Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Mac are you using (if you are experiencing reboots)

• MacBook Pro

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • MacBook Air

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • iMac

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • iMac Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mac Pro

• Mac mini

• Total voters

Kernel Panicuser

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2022
So you did *not* install 2022-001, or rolled back prior to 2022-001, and the same problem is occurring with 2022-002?
For 2022-01, I did not. But 2021-08 is prior to 2022-01. So do you mean rolled back to 19H15 and install 2022-002 on top of this version ?

smunro

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2022
For 2022-01, I did not. But 2021-08 is prior to 2022-01. So do you mean rolled back to 19H15 and install 2022-002 on top of this version ?
It sounds like you didn't roll back. If I understand what you're saying, you were at 19H16 after installing SU 2021-008, and that you installed 2022-002 on top of that. That means that 2022-001 never touched your OS, and that after installing 2022-002, it is causing the same problem as 2022-001.

Twovr

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2022
With the magic of Time Machine, it's possible to roll back your system to a point before it started crashing. Had assumed system should be stable just after most recent Security Update, 2022-001 (because Apple wouldn't push out a buggy update, would they?), but no joy. So rolled back to just before that update, and for me at least the problem went away. (Absent regular backups, you can accomplish the same thing by reinstalling the system and whatever updates you think won't recreate the problem.)

Once you have a stable system (Wait a bit to make sure!), you can then avoid installing the offending updates by turning off "Automatically keep my Mac up to date" in System Utilities. Click "Advanced" window to just "Check for updates." I'm 100 percent sure Security Update 2022-001 caused the reboot on sleep behavior with my system. Updating to 2022-002 has not. It's an open question on this forum whether 2022-02 installed after 2022-01 quashes that bug. It has so far for Kahakapao.

Last edited:

Kernel Panicuser

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2022
I've experienced the same issue on 2022-01, that's why I reinstalled 4 times Catalina to figure out the reason of crash. But you're right smunro, I didn't install the last patch on top of 2022-01, because once the 2022-02 is available, there is no option for 2022-01 in System Preferences.

And I just have another doubt : the last Security patch should always include contents of all the prior patch, no ? that's why Andrew73875 and I have installed only 2021-08 (not 2021-01, 02, 03... etc.), after reinstalling Catalina in recovery mode, not by Time Machine.

Last edited:

smunro

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2022
With the magic of Time Machine, it's possible to roll back your system to a point before it started crashing. Had assumed system should be stable just after most recent Security Update, 2022-001 (because Apple wouldn't push out a buggy update, would they?), but no joy. So rolled back to just before that update, and for me at least the problem went away. (Absent regular backups, you can accomplish the same thing by reinstalling the system and whatever updates you think won't recreate the problem.)

Once you have a stable system (Wait a bit to make sure!), you can then avoid installing the offending updates by turning off "Automatically keep my Mac up to date" in System Utilities. Click "Advanced" window to just "Check for updates." I'm 100 percent sure Security Update 2022-001 caused the reboot on sleep behavior with my system. Updating to 2022-002 has not. It's an open question on this forum whether 2022-02 installed after 2022-01 quashes that bug. It has so far for Kahakapao.
Yep, I never allow updates, system or otherwise, to happen automatically. I'm with you on what's causing this issue. But installing 2022-001 on top of 2022-002 hasn't worked for me, and it appears from what Kernel Panicuser is saying that the problem can occur even if 2022-002 is installed without a previous install of 2022-001. Very strange.

• Sad
Reactions: Andrew73875

Twovr

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2022
Yep, I never allow updates, system or otherwise, to happen automatically. I'm with you on what's causing this issue. But installing 2022-001 on top of 2022-002 hasn't worked for me, and it appears from what Kernel Panicuser is saying that the problem can occur even if 2022-002 is installed without a previous install of 2022-001. Very strange.
I'm thinking there is some confusion there.

Twovr

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2022
Unlike a Time Machine roll-back, it may be that reinstalling the system over an existing system doesn't necessarily "wipe out" everything the prior Update 2022-001 put there. I can't remember the last time I've actually done this, so I'm no expert. But something I *have* done is reformatted the boot disk and installed macOS Catalina (or whatever macOS you want to use), and I can almost guarantee you this will result in a stable system. (Of course, you'll have to back up your disk first, and then manually copy the stuff you want to keep from your user account to the newly-created disk!) This is probably a better practice anyway.

Kernel Panicuser

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2022
I'm thinking there is some confusion there.

Unlike a Time Machine roll-back, it may be that reinstalling the system over an existing system doesn't necessarily "wipe out" everything the prior Update 2022-001 put there. I can't remember the last time I've actually done this, so I'm no expert. But something I *have* done is reformatted the boot disk and installed macOS Catalina (or whatever macOS you want to use), and I can almost guarantee you this will result in a stable system. (Of course, you'll have to back up your disk first, and then manually copy the stuff you want to keep from your user account to the newly-created disk!) This is probably a better practice anyway.
Yeah, you're right, I've edited my post to clarify the terms (reinstall VS roll back). Like some people in this thread, I didn't roll back by Time Machine, but reinstalled system from recovery mode. Anyway, neither way has solved the problem caused by the two 2022 patch.

smunro

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2022
Yeah, you're right, I've edited my post to clarify the terms (reinstall VS roll back). Like some people in this thread, I didn't roll back by Time Machine, but reinstalled system from recovery mode. Anyway, neither way has solved the problem caused by the two 2022 patch.
But the salient point for this discussion is this: you did *not* install 2022-001, but went straight to 2022-002. And the problem persists. That suggests that 2022-002 does not address the problem caused by 2022-001, and indeed, if built on 2022-001, is in fact having the same effect.

