Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 228 50.8%

• Total voters

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
Exactly, the problem is that the issue was talked about to the Sells department and not the technical one (while ordering items)... So the technical department doesn't want to go through the hassle of contacting the sells department to get that recording. Yeah this sounds stupid, I may have to wait for a recall now to get my laptop fixed (if apple ever responds to this issue...)

Keep calling until they do fix it. Keep pushing the EU customer laws, they'll budge because they have no choice. It's better to push a multi billion dollar company than you to pay over $600.

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
France
Keep calling until they do fix it. Keep pushing the EU customer laws, they'll budge because they have no choice. It's better to push a multi billion dollar company than you to pay over $600.
Yep! Managed to make them do an exception yesterday, found someone that finally understood the situation and actually listened...

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
So did the OP manage to convince apple to do a repair at apple's cost? I would like to know how the story has progressed.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Very interesting this one, I went into the Apple Store this afternoon, my FaceTime camera stopped working, sometimes it didn't show a display other times it did. (MacBook Pro 2018 15inch)

The genius guy was one of the best I dealt with in a long time, he knew about the forums, he knew about Flexgate and what people are saying, didn't play it dumb. I was so thrilled with this, I'm sure a lot of us have experienced different.

Anyway, my point was that he ended up changing two items -

661-10355 Display, Space Gray £ 452.00
923-02502 eDP Flex Cable £ 8.00
S1490LL/A Hardware Repair Labor £ 69.00

Total £ 529.00

Of course, I was within warranty and there was no cost, but what's interesting is this eDP Flex Cable is being added on separately. He knew for my situation the fault could be within the display itself (i.e. the camera might be faulty) hence he changed the display too. But for folks with just a flex cable problem, maybe it will be a simple £8.00 repair for them.

This could be a very interesting solution for Apple, I don't know how this Flex Cable attaches itself to the monitor and whether it can be removed. Or whether it's the same cable that is causing 'flexgate'

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Very interesting this one, I went into the Apple Store this afternoon, my FaceTime camera stopped working, sometimes it didn't show a display other times it did. (MacBook Pro 2018 15inch)

The genius guy was one of the best I dealt with in a long time, he knew about the forums, he knew about Flexgate and what people are saying, didn't play it dumb. I was so thrilled with this, I'm sure a lot of us have experienced different.

Anyway, my point was that he ended up changing two items -

661-10355 Display, Space Gray £ 452.00
923-02502 eDP Flex Cable £ 8.00
S1490LL/A Hardware Repair Labor £ 69.00

Total £ 529.00

Of course, I was within warranty and there was no cost, but what's interesting is this eDP Flex Cable is being added on separately. He knew for my situation the fault could be within the display itself (i.e. the camera might be faulty) hence he changed the display too. But for folks with just a flex cable problem, maybe it will be a simple £8.00 repair for them.

This could be a very interesting solution for Apple, I don't know how this Flex Cable attaches itself to the monitor and whether it can be removed. Or whether it's the same cable that is causing 'flexgate'

What makes me wonder is if they redesigned or reconfigured the 2018 models some to make the cable more serviceable...

Wishful thinking. eDP Flex Cable should the one we are talking about here.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Complain long enough and loud enough and they'll extend the warranty and free service for this issue as well as the stuck keys. Lol---they really screwed up this butterfly keyboard. I would love to know the Apple executive that went to the mat for this keyboard design and is now regretting that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Complain long enough and loud enough and they'll extend the warranty and free service for this issue as well as the stuck keys. Lol---they really screwed up this butterfly keyboard. I would love to know the Apple executive that went to the mat for this keyboard design and is now regretting that.
The problem is Apple's repair programs only kick the can down the road. Take the keyboard repair program, it replaces the non-functioning keyboard with the same flawed butterfly keyboard. Go back a few years and the 2011 dGPU repair program where many affected people had sent the laptop in multiple times because the GPU kept failing.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I don't know if this was just marketing, but it's expected from any manufacturer to make tests like this prior to new design release.

ThinkPad's hold MIL-STD-810G military certification standard so it's not just marketing, that's more Apples game. A standard is a minimum criteria, that you will be held accountable against...

