Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 228 50.8%

• Total voters

Igor3d

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2022
Could some body help with question? Can I use an external monitor that I can connect by HDMI (with type-c connector of course) In case If my Macbook pro 2016 15 inch will get flexgate?
p.s. but I still hope that flexgate could skip mine macbook :)

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Could some body help with question? Can I use an external monitor that I can connect by HDMI (with type-c connector of course) In case If my Macbook pro 2016 15 inch will get flexgate?
p.s. but I still hope that flexgate could skip mine macbook :)
Yes, you can always use an external monitor, even if your MBP's display gets affected by Flexgate. Only the laptop display is affected here.

utcung

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2022
Apple was forced to fix my 5 year old machine via a legal order less than two months ago. Since then, 6 people have used my case and documents to have theirs fixed in various Apple stores. I'm assisting around 15 more people with pursuing action in the same way I did.
Under the wonderful consumer protections we enjoy here in Australia, I can keep posting about about this until the defect units are up to 10 years old, because that's how long a consumer is entitled to protections under the law here.
It's very satisfying to know my work is helping other people beat Apple's dishonesty.
Do you have any evidence their chief designer lost their job because of Flexgate, or are you just making that up?
would you please help me in doing so? I'd called apple 2 times and they refused the service. They said it was a vintage product and they won't pick up the tap for the repair. Please help me. I'm in California, U.S. Thanks so much again

TgeO7b3vdvOS

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2018
Haven't used my 2016 MBP for some months now, was thinking of selling it , but now when I started it I realized that my laptop is affected by flexgate :(
I bought it november 2016 so the 5 years have passed so I'm not eligeble for this program.

I got a quote from apple of around 2700 SEK for tradein, but that requiers the monitor to work.

Would it be possible for myself to fix the flexgate issue? How much does it cost ? I would have use apple original parts i'm guessing for apple to actually take it as a trade in

Otherwise i'm probably just going to try and sell it , beacuse it works perfectly when docked, i7 16gb ram and 256gb ssd , so it would be a shame to just throw it away...

Holly821

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2023
Apple was forced to fix my 5 year old machine via a legal order less than two months ago. Since then, 6 people have used my case and documents to have theirs fixed in various Apple stores. I'm assisting around 15 more people with pursuing action in the same way I did.
Under the wonderful consumer protections we enjoy here in Australia, I can keep posting about about this until the defect units are up to 10 years old, because that's how long a consumer is entitled to protections under the law here.
It's very satisfying to know my work is helping other people beat Apple's dishonesty.
Do you have any evidence their chief designer lost their job because of Flexgate, or are you just making that up?
Hey, could you also DM me the info/files.. also in a similar position with a with a MBP with Flexgate with vertical lines and a pink display. I took the product into an Apple store in Melbourne a couple times and was quoted $900+ to have it fixed. The same MBP had the sticky keyboard so I able to have the Top case with battery replaced by Apple for free but no luck with the screen - can't believe there were so many issues with one product! Anyway will try again once I receive your files. Thanks for the help!

2017MBPflexgate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
Hey, could you also DM me the info/files.. also in a similar position with a with a MBP with Flexgate with vertical lines and a pink display. I took the product into an Apple store in Melbourne a couple times and was quoted $900+ to have it fixed. The same MBP had the sticky keyboard so I able to have the Top case with battery replaced by Apple for free but no luck with the screen - can't believe there were so many issues with one product! Anyway will try again once I receive your files. Thanks for the help!
Hi Holly, I've DM'ed you my contact details. Because the files are too large for DM in this forum, I can send you my doc pack on when you get in touch =)

Lazyass0

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2020
Another Dustgate here on 2019 16" ... they refuse to change display for free. I think we will see more and more that kind of failure on all Macbook Pro even on M ones, I found quite few threads over the web with this problem for different models from 2016-2021 MBP ...
They should open Repair Program for this issue !

IMG_8958.jpeg

Reactions: VaruLV

John Away

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
I think my 2017 A1706 has the flexigate issue. Say think as screen does not have vertical stripes but just a blank screen if opened more than say ~ 50mm if less the screen is normal - can someone confirm that is the common flexigate issue? I can connect an external monitor which replicates the up to ~ 50mm Ok any more blank screen.

I have had many chats with Apple (non) support people and and at one stage they said repair would be £229 - I assumed this would be a close estimate, they did not state this. So took it to a local fully Apple approved service place who demanded an upfront £99 diagnostics charge, the resultant repair cost quoted was over £600 with no discount of the £99 charge. So approx 3 times the supposedly knowledgable (Apple must have a massive database of quality issues) support persons stated cost. Been back and forth with Apple with no attempt by them to resolve the issue in any way.

2017MBPflexgate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
That does sound like Flexgate. If you shine a torch into the screen when it's open and switched on, you should be able to just make out what is on the screen because it's still there, it's just not backlit.

We've had a lot of people get their Flexgate defective MacBooks fixed here for free in Australia, because we have strong consumer protection laws that protect the public when companies like Apple sell defective goods and then flat out lie to their customers about it for years and years. It's quite baffling that a business that makes larger profits than almost anything else on the planet is so crippled and degraded by it's own hubris and vanity.

