Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2018
Hey all. Hardware: 2017 15" MBP14,3. Integrated GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630. Discrete GPU: Radeon Pro 560. macOS 10.14.2 (18C54), Safari 12.0.2. "Automatic graphic switching": ON (using integrated GPU)

Just 3 days ago updated to 10.14.2 Mojave from 10.13.6. High Sierra. Never had this issue on High Sierra.

Problem: While streaming Netflix in full screen, screen flickers randomly (top and bottom of video image seem to enlarge slightly), but this always happens when the on screen control bar automatically disappears, and when subtitles disappear from screen. For me it takes a minute to start happening, but the good thing it is always reproducible.

This does not happen when "Automatic graphic switching" is off (using discrete GPU). Does not happen when not in full screen. Also does not happen in my other browser Firefox in full screen. And this did not happen in High Sierra for me. This does happen in a few other websites.

All others here having this problem please state your hardware and your GPUs and OS version. Please if you have apple care, submit a trouble ticket and please post that number here. ALSO, please submit a bug report here: bugreport.apple.com. Then report bug number here. I will submit these soon and report back here.

Please, please state all your hardware and software information in your profile/personal information/about you so you do not have to rewrite every time you respond. And PLEASE submit AppleCare and Bug reports. We can wine all we want, but if apple isn't getting inundated with reports then they will not respond with a fix.

Thanks for community help and hope to solve this soon.

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2018
UPDATE:

Filed AppleCare case #100699122551 and Bug report #46580730. They know about this issue. To get a fix everyone who has this issue must file these reports. Moaning on this thread will do nothing to fix this very specific issue. There is no Terminal command or OS manipulation that will permanently correct the GPU glitch. Please file reports and post your report numbers back here. Thank you

abn5x

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2018
can confirm that flickering still occurs on Integrated graphics, and is unbearable on low res streaming videos.. Switching to discrete graphics solves all of them.. Latest Mojave, Macbook Pro 2018

MacDonaldTrump

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
I have screen flickering on 2 new MacBook Pro Vega, i9.
Mine only occurs when HDMI monitor is attached. It is horrid, only occurring on MacBook Pro screen, not the external. Have tried new cables, adaptors etc jumped through apple support SMC resets, re installs. First model was swapped over, new case opened for the second. I have a heap of video screenshots of it occurring. Seems like jumbled graphics flicking up quickly.

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2018
can confirm that flickering still occurs on Integrated graphics, and is unbearable on low res streaming videos.. Switching to discrete graphics solves all of them.. Latest Mojave, Macbook Pro 2018

abn5x even without paid AppleCare if you have a 2018 MPB you should still be on one year Customer support. I know it is a hassle, but can you please go through Apple Care support and file a case. You will need to get through the first tier of callers and do what they ask to get you to second tier, who will provide you with email communication and links to download sysdiagnose files. I also had to take a video with my phone while Netflix was running, as video capture on the MBP will not work for digital rights reasons.

To get past the first tier fast, they will ask you to set up a new "Guest" account and try from there, they will also probably ask to start up in safe boot mode and try from there. Tell them you have done all this already and all the other things they ask so you can get to second tier quickly. First tier will not be able to solve this problem. If you can do a bug report also that would be great. Please report your case and bug numbers back here. Apple must get knowledge from numerous people of this happening before they do anything about it. Thank you
[doublepost=1545500045][/doublepost]
I have screen flickering on 2 new MacBook Pro Vega, i9.
Mine only occurs when HDMI monitor is attached. It is horrid, only occurring on MacBook Pro screen, not the external. Have tried new cables, adaptors etc jumped through apple support SMC resets, re installs. First model was swapped over, new case opened for the second. I have a heap of video screenshots of it occurring. Seems like jumbled graphics flicking up quickly.

MacDonaldTrump the GPU glitch in this thread is extremely specific and does not pertain to external monitors and only occurs while full screen Netflix and a few other video streaming sites in Safari with the Integrated GPU is being used. Can you please start another thread with your specific external monitor issue. You will attract the right people that are searching for video glitches while using external monitor. Thank you

abn5x

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2018
abn5x even without paid AppleCare if you have a 2018 MPB you should still be on one year Customer support. I know it is a hassle, but can you please go through Apple Care support and file a case. You will need to get through the first tier of callers and do what they ask to get you to second tier, who will provide you with email communication and links to download sysdiagnose files. I also had to take a video with my phone while Netflix was running, as video capture on the MBP will not work for digital rights reasons.

