Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
It is a sad day - my MacBook has been traded in. I have replaced it (and my iMac) with a new 14" MacBook Pro, which feels so much bigger and heavier than the little MacBook.
It is coming back - who knows in what state, as the recycling service have dropped their offer by 80% saying the screen is damaged. I will of course be checking the serial number.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
My Mac Pro 2007 (1,1) is being a bit flaky. It usually works fine but occasionally it doesn't wake from sleep, forcing a restart, and today I got a kernel panic. Also, I often get irritating fan noise too because my other RAM went bad so I was using my backup server RAM which doesn't have the right heatsinks.

I've now replaced the Mac Pro with my 12" 2017 MacBook. I laugh at M1; I'm running m3. ;) It's running in clamshell mode and outputting to a 30" Apple Cinema HD Display. Overall performance is quite decent but it will bog down somewhat if I play an HD YouTube (VP9) video at the same time as heavy multitasking. Fortunately, I do have 16 GB RAM so it's probably better than it might have been. Since I'm running an external dual-link DVI monitor and I need a fair number of USB devices for my work, I'm doing a lot of dongle/hub daisy chaining. Dongle Life™. Remarkably, it all seems to be working fine so far, including with my bus powered USB thumb drives. I was a little worried about heat, but besides YouTube and a bit of other video playback, I'm using mostly just business applications so the MacBook only gets mildly warm. And the silence is wonderful. :)

Eventually I'll have to get an M2 or M1 Pro Mac mini though.

MacBookClamshell.jpeg

AboutThisMacBook-Monterey.png

30-inch_ACD-2.png

Multitasking.png

USBdonglelife.png

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
How does Monterey “feel” as compared to Big Sur on the rMB 12? Snappier?
Performance is fine overall. I don't think it feels significantly faster or slower vs. Big Sur, on my 2017 Core m3-7Y32. On my 16 GB machine, it really only starts to bog down when I multitask a lot and have video playing in the background. (Initially it felt quite slow, but it turns out many of my CPU cycles were being taken by the photoanalysisd process in the background. Once that finished, the machine has been quite responsive..)

There are some idiosyncrasies here and there though. For example, on Big Sur you can drag and drop a picture into the iMessage text entry box. On Monterey, this does not work. You have to drag it to Messages, but it specifically has to be dropped in Messages outside the iMessage text entry box. This seems very odd to me. Is this intentional, or a bug?

OTOH, it finally gets the Convert Image function I've been wanting for just about forever, so I'm happy about that.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
How does Monterey “feel” as compared to Big Sur on the rMB 12? Snappier?
Maybe I am stupid or something but I feel Monterey runs better on the MB12 2017 then Big Sur. If I remember correctly I got way more of those colored balls during several tasks then I do with Monterey. Only battery life has declined a bit imo and it takes just a bit longer to wake from standby.

Somethings else...

I just got the MBP 14 M1 Pro because of that nice almost bezel less Mini Led display. I couldn't resist as a MB12 lover who waits for years now for a successor. And of course performance is like night and day. And display quality is amazing.
But what I really am shocked is just how well the MB12 2017 i7 8GB 512GB still runs with Monterey. And how good that display is honestly. Of course the MBP14 has a way better display, sharper, more contrast, better blacks. But really, for a LCD display from 2017 quality is amazing.

I will definitely keep the MB12 because I wouldn't get that much money for it anymore and I just love it. I just wonder now if I could really wait one more year for a MB Air 2 which seems to have similar display but smaller. It could go to MB12 size if Apple shrinks the bezels and keep the display size. I am torn. My MB12 just runs amazing considering everything. Even keyboard is in perfect condition. Only battery must be changed in the near future. Would cost 200$ ...

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Maybe I am stupid or something but I feel Monterey runs better on the MB12 2017 then Big Sur. If I remember correctly I got way more of those colored balls during several tasks then I do with Monterey. Only battery life has declined a bit imo and it takes just a bit longer to wake from standby.

Somethings else...

I just got the MBP 14 M1 Pro because of that nice almost bezel less Mini Led display. I couldn't resist as a MB12 lover who waits for years now for a successor. And of course performance is like night and day. And display quality is amazing.
But what I really am shocked is just how well the MB12 2017 i7 8GB 512GB still runs with Monterey. And how good that display is honestly. Of course the MBP14 has a way better display, sharper, more contrast, better blacks. But really, for a LCD display from 2017 quality is amazing.

I will definitely keep the MB12 because I wouldn't get that much money for it anymore and I just love it. I just wonder now if I could really wait one more year for a MB Air 2 which seems to have similar display but smaller. It could go to MB12 size if Apple shrinks the bezels and keep the display size. I am torn. My MB12 just runs amazing considering everything. Even keyboard is in perfect condition. Only battery must be changed in the near future. Would cost 200$ ...
That’s good info — thanks! I’m holding off on Monterey until .1 or .2. I always look at the M1 Macs longingly, but my rMB 12 does what I need it to do, and I love the portability. If anything, I oddly would consider a 16” just for the screen size. I really haven’t traveled much since Covid… once we do, I’ll so how much the 12” screen plus my iPad as a sidecar works in my workflow, and go from there.

