Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
If you are unfortunate to have to deal with windows in a consistent basis, you would know that almost all anti-virus programs has: scheduled daily scans. The computer slows down noticeably when that happens
But you schedule those for 3am, so you're never bothered by them :)

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
AV cycles are such a non-issue if you use the right software (or modern processors) that they don't bear consideration for most users. The main advantage the Macbook offers in this department is that you don't need any AV software for the OS X side. If I went back to Windows, though, it would literally be a 5-minute affair to set up AVG, and from there, I'd spend as much time thinking about AV on XP as I do on OS X--none whatsoever.

delphi ote

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008

forafireescape

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
NJ

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I know I'm probably going to get tempbanned for this, but this guy is so full of lies I have to straighten some things out.

You know why nobody writes viruses for OS X? Because nobody cares. It's not worth it.

When I got my MacBook I had to spend several hours removing all the crap Apple junked in there; I removed over 6GB of rubbish. Buy a PC from a decent company & it'll be more streamlined than any Mac.

It's frickin' useless for coding.

OS X was about a decade late in introducing that feature.

Frontrow has nothing on Windows MCE.

Not everybody is as dumb as you. Also, in my personal experience, I have never had a problem with Microsoft's call centres, whereas Apple's call centres have lied to me & insulted me.

Why do you Windows users come to a Mac forum for? I mean really what for?? I understand that it gets pretty boring discussing Windows on their forums but to come here? What are getting out of this forum more than wreaking havoc.

Now to reply to your most idiotic comments. The most idiotic one of all is totally laughable. Nobody wants to write viruses for OS X huh? Well IMHO that's a deal maker for the OP. Why would anyone prefer to buy a system with an OS that virus writers prefer to write viruses for? That's the deal breaker!! Having no one bother to write viruses for Macs is a Deal Maker. Dude your point was really dumb there. :p

Um 6GB of rubbish preinstalled on Macs? If you're talking about the iLife suite I can't count how many posters on MR that are Windows users that keep wishing Apple would port their proprietary software over Windows, it ain't gonna happen! :D

Windows Media Center is dying an early death. It is actually a very good media center and the only reason that it eats Apple's Front Row for lunch because it's been out for 3 years ahead of Front Row, It should be better but as I said with the invention of AppleTV, TIVO and even the Xbox, WMC is dying an early death, nobody uses it, it's just a novelty. Your point is moot.

Funny how you tried to talk ish about Apple customer support. I wonder why Consumer Reports rates Apple's service above the rest including Dell? CR did say Dell's service was borderlining K-Mart quality. So why did CR say Apple was tops? well, it might be because Apple IS BETTER so you're fulla BS.:D

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I will agree with the resale value part. That is with any PC. However I tend to disagree with you on the Dell quality aspects. It's my first Dell so I can't speak to longevity. I have had several Macs and as I said in my prior post I do like them, but for portability and flexibility and what the machine comes with, I don't see how you can say the machine I got was over priced or as you stated a rip-off. Also considering you will never give a PC a copmplement just because you prefer mac.

Show me anywhere that I said "Rip Off". If you are trying to ad lib my words then what I actually said must have offended you. Oh well. Also I did give a PC a complement, " I said and I quote, "I was at Best Buy just last weekend and saw the new XPS 1330 and 1530's and at first sight they looked nice"

My opinion was different after I touched the machine so I call them as I see them, sorry if can't handle that. :p

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
He's right actually. AntiVirus takes up a lot of processing power, particularly with things like video and games.

Before dual core processors, about 40% of your processing power was going towards Windows' built in real-time scanning provisions. Windows compensates for this in the task manager so you don't notice any difference (other than a loss of performance).

Wow, it's amazing what kind of crap people will believe!

That statement could not even be farther from the truth.

IF you have anti-virus (and you don't need it as long as you don't visit shady sites or run suspicious software), real-time scanning would add an extra 1-2% of CPU time for opening that file. The only time you have any REAL performance loss is when you do a full drive scan.

Seriously, this kind of stuff is pure FUD. It's absolutely untrue and when Mac fans use it as an argument against Windows, it makes ALL of us who own Macs look like fools. So quit with this nonsense so those of us who do have common sense do not look as foolish as those who fall for these kinds of lies.

