Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
Could be, or maybe machine simply counts out that cut out percentage, like if it used to cut at 20% it now counts old 100 to 20 area as 100 to 0, so 20% capacity lost practically. That would match well to what I see with charge cycles increasing every about 80% of real use!

But hey, just for fun try that Cinebench test cycle I posted info above my previous message. Would be interesting to see how steep dips are in your unit? I bet they are rather deep due to this fact.

I guess but wouldn't the full designed capacity from 5110 mAh to 0 mAh (assuming its 100%-0%) compensate for that cut out?

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
No, because if it used to cut at 20% then roughly 1000mAh is lost if it make meter show in area 5103mAh-1000mAh as 100%-0%, explained a bit complicated way I guess. I still think that meter will just compensate the capacity loss, that I guess the whole calibration cycle is for, to make meter compensate as battery loses its capacity when aging. That's why I really don't think one should need to caiibrate brand new machine...

Just try to Cinebench load test and you'll see how badly it dips under load.

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
No, because if it used to cut at 20% then roughly 1000mAh is lost if it make meter show in area 5103mAh-1000mAh as 100%-0%, explained a bit complicated way I guess. I still think that meter will just compensate the capacity loss, that I guess the whole calibration cycle is for, to make meter compensate as battery loses its capacity when aging. That's why I really don't think one should need to caiibrate brand new machine...

Just try to Cinebench load test and you'll see how badly it dips under load.

Will try cinebench later. So you are saying mbp that cut out at 45% is essentially missing half its battery? So 100%->0% is 5100 mAh-2500 mAh?

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Hard to say for sure but that's what calibration cycle purpose is for...
Also it is odd in my opinion that charge cycle count increases every 80% real use in my unit but based on run times I'd say may be so.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Those who have issues with battery in Entry MBP 2019 model, do you also see Charge Cycle count increasing too fast?

Also it would be interesting to hear from those who do not have battery issues (shutting down when under 30% or battery dipping under load) do you see Charge Cycle issue?

Anyone can confirm that their unit really works so that you get to use battery total 100% until Charge Cycle increase?
There is very simply explained how it should work.
https://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

Please report too which brand battery is inside your unit?
It is likely either SMP/Simplo or DSY/Desay. Based on what peoples here have commented so far the latter one seems superior.

What kind of running times you get with your Entry MBP 2019?
How many percentage battery drop in 1 hour use?
Or how many hours use you get with certain battery percentage drop?
(Please notice that when battery is full 100% charged, it takes longer until it drop the first time, so in the first 100% to 95%% battery you get more run time than from 95% to 85% or so.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018

Hercaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2019
Just went through two MBPs 13 8/256. First one would shut down at 25%, second at 39%. Apple store I was dealing with refused to give me a third one and offered either to leave my MBP for repair or return for refund, while at the same time not acknowledging that there’s any problem with the new MBP 13 and kept saying I am the first one with this odd issue.

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Have had my 1.4/8/256 for 4 hours. Let it run on batt from the start and it shut down at 45%. Original cap of 5200 mah, now showing 0% and 2879 mah as it's charging. Mine is a 99 day old Simplo battery.

What. the. ****.

aurorahd

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2019
Just went through two MBPs 13 8/256. First one would shut down at 25%, second at 39%. Apple store I was dealing with refused to give me a third one and offered either to leave my MBP for repair or return for refund, while at the same time not acknowledging that there’s any problem with the new MBP 13 and kept saying I am the first one with this odd issue.
Just return for refund and buy another one later in September before the school deal ends.

Ajoite

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2019
On a 1.4 here and no battery issues so far. It shut down at 0%. I do feel the laptop gets very hot under load though.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
On a 1.4 here and no battery issues so far. It shut down at 0%. I do feel the laptop gets very hot under load though.
It does due to one fan but that is normal as far as I know. I haven't seen any issues even it gets hot (so far). I guess this is not designed for constant very demanding CPU load, but it is very powerful machine for occasional needs for CPU power.

I tested 2.4 model at local shops last week, there was minimal difference in Cinebench results (2.4 was like 1682, mine 1666 1(1.4) at best).

Which brand battery (it is either SMP/Simplo or DSY/Desay) in your unit?
Can you tell your units serial numbers 4th and 5th character?
That just shows manufacturing year and week.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Have had my 1.4/8/256 for 4 hours. Let it run on batt from the start and it shut down at 45%. Original cap of 5200 mah, now showing 0% and 2879 mah as it's charging. Mine is a 99 day old Simplo battery.

