Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 228 50.8%

• Total voters

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I just read up on the main MacRumorsfront page that the 2017 MBP are prone to odd stage lighting on the screen, a known defect from Apple. I’m wondering what can be done about this since for the past year I’ve basically put just put up with it. If Apple can remedy this then I’d be all for it.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I just read up on the main MacRumorsfront page that the 2017 MBP are prone to odd stage lighting on the screen, a known defect from Apple. I’m wondering what can be done about this since for the past year I’ve basically put just put up with it. If Apple can remedy this then I’d be all for it.

Right now no one is covered outside standard/AppleCare warranty except for 2016 13" MBP's.

ConPhoto

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2021
2017 13" MBP
Have the six column green/pink lines flickering flexgate issue – I'm not covered, and would be loathe to shell out for the repair. Fingers crossed for full repair program to be rolled out. ON my last MBP i had the logic board redone 3 times cos of another known design fault *quality*

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
My first post on this issue was last month on March 18th when I said this issue had started to crop up on my 15" 2016 MBP. It's now just over a month later and the situation has gotten much worse as the stage lighting has become much more prominent. I fear in the next couple of months the display will go kaput. Anyone had any luck getting this issue addressed after the lawsuit was publicized?

Gh0sty

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2021
So in IT I have seen this issue prop up on multiple occasions to unsuspecting users but NEVER have i seen the audacity that apple took with one of our clients.

They told him that the data on the mac is unrecoverable unless he purchased a new screen from them!

Also told him none of his data would be lost (when i heard this part i almost died of laughter)

Sorry apple fan ladies and gentlemen apple is notorious for deleting all files for no reason i can list of at least 5 examples within this year.

He was in the market for a new laptop and was running out of space on his old MBP (2017) #flexgate .

He cancelled the request i was able to grab all the data but I still feel its BS that this happens anything under 30 degrees the screen works flawlessly.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
So in IT I have seen this issue prop up on multiple occasions to unsuspecting users but NEVER have i seen the audacity that apple took with one of our clients.

They told him that the data on the mac is unrecoverable unless he purchased a new screen from them!

Also told him none of his data would be lost (when i heard this part i almost died of laughter)

Sorry apple fan ladies and gentlemen apple is notorious for deleting all files for no reason i can list of at least 5 examples within this year.

He was in the market for a new laptop and was running out of space on his old MBP (2017) #flexgate .

He cancelled the request i was able to grab all the data but I still feel its BS that this happens anything under 30 degrees the screen works flawlessly.
So you made an account today and posted this. This story is so full of holes. I call shenanigans.

tompaulman

macrumors member
May 16, 2021
Are you based in the UK? My 15" 2016 had flexgate a little over a month ago - and I am now typing on a brand new 16" given to me free of charge under consumer law. Needless to say, a big upgrade!
Hey Colin, I'm in Ireland where the consumer law is very similar. I'm just wondering, how did you manage to get the replacement? I suppose you didn't simply go to Apple Store or authorised dealer, show them the issue and hear them say "Ok, sorry, our fault, here's a replacement"?
Because I can imagine that a more likely response will be "Sorry dude, you purchased this almost 4 years ago and we only repair the 13" MacBooks, so it will cost you €550".

Edit: Nevermind, I found the answer few posts later!

Last edited:
Reactions: Colin8

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
So just an update. My stage lighting issue started showing up in mid March of this year on my 2016 15" TB MBP. As of today I cannot fully open the screen anymore as it results in the screen going completely blank. I have to keep it approx 75° angle anything beyond that renders the display completely blank. It took approx 2.5 months from the time the stage lighting started showing up to the time the flexgate blank screen issue started showing up. Still no repair program from Apple for this issue on 15" machines.

• Sad
Reactions: Rashy

Rashy

Suspended
Jan 7, 2020
Jeez, approaching 30 pages here soon. These 2016-2018 models are true lemons. Keyboard issues, flexgate, donglelife, T2/BridgeOS, popping speakers, mediocre batteries. Their stupid obsession for even more thinness had ruined everything. Everything but 'Pro', I am so glad that I've kept my 2015 MBP which is still working like new.

What puzzles me is Apple's ignorance to help their customers. Same design failure for both the 13" and 25", but only the 13" is covered. Wtf? Why couldn't they have kept that stupid cable separate like on the 2012-2015 models? Replacing the whole screen is toxic for both your wallet and the environment. Amateurish engineering.