You show your ignorance. A properly configured anti-malware program will scan all things real-time, including files, web pages, etc. Just because today's CPUs are blazing does not mean they don't get wasted on things like this. Calling me a "fanboy" does not change the truth.

I should also add that I don't know that it takes up that much processing power, but the fact is, it takes some processing power. Watch a program like Avast constantly scan as you're simply surfing the web. You may never notice the hit on a current processor (solo, duo, or quad), but the small hit is there. So yes, the same processor in a Mac will be slightly more "efficient," since none of its threads are wasted scanning every little thing you do.

Actually, you show your ignorance. I run Windows on my HP and Mac without any anti-virus or anti-spyware software. How do I get along safe? Well, I don't visit shady websites and I don't install any software. IE7 and FF warn me about any software that wants to install and I can choose whether or not to install it. But the great thing is, I don't visit any sites that would be potentially harmful (why would I visit those sites anyway?) so I don't even have to begin to worry about these kinds of things. Outlook in XP and Windows Mail in Vista do NOT autorun attachments, plus most people use webmail these days and Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. all do virus scanning on the fly.

So as long as you don't do anything that you probably shouldn't be to begin with, you'll be just fine.

Also, run benchmark on the computers. Same computer, same processors, same ram, same harddrive, running windows xp scored only 85% as the running under OS X. [geekbench]

Is there any other proof besides one synthetic benchmark? Because I see software like Handbrake, DVD playing apps, and games ALL running faster on my Santa Rosa based 2GHz Core 2 Duo than they run on my 2.16GHz MacBook. Obviously the games run faster for other reasons :rolleyes:

Windows Media Center is dying an early death. It is actually a very good media center and the only reason that it eats Apple's Front Row for lunch because it's been out for 3 years ahead of Front Row, It should be better but as I said with the invention of AppleTV, TIVO and even the Xbox, WMC is dying an early death, nobody uses it, it's just a novelty. Your point is moot.

rofl, nobody uses Windows Media Center? You can't be serious with that ridiculous comment. Head over to AVS. Theres about half a million people there who disagree with you. Most people use Windows Media Center, especially with Vista. WMC makes it easy to pop a TV tuner in and be up and recording TV from any source, satellite and digital cable included, in a matter of minutes.

Windows Media Center is far more capable, and much better looking, than Front Row ever is and ever will be.

For those with notebooks, especially those sold within the last year, they can pop in an ExpressCard TV tuner, record their favorite TV shows either in high def from over the air signals or from their DirecTV or cable box, and they can simply plug an HDMI cable into their notebook and hook it up to their HDTV.

Windows Media Center also makes it easy to stream media to your Xbox360. Recorded TV, etc all get streamed easier.

Media Center is here to stay and offers much more functionality and (in the case of DVD and HD DVD/blu-ray playback) much more quality.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Why do you Windows users come to a Mac forum for? I mean really what for?? I understand that it gets pretty boring discussing Windows on their forums but to come here? What are getting out of this forum more than wreaking havoc.
1.) Look at my sig jackass, I own a MacBook.
2.) I'm not 'a Windows user'; I spend >85% of my time in Linux, maybe 14% of my time in OS X & the remaining 1% in Windows (maybe once a month or so when I need to natively run a Windows app).

Nobody wants to write viruses for OS X huh? Well IMHO that's a deal maker for the OP. Why would anyone prefer to buy a system with an OS that virus writers prefer to write viruses for? That's the deal breaker!! Having no one bother to write viruses for Macs is a Deal Maker. Dude your point was really dumb there. :p
No, you are 'really dumb' for not reading more into my point. The reason that nobody bothers to write virueses for OS X isn't because it's better, isn't because it's more secure, it's because the user base is too small. What's the point in writing a virus that can only ever hope to infect 6% of the market? What you failed to appreciate is what this also says about OS X & it's user base; it's not juse the virus writers that don't care, it's the general public - the consumers. If Macs & OS X are so great, why do they only hold such a pathetically small market share? And it's not just virus writers that don't care, just look at the number of software houses that don't care about OS X; games are the most obvious area but there are many others in addition. You should also appreciate that, a point raised in a recent post, if OS X ever does increase it's market share to a substantial percentile, then the viruses will come; OS X isn't immune to viruses, there's just no point writing them yet.

