brand that is meant to assure customers that they can get a certain experience (such as 7.1 surround sound) on approved hardware using approved media (BD, etc.).

That's about the vague level I was at :eek: So it's simply a list of specs that, if you meet them all, allows you to buy a Viiv logo?

Like if I said, "anybody who puts 1GB RAM, 100 GB HD, and Zip compression software on a machine qualifies to buy my NagrommaticPowerStorij sticker."

Is there anything more to Viiv than that? (Other than the fact some of the specs call for Intel chips?) I'm not down on Viiv, I just don't understand it enough to be "up" on it!

EDIT: my NagrommaticPowerStorij program is now available to everyone. I felt that requiring 100GB HD was too limiting to users. Price: $2000. I will email you a PDF of the sticker. Get your own sticker paper.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I don't get it

OK so VIIV is a set of standards to "aspire" to.
is it also a processor ? and if so is it designed to be a "CPU" of sorts for the device it's in. or is it a sort of "coprocessor" (not MMX per se') kind of like the "physics processors" you hear about now and then that will help games, 3d modelers etc.

and why would (or wouldn't) ViiV be great to have in a mac (Any model, be it mac mini, imac, or powermac)

thanks in advance, I'm really just trying to get up to speed on this.

emutree

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2005
Canada
I wish it was pronounced "Veeve" like I used to think it was. Sounds so much cooler than the actual "rhymes with five" name.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
VIIV is just like Centrino is to the mobile market, a branding that manufacturers that use certain Intel chipsets, processors, additional hardware (audio, DVR) and Windows Media Center 2005 can place on their products. I'm sure Intel will launch a massive marketing campaign for VIIV (again like Centrino) and manufacturers that produce VIIV computers can tie into it (and ride Intel's marketing wave).

I don't see what all the fuss is about. There is no way that these VIIV PC's are going to rely solely on Intel's Integrated Graphics technology.

Update: Apparently a TV tuner and Remote is not required to qualify for VIIV since Intel added those options to a their disclaimer also.

Requirements (from Intel's web site):

Processors
Intel® Pentium® D processor ›
Intel® Core™ Duo processor ›
Intel® Pentium® processor Extreme Edition ›

Chipsets
Intel® 975X Express Chipset ›
Intel® 955X Express Chipset ›
Intel® 945G Express Chipset ›
Intel® 945P Express Chipset ›
Intel® 945GT Express Chipset ›
Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset ›

LAN
Intel® PRO/1000 PM Network Connection ›
Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection ›
Intel® PRO/100 VM Network Connection ›

And of course the disclaimer...

Home networking capability and many Intel® Viiv™ technology-based usage models will require additional hardware devices, software or services. Functionality of Intel® Viiv™ technology verified devices will vary; check product details for desired features. System and component performance and functionality will vary depending on your specific hardware and software configurations

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
All of Apple's product lines report 24 hour shipping at the Apple Store Online. Anyone else worried that this year's MacWorld might be a let down besides iLife 06? :eek:

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
plinkoman said:
am i the only one who thinks that Viiv is the most retarded name on earth?

Well, it makes sense, if only partially.

64 bit processors are cool. There's a lot of other cool stuff in the VIIV spec too, but Intel's been hounded about their 64-bit solutions for a few years. So 64 is cool. And what cooler way to say "64" than in roman numerals?

LXIV .. Hmmm ... Okay, maybe not.

But if we says "6" and "4" in roman numerals, we can pronounce it!

VI IV.

Other possible entymologies:

It's like "TiVO", but without the "T" and "O" and twice as good (even though one of the times is backwards...)!

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
Ok, wait, ViiV is for the desktop market right, not for laptops. We wont see it in a powerbook right?

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2005
Macrumors said:
[
There have been previous suggestions that Apple would be using the Viiv platform.

"Last week, Intel announced company support for its Viiv media platform due in the 1st quarter of 2006.

A Viiv-based PC is expected to provide a standard compatibility platform to provide:

- Remote control operation
- Dual-core processor
- On demand Movies, Music, Pictures and Games
- Ability to Record, Pause and Rewind Live TV (DVR functionality)
- Surround sound/home theatre support"

LET THE BATTLE OVER THE LIVING ROOM BEGIN!

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Apple has already won my livingroom. They made a computer that was just handy enough to carry it from my desk in my bedroom alllllll the way to the livingroom. How great is that? Who knew that aluminum could be so friendly to me?

Bastich

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Another possibility...

Maybe they got the name from VIral DRM. Either way, you can bet this will give the media corporations a tighter grip on how you use your electronics.

As for logos, I certainly hope Apple doesn't plaster those awful badges on our pristine hardware for the sake of a few marketing dollars.

:cool:

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
Thanks for crediting.

BTW, ynet is the site for Israel's biggest daily newspaper publication, so it MIGHT be more reliable than one would think.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
odedia said:
I'm glad you guys posted this, but why not give credit where credit is due?
Good for you. You get a cookie:

200px-Fortune_cookie_20040628_223108_1.jpg

(kidding... thanks for the translation)

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
joshuawaire said:
All of Apple's product lines report 24 hour shipping at the Apple Store Online. Anyone else worried that this year's MacWorld might be a let down besides iLife 06? :eek:

I was starting to get the same feeling. But if the Viiv rumors are true, it will mean additional products for now. Not a replacement of existing hardware. Which can be smart, as it will generate revenue in Apple Q2. And if Steve will announce some hard dates for availabilty of the new Intel based Macs, Q3 will look great from a financial point of view. It also will provide Apple time to finalize any of the last minute challenges.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
joshuawaire said:

I do believe Apple has caught on to people gauging updates based on ship dates.;)

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
J@ffa said:
Oh, and if you're in the UK;

2 days, 23 hours, 32 minutes ta go, fools.
How's that? We're not in some kind of time-distortion, the Keynote will still happen at the same time...!

EDIT: I just noticed, you posted that at 5.30PM. Once again Hob has made a fool of himself... AND admitted to it. Nice.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
hob said:
How's that? We're not in some kind of time-distortion, the Keynote will still happen at the same time...!

EDIT: I just noticed, you posted that at 5.30PM. Once again Hob has made a fool of himself... AND admitted to it. Nice.

Haha, well, your point still holds for the timeframe. I think the keynote happens at something like 4pm for us UKers… at least it's not something loony! :)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
kingcrowing said:
stupid question, but how do you pronounce viiv? Is it "6-4" or is it just how its spelt viiv? or v-i-i-v?

It's pronounced V-I-V-E or (LIVE with a V). :)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Peace said:
I do believe Apple has caught on to people gauging updates based on ship dates.;)

Apple typically moves the product lines that are going to be updated to a 3 to 5 day wait. They can't advertise 24 hour shipping, and not deliver. Remember, the majority of Apple's customers probably have no idea that updates are imminent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.