What. the. ****.
Do you mean you saw Full Charge Capacity dipping down all the way to 0% or 2879% or what you meant by that?

Can you guys try this and report your findings?

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ttery-or-feature.2191997/page-2#post-27609508

Do you see Charge Cycles increasing too fast in your units?
See this for more information: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/odd-battery-cycle-calculation-in-new-2019-pro-1-4ghz.2191052/
With how many Charge Cycles and battery charge level they came right out of the box?

Please also check your battery brand (either SMP/Simplo or DSY/Desay) Firmware Version, Hardware Revision and Cell Revision.
Here is how to find these: Click upper left corner Apple logo while holding Option key same time, then select first menu item (system info) and under that there is "Power" item where all this is listed.

Also please report your units manufacturing factory and manufacturing week?
This information can be seen in serial number characters, the 1st (it is either F or C), 4th (it is either Y or Z) and 5th (vary from numbers to letters depending on week), so please list these.

Last edited:

leoshaun

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2019
What location are you?
Although my applestore said i was the "first" to report it, they where very sympathetic about the issue. Even after getting my 3rd one they said come back and let us know if the problem still carries on.

However as I knew it cut off around 45% I made sure i went into the applestore with around 48% battery so I could show them myself it cutting off. Maybe try that and show them other people are having the problem.

Demand a replacement as my 3rd one was fine, so not all of them are faulty. Or someone above has posted how they fixed/stopped it from cutting out

Hercaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2019
What location are you?
Although my applestore said i was the "first" to report it, they where very sympathetic about the issue. Even after getting my 3rd one they said come back and let us know if the problem still carries on.

However as I knew it cut off around 45% I made sure i went into the applestore with around 48% battery so I could show them myself it cutting off. Maybe try that and show them other people are having the problem.

Demand a replacement as my 3rd one was fine, so not all of them are faulty. Or someone above has posted how they fixed/stopped it from cutting out
I had the battery behaviour captured on video but guys at genius bar didn’t care enough to bother with watching it. I am in Toronto, Canada. Anyway, didn’t want to argue or make another trip to the store so just returned it.

Reactions: ghanwani

leoshaun

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2019
I had the battery behaviour captured on video but guys at genius bar didn’t care enough to bother with watching it. I am in Toronto, Canada. Anyway, didn’t want to argue or make another trip to the store so just returned it.
They're useless. You going to buy another with the refund or not bother?

Hercaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2019
They're useless. You going to buy another with the refund or not bother?
On the fence whether to throw in more ram to get it custom made with potentially fixed battery or rebuy the 8/256. Don’t really need more ram and leaning towards the latter.

alias99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
Maybe try ordering a custom one with a different keyboard. Not sure if you guys have that option but when I ordered there was 2 options for English keyboards. English (US) and English (International). Both are pretty much the same but maybe if you order English International you will get a custom order and a good battery without having to upgrade any internals at an additional cost.

P.S - I am not in the US or Canada.

Ajoite

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2019
Do you mean you saw Full Charge Capacity dipping down all the way to 0% or 2879% or what you meant by that?

Can you guys try this and report your findings?

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ttery-or-feature.2191997/page-2#post-27609508

See this for more information: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/odd-battery-cycle-calculation-in-new-2019-pro-1-4ghz.2191052/
With how many Charge Cycles and battery charge level they came right out of the box?

Please also check your battery brand (either SMP/Simplo or DSY/Desay) Firmware Version, Hardware Revision and Cell Revision.
Here is how to find these: Click upper left corner Apple logo while holding Option key same time, then select first menu item (system info) and under that there is "Power" item where all this is listed.

This information can be seen in serial number characters, the 1st (it is either F or C), 4th (it is either Y or Z) and 5th (vary from numbers to letters depending on week), so please list these.

Battery is DSY. Charge cycle is at 4 and should be about right but I can keep an eye on it to see. and charge capacity is 5100.

Ajoite

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2019
It does due to one fan but that is normal as far as I know. I haven't seen any issues even it gets hot (so far). I guess this is not designed for constant very demanding CPU load, but it is very powerful machine for occasional needs for CPU power.

I tested 2.4 model at local shops last week, there was minimal difference in Cinebench results (2.4 was like 1682, mine 1666 1(1.4) at best).

I wonder if the 2.4 runs cooler than the 1.4. I wouldn't use it for long intensive processing but it certainly is powerful. The screens look different, this one is fmx. Either way the screen is good, specially regarding colours.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Battery is DSY. Charge cycle is at 4 and should be about right but I can keep an eye on it to see. and charge capacity is 5100.
Please keep an eye on the charge cycles. They increase much faster in my unit than actual 100% use.