Um 6GB of rubbish preinstalled on Macs?
I'm talking about the multiple gigs worth of printer drivers, multiple gigs worth of translations even though I bought from an English store, multiple gigs worth of GarageBand loops, multiple gigs worth of PPC code even though I bought a C2D machine, etc. All of what I removed should have been left on the install DVD as extras that could be installed by the user if & when they are required, except for the PPC code which should never be there.

If you're talking about the iLife suite I can't count how many posters on MR that are Windows users that keep wishing Apple would port their proprietary software over Windows, it ain't gonna happen! :D
That's pretty much the only reason Apple turns a profit. If they allowed their software & OS to be run on any platform, nobody would buy their overpriced hardware & they would probably go bust.

Windows Media Center is dying an early death... ...and even the Xbox... ...nobody uses it, it's just a novelty.
You've got to be kidding; try doing some research before speaking out you ass. Oh & remind me again who makes the Xbox?

Funny how you tried to talk ish about Apple customer support. I wonder why Consumer Reports rates Apple's service above the rest including Dell?
I don't give a flying f*** about what 'CR' says, I base my opinions upon my own experiences, as should everybody else. You've probably read my story before, but Apple took 2 entire weeks to deliver me a faulty laptop then refused to send a technician or courier & forced me to take 2 days out of my time to travel 500+ miles (costing my £35+ in train tickets) to visit my 'local' Apple store where they took a full 2 weeks to repair it & didn't offer me a replacement for that time. I have NEVER had such God awful service from ANY company before or again. OTOH when my friend came to me for help with his Dell, they sent a technician round the very next day at 9am sharp & he had it fixed in under an hour.

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
I do think that is a bit of a silly question. What i have been mainly reading in this thread is open debate and i think that is a good thing and maybe you cannot handle that.
I have owned a few Macs in the past. Are you a switcher do you even own a Mac yet?
Anyway i am interested in Mac hardware still (and interested about future product launches) even though i don't own a Mac right now. I don't hold a real bias to any side i just speak things as i see them.

tuxtpenguin

macrumors regular
May 19, 2007
TX
I've had good Dells and bad Dells in the past. I haven't had any troule with my Mac laptop yet. (Knock on wood).

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
I do think that is a bit of a silly question. What i have been mainly reading in this thread is open debate and i think that is a good thing and maybe you cannot handle that.
I have owned a few Macs in the past. Are you a switcher do you even own a Mac yet?
If you're referring to me, then like I said yes I do own a MacBook. It is my first Mac & will also be my last Mac. Also IMHO 'switching' completely from one OS to another is a rather silly thing to do; taking the best from each OS is the best thing you can do & is what I do. I run OS X, Vista, Archlinux & FreeBSD. All have their benefits, all have their drawbacks; but, for me at least, Linux & the associated hardware has many more benefits & many fewer drawbacks than OS X & it's associated hardware.

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
Hi no i was not referring to you i was referring to the forum member who i quoted.
If you're referring to me, then like I said yes I do own a MacBook. It is my first Mac & will also be my last Mac. Also IMHO 'switching' completely from one OS to another is a rather silly thing to do; taking the best from each OS is the best thing you can do & is what I do. I run OS X, Vista, Archlinux & FreeBSD. All have their benefits, all have their drawbacks; but, for me at least, Linux & the associated hardware has many more benefits & many fewer drawbacks than OS X & it's associated hardware.

delphi ote

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
But I think it's pretty safe to say that they're safer than PCs in this aspect...
It's precisely this mentality that makes them an attractive target, though. Someone could stick a root kit on your box and count on the fact that you'll never even bother to look for it. They probably won't be able to string together much of a bot net out of macs only, but hiding a key logger on a box someone thinks is invincible would be fruitful (especially considering the credit limit of the typical Mac user!)

