Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
What are serial numbers 1st, 4th and 5th character in your three units? Was it CYQ?

I'm afraid there is not much choice on manufacturing country, they are all made in China but there are at least Foxconn and Quanta made units. Not sure how common those Foxconn made are since most what I have seen have serial beginning with C, but I had myself Foxconn made Air 2018 briefly (but it had stale battery too, probably from long time sitting in warehouse. I thought it was safe move to buy a machine that has been introduced officially just few days ago to get good battery guaranteed. Oh boy how wrong I was :( ).

Last edited:

leoshaun

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2019
Just received it today, haven't gotten to check it yet. If this does cut out, I'm going to request another macbook from a totally different manufacturing country hopefully, using the serial numbers.
ive managed to locate the serial number of my 1st macbook and it also was CYQ (1st,4th,5th character), which was the same as the 2nd. Interesting to see if its just that batch that is faulty

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
It could be. I also think my local shop that briefly had demo unit was CYQ (until they have to send it to service or something). I tried to seek local shop that would have entry Pro display model to do tests to see if battery dips in those but no luck finding one.

Our both current units are few weeks newer, and knocking on wood but I haven't experienced shut downs yet. Just these dips under high load and once it lost 10% battery overnight turned off, which was odd (normal is just well under 1%). Obviously run times seem lower than on prime custom build unit but there are lot of variables estimating that.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
ive managed to locate the serial number of my 1st macbook and it also was CYQ (1st,4th,5th character), which was the same as the 2nd. Interesting to see if its just that batch that is faulty

Is your third one working OK? Is that the one with CYV?

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I used my third one, now cuts out at 20%, better than before. Going to keep this for a while and see if it improves.

Why would you hold on to a machine with what looks like a defective battery? Is it always predictable? Maybe you could make a video and show it to the store.

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
Why would you hold on to a machine with what looks like a defective battery? Is it always predictable? Maybe you could make a video and show it to the store.

I'm going to keep it within my 14 day return period. I'm going to try reset SMC, then discharge from 100%->20% twice. Then i'll see if it calibrates it. I already made a video to show apple.

Reactions: ghanwani

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Will check the manufacture date later but in terms of dropping under load, i've gone to the apple store to show first hand that it does shut down at a specific percentage. I charged to a 100% and then to discharge as fast as possible, I opened a bunch of grapher 3-d renders, max brightness, used the yes>null dev command in terminal to run all my cores, max brightness etc, It went from 100-35% within 30 min.
I totally missed this post earlier. So you have ran load tests also. Did you check what battery Full Charge Capacity showed during that test?
I don't mean actual battery capacity but Full Charge Capacity.

Did your current machine you have now come with SMP or DSY battery? It shows that in CoconutBattery when you click battery info button. It also tells battery manufacturing date and Full Charge Capacity.

Have you tried running this Cinebench test procedure ever?

Last edited:

leoshaun

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2019
I used my third one, now cuts out at 20%, better than before. Going to keep this for a while and see if it improves.
Can you report on serial number for all 3 of your models or just your current one if you dont have the previous ones.
Just the 1st, 4th and 5th character?

Interesting to see if it was the same as my faulty ones
[doublepost=1565212659][/doublepost]
Is your third one working OK? Is that the one with CYV?
My 3rd one is CYV. It seems to be fine, it got to 17% and then i charged it. Might let it go lower just to test.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I also let mine again go under 20% today. I even ran Cinebench test just little over 20% battery left and it went even around 18% during high load. Only thing that Full Charge Capacity dips quite a bit...

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
First one
CYR

Second
CYR

3rd
CZ1

3rd macbook being produced in the second half of the year seems to be better, shutting down at 22%

Starting to think i'm very unlucky or very common among all 13" mbp with touchbar 2 TBT ports

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
First one
3rd
CZ1
Damn. Here goes my assumption second half 2019 units being guaranteed better.

Please report your unit battery manufacturer? Ot is likely DSY or SMP/Simplo.

You can check it with Coconutbattery or directly from system info (hold option and click upper left apple logo, select first menu item on pulldown menu and there under power is all the informatiion about battery).
[doublepost=1565218751][/doublepost]
Starting to think i'm very unlucky or very common among all 13" mbp with touchbar 2 TBT ports
Are you doing something particular when it happens or is it completely random?

Last edited:

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
3rd macbook being produced in the second half of the year seems to be better, shutting down at 22%

This is worrisome. I'm wondering if a lot of folks don't even notice this, because by default, the battery doesn't show the %, and many people may not even be running it that low.

The 4TB model I had definitely did not have this issue. I used to routinely run it down to 5% and on occasion even lower. I use the machine 100% of the time on battery, kind of the way I use my phone.

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
Damn. Here goes my assumption second half 2019 units being guaranteed better.

Please report your unit battery manufacturer? Ot is likely DSY or SMP/Simplo.

You can check it with Coconutbattery or directly from system info (hold option and click upper left apple logo, select first menu item on pulldown menu and there under power is all the informatiion about battery).
[doublepost=1565218751][/doublepost]
Are you doing something particular when it happens or is it completely random?

Battery Manufacturer for all 3 has been Simple.
It's completely predictable (any task like streaming Netflix or youtube) right at 22%.

leoshaun

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2019
It's completely predictable (any task like streaming Netflix or youtube) right at 22%.
I find it odd not many people are reporting on this but has happened to multiple macbooks for us.
Make sure to get it exchanged.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
it
First one
CYR

Second
CYR

3rd
CZ1

its highly likely to be a batch issue. otherwise more people would have commented

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Could you please report some Full Charge Capacity readings when machine under high load?

I think it is battery dipping suddenly under load when capacity is low causing that.
Find a battery without FCC dips under load or the one where they are very small, and it is likely not happening, I think.
[doublepost=1565256831][/doublepost]
it

its highly likely to be a batch issue. otherwise more people would have commented
Based on the serials the spread is so "wide" it is hard to believe it is just that.

Last edited:

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
Could you please report some Full Charge Capacity readings when machine under high load?

I think it is battery dipping suddenly under load when capacity is low causing that.
Find a battery without FCC dips under load or the one where they are very small, and it is likely not happening, I think.
[doublepost=1565256831][/doublepost]
Based on the serials the spread is so "wide" it is hard to believe it is just that.
we can't really be sure because people who often have problems come onto the forums and the rest enjoy the macine with out posting any review if u know what i mean

jgorman

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
Maybe people who experienced this just returned the machine for a refund or a replacement.

When one of my keys got stuck, I went and got a refund.

Troubleshooting the machine is Apple's responsibility, not ours.

Reactions: macjunk(ie)

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
we can't really be sure because people who often have problems come onto the forums and the rest enjoy the macine with out posting any review if u know what i mean
Yeah, I know. I was referring to that it is not very likely just a defective batch since there is some big difference between manufacturing date (many weeks apart if you count from CYQ to CZ1).

Also it is even more confusing when someone has gotten three machines in a row with this issue and especially when this person reported having the same problem with CYR and CZ1 date code machines.

Last edited:

alias99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
First one
CYR

Second
CYR

3rd
CZ1

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
My 3rd one: fter smc reset, first discharge from 100% it died out at 13%.

Currently performing second discharge from 100%->? Will update later.

In terms of full charge capacity reading, coconut battery shows 5115 mAh then 4590 mAh amd now back to 5138 mAh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.