Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
In terms of full charge capacity reading, coconut battery shows 5115 mAh then 4590 mAh amd now back to 5138 mAh
Around what battery charge level that reading was taken?

Very steep dip from 5115 to 4590!! I'd day problem is related to these dips. Battery simply dies at some points???

Does it always dip that low in your unit when there is high load?
In my unit it seems to dip from around 5200 to 4900's (4872mAh the lowest I have recorded so far).

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
Around what battery charge level that reading was taken?

Very steep dip from 5115 to 4590!! I'd day problem is related to these dips. Battery simply dies at some points???

Does it always dip that low in your unit when there is high load?
In my unit it seems to dip from around 5200 to 4900's (4872mAh the lowest I have recorded so far).

Running my 2nd high load discharge right now, it just dipped to 4958 mAh. Usually after I start charging it again, it goes back up to ~5115 mAh

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Running my 2nd high load discharge right now, it just dipped to 4958 mAh.
What was battery charge level percentage at this test? This reading is quite similar to mine (depending on battery percentage at the moment. It get lower as charge level lowers - weak battery at lower charge).

Usually after I start charging it again, it goes back up to ~5115 mAh
Please elaborate? Do you mean it is that right after you charged the battery full and ran it the first time at full battery?

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
What was battery charge level percentage at this test? This reading is quite similar to mine (depending on battery percentage at the moment. It get lower as charge level lowers - weak battery at lower charge).

It was around 80-85%

Please elaborate? Do you mean it is that right after you charged the battery full and ran it the first time at full battery?

After it shuts down and charges again, usually after charging 20%, it jumps back up to 5115 mAh

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
It was around 80-85%
Very similar readings as I see with mine. I haven't dared to run my unit to that low battery but based on my readings about dips under load, I doubt it would turn off at lower levels because it sees these 7-8% or higher dips under load at lower battery levels.

Around what battery charge levels you start to see dips to 4600's? Have you even seen it even lower than that? Did you test the same with your previous units?

After it shuts down and charges again, usually after charging 20%, it jumps back up to 5115 mAh
That's how it usually works. Full Charge Capacity reading returns higher when charging (during it). Also when running this Cinebench load test with charge connected it won't drop at all, so it all points to battery in my opinion.

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019

Very similar readings as I see with mine. I haven't dared to run my unit to that low battery but based on my readings about dips under load, I doubt it would turn off at lower levels because it sees these 7-8% or higher dips under load at lower battery levels.

Around what battery charge levels you start to see dips to 4600's? Have you even seen it even lower than that? Did you test the same with your previous units?

That's how it usually works. Full Charge Capacity reading returns higher when charging (during it). Also when running this Cinebench load test with charge connected it won't drop at all, so it all points to battery in my opinion.

I want to say 1.4 GHz is ok for regular lods. But even streaming netflix or youtube shouldn't be a reason to shut down

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I want to say 1.4 GHz is ok for regular lods. But even streaming netflix or youtube shouldn't be a reason to shut down
I agree but I've noticed that cpu load/battery consumption can change suddenly and get rather high by just browsing web when there are advertisement and all kinds of scripts running, I've seen machine pulling over 20W is some cases. So if battery level is low and battery cannot supply stable current under load (it dips like this you listed) maybe it simply cuts power.

I'm pretty sure issue I'm seeing with charge cycles increasing insanely fast is someway related to this. Maybe it counts all dips also as battery consumption (what they in a way are) but that's odd at least.

It would be interesting to see what they do to these machines if someone brings it for repair due to this problem? Will they install new battery and problem goes away? Unfortunately no instant Apple service near my location I'm unable to test it.
[doublepost=1565280452][/doublepost]Could you list more reading about Cinebench load test and how your battery acts under high load at different battery charge levels?

Also it would be great if more peoples could test their Entry MBP 2019 machines even they have not noticed any issues with their machines!

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
So i'm almost done my 2nd discharge from 100->? after resetting SMC.

So far it's gone down to 6% without cutting out. It fluctuates between 6%-10% every minute but I think that is the meter trying to balance it out, find the correct battery percentage. Now at around 8%, the full capacity jumped back up to 5118 mAh.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Is this under Cinebench load test or when idle/load use?

Please check your voltage in mV at this point?
It show that in MacOS when you click upper left corner Apple logo while holding Option key at the same time, then first menu item (system info) and there is Battery item.

Does you machine run times on battery seem reasonable? How many hours use you get with certain battery level drop in that time? Have you measured that ever?