Macsleuth

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Clowns

My god you guys get excited in here over nothing!
People speculate over when new/refreshed product is going to be released and people lose it.
LOL
I make a pretty good (excellent), living fixing PC/networks for companys.
I use Apple producs at home because I don't have the time to be fixing my own stuff too.
I like to tell people who ask. Apple is like the Lexus of Computers and PC, is like the Ford/Chevy/Chrysler/etc.
95% of market (roughly) drives PC. The rest of us drive a small variety of hi-end compuers, Mac, Linux etc. (the lexus, BMW and Mercedes).
You certainly don't see everyone driving those.
Nothing wrong with filling the masses.
I prefer it that way and hope it stays like this a long time.
This should open up the clowns for some blasts my way.
LOL
Seriouly, settle down.
We can argue both ways till the cows come home.
In the end, makes no difference.
Guys who like to tinker and play games on the systems will use pc.
(have my own PC gaming system).
Guys who can afford all the consoles that are out there and would rather tinker on $50K muscle cars, well we use Apples.
LOL
Flame on!
Gary

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
That's pretty much the only reason Apple turns a profit. If they allowed their software & OS to be run on any platform, nobody would buy their overpriced hardware & they would probably go bust.

Thats basically it.

But even OS X isn't enough for most people to overcome the price.

Last night I was helping my friend pick out a new PC. For $950 she has a Turion64 X2 2.1GHz (almost on par with a 2GHz C2D), 3GB of RAM, 250GB HDD, 256MB GeForce 8400M GS, DVD writer, HDMI output, etc. She sacrificed a little on processor speed but made up for it with a decent GPU for the price, very good amount of RAM and a nice large HDD.

Now why should she pass up on that and spend $1400 on a MacBook that comes with a 120GB HDD, 1GB of RAM, and a pathetic GPU? As well as a screen that is 2" smaller.

I look at how much my MacBook cost and realize that I did get ripped off. $1400 for 1GB of RAM and the lowest end GPU out there (both the GMA 950 and X3100 are on equal grounds in real world performance)? What the hell was I thinking?

Sure, OS X is nice. But Windows and OS X do the same things, just differently. The hardware in the PC is much more capable and flexible and most of the parts are user replaceable.

I'm sure glad I have a system thats very similar to what she bought or else I'd be extremely jealous.

Apple really needs to get their prices in line, or else this new found popularity they have will not last.

The iPods and iPhone are all great. But their computers are terribly over priced.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
Thats basically it.

Last night I was helping my friend pick out a new PC. For $950 she has a Turion64 X2 2.1GHz (almost on par with a 2GHz C2D), 3GB of RAM, 250GB HDD, 256MB GeForce 8400M GS, DVD writer, HDMI output, etc. She sacrificed a little on processor speed but made up for it with a decent GPU for the price, very good amount of RAM and a nice large HDD.

Now why should she pass up on that and spend $1400 on a MacBook that comes with a 120GB HDD, 1GB of RAM, and a pathetic GPU? As well as a screen that is 2" smaller.

I look at how much my MacBook cost and realize that I did get ripped off. $1400 for 1GB of RAM and the lowest end GPU out there (both the GMA 950 and X3100 are on equal grounds in real world performance)? What the hell was I thinking?

Sure, OS X is nice. But Windows and OS X do the same things, just differently. The hardware in the PC is much more capable and flexible and most of the parts are user replaceable.

I'm sure glad I have a system thats very similar to what she bought or else I'd be extremely jealous.

Apple really needs to get their prices in line, or else this new found popularity they have will not last.

The iPods and iPhone are all great. But their computers are terribly over priced.

+1

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Apple is like the Lexus of Computers and PC, is like the Ford/Chevy/Chrysler/etc.
95% of market (roughly) drives PC. The rest of us drive a small variety of hi-end compuers, Mac, Linux etc. (the lexus, BMW and Mercedes).
I see 2 glaring problems with this analogy;

1.) your Lexus will have a better engine, transmission, steering, etc. than your Ford/Chevy/Chrysler. However your Mac has exactly the same CPU, RAM, hard drive, etc. as your (cheaper) PC.

2.) Linux & Windows computers are exactly the same thing.

Maagus

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Czech republic

Different people = different needs ? Maybe that is the reason ;) ? For example I don't want bigger notebook than 13.3, I want notebook that last 5 - 6 hours on standard battery (I don't want battery that is bigger than the bay because it is difficult to carry in the bag).
So I look at my Macbook and realize how good buy it has been.

stevenfarrisohi

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
Consumer Mediocrity

As consumers we are becoming more content with mediocrity in our service and product array. PC vendors - Including Apple and their ridiculous RAM prices - Need to hear from us!!!

XPS vs. MBP -
This is recent feedback from a consumer that recently bought a Dell XPS - This person gave Dell an outstanding rating???!???!???!???