Twovr

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2022
A "clean" install of the macOS should resolve the issue. In any event, once you've got a stable system, I've found that Security Update 2022-02 didn't result in a return of the reboot on sleep bug.

Last edited:

Twovr

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2022
But the salient point for this discussion is this: you did *not* install 2022-001, but went straight to 2022-002. And the problem persists. That suggests that 2022-002 does not address the problem caused by 2022-001, and indeed, if built on 2022-001, is in fact having the same effect.
I meant to reply to you in comment #63, as well.

Kernel Panicuser

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2022
So the questions would be reformulated as :
for those who have solved the sleep bug by 2022-02, have they used Time Machine or reformatted whole disk to get a stable and clean system, before installing it ?
and/or,
for those who still get sleep bug, have they just got a none too clean system (having residue of 2022-01), before installing 2022-02 ?

Mine is the second case.
And I doubt whether the residue can influence efficacy of the last patch, if, it is really dedicated to sleep bug.

Twovr

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2022
So the questions would be reformulated as :
for those who have solved the sleep bug by 2022-02, have they used Time Machine or reformatted whole disk to get a stable and clean system, before installing it ?
and/or,
for those who still get sleep bug, have they just got a none too clean system (having residue of 2022-01), before installing 2022-02 ?

Mine is the second case.
And I doubt whether the residue an influence efficacy of the last patch, if, it is really dedicated to sleep bug.
I used Time Machine. Others seem to have tried reinstalling macOS 10.15.7 over an existing installation. So, what I'm saying is you have to get to a stable system *before* you can know the efficacy of a given patch. Some, like you and smunro, are still having issues. A clean install, though a more radical approach, will almost certainly get you to a stable system. My experience has been that once your system is working properly, System Update 2022-002 (unlike with 2022-001) did not mess it up. But your mileage, as they say, may vary. ?

smunro

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2022
I used Time Machine. Others seem to have tried reinstalling macOS 10.15.7 over an existing installation. So, what I'm saying is you have to get to a stable system *before* you can know the efficacy of a given patch. Some, like you and smunro, are still having issues. A clean install, though a more radical approach, will almost certainly get you to a stable system. My experience has been that once your system is working properly, System Update 2022-002 (unlike with 2022-001) did not mess it up. But your mileage, as they say, may vary. ?
I have only installed 2022-002 over 2022-001; I have not done a reinstall of any type. If I decide to stay at Catalina rather than taking the opportunity to install Monterey, I'll probably try a reinstall from Recovery, mainly because I'm lazy and don't want to deal with restoring everything on my machine with a Time Machine or clean install.

Kahakapao

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2007
Just another update to confirm that the shut down while sleeping issue has not returned after two days and dozens of sleep/wake cycles to a 2020 MacBook Air after installing Security Update 2022-002 Catalina on top of an install suffering from the effects of Security Update 2022-001 Catalina.

UPDATE: After two days and dozens of successful sleep/wake cycles, had my first unexpected shut down while sleeping just after this post; sorry guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew73875

smunro

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2022
Just another update to confirm that the shut down while sleeping issue has not returned after two days and dozens of sleep/wake cycles to a 2020 MacBook Air after installing Security Update 2022-002 Catalina on top of an install suffering from the effects of Security Update 2022-001 Catalina.

UPDATE: After two days and dozens of successful sleep/wake cycles, had my first unexpected shut down while sleeping just after this post; sorry guys.
Sorry, you thought you had it licked, didn't you? :) Yeah, this is another weird thing about this issue. It's intermittent. Sometimes my machine will go hours before doing it (or not doing it--sometimes it stays asleep the way it's supposed to), other times, it shuts down in now time at all.

Somebody who knows what he's talking about suggested that, given that behavior, it might be a hardware issue. But I ran Diagnostics to rule that out, and it found nothing.

Andrew73875

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
Somebody who knows what he's talking about suggested that, given that behavior, it might be a hardware issue. But I ran Diagnostics to rule that out, and it found nothing.
I've been told that too. But we can't all have a hardware issue all of a sudden. And also the fact that reinstallation helps completely rules it out.

Sometimes my machine will go hours before doing it (or not doing it--sometimes it stays asleep the way it's supposed to), other times, it shuts down in now time at all.

Reminds me of this

Twovr

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2022

So the common thread here suggests that if a rollback using Time Machine to a pre-Security Update 2022-001 system isn't possible, a clean reinstall may be required to quash the reboot on sleep bug.
Sorry, you thought you had it licked, didn't you? :) Yeah, this is another weird thing about this issue. It's intermittent. Sometimes my machine will go hours before doing it (or not doing it--sometimes it stays asleep the way it's supposed to), other times, it shuts down in now time at all.

Hardware could be a factor. I'm seeing MacBook Air 2020 popping up in the thread. Maybe 2020s don't play well with Update 2022-001? Were it not limited to certain users, you'd think the bug would be all over every Mac forum.

Last edited:

Andrew73875

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
This is a good idea. I will post a vote here, so we can see which Macs experience this issue the most. Probably it doesn't really matter, but who knows.

Were it not limited to certain users, you'd think the bug would be all over every Mac forum.

I think there are not that many Catalina users. I've noticed that many don't really like it. Some people downgraded to Mojave and others upgraded to Big Sur and Monterey.

And some people just don't read Macrumors and probably think there's something wrong with their laptop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kernel Panicuser
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.