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
What puzzles me is Apple's ignorance to help their customers. Same design failure for both the 13" and 25", but only the 13" is covered. Wtf? Why couldn't they have kept that stupid cable separate like on the 2012-2015 models? Replacing the whole screen is toxic for both your wallet and the environment. Amateurish engineering.
Money.

Apple doesn't care about the environment, except it profits them. And here it doesn't.
They simply don't care about their customers. They release a product and you "have to" like it.

Like: I had an issue with iCloud and got into contact with Apple Support. We went through a lot of steps and what is configured on my system and how. They genuinely asked me why I do not the iCloud Desktop and Documents sync, and when I said that it doesn't suit my needs, they literally started to argue with me how that feature is a "must have" and how I'm wrong about my needs. Not sure if that was just the one support person who is like that or if they're all like this. But, they simply don't want to accept that people don't like (some of) their products.

Like a lot of people dislike or don't want to use Big Sur for various reasons (yet). Their support with on of my issues was like "update to Big Sur and then head back to us".. Like.. urm.. no?

Reactions: Rashy

mychen66

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2021
This odd stage lighting on the screen starts to show up in my 2017 13" MBP around mid May 2021. Is there any change to the Apple fix program? I would like to have it fixed before it go blank.

pmorales

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2019
Spain
This odd stage lighting on the screen starts to show up in my 2017 13" MBP around mid May 2021. Is there any change to the Apple fix program? I would like to have it fixed before it go blank.
I don’t think there has been any modification to the Apple fix program for the backlight problem. Only 2016 13 inch MBP are covered as of today.

when was your MBP manufactured? I have a 2017 13 inch model (non-TouchBar) that is still working fine. My unit was manufactured in late 2018 so I’m hoping that Apple used the same longer flex cable that they used in the 2018 MBP model.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I know the poll in this thread is anecdotal but I think its pretty crazy that nearly 50% of people are experiencing this problem. What is it going to take for Apple to address what is obviously a widespread issue. Very frustrated with Apple’s extremely narrow acknowledgement and limited handling of this issue to only 2016 13” machines. Shameful to leave so many customers on the hook for what is essentially the most expensive repair i.e. display replacement.

Reactions: me55

MacRaphDXB

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2021
Hi everyone ! It’s my turn to experience this issue… probably a flex cable problem on my MacBook Pro 2017 15” ? Screen turn black when I open it more than 40°… Look like to be a juicy issue for Apple !

p0110

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2021
So just an update. My stage lighting issue started showing up in mid March of this year on my 2016 15" TB MBP. As of today I cannot fully open the screen anymore as it results in the screen going completely blank. I have to keep it approx 75° angle anything beyond that renders the display completely blank. It took approx 2.5 months from the time the stage lighting started showing up to the time the flexgate blank screen issue started showing up. Still no repair program from Apple for this issue on 15" machines.
I have the same problem. I cannot open completly the screen and i have to use it mid open.
Did you notice if your camera was the first thing to go off? in my case it first started with the camera and then the screen

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I have the same problem. I cannot open completly the screen and i have to use it mid open.
Did you notice if your camera was the first thing to go off? in my case it first started with the camera and then the screen
No I didn't check to see if the camera went first.

foodle

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
My 2016 13" MBP got the dreaded stage light dark spots last week. Luckily it's one of the covered models, so it's on its way back to me from Apple this very moment (presumably repaired). Thank goodness for this thread or I wouldn't have known that it was a free repair from Apple. I was getting ready to use it like an old mac mini.

Last edited:

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
My 2016 13" MBP got the dreaded stage light dark spots last week. Luckily it's one of the covered models, so it's on its way back to me from Apple this very moment (presumably repaired). Thank goodness for this thread or I wouldn't have known that it was a free repair from Apple. I was getting ready to use it like an old mac mini.
Sigh! I wish my 2016 15" was covered.

robinium

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2021
Hey Colin, I'm in Ireland where the consumer law is very similar. I'm just wondering, how did you manage to get the replacement? I suppose you didn't simply go to Apple Store or authorised dealer, show them the issue and hear them say "Ok, sorry, our fault, here's a replacement"?
Because I can imagine that a more likely response will be "Sorry dude, you purchased this almost 4 years ago and we only repair the 13" MacBooks, so it will cost you €550".

Edit: Nevermind, I found the answer few posts later!
Hi Tom,

I'm just wondering if you got any luck with this? I'm also in Ireland and the Sale of Goods should definitely cover this. I sent off a lengthy formal email to various Apple email addresses including Tim Cook etc, who I know often gets you through to executive care, demonstrating pictures of the issue and also laying out very clearly how this issue breaches the provisions of 'merchantable quality' and 'fit for purpose', for which it is neither.

