Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 228 50.8%

• Total voters

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
France
My 2016 macbook pro with Touch Bar that i owned since it was release, started a its "flexgate" issue a week ago. Flexgate appears to be an issue caused by very fragile lcd flex cables. The LCD itself is fine, i never dented it or forced on the screen while opening it or anything...

Problem is, apple currently isn't acknowledging this issue which seems to spread a little more everyday. Apple is currently charging 600$ for a fix right now, which is insane for a design issue. I hope this gets more attention somehow....

The white stage light effect at the bottom of the screen below caused by flexgate isn't due to the photo, it's like that (maybe worse) irl

IMG_1174.JPG IMG_1214.PNG

Here is a website someone made about flexgate if you want to learn more... https://flexgate.me

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Interesting, my 2016 MBP hasn't shown signs of this yet? Op could you create a poll for this? Gives us a better idea of how wide this problem is?

Reactions: MSato

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
France
Interesting, my 2016 MBP hasn't shown signs of this yet? Op could you create a poll for this? Gives us a better idea of how wide this problem is?

My MBP didn't show any signs of flexgate before it actually got the stage light effect... And that's only stage 1 as others reporting black screens depending on how wide angle the screen is opened.

The problem isn't that wide, tho, but people are definitely having this issue...
https://twitter.com/philipyoungg/status/1072587009062039553
https://twitter.com/LukePower/status/1060518179590402048
I'll open a pole yeah, but i don't think it's necessary as most people don't have this issue yet

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
That sucks this happened. I remember I had an iPhone 4s with a similar problem (spotlights on the bottom) and it really bothered me. I haven't had any such issues yet on my nTB 2016 MBP (no keyboard issues either). Luckily I have AppleCare (bought it before AppleCare+ was an option) for one more year and the keyboard repair for another after that. Hope you can get your issue resolved!

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
France
A defect like this should not even require the device be under warranty.
I hope they recall the defective machines, but this issue needs more attention for this to even happen...

That sucks this happened. I remember I had an iPhone 4s with a similar problem (spotlights on the bottom) and it really bothered me. I haven't had any such issues yet on my nTB 2016 MBP (no keyboard issues either). Luckily I have AppleCare (bought it before AppleCare+ was an option) for one more year and the keyboard repair for another after that. Hope you can get your issue resolved!
I got no apple care unfortunately, if it wasn't for this design issue i wouldn't need it :/

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Apple is currently charging 600$ for a fix right now, which is insane for a design issue. I hope this gets more attention somehow....

Did you really call Apple or you have being in touch with authorized service providers (AASPs)? The latter will always charge you with the full price. It's up to you calling Apple and telling your story, asking for a free replacement. I think this defect should be eligible for fixing as "under warranty". Never trust on AASP budget.

Reactions: MSato

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
France
Did you really call Apple or you have being in touch with authorized service providers (AASPs)? The latter will always charge you with the full price. It's up to you calling Apple and telling your story, asking for a free replacement. I think this defect should be eligible for fixing as "under warranty". Never trust on AASP budget.
Yeah i called their support, they’re only offering a full 600$ replacement as for now

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
France
You're from France, you have better customer protection rights than that. Keep pushing them until they give you a free repair, they're required to. Ridiculous that it's even needed.
When i called they told me i’d better wait and see if they ever do recall for defective laptops, should i wait or insist like you’re saying ?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
whats crazy about this issue is it just happened one day all of a sudden

there is no phase where it slowly gets worse or anything

goes from working perfect to spotlighting

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
France
Insist, you have at least a 2 year warranty in the EU, in some cases you can push it to 3 years.
See here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm (Expand section Faulty Goods)

Don't wait because it might push you out of the EU warranty period.
Good news, apple’s warranty is based off the day they ship the item (the guy on the phone told me this at first), however i insisted the EU waranty says it is when you receive your stuff :)... So because of that, my call at apple wasn’t 3 days after the warranty but 1 day before it expires, so they have proof i called about my problem before the warranty ended, so i should hopefully get my item fixed, i didn’t have my service number thing for that call so they told me to call back tomorrow with it!
Let’s hope they start recalling devices with that problem, because i’m not the only one with this issue and i was nearly 3 days late to use my warranty...

Last edited:
Reactions: simonmet and mdnz

8SlaiN8

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018
Good news, apple’s warranty is based off the day they ship the item (the guy on the phone told me this at first), however i insisted the EU waranty says it is when you receive your stuff :)... So because of that, my call at apple wasn’t 3 days after the warranty but 1 day before it expires, so they have proof i called about my problem before the warranty ended, so i should hopefully get my item fixed, i didn’t have my service number thing for that call so they told me to call back tomorrow with it!
Let’s hope they start recalling devices with that problem, because i’m not the only one with this issue and i was nearly 3 days late to use my warranty...
lol
last second save!

Reactions: simonmet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.