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
Finally got to 5% with a low battery warning!

Steps to achieve this for me.

Charge to 100%. Reset SMC.
Discharge from 100%-XX% whenever it randomly shuts down.

Charge back to 100% (2 hours extra after reaching 100% to make sure it fully got charged).
Discharge from 100% - ??% whenever it shuts down. (Currently in this process), got as low as 5% with a low battery indicator. Will see if I this a permanent fix hy using it for the next few days.
[doublepost=1565281513][/doublepost]
Is this under Cinebench load test?

Please check your voltage in mV at this point?

No cinebench, its using grapher 3D examples, the yes>/dev/null command in terminal, and streaming netflix.

Vtage right now is 10728 after closing heavy load programs. Only streaming Netflix rn.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
No cinebench, its using grapher 3D examples, the yes>/dev/null command in terminal, and streaming netflix.
So pretty high load during that? How low you saw Full Charge Capacity during that?

Vtage right now is 10728 after closing heavy load programs. Only streaming Netflix rn.
Not bad. I've seen mine sometimes dipping around 10400mV but later could have been up to 10800mV! But that vary a lot and this value obviously seems to be updating not very often. So might not always show right.

That value is good to keep an eye on it for a while at different charge and load levels.

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
So pretty high load during that? How low you saw Full Charge Capacity during that?

Not bad. I've seen mine sometimes dipping around 10400mV but later could have been up to 10800mV! But that vary a lot and this value obviously seems to be updating not very often. So might not always show right.

That value is good to keep an eye on it for a while at different charge and load levels.

Full capacity charge at high load test was lowest at 4590 mAh

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
OK. Try after full charge this load test at different battery levels and keep eye on the battery voltage readings. Please report them, so we can compare and see it these have any relation to this problem.
[doublepost=1565283032][/doublepost]
OK. Try after full charge this load test at different battery levels and keep eye on the battery voltage readings. Please report them, so we can compare and see it these have any relation to this problem.

Check this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...2019-model-faulty-battery-or-feature.2191997/ for my readings at different levels.

aurorahd

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2019
I'd like to comment that my new MacBook 2019 13" 1.4 ghz is also shutting down unexpectedly at 35%. However, after an SMC reset and NVRAM reset, it seems to have been fixed only after going through 2 full cycles from 100%-35%. I'm currently typing this on 23% and I think this issue seems to be fixed after cycling through and the battery seems to be calibrated. Not sure this was because the battery needed to learn that 35% is not fully discharged. Has anyone tried this as a fix?

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
I'd like to comment that my new MacBook 2019 13" 1.4 ghz is also shutting down unexpectedly at 35%. However, after an SMC reset and NVRAM reset, it seems to have been fixed only after going through 2 full cycles from 100%-35%. I'm currently typing this on 23% and I think this issue seems to be fixed after cycling through and the battery seems to be calibrated. Not sure this was because the battery needed to learn that 35% is not fully discharged. Has anyone tried this as a fix?

Good to hear! I think the key is completing TWO cycles of draining after SMC reset to make the laptop learn 0% is fully discharged

aurorahd

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2019
Good to hear! I think the key is completing TWO cycles of draining after SMC reset to make the laptop learn 0% is fully discharged
As a worried person who loves taking care of their battery, since the laptop shutdown at 35%, the real capacity wasn't 0%, was it? Was the real battery capacity 35% and the machine thought it was at 0% and shut off? Because I know discharging it completely is terrible for the battery and I really hope it just shut off at 35% and not 0% but displaying 35%.

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
As a worried person who loves taking care of their battery, since the laptop shutdown at 35%, the real capacity wasn't 0%, was it? Was the real battery capacity 35% and the machine thought it was at 0% and shut off? Because I know discharging it completely is terrible for the battery and I really hope it just shut off at 35% and not 0% but displaying 35%.

I am thinking real capacity was 0% but laptop thought there was still 35% left.
But because it's a brand new macbook, these full drains are essential to calibrate the battery percentage fully so it correctly reflects the actual charge amount left. Continous and repeated 100->0% discharges are bad for your battery as that is a full cycle count. However my rule of thumb is 80

aurorahd

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2019
I am thinking real capacity was 0% but laptop thought there was still 35% left.
But because it's a brand new macbook, these full drains are essential to calibrate the battery percentage fully so it correctly reflects the actual charge amount left. Continous and repeated 100->0% discharges are bad for your battery as that is a full cycle count. However my rule of thumb is 80
But I'm sure a brand new MacBook should not even have to go through this calibration process and should be able to read battery percentages correctly? Should I just exchange for a new MacBook since I'm within my 14 day window just so I can have a clean new battery?