Do you mean Full Charge Capacity in your is 5100? So it is not above 5103 Design Charge Capacity?

Do you see FCC fluctuating under high CPU load? I mean high like 40W load (when you run Cinebench) and when battery charge is well under full, like around half full? Even 40W sounds a lot it should not be an issue for the good battery as that load is only equal to about 0.7 C-rate.

I wonder if the 2.4 runs cooler than the 1.4. I wouldn't use it for long intensive processing but it certainly is powerful.
Sure 2.4 runs cooler due to 2 fans and pretty much similar CPU power (in practice I mean). I ran some high CPU load test on 2.4 demo units and they definitely ran cooler, only in the bottom middle parts around Touch Bar was hot (coolers are on each side). I'd say that it better choice if you run much something that need a lot of CPU power. It won't be much faster but it is cooler.

Personally I would not pay that much for the 2.4, but it is better quality parts overall. I did not see a singe 2.4 demo unit that exhibited FCC fluctuations under load but they all had SWD/Sunwoda battery.

The screens look different, this one is fmx. Either way the screen is good, specially regarding colours.
The screens are not the same in 2.4 and 1.4. However they seemed to have similarities like right part (especially lower right) edge is a little bluish while left part is mildly pinkish. Not very obvious, but pixel peepers like me will notice that when they examine it carefully.

Also 2.4 model is more solid built feeling. Keyboard is more silent (not clicky like 1.4) and hollow sounding and much less flexing.

Ajoite

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2019
Please keep an eye on the charge cycles. They increase much faster in my unit than actual 100% use.

Do you mean Full Charge Capacity in your is 5100? So it is not above 5103 Design Charge Capacity?

Do you see FCC fluctuating under high CPU load? I mean high like 40W load (when you run Cinebench) and when battery charge is well under full, like around half full? Even 40W sounds a lot it should not be an issue for the good battery as that load is only equal to about 0.7 C-rate.

Sure 2.4 runs cooler due to 2 fans and pretty much similar CPU power (in practice I mean). I ran some high CPU load test on 2.4 demo units and they definitely ran cooler, only in the bottom middle parts around Touch Bar was hot (coolers are on each side). I'd say that it better choice if you run much something that need a lot of CPU power. It won't be much faster but it is cooler.

Personally I would not pay that much for the 2.4, but it is better quality parts overall. I did not see a singe 2.4 demo unit that exhibited FCC fluctuations under load but they all had SWD/Sunwoda battery.

The screens are not the same in 2.4 and 1.4. However they seemed to have similarities like right part (especially lower right) edge is a little bluish while left part is mildly pinkish. Not very obvious, but pixel peepers like me will notice that when they examine it carefully.

Also 2.4 model is more solid built feeling. Keyboard is more silent (not clicky like 1.4) and hollow sounding and much less flexing.

To me the keyboards sounded exactly the same but I didn't try all the keys. I actually like the keyboard so far coming from a 2012 Air. This macbook doesn't seem to flex under normal use either. I feel this is more solid than the Air but do think the 2.4 has some better quality components which would be normal with a higher price point. I think the 1.4 is decent so far, the screen reveals so much more in photos and the cpu is pretty respectable for a 13 inch laptop. The weak point just being the heat it generates and how the heat can be felt on the lap, keyboard and palm rests. I'm also not sure about the coating on the screen but think it's possible to remove.

Full charge capacity 5103

After two Cinebench runs FCC did not drop and battery was around 74% when I started and ended with 67%.

Last edited:

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007

After it shut off at 45%, I plugged in and it showed 0%. Coconut Battery showed a FCC of 2879 until I charged up to 100%. At that point I reset smc and nvram and then it showed a FCC of 5183. From there I discharged again to about 45% and it shut down again. Interestingly, this time the current charge and % indicator in the menubar both stayed at 100% for the first few hours until dropping rapidly to catch up to where it was supposed to be. Both times I hit the 45%/shutdown point at 3.5/4 hours of use.

I'm now discharging for the third time. We'll see what happens, I guess. I've gone from 100 - 86% in only 35 minutes under normal load, so not a great start.

I didn't write down the numbers when I did it but the FCC did drop about 225 mah running CB, from roughly 5150 to 4925, before bouncing back to roughly 5150.

Machine had 1 cycle at purchase. At 3 now after the two abrupt shutdowns at 45%, so it does seem that the machine is registering those as full cycles.

Simplo, 1002, 1, 2400.

