Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 228 50.8%

• Total voters

0xCECECE

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2018
I ran into this issue with a late 2016 13" MBP purchased right after they launched.

In my experience, I had the exact same stage lighting effect. This lasted for about two weeks and then the backlight failed completely. Before this, my display was making popping sounds, this seems like a more common issue (if you search around, you'll find more threads about this). I wonder if the two issues are related?

For repair, Apple only offers replacing the entire top display assembly. Thankfully, I was still covered by my credit card's extended warranty, but I think these machines should be reliable enough without having to depend on this. In my case, I'm very careful with the machine and it's still in great condition.

I'm located in Taipei, so I ended up taking the machine to the only Apple store in the country. This is also a bit of a nightmare because there is quite the wait. They were kind enough to order the part and let me know when it was in so I was able to keep using the machine. Once the backlight failed I brought it in and they had the repair done in one business day. Total repair cost was about $550 USD, If I didn't get reimbursed by the credit card I would definitely be trying to escalate up the chain, although I doubt I would have any luck.

Between this and the keyboard I think I'll sadly be moving away from Apple. The price premium doesn't offer any clear benefits to me anymore.

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
Good news, apple’s warranty is based off the day they ship the item (the guy on the phone told me this at first), however i insisted the EU waranty says it is when you receive your stuff :)... So because of that, my call at apple wasn’t 3 days after the warranty but 1 day before it expires, so they have proof i called about my problem before the warranty ended, so i should hopefully get my item fixed, i didn’t have my service number thing for that call so they told me to call back tomorrow with it!
Let’s hope they start recalling devices with that problem, because i’m not the only one with this issue and i was nearly 3 days late to use my warranty...

Happy to hear you can most likely get it solved. At the end of the day Apple is a business and they will try to cut costs on things like this. Many people in the EU don’t make use of the laws of their country enough. If you believe you have a full right for a repair, even if it’s after the “Apple warranty”, be persistent. :)

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
When i called they told me i’d better wait and see if they ever do recall for defective laptops, should i wait or insist like you’re saying ?

Which kind of support did you call? Is it the "national" support like a "800" phone number or did you call the local assistance from your city? In Brazil, I've always had good support from the Apple Brazil customer service, but not always from the local official assistance in Porto Alegre.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
Good news, apple’s warranty is based off the day they ship the item (the guy on the phone told me this at first), however i insisted the EU waranty says it is when you receive your stuff :)... So because of that, my call at apple wasn’t 3 days after the warranty but 1 day before it expires, so they have proof i called about my problem before the warranty ended, so i should hopefully get my item fixed, i didn’t have my service number thing for that call so they told me to call back tomorrow with it!
Let’s hope they start recalling devices with that problem, because i’m not the only one with this issue and i was nearly 3 days late to use my warranty...

How can you prove date of delivery after 2 years?

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
France
How can you prove date of delivery after 2 years?
Shipment was tracked, and I also insisted quite a bit for them to actually do something...
Which kind of support did you call? Is it the "national" support like a "800" phone number or did you call the local assistance from your city? In Brazil, I've always had good support from the Apple Brazil customer service, but not always from the local official assistance in Porto Alegre.
Well, I just went on apple's website and gave them my phone number and they called me

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
Shipment was tracked, and I also insisted quite a bit for them to actually do something...

Well, I just went on apple's website and gave them my phone number and they called me

Usually after few moths tracking is dead. Did you check the tracking ?

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
France
Usually after few moths tracking is dead. Did you check the tracking ?
Tracking is probably dead, but I had an email with the date I received the shipment forwarded to one of my email accounts and I had the date here, but whatever, they accepted to do something anyway

daithimckeown

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
I too am having this issue... I wrote about it on the apple community forum and it was deleted inside of 5mins...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 11.23.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 11.23.57 PM.png
    199.6 KB · Views: 660
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 11.24.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 11.24.06 PM.png
    201.2 KB · Views: 600

Krishh1997

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
In the last months I have seen a problem growing, in this page there are already some messages, it is a damage in the Flex of MacBooks Pro 2016, 2017, 2018.

Using the MacBook Pro 2016 and later under normal conditions over time, Your laptop may start to show following symptoms:

Stage light effect appears at the bottom of the screen when you set at a high brightness level.
Backlight shutdown comes after opening the lid for a certain degree.

In most cases the problem appears after 1 or 1.5 years.

On this page, it is widely explained https://flexgate.me, in change.org, more than 1000 people have signed up

lapacho

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2016
I'm facing the same issue right now. Having a MacBook Pro 2016 non Touch Bar. Suddenly since last weekend it has the stagelight effect and unfortunately I'm out of warrant. Used It primarily at home, so now I'm using my mpb with external display :(

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
having the same issue. it came without warning. So better you don't open and close your macbook too often....

