Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 228 50.8%

• Total voters

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Went to the store yesterday, they diagnosed the issue pretty quickly. Lady commented it is a common problem, but there is no program thus Apple Care need to contract me. They called, said they couldn't help, asked nicely and they escalated to a senior engineer. He was not aware of the flex problem, did some research and agreed it sounds similar to the 2016 problem. Said he would need to check if it could be covered or if Apple can help in any way, so called me back today and said no. There is no other option to explore them covering this, and no other escalation options. It is very disappointing, coming from someone with >10 of their devices, and been a user for so long, I find their approach to this pretty unlike them.

I have asked if I can get something written back from them explaining why they cannot cover it, but they refuse to do so. This is obviously too much legal exposure for them. I have asked for a copy of this call/transcript at a minimum, I have been send some privacy processes to follow. When I get it I'll see how I feel. Maybe lodge something in small claims court.
No. I would keep trying. In the past 20 years I’ve had every single real issue taken care of. Admittedly yes I’ve had to visit a few Apple Stores if it doesn’t work.

They’ve seen I’ve had MacBooks through the past 15 years and have always always always helped me. And by that I specifically mean they’ve either repaired the issue or flat out given me a new MacBook.

Maybe it’s because I come across a genuinely nice OR maybe it’s because they see how extensive my Apple ID and purchased history has been with them but…

In 2009 they replaced my white polycarbonate MacBook with a brand new unibody aluminum MacBook Pro. I’ve had like 3 iPads replaced and most recently they upgraded me from a 2011 mac mini to a M1 refurb Mac Mini.

I also have to admit that I’ve gone to the Apple store I few times with real
Bogus problems hoping they’d just give me a new model and when I’ve done that it’s never worked and seen through my BS and told me the issue isn’t worth replacing and they give me a quote… for example I one day wanted them to replace and upgrade my AW from the S3 to anything newer and they didn’t cause of a little light leak that isn’t a real issue. They saw through my BS and quoted me $79.

But the times they have been real issues like flexgate or butterfly keyboard issues and they have taken those seriously.

Finally, it’s never worked for me on the first try. Like with the AW I gave up the first try cause the Apple employees were right and I was indeed making it an issue when it didn’t need to be. But the MacBook stuff I take seriously and don’t give up when it’s a real problem cause I need that to get work done. I’ve had the same Apple ID since the beginning and have had my devices serviced at Apple stores in like 5 different states. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have a notes section in their internal systems to see which customers are full of poop and which are legitimately going through issues.

Don’t. Give. Up.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
No. I would keep trying. In the past 20 years I’ve had every single real issue taken care of. Admittedly yes I’ve had to visit a few Apple Stores if it doesn’t work.

They’ve seen I’ve had MacBooks through the past 15 years and have always always always helped me. And by that I specifically mean they’ve either repaired the issue or flat out given me a new MacBook.

Maybe it’s because I come across a genuinely nice OR maybe it’s because they see how extensive my Apple ID and purchased history has been with them but…

In 2009 they replaced my white polycarbonate MacBook with a brand new unibody aluminum MacBook Pro. I’ve had like 3 iPads replaced and most recently they upgraded me from a 2011 mac mini to a M1 refurb Mac Mini.

I also have to admit that I’ve gone to the Apple store I few times with real
Bogus problems hoping they’d just give me a new model and when I’ve done that it’s never worked and seen through my BS and told me the issue isn’t worth replacing and they give me a quote… for example I one day wanted them to replace and upgrade my AW from the S3 to anything newer and they didn’t cause of a little light leak that isn’t a real issue. They saw through my BS and quoted me $79.

But the times they have been real issues like flexgate or butterfly keyboard issues and they have taken those seriously.