CYQ

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Interestingly, this time the current charge and % indicator in the menubar both stayed at 100% for the first few hours until dropping rapidly to catch up to where it was supposed to be. Both times I hit the 45%/shutdown point at 3.5/4 hours of use.
That sound somewhat issue with the battery meter if indicator stayed few hours at 100%. It takes longer to drop from 100 to 99 but few few hours sound extreme. You can use CoconutBattery to monitor it more detailed as menu bar indicator only begins to update when actual battery charge is down to 94%.

But your mentioned total 3.5 to 4 hours sound low in case it was nothing CPU demanding you ran, you can surely empty battery that time in case usage is high load.

I'm now discharging for the third time. We'll see what happens, I guess. I've gone from 100 - 86% in only 35 minutes under normal load, so not a great start.
Sounds pretty fast, too fast.

I didn't write down the numbers when I did it but the FCC did drop about 225 mah running CB, from roughly 5150 to 4925, before bouncing back to roughly 5150.
That sounds about as what I see in mine. About what was battery charge percentage during that measurement?

Machine had 1 cycle at purchase. At 3 now after the two abrupt shutdowns at 45%, so it does seem that the machine is registering those as full cycles.
I think so too. I have been keeping track in mine about Charge Cycle increase and it definitely runs way too fast. I get about 80% of real use. I just measured my last cycle took only 77,3% actual battery percentage. Even if I add 10% to that (it took about 50 min until battery percentage started to go down in Coconutbattery the first time, it does not add up more than 87,3%. If I was tracking from menu bar percentage it would be even less. Time on battery was exactly 7 hours 35 minutes. It was rather light use with web browsing and Youtube music videos to AirPods. But battery use vary a lot when monitoring Coconut, due to some web sites have advertisements and scripts causing cpu load.

I think this machine is counting those U-dips (where FCC changes something like 5200 to 4900 to 5200) as actual use. Or simply these batteries are much less capacity than what they should be.

I cannot get anywhere near 10 hours advertised use.

Simplo, 1002, 1, 2400.

CYQ
The same battery data as in mine (mine is just few weeks newer build).

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
To me the keyboards sounded exactly the same but I didn't try all the keys. I actually like the keyboard so far coming from a 2012 Air.
I also much prefer these short key travel keyboards. However there is considerable difference how keyboards sound like and feel like when comparing 1.4 to 2.4 even they have the same generation butterfly.

This macbook doesn't seem to flex under normal use either.
It is something you see when you press the chassis between G and H keys. It can be just that 2.4 model has larger heat pipe and two fans that are located directly underneath the keyboard creating kind of support to it. Even in 1.4 keys on the right side as less loud and hollow due to cooling fan right underneath that location.

I think the 1.4 is decent so far, the screen reveals so much more in photos and the cpu is pretty respectable for a 13 inch laptop.
It is pretty nice but all this confusions with battery functioning worries me. I was also disappointed to find out that even speakers are much worse in 1.4 model than any other Pro. They are even worse that Air 2018. There is no bass from these, sound is otherwise rather balanced but very tinny/metallic.

The weak point just being the heat it generates and how the heat can be felt on the lap, keyboard and palm rests.
Yeah, it get pretty worm just in light use. Actually right now sitting on sofa writing this and just running YouTube music background it is pretty warm.

I'm also not sure about the coating on the screen but think it's possible to remove.
What you mean. Have you already got some damage on it?
I'm not sure if it is possible to remove completely.

I noticed that mine scratches pretty easily. I get hairline scratches you can see under very bright light at right angle just from very lightly swiping dust off the screen with soft new microfibre cloth. I've been trying to minimize the need to touch the screen and try to just use camera lens blower to blow of dust.

Full charge capacity 5103

After two Cinebench runs FCC did not drop and battery was around 74% when I started and ended with 67%.
No drop in FCC even when there was about 40W load? You verified that in Coconutbattery that it was pulling that much?
Your total battery percentage drop during two runs sound about the same as in mine. It is around 3,5% per run.
But mine definitely drops FCC during high load, especially when battery is around half full.

Could you try running that test again when your battery is around 40% to 60% and report FCC readings during it?

Last edited:

Ajoite

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2019
I just ran Cinebench again with the battery at 37% and the FCC dropped to 4827 and battery dropped to 32% but also have some tabs in a browser open and a youtube video playing so maybe that accounts for the increased drop in battery. Seems pretty normal to me.

I didn't verify in coconut battery but I had intel power gadget open and it was consuming slightly over 30 watts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.