Q-6

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
The problem is Apple's repair programs only kick the can down the road. Take the keyboard repair program, it replaces the non-functioning keyboard with the same flawed butterfly keyboard. Go back a few years and the 2011 dGPU repair program where many affected people had sent the laptop in multiple times because the GPU kept failing.

Kind of like replacing a Pinto with another Pinto because the gas tank of the first one exploded :) OK, OK, I realize the Butterfly keyboard hasn't killed anyone... yet :)

sg9

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2019
ThinkPad's hold MIL-STD-810G military certification standard so it's not just marketing, that's more Apples game. A standard is a minimum criteria, that you will be held accountable against...

Q-6
I agree, but I also remember some liquid spill videos that didn't seem real to me.

sg9

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2019
Like this one? I am sure it is legit. I think Lenovo would be hung out to dry if not.

The first one. While not stated, it kind of creates an image of spill-proof design. We don't see if everything works eventually. Anyway, it's great to have the drainage system.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
The first one. While not stated, it kind of creates an image of spill-proof design. We don't see if everything works eventually. Anyway, it's great to have the drainage system.

Yeah, gothcha. They don’t show if it works the rest of the day, rest if the week, etc. supposedly the drainage system can withstand up to 16.9 oz and if it takes on much beyond that it has some sort shutdown it performs until it dries out. Wine in particular though, I think I would be skeptical of the long term prognosis without it being opened up and thoroughly cleaned out. But still, while not spill proof, the drainage system likely allows it to fair better than most.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Sorry you’re experiencing this. Makes me glad I bit the bullet and got AppleCare+ on my MBP.

This problem was what scared me into AC+. The keyboard issues I could live with, as I'm guessing that Apple will eventually end up extending the replacement program to the 2018s. The flexgate, though...that was what did it for me. $391 with tax.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
probably Lenovo wanted to keep good image liquid spill proof ThinkPad series :)

Dunno. Lenovo never claims them to be "spill proof," only "spill resistant." I guess that term is open to interpretation. But since he videotaped himself intentionally pouring water into it, they certainly could have denied an accidental damage claim :)

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
Dunno. Lenovo never claims them to be "spill proof," only "spill resistant." I guess that term is open to interpretation. But since he videotaped himself intentionally pouring water into it, they certainly could have denied an accidental damage claim :)

you are right, term spill resistant is more accurate, maybe Lenovo didn't find any traces of liquid damage on motherboard, so there is no clear connection between liquid spill and faulty motherboard, also it's not an Apple with stupid liquid sensor stickers sensitive even for pure isopropyl alcohol

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
you are right, term spill resistant is more accurate, maybe Lenovo didn't find any traces of liquid damage on motherboard, so there is no clear connection between liquid spill and faulty motherboard, also it's not an Apple with stupid liquid sensor stickers sensitive even for pure isopropyl alcohol

Yeah, the liquid sensors and the iPhone are a good example. I believe Apple claims the new iPhones to be IP67 water resistant, sealed from dust and water and can be submerged to a depth of 1 meter for 30 minutes. But then they also claim that this was tested under laboratory conditions and do not recommend you actually do this. Additionally, I believe if you don't have Apple Care+, they also won't cover it. Because after all, it isn't a guarantee, just additional protection. If those sensors are on and you don't have Apple Care+, its pretty much your problem because they never claim "waterproof."

Apple Watch similarly has a number of restrictions and conditions and Apple also goes on to state "Water resistance isn't a permanent condition and may diminish over time." I haven't look at the specifics for Lenovo, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had similar disclaimers about the "spill resistance." Not a guarantee by any means, but additional protection.

sg9

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2019
Back to the topic, can we expect some new protective case design to keep the macbook open during transport?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Like this one? I am sure it is legit. I think Lenovo would be hung out to dry if not.

It was this YT that really cemented my decision to get the X1E
[doublepost=1548761650][/doublepost]
Back to the topic, can we expect some new protective case design to keep the macbook open during transport?
What do you mean open during transport. No laptop is going to be protected if you travel with it open, its a risky proposition. I have to believe I'm not understanding your post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.