Finally, it’s never worked for me on the first try. Like with the AW I gave up the first try cause the Apple employees were right and I was indeed making it an issue when it didn’t need to be. But the MacBook stuff I take seriously and don’t give up when it’s a real problem cause I need that to get work done. I’ve had the same Apple ID since the beginning and have had my devices serviced at Apple stores in like 5 different states. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have a notes section in their internal systems to see which customers are full of poop and which are legitimately going through issues.

Don’t. Give. Up.

I have always gotten resolution on problems on the first visit and that includes a boatload of logic board replacements and includes a free battery on a 2008 MacBook Pro about 6 years after I bought it. I do suspect that the culture of the individual store has something to do with it and I do think that the store manager has a lot of discretion on this stuff. One other thing that I've seen is the store offer a very good price on a replacement model.

It is frustrating when you drop a lot of money on a product and it has problems or if you were unlucky enough to buy their 2016-2019 stuff.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I have always gotten resolution on problems on the first visit and that includes a boatload of logic board replacements and includes a free battery on a 2008 MacBook Pro about 6 years after I bought it. I do suspect that the culture of the individual store has something to do with it and I do think that the store manager has a lot of discretion on this stuff. One other thing that I've seen is the store offer a very good price on a replacement model.

It is frustrating when you drop a lot of money on a product and it has problems or if you were unlucky enough to buy their 2016-2019 stuff.

Definitely depends on the store. Which is why I have specific go to stores in California and NYC that I’ll always go outta my way to visit, passing by half a dozen other Apple Stores along the way. I even know the security guards at this 1 particular store that I met when Covid began and everyone is just so nice and friendly.

Last time I visited the store my Mac Mini was stuck updating with remedy in sight. I spent a solid 7 hours in the store and they hooked it up with a new M1 mini since they themselves couldn’t fix it… but they did make me promise that if they could fix it within 72 hours that I was to return the M1 mini. Less than 24 hours they called me and they couldn’t find it and to just enjoy the M1 Mini.

That particular store has seen me return and purchase so many AW bands and cases and AirTags since they were so nice to me… I even started signing up for those Apple sessions on IMovie just as an excuse to hang out with the employees and as you can imagine it’s gotta be chill for them to hang out with a customer that talks shop and is nice back to them as opposed to some of the customers that walk in the door and are immediately rude and demanding… which I’ve been many times and I get it, technology can be frustrating to the uneducated but point is, don’t give up and keep trying.

Pedro147

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
Australia
Went to the store yesterday, they diagnosed the issue pretty quickly. Lady commented it is a common problem, but there is no program thus Apple Care need to contract me. They called, said they couldn't help, asked nicely and they escalated to a senior engineer. He was not aware of the flex problem, did some research and agreed it . . . . .
An all too familiar response from Apple who know that it's a design guaranteed to fail. Your best bet is to reach out to independent third party repair and have a new Flex cable soldered the end of the backlight flex. I suggest Rossmann repair in NY or TCRS Circuit (California). I am assuming that you are in the US?

jonny360

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2022
Looking for a little input here, US customer. 2016 macbook pro 15" I had the stage lighting going on the past few months but it didn't really affect day to day use so I just ignored it. Then last week out of no where screen goes blank. About a day of troubleshooting and researching and I diagnosed it as flexgate. Went into my local apple store they confirmed it was the backlight issue and quoted me $700 to repair. When I brought up the admited program for the 2016 13" they said i'd have to call apple to see if they can do something for me. I've called customer support twice, always same thing, i get escalated to a tech who says they are top of the chain and there is nothing they can do. "its like a car you buy a car and if you have issues you have to deal with them" that was what one tech told me, meanwhile my wifes 10yr old vw just got a waterpump replaced free do to a recall.....

What else can I do? The last tech told me they only handle software issues over the phone and I had to go to a store and talk to a manager? Is there a better number to call or something? I could easily afford to go out and buy a new macbook, but i'm so pissed off at the complete lack of support on a 5yr old "high end" computer that I don't want anything to do with apple right now. The fact they consider this "vintage" and therefore dont' fix their own defects now is horrendous.