Reactions: taneff

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
I am totally with you. I think 14.2inch would be enough but for home 16.2 would still be bigger and better. I am now thinking of what to do. I rarely, very rarely, carry my Macbook with me. So normally I only use it at home on my lap or table. So I could easily switch to the 16.2 MBP M1 Pro. I am still torn as I really love the new MBP M1 Pro devices. Display and speed is amazing to be honest. You get used to it. And TouchID. I miss this from my last MBP which I swapped against a 12MB. It is annoying to type in your password all the time.
I will keep my MB12 for sure. I would rather give it to my parents then sell it for 400-500$. I love it so much. But as I use my MB 99% at home I wouldn't mind size and weight THAT much. More weight then size maybe. 2.1kg on my lap is something different. I can honestly feel the difference from 1kg to 1.6 kg with the 14inch. I also don't know what to do. I am like you. Same goes for iPhones. I only consider Mini or Max. But I stay with the Mini lineup. The mid size is always in between for me. And I own an iPad mini 6 5G for on the go. So maybe I will return the 14inch and buy the 16inch.Or really wait for the MBA M2 but that will for sure not be released till Q3/22. One more year. I don't really know at the moment. For sure I would keep the MB12 as my main notebook if I would need to carry it around with me all the time.

I really don't understand why Apple didn't just make the MB12 the new MBA. I mean there already was a 13.3 MBP device. Why have the same display and device size and weight on MBA? It would make more sense to make the MBA line smaller and much lighter than having almost the same size and weight as the 13.3 MBP ...

And regarding Monterey: What I do with every new MacOS, iOS and iPadOS release, I hard-reset my device. So I will start from scratch, clean install. No backup. Maybe this is a reason why it runs so well too. But I would recommend a Monterey upgrade to everyone here. But again, I did a clean install with no backup. Often times this helps with having less bugs and stuttering, esp on older devices.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Is the Apple Refurb Store just trolling us?

Isn't this the 12" MacBook at the top of the page? If so, look at the offered models and sizes on the left.

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 1.00.12 AM.png

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
It is coming back - who knows in what state, as the recycling service have dropped their offer by 80% saying the screen is damaged. I will of course be checking the serial number.
Got my MacBook back, in decent condition. Tried to trade it in locally and was told that the battery was dead. So decided to keep it. My 5 year old son has been using it to learn to code.

In the meantime I also got a MacBook Air from work, which felt really chunky compared to the 12" MacBook. I really think that the 12" MacBook was the peak of think and light notebook design.

mindhaq

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2020
Berlin
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting a used 12 inch rMB (2017) for travelling, as a replacement for my MBA11".

The only thing keeping me away from it are the reported issues with failing keyboards. Especially while travelling, it might be exposed to dust more than when using it just in clean home or office environments.

Was this still a big issue with the 2017 models? What are your long time experiences?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting a used 12 inch rMB (2017) for travelling, as a replacement for my MBA11".

The only thing keeping me away from it are the reported issues with failing keyboards. Especially while travelling, it might be exposed to dust more than when using it just in clean home or office environments.

Was this still a big issue with the 2017 models? What are your long time experiences?
Mine is still perfectly fine after 5 years, but it’s a common problem even with the 2017.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Hey guys,

I have found that a thin keyboard cover has really helped me. I'd get the occasional piece of dust or whatever behind a key & it would feel 'off' for a few days before the dust worked itself out. I bought a second 12" when my spare died & it came with a keyboard cover. I put one on my main 12" & since then havne't had any issues with keys sticking. I'd definitely recommend one.

Reactions: mindhaq

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Never had one, but the one and only time I ever did see one was at an Airport TSA Security where I and some stranger in front of me were taking off our belts and emptying our electronics. I dropped my 2012 15" 5.6 pound MacBook Pro into a bin and it made a loud thud, this guy dropped in a 12" MacBook and my jaw dropped. The SEXIEST computer of all time I've ever seen anywhere, that's for sure. The price point & the performance and value? Not so much. But no denying that was the pinnacle of pure design for Apple.
I do love my 2017 rMB fwiw. There are some issues with it right now like not being able to upgrade the OS, and I noticed the other day that the top case has a very light scratch in it. But I still am going to ride with it to the bitter end.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
I am hoping for a M1 macbook 12 but don't think Apple will because of the keyboard issue. it's too bad, the form factor is amazing, one of the best no compromise laptops if it included the M1 chip.
I agree. That said, I’d be ok with the 13 inch form factor if they could bring the weight down closer to 2 pounds n

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
My wife still uses her 2016 Dual-Core m7 MacBook on a daily basis. It didnt run so good on Big Sur, but once upgrading to Monterey it seemed to liven the machine back up. She refuses to get another machine until this one dies or can no longer handle the things she does on it. I sometimes wish I would have kept mine

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Guti Wong

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2022
I had have the m3 12MB 2015.
It is very compact and light. gorgeous to use.
However only one usb- c is painful. And it is extremely slow. unrespensive when attached to a 1440p monitor.
Finally I’d to sell it to upgrade to MBP
It will be wonderful if Apple remake with the M1 inside, but I don’t think they will do

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I had have the m3 12MB 2015.
It is very compact and light. gorgeous to use.
However only one usb- c is painful. And it is extremely slow. unrespensive when attached to a 1440p monitor.
Finally I’d to sell it to upgrade to MBP
It will be wonderful if Apple remake with the M1 inside, but I don’t think they will do
The 2017 is much more responsive, including when attached to a 2560x1600 monitor (but it’s still not fast).

SocialKonstruct

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Midvale, UT
I have one and this is probably one of my most favorite designs ever. Sadly enough they discontinued it.
Apple need to redo this one for the M chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.