Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pierrox

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2015
Paris, France
The MacBook has been running Big Sur without any problems thus far. The only real thing I have noticed is that sometimes it can be a little slow to wake the screen and log in with the watch. A cold boot is about 20 seconds. I haven't seen any beach-balling from Safari or any of the other apps.
Thanks for your feedback, mine is an early 2016, maxed out - m7 chip (how ironic they named it like this). It's still running the original High Sierra it came with because I couldn't be bothered upgrading. Been thinking about upgrading for some apps lately, is Big Sur a big mistake? Or should I just settle with Mojave?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks for your feedback, mine is an early 2016, maxed out - m7 chip (how ironic they named it like this). It's still running the original High Sierra it came with because I couldn't be bothered upgrading. Been thinking about upgrading for some apps lately, is Big Sur a big mistake? Or should I just settle with Mojave?
I wouldn’t say it is a mistake. It seems to run fine for me.

Reactions: SamRyouji

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
I tried Big Sur on my rMB 2015 (base model) and now on my rMB 2017 (base model). Run fine. I downgraded to Mojave again (never liked Catalina) because I have to use some old 32bit apps I need that can't run on Big Sur anymore because it only runs 64bit.

pierrox

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2015
Paris, France
Sorry, mistake might have been a strong word. Let's say "regrets" instead. At least it's possible to downgrade on a Mac. Unlike an iPhone or iPad, when you realise the latest iOS just renders it almost unusable!
You have a point with the 32bit apps, I have a couple of old ones I use once in a blue moon.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Sorry, mistake might have been a strong word. Let's say "regrets" instead. At least it's possible to downgrade on a Mac. Unlike an iPhone or iPad, when you realise the latest iOS just renders it almost unusable!
You have a point with the 32bit apps, I have a couple of old ones I use once in a blue moon.
After upgrading to BS, I went back to Mojave temporarily and couldn't tell any significant difference in speed. Since I don't have any special apps that require 32bit, I decided to stay on BS since it is working well.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Maxed out 2017 12" MB here. It's good enough, but some browsing is getting slow. Safari keeps giving me errors that gmail is using too many resources if I keep that tab open too long, which causes reloads.

I am holding out for the next form-factor M-based Macbook (Air or Pro or whatever). Hopefully with a return of MagSafe.

While I love the thinness and lightness of the 12" MB, ultimately what drew me to it was the simplicity. I don't need a super graphics or super high-speed i/o. I just need a basic CPU with a ton of ram and a good screen. If Apple ever releases an iGPU laptop with a 15" or 16" screen, I would buy it. A 16" MBA would be awesome.

• Love

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
macOS Monterey excludes the 2015 MacBook. Supported on the 2016 and 2017 only.

So it looks like we 2017 MacBook owners will likely get full macOS support through 2023-2024, and hopefully security updates after that.

Last edited:

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
macOS Monterey excludes the 2015 MacBook. Supported on the 2016 and 2017 only.

So it looks like we 2017 MacBook owners will likely get full macOS support through 2024, and hopefully security updates after that.

Thanks for posting that. I hadn’t noticed that but definitely good to know.

jabintendo

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2018
London
Slightly disappointed the 2015 version isn't getting updated to the new OS.
My battery is in a bad state so going to replace the laptop it once a new redesign is out but this has served me very well as my main machine over the past 5+ years.
I had 2 gpu fails in the space of 2 weeks just before the 3 year mark, but aside from that this has been solid.

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
Mine has also been solid, but the battery is on the way out and SSD is a bit worn I think...

I've got a trip away in August, and I expect I'll keep it for that, then try to move it on after. Unless 14" MBP comes out first to replace both my MacBook and iMac...

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Mine has also been solid, but the battery is on the way out and SSD is a bit worn I think...

I've got a trip away in August, and I expect I'll keep it for that, then try to move it on after. Unless 14" MBP comes out first to replace both my MacBook and iMac...
The battery is a bit cheaper to replace. And SSD? I assume you worked your MacBook very often, as I still on Catalina and at this stage, the usage is around 2% after all the beatings.

My only problem aside from the battery (replaced for $125) is the LCD screen. Apparently Jony wants a very thin machine so he integrated the flex display cable into the screen and the top case altogether, making it a costly $450 replacement.