Reactions: VaruLV

jonny360

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2022
I've read the new macbook pros are quite good, but at the moment im like screw this company they've taken enough of my money. I have a 2016 15" macbook pro with the flexgate where my backlight is now broken due to them using too short a cable. If it was a 13" model they would fix it no charge. But because they never declared a program for the 15" models they tell me its a $700 fix. This isn't the kinda thing that can even get broken by a consumer, only their defect causes this. Its outrageous they just expect you to roll over after a $3000 laptop breaks with 5 years of use. I've talked to a genius at the local store, i've talked to two techs on the phone. They all tell me to f'n bad. I always thought of apple being known for making a quality product, but this sure makes me think those days are long gone.

2017MBPflexgate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
Which country are you in? Someone in Australia convinced a tribunal and you may be able to do the same in your country.
Yeah that was me. We do have wonderfully strong consumer protection laws here in Australia that should be a model for everywhere. I'd also like to think the tribunal here are getting sick of Apple's ****.

Anyway, I'm happy to share all of my evidence I collected and submitted, and the Order that was made by the Tribunal to anyone that asks for it. I'm also happy to help folks prepare their materials for an action in their own jurisdiction. DM me, I'm also pretty easy to find by just googling my name.

2017MBPflexgate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
Another Win!!! One of the many wonderful people that have contacted me with their Flexgate problem (and wishes to stay anon) got granted a free repair on Friday for their 2017 unit, using a copy of my NCAT Order. It went down like this:

Genius bar this morning as follows
Junior genius chap. "needs a new display out of warranty so you will have to pay"
Me : Can I speak with a manager ?
manager : After explaining about your tribunal win " well that's an individual case, cannot apply that to all"
Me : Pulling out your tribunal letter – Then i'll take this to NSW Tribunal as evidenced by this letter.
manager : Reading your letter with furrowed brow
Manager in hushed chat with Junior guy
Junior guy and manager : well you have done your research and to avoid the matter going higher we will repair it free.

So it's possible folks! Go for it, be calm and firm, and if they push back, feel free to let them know that I will be there at your Tribunal hearing.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I always thought of apple being known for making a quality product, but this sure makes me think those days are long gone.
Those days are back, but that doesn't help you at all, I know :(.
You bought a Mac during Apple's worst period of making not-fit-for-purpose Macs in the whole history of the company, and as a result Jonny Ive lost his job.

America really needs to introduce better consumer-protection laws.
That said, even here in the UK and EU, where our consumer-protection laws are comparatively very good, I'm not sure a claim against a six year old product would hold up in court. After that amount of time a lot of inherent defects can just be written off as general wear and tear, even though the fact is it's a design defect.

Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and sell it as spares or repairs. Even if it was fully working, what's it actually worth now? 300? Ask yourself if it's worth the battle.

But I wish you success whichever route you take.

2017MBPflexgate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
Poor Jony. Though I see that when he left he hooked up with Marc Newson, who designs drinking glasses that slip right outta your hand: https://marc-newson.com/drinking-glasses/ :) Qantas got him to do their on board glasses several years ago and even with a little condensation, they were almost impossible to pick up or hold. But back to topic...

One of the main reasons consumer protection laws exist is so design defects cannot be written off as wear and tear. I think Australia has gotten the parameters of their laws just right. Making strong laws that push companies towards long term durability are going to become more important for saving our fragile planet from ever growing waste.

As the (now) second most profitable company on Earth, it baffles me that Apple cant deal with their design problems swiftly and effectively using their billions of dollar of cash reserve. Like how much cash do they really need to have stashed, and for what? Maybe offer a discount on a new unit if you present your defective MacBook Pro for recycling. Show that they are responsible citizens both corporately and greenly.

