Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Mac are you using (if you are experiencing reboots)

• MacBook Pro

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • MacBook Air

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • iMac

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • iMac Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mac Pro

• Mac mini

• Total voters

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
This is a good idea. I will post a vote here, so we can see which Macs experience this issue the most. Probably it doesn't really matter, but who knows.

I think there are not that many Catalina users. I've noticed that many don't really like it. Some people downgraded to Mojave and others upgraded to Big Sur and Monterey.

And some people just don't read Macrumors and probably think there's something wrong with their laptop.

I have an Intel 2020 MBA. I had the crash on sleep problem (+ videos not playing in Safari + weird CPU usage). I did all the updates and the problem continued. I then installed Big Sur using the full download installer, which I think was 11.6. 2 and an earlier version of Safari. That seemed stable (videos worked, didn't reboot). Then I upgraded to 11.6.3 and 11.6.4 and in each case the problems returned. I'm considering trying Monterey now...

Could there be something about the Catalina update that somehow survived the system update to Big Sur? Or could it be something about the 2020 MBA?

Reactions: jent and Kahakapao

RosarioAgroo

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2022
I use mbp2020, noticed that reboot goes when iphone is connected to it, on battery or plugged, doesn't matter

Kahakapao

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2007
Hi All, One final note: Installing Security Update 2022-002 Catalina on top of a system suffering from the shutdown bug caused by Security Update 2022-001 Catalina definitely reduced the number of incidents drastically; only experienced 2 over the course of several days (rather than multiple times per day as before). Ultimately bit the bullet and upgraded to Monterey; no such incidents since.

Reactions: Andrew73875

Andrew73875

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
Hi All, One final note: Installing Security Update 2022-002 Catalina on top of a system suffering from the shutdown bug caused by Security Update 2022-001 Catalina definitely reduced the number of incidents drastically; only experienced 2 over the course of several days (rather than multiple times per day as before). Ultimately bit the bullet and upgraded to Monterey; no such incidents since.
Great! By the way, how's trackpad behaviour on Monterey?

smunro

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2022
I've been hoping that was the case. I reinstalled Catalina, have been using it without installing 2022-002 to make sure it was stable. I planned to install 2022-003 in another couple of days to see if it had solved the problem, so glad to hear that it seems to have.

Reactions: Andrew73875

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
I have noticed that something called 'syspolicyd' has started using huge amounts of CPU and getting the fans going, when I all I'm doing is (e.g.) viewing Macrumors in one safari tab. I don't know if this is related or some other weird issue. I'm scared to run updates on my iMac (my main computer) now, in case it also develops these weird bugs. Very frustrating.
I'm replying to myself because I've now resolved my problem with syspolicyd on my Macbook Air (intel), and I hope that anyone else who has the same problem might find the solution helpful.

I ended up upgrading to Monterey, but still my problem continued, namely syspolicyd running at about 100% every few minutes, no matter what I was doing. It was draining the battery very fast and making the laptop uncomfortably hot to use.

Eventually, I found on the web the terminal command to use to see what syspolicyd is scanning: sudo lsof -c syspolicyd

By running the command a few times, I was able to figure out that syspolicyd was repeatedly scanning (or whatever it is that it does) the 12GB Monterey full installer, which was still in my Applications folder.

I don't know *why* it was doing that, but deleting the installer resolved the problem. I haven't seen any crazy CPU spikes/blasting fans since.

iTundra

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Monterey did not help mine. Currently on 12.3 (MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7)) and reboots happen with every sleep. No problems with this prior to about January 2022 so it does seem like a software issue though it could possibly be hardware that just coincidentally happened at the same time as others.

Driving me nuts and the thought of sending in for repair and not having my laptop for a period is not pleasant.

hs601

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2022
Unfortunately, I'm back here. I thought the issue has gone by upgrading to Monterey. But I'm facing similar issue almost every day. If it is unlucky, system goes shutdown and needs reboot. There is no crash report available. It it bit lucky, it recover from hibernation (the battery doesn't go so low but somehow it goes hibernation). My HW is MBP2020 with all latest patches have been applied. I should try to leave the machine disconnecting USB devices includes iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.