They need to offer indefinite free support for this issue imo

Just like the keyboard needs to be even more than the acknowledged 4 year warranty (and only one year more than if you have AppleCare)

Then despite the flaws
I’d be decently happy knowing it’s stood by and I ain’t gonna be bearing the brunt of engineering design flaws

Reactions: kevk74

lapacho

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2016
They need to offer indefinite free support for this issue imo

Just like the keyboard needs to be even more than the acknowledged 4 year warranty (and only one year more than if you have AppleCare)

Then despite the flaws
I’d be decently happy knowing it’s stood by and I ain’t gonna be bearing the brunt of engineering design flaws

yes. In addition to the keyboard problem, which can occur even after 4 years at any time, you also have the risk that the display suddenly no longer works.

I just talked to apple and there is no chance for goodwill because there is no exchange program right now. So I hope there will be a class action suit.
Great, after 2 years my macbook is no longer usable. The time is over where you could use MacBooks carefree 5 years and longer.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Wow you think these machines have had enough problems and more and more just keep emerging. I think this generation of MacBook Pro will go down as Apple’s version of the dreaded Mercedes of the early 2000s...

caroparo

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2019
I’ve been using a late 2016 mbp without TB since mid December 2016. The display flex died recently and screen only lights up on low angles.

Before this happens, there’s another minor issue I regretfully ignored: the screen fails or takes a long time to wake up when connected to an external display with power cable. I’ve been using a Bluetooth keyboard to wake it up. Now I know that the Bluetooth component is part of the screen I suspect it’s something related. So for anyone who suffers from Bluetooth connection issues: don’t hesitate to take your laptop to Apple store if you’re under warranty coverage (if you contacted Apple online support, they’ll likely tell you to tune all kinds of software settings just to discourage you from going to a Genius Bar).

For people who are covered by Apple Care, you’re wise. However I believe this defect is something that shouldn’t be ignored just because you’re temporarily covered. It’s serious issue that under normal use, the $600 screen fails within 2 years. Even with 3 years warranty , one could have replaced the screen 12-18 months after purchase for some reason, only to affected by this very defect happening after the warranty expired, having to pay for the ridiculously high replacement fee for a cracked flex if Apple does not acknowledge this as a defect. The weak AR coating defect can be replaced twice within 4 years from purchase without additional fees. This should definitely be covered as well.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
For people who are covered by Apple Care, you’re wise.

Applecare isn't a great solution. They just lock you in for at least half the usual repair cost. They used to frequently offer depot repair for much less than $600 though.

Reactions: caroparo

KayM8

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
2016 base nTB here, bought right after launch, and this Flexgate problem began for me a couple months back, and worsened over time (the spotlights would begin to appear when the lid is opened less and less, and the screen brightness decrease became worse). Visited an Apple authorised service provider (AASP) in my country since there aren't any Apple Stores here, and they ordered me a new screen (and keyboard because I have the high-pitched click sound issue when the keys are warm), both covered under my AppleCare which I bought with the laptop. Currently waiting on parts, they've let me keep my laptop until they get the parts.

Edit: found this interesting video in the mean time, it wasn't in the flexgate website so...

Last edited:
Reactions: Olivia88

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Thin, thin, thin.
Thin MacBooks are "in".
But what leaves us perplexed,
Is how the durn things "flex" !!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mendota

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
France

Well bad news... So everything was going great, the technicians told me my laptop would be repaired under warranty since I had called about the problem before the warranty expires, so they requested me a price quotation of my MacBook Pro from a certified reseller, so a few weeks later I got it (Paying 50€ for it too...). And now guess what, Apple doesn't want to fix my Laptop anymore!! They're telling me they can't find the proof that I called about the problem before the warranty expired anymore (when clearly they didn't search at all: I gave them all the details about the phone call I had with them about the problem even the date, hour and full name of the guy) and they won't fix my laptop like promised...

Anyway... I heard you could get this fixed for much cheaper in some third party repair shops, I might try to find one that's capable of fixing this...

dpritchard

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2019
Today my 2016 MacBook Pro (4 port / Touch Bar) started exhibiting the complete 'black screen' / backlight fail that other users have described.

People seem convinced that this is a design flaw in most (all?) post-2016 MBPs. So the obvious question for me is: Does anyone know if the newest MacBook Airs (October 2018) suffer from the same design flaw? (and therefore might be reasonably expected to suffer from the same issue in the future?)

I had a look at a couple of teardowns, but I don't have the knowledge to know if the ribbon assembly or setup is fundamentally different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.