2017MBPflexgate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
I'm very disappointed with Apple. They just came back to me and informed me that because it is over 3 years from purchase, the issue is very unlikely to be a manufacturing defect with the ribbon cable, as it usually would have appeared before now (which is bull, most of the people claiming under the 2016 13" repair programme have the issue occurring after the 3 year mark). So, they won't be doing anything for me, they said.

I'm really disappointed with them, and I'm going to put in a small claims court claim here in Ireland. It only costs 25EUR to do so, so no major loss if I get nowhere, but at least I'll be satisfied that I tried.
After Apple Executive Relations refused to fix my Flexgate defected 2017 A1706, two weeks ago I took them to the New South Wales Civil and Administrative Tribunal here in Australia. The Tribunal found in my favour and Apple were ordered to replace the screen. I'm happy to share the evidence I collected for the hearing, which covers 2016 and 2017 and early 2018 13 and 15 inch models, and Im happy to also provide a copy of the Tribunal Order to anyone that asks. It'd be interesting to see if presenting the Order to small claims and consumer rights in other countries helps bolster cases.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

Pudawei

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
After Apple Executive Relations refused to fix my Flexgate defected 2017 A1706, two weeks ago I took them to the New South Wales Civil and Administrative Tribunal here in Australia. The Tribunal found in my favour and Apple were ordered to replace the screen. I'm happy to share the evidence I collected for the hearing, which covers 2016 and 2017 and early 2018 13 and 15 inch models, and Im happy to also provide a copy of the Tribunal Order to anyone that asks. It'd be interesting to see if presenting the Order to small claims and consumer rights in other countries helps bolster cases.
I have the exact same Flexgate issue with August 2017 A1706 and Apple refused to cover the repair and ended up hanging up on me twice. I am planning to file a claim with the Small Claims Tribunal in Hong Kong in the coming days.

lusinekhachatryan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
Paris, France
Hi. I am so glad I found this forum. I have exactly the same problem Mac Book Pro 2016 13. Can anybody update on this if Apple repairs it in 2022? I and what is the best way to approach them. I am based in Paris. Thank you

2017MBPflexgate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
Hi. I am so glad I found this forum. I have exactly the same problem Mac Book Pro 2016 13. Can anybody update on this if Apple repairs it in 2022? I and what is the best way to approach them. I am based in Paris. Thank you
Because it's a 2016 model and possibly is/was covered by Apple's Service Program, you may be lucky enough for them to fix the problem at your local Apple Store. If they don't I'll be happy to send you the evidence I submitted here in Australia where Apple were forced to fix my defective MacBook Pro a month or so ago, and you can take whatever action you need to with that.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016

As @2017MBPflexgate mentioned, the 2016 13” MBP was covered by an official service program.

It technically expires 5yrs after the date of purchase, so whether you’re officially covered or not depends on when you bought it. Even if it’s past the 5yr mark, because it was covered, you *might* be able to convince an Apple Store employee (would likely need to be approved by a manager eventually) to give you a courtesy fix.

I would book a service repair appointment at an Apple Store, and then follow some of the advice in this thread on trying to make the case if you’re outside the 5yr mark. If you’re still within 5yrs of purchase date, then should be no problem.

Reactions: lusinekhachatryan

2017MBPflexgate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
In the past week I've had two more people that have contacted me take their 15 inch pros to Apple Stores in Charlestown and Broadway (Sydney) and the stores have consented to fixing their Flexgate affected units at no cost, so it's still possible. Both had copies of my tribunal case documents, which I'm happy to supply to anyone that asks. Also now included with my Flexgate docs is a quite useful (anonymised) Genius Bar Work Authorisation that specifies "display replacement for flex cable issue" from a grateful repairee too.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Personal opinion...
I think you need to let go and move on.
We all know it was a bad design.
Apple know it was a bad design.
Their chief designer even lost his job because of it (read between the lines).
But the machines are now of an age where no court on earth would find Apple liable for fixing them because 'wear and tear' is a legitimate exemption.
You still going to be posting about this in 2032?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.