I ended up with two of these because the first one shipped with the wrong screen. The first one came with a perfect fit and finish, however the fingerprint scanner worked less than 50% of the time. The volume controls are touch sensitive by design, and seemed to not be sensitive enough (causing me to mash the buttons multiple times just to get the machine to recognize the fact that I was trying to adjust the volume). On the second machine the volume controls were much more sensitive, and the fingerprint scanner worked flawlessly, however the fit and finish were horrible. The hinges creak and make a grinding noise when opening and closing the screen, and the plastic across the top of the keyboard (above the F keys) was warped. Mind you, I'd much prefer a machine that works over one that looks good, but it left me wondering why I cant have both.
All in all, I'm very happy with the machine. I'm an avid gamer, and the 256 meg Nvidia card handles everything I throw at it wonderfully. It's slim and sleek, and the red exterior is sexy as heck.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
This thread is still going, I see. I monitored it for a while, but left off. Now I'm back.

My wife was recently given a XPS 1530 for business use, while our MBP now remains at home. Hands down, both of us prefer the MacBook Pro.

The MBP is physically more user-friendly. (Stray button presses, awkward positioning of mouse/buttons on XPS).
Overall, OS X is superior software. (I've been using XP for 5+ years, and believe this).

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA

Not everyone considers price the primary factor when buying certain things.

What's most annoying is the pernicious thinking that "You don't do things the way I do things, therefore you're wrong!"

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Different people = different needs ? Maybe that is the reason ;) ? For example I don't want bigger notebook than 13.3, I want notebook that last 5 - 6 hours on standard battery (I don't want battery that is bigger than the bay because it is difficult to carry in the bag).
So I look at my Macbook and realize how good buy it has been.
You've got some serious delusions; the MacBook doesn't last 5 hours let alone 6, even if you leave it idling on the lowest backlight with no wifi.

Also, "different people = different needs" is not an excuse to pay more for inferior hardware. If you don't need a powerful graphics card, then you buy a laptop without a powerful graphics card & you save money over the similar model with the powerful graphics card. However with the MacBook you pay more to get a machine without the powerful graphics card!

Maagus

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Czech republic
You've got some serious delusions; the MacBook doesn't last 5 hours let alone 6, even if you leave it idling on the lowest backlight with no wifi.

Also, "different people = different needs" is not an excuse to pay more for inferior hardware. If you don't need a powerful graphics card, then you buy a laptop without a powerful graphics card & you save money over the similar model with the powerful graphics card. However with the MacBook you pay more to get a machine without the powerful graphics card!

Oh, my experience must be wrong then :) Wifi on, internet browsing and word typing, backlight between 1/4 and 1/2, time on battery : around 5:40 hours. Battery is only couple of cycles old.
I did some serious market research before buying Macbook. There was no cheaper laptop suitable for my needs. Dell XPS M1330 (which has been the only closest competitor) is more expensive at the same spec than middle Macbook in my country. Would you be so kind and show me 13.3 notebook with slot-in, bluetooth, magnetic latch (mechanic latch often breaks, I have worked in IBM and Dell repair center), standard battery life 4+ hours that is cheaper than 1299 USD and is built by some at least mediocre brand (ie. no Acer, MSI, UMAX, VBI) ?

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Actually, you show your ignorance. I run Windows on my HP and Mac without any anti-virus or anti-spyware software. How do I get along safe? Well, I don't visit shady websites and I don't install any software. IE7 and FF warn me about any software that wants to install and I can choose whether or not to install it. But the great thing is, I don't visit any sites that would be potentially harmful (why would I visit those sites anyway?) so I don't even have to begin to worry about these kinds of things. Outlook in XP and Windows Mail in Vista do NOT autorun attachments, plus most people use webmail these days and Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. all do virus scanning on the fly.

Ok, so don't go to shady sites and don't install anything. Thanks for the lesson.
Now, off to the real world. People DO visit shady sites on PCs and Macs and they do download and install stuff. The difference is, on the PC, you will have every STD on the planet. Some might even install themselves behind the scenes.
On the Mac, you MIGHT get a trojan if you download and provide admin info to do the install.
YOU can surf the PC safely. A lot of people on this site can surf the PC safely. However, in the real world, the same people bring me their re-infected PCs.

Common Sense on a PC = probably not infected
Common Sense on a Mac = definitely not infected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.