To get past the first tier fast, they will ask you to set up a new "Guest" account and try from there, they will also probably ask to start up in safe boot mode and try from there. Tell them you have done all this already and all the other things they ask so you can get to second tier quickly. First tier will not be able to solve this problem. If you can do a bug report also that would be great. Please report your case and bug numbers back here. Apple must get knowledge from numerous people of this happening before they do anything about it. Thank you
[doublepost=1545500045][/doublepost]

MacDonaldTrump the GPU glitch in this thread is extremely specific and does not pertain to external monitors and only occurs while full screen Netflix and a few other video streaming sites in Safari with the Integrated GPU is being used. Can you please start another thread with your specific external monitor issue. You will attract the right people that are searching for video glitches while using external monitor. Thank you
did all of this, and today I filled the bug report, let’s hope apple takes notice ‍♂️‍♂️

Gerardd

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2019
Same issue here. I was able to reproduce it on Chrome too with Netflix and Youtube fullscreen. I also have noticed a new pattern of glitching where the color temperature fluctuates (True Tone is off). This is all gone when I'm on the discrete graphic card Radeon Pro 555X.

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2018
Same issue here. I was able to reproduce it on Chrome too with Netflix and Youtube fullscreen. I also have noticed a new pattern of glitching where the color temperature fluctuates (True Tone is off). This is all gone when I'm on the discrete graphic card Radeon Pro 555X.

Gerardd can you please post here your hardware model identifier from System Information, and software info: macOS version and build, and Safari version.

Also can you please let us know if you can reproduce on Safari in YouTube or if it just in Chrome. I cannot reproduce in Youtube on Safari and I will not install Chrome. And can you provide the link to a Youtube video that is producing the glitch. I'm wondering if the Youtube glitch only happens in Chrome.

Since you have TrueTone and the 555X, I assume you are running a 2018 MBP which means you have AppleCare. Please if you can, take the time to file an AppleCare case with second tier.

I have just received confirmation from my AppleCare rep, and they are aware and working on this issue and my case is remaining open. I will keep forwarding them more specifics as they arrive here. Please report to them, the more they know about it, the more they will divert resources to solve. Thanks

my_mac_flickers_wtf_apple

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2019
So do we think it is an issue with mojave or the MBP 2018s? We can definitely rule out the Vegas as it seems the other 2018s and 13 inch MBPs also have this issue.

Is it perhaps true tone or the T2 chip then? I haven't seen as many issues/reports as the older MBPs but I do see some people complaining that their 2015-2017s have screen flickers too - but they may be unrelated.

There's just so many variables involved + it is difficult to reproduce + there are different variants of screen flickering that it is difficult to diagnose. The Apple team definitely knows about this though as my genius mentioned the variants before I told him.

Strangely enough I don't have any issues playing videos/youtube fullscreen via youtube or chrome on my MBP2018 Vega 20 but I do get very rare flickers on my MBP monitor only.

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
So do we think it is an issue with mojave or the MBP 2018s? We can definitely rule out the Vegas as it seems the other 2018s and 13 inch MBPs also have this issue.

[...]

Strangely enough I don't have any issues playing videos/youtube fullscreen via youtube or chrome on my MBP2018 Vega 20 but I do get very rare flickers on my MBP monitor only.

No, the issue has been observed on range of macbooks, including MacBook Pros from 2016, MacBook Airs etc. so nothing to do with T2 or TrueTone.

The issue seem to occur only when INTEGRATED GPU is being used, so it doesn't occur when external display is connected (external display always triggers dedicated GPU).

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2018

Is it perhaps true tone or the T2 chip then? I haven't seen as many issues/reports as the older MBPs but I do see some people complaining that their 2015-2017s have screen flickers too - but they may be unrelated.

There's just so many variables involved + it is difficult to reproduce + there are different variants of screen flickering that it is difficult to diagnose. The Apple team definitely knows about this though as my genius mentioned the variants before I told him.

and... the glitch is reproducible every single time for me. I think you may have a different bug than the one that is very specific in this thread...

my_mac_flickers_wtf_apple

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2019
No, the issue has been observed on range of macbooks, including MacBook Pros from 2016, MacBook Airs etc. so nothing to do with T2 or TrueTone.

The issue seem to occur only when INTEGRATED GPU is being used, so it doesn't occur when external display is connected (external display always triggers dedicated GPU).

