Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
One issue was fixed in 10.14.1, but some more remains when running on Intel GPUs:
1. small h.264 video have weird artefacts in fullscreen
2. random flash of unrelated image when switching from UI + video to video only in fullscreen
3. color changes in fullscreen when only the video is shown.

maddiane180

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
Has anyone else noticed video glitches when watching video full-screen in Safari on Mojave? I have a 2018 MacBook Pro 15" and I'm on the GM of Mojave, but I notice green glitches and other artifacts when playing video. I don't notice this however under Chrome.

It is happening to me on MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2017. When viewing videos in FullScreen using Safari, the screens starts to glitch. I decided to update to Mojave.. and now is the glitch is a whole lot WORSE. :mad:

Way around: Use other Browser to watch online videos... I used Chrome and it doesn't happen.

marcioveiga

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
Portugal
Now after the update when viewing Netflix with subtitles it flickers.

It’s worse for me. Even after clearing the cache.

Using Chrome...

cmdawson

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Now after the update when viewing Netflix with subtitles it flickers.

It’s worse for me. Even after clearing the cache.

Using Chrome...

Still happening for me on 10.14.1 - noticing it on Reddit fullscreen videos and others.

daveThe0nly

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
I'm also having this issue with a 2017 15" MBPr (Intel HD 630/Radeon Pro 650, Mojave 10.14.1)... While watching a fullscreen video via the integrated GPU, the screen flickers and jumps from time to time when playing a video on netflix/youtube. While watching a movie thru VLC there are visual artifacts in the middle of the screen - like a bar across which makes a tear.

Did every reset (SMC, PRAM etc.) and nothing helped...

My one year apple warranty is going to expire this month, so it makes me wonder if I should get it replaced. What do you guys think, is this a hardware issue or just a software one?

One of my friends recommended a clean instal of Mojave thru recovery.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
I'm also having this issue with a 2017 15" MBPr (Intel HD 630/Radeon Pro 650, Mojave 10.14.1)... While watching a fullscreen video via the integrated GPU, the screen flickers and jumps from time to time when playing a video on netflix/youtube. While watching a movie thru VLC there are visual artifacts in the middle of the screen - like a bar across which makes a tear.

My one year apple warranty is going to expire this month, so it makes me wonder if I should get it replaced. What do you guys think, is this a hardware issue or just a software one?

It's a software issue, see my previous post on the issues that are still in 10.14.1

VLC issue might be unrelated.

marcioveiga

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
Portugal

I also did a clean install and that didn’t work.
It’s abvious a Safari problem.

Need to wait for Apple to address this issue.

msadek_97

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
Can confirm it’s most likely a software issue. Took my MacBook Pro 15” 2018 in to the apple store and a genius had a look at it and I was advised it’s a software issue being looked into.

Not happy about it since it’s been like this since day one of my purchase (release date of the new MacBook Pro).

I really wouldn’t care about the issue, the only thing is, is that it is causing my eyes to strain and give me a headache.

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Same here, Netflix vertically flickers when menu/subtitles disappear in Safari on full screen. TUrning off graphic switching works as workaround, but looking forward to a fix...

10.14.1 did not resolve the issue for me.

Einkoro

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Canada
Also far worse now under 10.14.1 and Safari for me with netflix subtitles enabled. The image jumps vertically every few seconds stretching off the screen and back.

gelazari

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
Do we have an official answer from Apple for the issue? I have had 3 replacement MacBook Pro's all of them having exactly the same issue. As all of you I do NOT want a device which does not work as intended and instead I have to do workarounds and stuff.

Thank you

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Do we have an official answer from Apple for the issue? I have had 3 replacement MacBook Pro's all of them having exactly the same issue. As all of you I do NOT want a device which does not work as intended and instead I have to do workarounds and stuff.

Thank you
You can get as many replacements as you want: that won't solve the problem. We need to wait for an OS update with a fix.

Friend of mine has the same issue since upgrading to Mojave on a 2014 MacBook Air... so it's not even just MacBook Pro that are having this issue.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
The bugs are in the Intel gpu drivers probably. If enable the discrete gpu (if you have one on your Mac) everything works well.

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
The bugs are in the Intel gpu drivers probably. If enable the discrete gpu (if you have one on your Mac) everything works well.
that's true, but I would suspect the issue to occur in other browsers too however if that was the case. But it doesn't appear outside of safari.

gelazari

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
The thing is that the glitch appeared on the Apple Diagnostics Test on both Macbook Pros.....

gelazari

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
You can get as many replacements as you want: that won't solve the problem. We need to wait for an OS update with a fix.

Friend of mine has the same issue since upgrading to Mojave on a 2014 MacBook Air... so it's not even just MacBook Pro that are having this issue.

The thing is that the glitch appeared on the Apple Diagnostics Test on both of my Macbook Pros and furthermore, the issue does not appear on colleagues MacBook Pro's with Mojave. How do you explain that?

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
How does it appear on Apple Diagnostic test, exactly?

Is your friends MacBook the same model as your friends? Are you sure your issue is the same as described in this thread?

Issue described here is universal across number of models and appeared after OS upgrade.

gelazari

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
It's exactly the same issue I'm having only on Safari. Issue seems to be universal but I doubt it. Although the MacBook Pro passed the diagnostics test, the glitch appeared during the test. A colleague with a MacBook Pro sitting next to me does not have the issue while on full screen Safari.

KatPR

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2018
Does anyone has an idea on how to solve this? I’m still having the same problem. And it’s happening while watching Hulu, Netflix or Amazon streaming videos. It’s annoying to be watching something and then seeing a weird tear or glitch all over your video screen.

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
I had weird Netflix full-screen glitching too, but after the 10.14.2 update, it seems ok now from brief testing. This is on a 2018 Macbook Air. What it was doing before the update was it would show an incorrect random frame from time to time. Really weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.