And lo and behold, that screen spare part in my country (Indonesia) is a bit rare so I braved my eyes and chose a different color rather than wait for a few weeks to get a matching rose gold color. Probably the only two-tone MacBook in my whole country lol 😂
86D1B13A-A3B0-40F9-A59B-6793C9699521.jpeg

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
The battery is a bit cheaper to replace. And SSD? I assume you worked your MacBook very often, as I still on Catalina and at this stage, the usage is around 2% after all the beatings.

My only problem aside from the battery (replaced for $125) is the LCD screen. Apparently Jony wants a very thin machine so he integrated the flex display cable into the screen and the top case altogether, making it a costly $450 replacement.

And lo and behold, that screen spare part in my country (Indonesia) is a bit rare so I braved my eyes and chose a different color rather than wait for a few weeks to get a matching rose gold color. Probably the only two-tone MacBook in my whole country lol 😂 View attachment 1791137
Doesn't look bad and it will give you several more years of use.

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Doesn't look bad and it will give you several more years of use.
Yeah, maybe because the gold blended in naturally with rose gold. It it's space gray or silver one, it will be starkly contrasting. Personally, this two tone one looks like a custom paint job from Colorware.

Well, I planned to keep it for around 3 more years, unless my video and photography editing need more horsepower of M2 / M2X / M3.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
I still hold out hope for a new M1 (or M2) MacBook. The M1 chip seems like the kind of CPU the MacBook chassis was made for.

Since getting the M1 Air my MacBook no longer gets the daily use it once did, but it's still a lovely machine.
I was living the life of my old MacBook 12" up until two days ago when it needs yet another screen repair (extended warranty from the repair, whew...).
Waiting for the M2 Air for the very same reason as you: the brilliant performance on a low energy chip. And the pink color option, if the rumours were true.
As a videographer, I was pretty much blown away seeing experienced video editor comparing the base M1 MacBook to souped up i9 MacBook Pro 16" and they all saw M1 smoked the i9 on heavily edited video preview and rendering.

Reactions: kanon14

Aesthetica

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2014
Hello MacBook 12 owners - I'm considering joining you and buying a 2016 or 2017 - I want one for the fanless design and cheap price. Wondering how hot they get under reasonable load considering the no fans? I'll just be browsing web and using Figma

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
I was living the life of my old MacBook 12" up until two days ago when it needs yet another screen repair (extended warranty from the repair, whew...).
Waiting for the M2 Air for the very same reason as you: the brilliant performance on a low energy chip. And the pink color option, if the rumours were true.
As a videographer, I was pretty much blown away seeing experienced video editor comparing the base M1 MacBook to souped up i9 MacBook Pro 16" and they all saw M1 smoked the i9 on heavily edited video preview and rendering.
pink is my favorite. you have great taste.

• Love

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
Hello MacBook 12 owners - I'm considering joining you and buying a 2016 or 2017 - I want one for the fanless design and cheap price. Wondering how hot they get under reasonable load considering the no fans? I'll just be browsing web and using Figma
I use mine for general browsing and Photoshop and it does not get too hot, if anything, it throttles down performance a bit when it starts to get warm.

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
It is a sad day - my MacBook has been traded in. I have replaced it (and my iMac) with a new 14" MacBook Pro, which feels so much bigger and heavier than the little MacBook.

Reactions: mk313

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
It is a sad day - my MacBook has been traded in. I have replaced it (and my iMac) with a new 14" MacBook Pro, which feels so much bigger and heavier than the little MacBook.

Sad day indeed. I am still using and loving the 12” but I can understand the need to move on. I’m hoping the next air redesign will bring the device closer to what the 12” is. But who knows what will happen.

Reactions: Roadster Lewis

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Sad day indeed. I am still using and loving the 12” but I can understand the need to move on. I’m hoping the next air redesign will bring the device closer to what the 12” is. But who knows what will happen.
The screen will probably be bigger, as there is room for that if you reduce the bezels and keep the keyboard size. And there is definitely a market for a lighter MacBook (Air) than the current 13.3-inch one.

Reactions: mk313

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Never had one, but the one and only time I ever did see one was at an Airport TSA Security where I and some stranger in front of me were taking off our belts and emptying our electronics. I dropped my 2012 15" 5.6 pound MacBook Pro into a bin and it made a loud thud, this guy dropped in a 12" MacBook and my jaw dropped.

The SEXIEST computer of all time I've ever seen anywhere, that's for sure. The price point & the performance and value? Not so much. But no denying that was the pinnacle of pure design for Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.