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
But I'm sure a brand new MacBook should not even have to go through this calibration process and should be able to read battery percentages correctly? Should I just exchange for a new MacBook since I'm within my 14 day window just so I can have a clean new battery?

I know we should not be going through it especially when it is right out of the box. However, just to let you know, i'm already on my 3rd macbook pro with the same issue (probably the whole lot of MBP is faulty.) You could try returning it but don't be expecting a 100% working mbp

leoshaun

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2019
I got lucky with my 3rd macbook that it didnt need a SMC reset or anything

What battery cyle are you on, mine was crazy high for a new macbook because of the cutting off.

aurorahd

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2019
I know we should not be going through it especially when it is right out of the box. However, just to let you know, i'm already on my 3rd macbook pro with the same issue (probably the whole lot of MBP is faulty.) You could try returning it but don't be expecting a 100% working mbp
This is actually my second MacBook Pro because I returned the first one because I thought 3% battery drain overnight whilst on sleep was abnormal. The first MacBook I had did not shut down at all, it discharged to 20%. So I think only select MacBooks are affected.
[doublepost=1565289017][/doublepost]
I got lucky with my 3rd macbook that it didnt need a SMC reset or anything

What battery cyle are you on, mine was crazy high for a new macbook because of the cutting off.
When I first got my second MacBook, it was on 1. Now it is corrected on the third cycle.

leoshaun

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2019
This is actually my second MacBook Pro because I returned the first one because I thought 3% battery drain overnight whilst on sleep was abnormal. .

Although you seemed to have fixed it, surely your battery cutting out at 35% is more alarming than 3% battery drain on sleep. Others even without the unexpected shutdown have expressed their worry with the battery on these new macbooks. Maybe/clearly something is just wrong with with some

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
What you mean? You see charge cycles increasing too fast also?
[doublepost=1565291310][/doublepost]
This is actually my second MacBook Pro because I returned the first one because I thought 3% battery drain overnight whilst on sleep was abnormal. The first MacBook I had did not shut down at all, it discharged to 20%. So I think only select MacBooks are affected.
I've seen mine once lost 10% overnight when it was powered off. I haven't seen that again yet, but surely it will do it again. Obviously battery is weak based on hight load test and voltages I have recorded, not to mention charge cycles increasing too fast.

I have habit to power off my machine and still battery lose something around 0.5-1W overnight or between use when turning it off for a couple hours sometimes a little more.

[When I first got my second MacBook, it was on 1. Now it is corrected on the third cycle.
Obviously SMC has some self learning it does to compensate battery but I don't think you should see these issues in new machine.

I remember receiving my unit with about 80% battery and I used it down to 26% before charging it the first time.
I try to avoid running it very low as it will hurt the battery.

Please try running this test I put link below with your machine and report your findings?

Also please post you machine battery manufacturer (I bet it is SMP/Simplo) and machine manufacturing plant and date (serial numbers 1st, 4th and 5th character shows that).

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ttery-or-feature.2191997/page-2#post-27609508

I just check my machine battery voltage when battery level was 52,5% and it was only 11129mV. Peculiarly low for that percentage. Anyone else seeing voltage getting low at times?
I've seen it go even to 10400mV at lower charge levels after high load. It seems to dip too much in my opinion.

Last edited:

kayastv

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
I think it "seems" to be fixed.

After 3 MBP,

Reset smc at 100% and going through 2 100%->XX% Drains seems to have fixed the problem for me at least.

I can go down to 5% with a low battery warning as well. (Good enough for me). Now to use it regularly from 80%->40% based on my personal preference.

Points I agree on:

Shouldnt have to deal with this issue because it's a brand new machine from Apple.

Hopefully apple sees this issue and can issue a full refund program etc.

I'm tired of going back and forth for a 4th macbook pro.

All my batteries made by simplo and al 3 mbp made same factory, serials started with C0. Also 2 MBP made first half of 2019 and 3Rd MBP made during second half of 2019

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Could be, or maybe machine simply counts out that cut out percentage, like if it used to cut at 20% it now counts old 100 to 20 area as 100 to 0, so 20% capacity lost practically. That would match well to what I see with charge cycles increasing every about 80% of real use!

But hey, just for fun try that Cinebench test cycle I posted info above my previous message. Would be interesting to see how steep dips are in your unit? I bet they are rather deep due to this fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.