Weird, my MBP flickers when connected to an external monitor (90% of my usage) - but I find it almost always when I am using a browser it happens (browser can be on MBP screen or monitor). Genius kind of mentioned there's a huge range of flickering issues and mine was one of them (this full screen thing is too). Also some people are getting diagonal video output - WTF APPLE!

cmont

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
Montreal, QC
This occurs systematically for me on my 2018 macbook, fullscreen, Netflix, Safari, when Subtitles are on. If I turn off subtitles, it does not happen. On Chrome, with subtitles on, it does not happen.
I would verify the subtitles on pomhub but I cannot find them!

Alch3mist

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Right behind you.
I am noticing flickering on my refurb. MBP 2018 15 I7. It occurred while I was watching Solo on Netflix and The Hobbit (1&2) rented from apple. I am using Safari 12.0.2 and Mojave 10.14.2. I don’t know how to switch or isolate graphic cards. Currently it looks like it’s using the Intel 630.

I will contact AppleCare tomorrow or Monday.

Do any of you have updates?

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2018
I am noticing flickering on my refurb. MBP 2018 15 I7. It occurred while I was watching Solo on Netflix and The Hobbit (1&2) rented from apple. I am using Safari 12.0.2 and Mojave 10.14.2. I don’t know how to switch or isolate graphic cards. Currently it looks like it’s using the Intel 630.

Hey Alch3mist, go to Apple menu/System Preferences/Energy Saver then uncheck Automatic graphics switching. You can see what GPU is being used by going to Apple menu/About This Mac/Displays.

The only hope now for a fix, is in a Mojave update. 10.14.3 will probably drop in a week or two (they are on beta 4 presently)... But please AppleCare it up. Thx

Reactions: Alch3mist

Alch3mist

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Right behind you.
Hey Alch3mist, go to Apple menu/System Preferences/Energy Saver then uncheck Automatic graphics switching. You can see what GPU is being used by going to Apple menu/About This Mac/Displays.

The only hope now for a fix, is in a Mojave update. 10.14.3 will probably drop in a week or two (they are on beta 4 presently)... But please AppleCare it up. Thx
Done. Thanks for that.

cmont

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
Montreal, QC

[doublepost=1547956430][/doublepost]Do you have subtitles on? If so, try to turn them on.
Also, you can try chrome for watching Netflix.

Gerardd

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2019
Gerardd can you please post here your hardware model identifier from System Information, and software info: macOS version and build, and Safari version.

Also can you please let us know if you can reproduce on Safari in YouTube or if it just in Chrome. I cannot reproduce in Youtube on Safari and I will not install Chrome. And can you provide the link to a Youtube video that is producing the glitch. I'm wondering if the Youtube glitch only happens in Chrome.

Since you have TrueTone and the 555X, I assume you are running a 2018 MBP which means you have AppleCare. Please if you can, take the time to file an AppleCare case with second tier.

I have just received confirmation from my AppleCare rep, and they are aware and working on this issue and my case is remaining open. I will keep forwarding them more specifics as they arrive here. Please report to them, the more they know about it, the more they will divert resources to solve. Thanks

Late reply. I was trying to reproduce the glitching in all previously stated situations on latest updated software. I read this whole thread and really want to get to the bottom of it. And I just reported it to Apple.

This is my environment:
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1
macOS: 10.14.2 (18C54)
Safari: Version 12.0.2 (14606.3.4)
Chrome: Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)
True Tone: off

The glitching is still occurring. I have included a sample video recorded on my iPhone so we can track the different patterns of glitching: https://streamable.com/kloe8. I was not able to capture the "color temperature glitching" I have mentioned before, but it is still happening.

I tried playing Netflix in safe mode thinking maybe it's a software issue, but the necessary plugins were not loaded (Silverlight).

I'm starting to think this is the price Apple set for preserving battery life vs. flawless video playback...

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Just found this thread now... I always had this issue since High Sierra and found out it only happens with the Intel integrated GPU, it's funny how it doesn't happen in any other browser besides Safari. o_O

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2018
Bummer, confirmed not fixed in 10.14.3. Will contact my AppleCare advisor on this case. Maybe next update... :rolleyes:

Reactions: JakeD68

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
For me youtube fullscreen flickering is back on safari 12.0.3, on safari 12.0.2 never had it...

Reactions: JakeD68

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2018
**** UPDATE
My AppleCare advisor got back to me and has communicated with engineering. They are aware that 10.14.3 did not contain a fix for the known issue, but that it is still in the works for a future update. Please all, keep the bug reports and AppleCare cases rolling in.

Reactions: Gerardd and JakeD68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.