Anyway, what we've discovered here in Australia is if you take them on legally they'll loose every single time. Their legal people are weak and know they cannot defend the indefensible. So my advice is take them to your local Magistrates Court or Small Claims Tribunal. Generally they do not cost much to lodge for a small claim and I'll be happy to send you my evidence document pack that I and others have used to beat them.

Here's an example of an application text that has been used successfully to get the ball rolling. It doesn't need to be complicated or verbose, just simply point out the defect and the lie.

Summary of Facts Relevant to the Claim

A Macbook Pro xxxxxx was purchased from Apple on xx/xx/xxxx at the Apple store, xxxxxx for $x,xxx.xx.
In dd/mm/yyyy the screen on the Macbook failed due to a globally recognised issue known as "Flexgate".

This manufacturing defect is caused by the flexible ribbon cable connecting the screen having been manufactured approximately 3mm too short. This results in the ribbon cable failing under normal use conditions simply due to the laptop being opened and closed.

The laptop was returned to Apple for repair, Apple diagnosed the issue and quoted $xxx.xx to replace the screen as they claim this model is not subject to their Service Program initiated for a limited number of 2016 models to repair the issue. This despite overwhelming, worldwide evidence to the contrary that all models manufactured in 2016,2017 and early 2018 were manufactured with the identical defect.

Here's an example of someone that took Apple on here just last week in the Magistrates Court of Western Australia using that exact text and Apple were ordered to give him a brand new MacBook AND pay his costs! https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3jm61746?p=8

DM me if you want me to send the doc pack!

Cheers
Tristan

Reactions: Christopher Kim

John Away

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
That does sound like Flexgate. If you shine a torch into the screen when it's open and switched on, you should be able to just make out what is on the screen because it's still there, it's just not backlit.

We've had a lot of people get their Flexgate defective MacBooks fixed here for free in Australia, because we have strong consumer protection laws that protect the public when companies like Apple sell defective goods and then flat out lie to their customers about it for years and years. It's quite baffling that a business that makes larger profits than almost anything else on the planet is so crippled and degraded by it's own hubris and vanity.

Anyway, what we've discovered here in Australia is if you take them on legally they'll loose every single time. Their legal people are weak and know they cannot defend the indefensible. So my advice is take them to your local Magistrates Court or Small Claims Tribunal. Generally they do not cost much to lodge for a small claim and I'll be happy to send you my evidence document pack that I and others have used to beat them.

Here's an example of an application text that has been used successfully to get the ball rolling. It doesn't need to be complicated or verbose, just simply point out the defect and the lie.

Summary of Facts Relevant to the Claim

A Macbook Pro xxxxxx was purchased from Apple on xx/xx/xxxx at the Apple store, xxxxxx for $x,xxx.xx.
In dd/mm/yyyy the screen on the Macbook failed due to a globally recognised issue known as "Flexgate".

This manufacturing defect is caused by the flexible ribbon cable connecting the screen having been manufactured approximately 3mm too short. This results in the ribbon cable failing under normal use conditions simply due to the laptop being opened and closed.

The laptop was returned to Apple for repair, Apple diagnosed the issue and quoted $xxx.xx to replace the screen as they claim this model is not subject to their Service Program initiated for a limited number of 2016 models to repair the issue. This despite overwhelming, worldwide evidence to the contrary that all models manufactured in 2016,2017 and early 2018 were manufactured with the identical defect.

Here's an example of someone that took Apple on here just last week in the Magistrates Court of Western Australia using that exact text and Apple were ordered to give him a brand new MacBook AND pay his costs! https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3jm61746?p=8

DM me if you want me to send the doc pack!

Cheers
Tristan
Thanks Tristan I have looked at small claims in UK, may give it a try.

John Away

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
In light of Tristan’s input does anyone have info of successful or not with “small“ claims court in the UK?

Louise11

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
Hello, I am certain I also have the flexgate issue on my 2017 Mac Pro model. Also in the U.K. and interested if anyone has had success?
@2017MBPflexgate
Is it possible I can also get a hold of the documentation from your case in Australia? It might help me here.

Thanks in advance.

Igor3d

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2022
Good day, I have a Macbook Pro 2016 15". I've been using it for over 6 years now, carrying it with me to work and back home every day, working on it almost around the clock. I've had no issues with it so far... Except that in 2020, the official Apple service center replaced the battery for me and fixed some keys that were sticking. Maybe they also replaced the ribbon cable? However, I can't remember if they changed the display or not.

bd700pilot

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
My wife’s 2016 mbp just started having this issue. Apple’s USA support site still shows the repair program information. It states that it’s effective for 3 years from date of the program, but does not say what date that is. Can anyone confirm if the program is still in effect without me being on hold with Apple? Many thanks!

2017MBPflexgate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
If you're lucky enough to live in Western Australia, Apple will give you a brand new MacBook rather than face a Court and have to tell the truth about their Flexgate defective product. Here's a link to a Whirlpool forum post about the latest win for a disillusioned Apple customer https://whrl.pl/RgHMCW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.