In theory, they should also not be permitted to remedy this with a repair as the repair will be subject to the same defective flex cable which is not of merchantable quality or fit for purpose, so they should have to provide an equal-or-better replacement.

I only sent off that letter yesterday so will likely be waiting a bit for a reply, if I even get one. Just wondering if you had any success on the consumer law side? I will put a claim in through the Small Claims Court if they don't remedy it for me. It's only 25EUR to open a claim and I think this is the type of case which should be a very obvious breach of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Service Act.

Cheers,
Rob

robinium

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2021
Hi Tom,

I'm just wondering if you got any luck with this? I'm also in Ireland and the Sale of Goods should definitely cover this. I sent off a lengthy formal email to various Apple email addresses including Tim Cook etc, who I know often gets you through to executive care, demonstrating pictures of the issue and also laying out very clearly how this issue breaches the provisions of 'merchantable quality' and 'fit for purpose', for which it is neither.

In theory, they should also not be permitted to remedy this with a repair as the repair will be subject to the same defective flex cable which is not of merchantable quality or fit for purpose, so they should have to provide an equal-or-better replacement.

I only sent off that letter yesterday so will likely be waiting a bit for a reply, if I even get one. Just wondering if you had any success on the consumer law side? I will put a claim in through the Small Claims Court if they don't remedy it for me. It's only 25EUR to open a claim and I think this is the type of case which should be a very obvious breach of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Service Act.

Cheers,
Rob
UPDATE: An Apple employee in Cork just gave me a call and is handling the case for me. She said she's going to send the pictures on to the engineers and ask for their opinion on the issue, and then she said she'll revert back to me. Looks like the formal email to Tim Cook got through! :D Let's see what happens...

Last edited:

tompaulman

macrumors member
May 16, 2021
Hi Tom,

Cheers,
Rob
Hi Rob,

Sorry there's not much that I can advise because I gave up. My plan was to do exactly what you did, but then I got a different idea. My MacBook also had a faulty keyboard which was eligible for free official Apple repair. So I brought it to authorised service for keyboard replacement with a slight hope that they would also fix the screen. But an hour later, I got a message from them that the MacBook has liquid damage and therefore is no eligible for ANY free repair. It sounded like BS to me because I've never spilled anything on the Mac, but they sent me pictures which did look like liquid damage. Also, they pointed out that the battery was swollen and replacing it would also cost a good deal of money. Overall, to get everything fixed, they quoted more than the original machine cost me 3.5 years ago when it was new!
I also checked with unofficial Apple service - they quoted about half of the price but it was still ridiculous amount of money. It was not worth it to repair such a badly designed laptop. As you say, the screen issue would have reappeared anyway at some stage. I ended up selling it to a second hand shop for parts. They gave me €400 and I bought a used Unibody MacBook Pro for half of that. Not a suitable solution for a professional but it's surprisingly good for the usual stuff like browsing, movies, YouTube, some coding etc.

robinium

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2021
Hi Rob,

Sorry there's not much that I can advise because I gave up. My plan was to do exactly what you did, but then I got a different idea. My MacBook also had a faulty keyboard which was eligible for free official Apple repair. So I brought it to authorised service for keyboard replacement with a slight hope that they would also fix the screen. But an hour later, I got a message from them that the MacBook has liquid damage and therefore is no eligible for ANY free repair. It sounded like BS to me because I've never spilled anything on the Mac, but they sent me pictures which did look like liquid damage. Also, they pointed out that the battery was swollen and replacing it would also cost a good deal of money. Overall, to get everything fixed, they quoted more than the original machine cost me 3.5 years ago when it was new!
I also checked with unofficial Apple service - they quoted about half of the price but it was still ridiculous amount of money. It was not worth it to repair such a badly designed laptop. As you say, the screen issue would have reappeared anyway at some stage. I ended up selling it to a second hand shop for parts. They gave me €400 and I bought a used Unibody MacBook Pro for half of that. Not a suitable solution for a professional but it's surprisingly good for the usual stuff like browsing, movies, YouTube, some coding etc.
Oh dear... sorry to hear that the repair experience was so bad for you. Honestly I'm just hoping they replace this machine with a new 16" for me, given that this flex cable fault cannot be 'repaired' per se, as the repair won't rectify the issue, just delay it again. Under consumer rights law, this isn't a valid repair.

Reactions: tompaulman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.