Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 00.08.35.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 00.10.18.png

Edit: Desktop & Documents was turned off by default.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
View attachment 635666

View attachment 635669

Edit: Desktop & Documents was turned off by default.

Interesting, and a bit of a bummer. I'd love to sync my Documents folder to iCloud, but NOT my Desktop folder.

Also, if you could do a test for us; if you enable that feature, do the Desktop and Documents folders stay in their normal location? Can you interact with them from the terminal (such as cp or mv a file to or from them) and have the changes reflect in the cloud?

Bah, I should stop bugging ya'll and just install the public beta next month. But I'm really curious about how they implemented this.

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
You'll have to wait for an unauthorized download to become available now, or for the Public Beta in July. Those are unfortunately the only options if you're not a paid dev.

Or wait for the public beta, which will be available in July. I'll probably install in on a secondary machine just to play around (and potentially getting the Traditional Chinese dictionary if its there)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Yes, it could potentially be very serious. I wonder if they simply just removed the option from GUI and you can still manually override Gatekeeper. Can someone do a test?

I've always kept Gatekeeper on "Identified developer" and just right-click open, and that "signs" the app in a sense so it'll run. It's actually a cool feature because it can detect if the app has been tampered with after that first run.

Hanterdro

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
I've always kept Gatekeeper on "Identified developer" and just right-click open, and that "signs" the app in a sense so it'll run. It's actually a cool feature because it can detect if the app has been tampered with after that first run.

Me too. As long right-click open is still working no problem for me :)

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yes, it could potentially be very serious. I wonder if they simply just removed the option from GUI and you can still manually override Gatekeeper. Can someone do a test?
I have mine set in El Cap currently to MAS and Identified Developers, but I can still force something to open with a right click. I doubt that will have gone, though I suppose anything is possible...

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

bryce13950

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2016
There was a note in the release notes about the security settings. I think they are just reworking a couple things with it. Maybe the option has just been temporarily removed due to larger bugs??

Security Preference Pane

The “Open Anyway” button does not work.
Workaround: Users can Control + Click on an application and choose “Open” as a workaround.

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Only thing I can't get working is PiP, the button doesn't seem to exist anywhere, I hope this isn't limited to the newer machines with next gen iProcessors.
It works only on certain videos are my experience. I get the icon and it works great from the iTunes Movie Trailer website (http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/) but ironically I can't use the feature on the iOS 10 demo videos and on the WWCDC keynote video.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
If "Desktop & Document Folder" is inactive we still have iCloud Drive in Finder, correct?

Yes, looks like before.

Interesting, and a bit of a bummer. I'd love to sync my Documents folder to iCloud, but NOT my Desktop folder.

Also, if you could do a test for us; if you enable that feature, do the Desktop and Documents folders stay in their normal location? Can you interact with them from the terminal (such as cp or mv a file to or from them) and have the changes reflect in the cloud?

Bah, I should stop bugging ya'll and just install the public beta next month. But I'm really curious about how they implemented this.

They really should have separated Desktop and Documents. But it's the first beta. They can still change many things.

It seems they stay in their normal location. They are just visible on iCloud Drive too but show the same path as in the first picture when I open them from there. Sorry, I am not very common with the Terminal commands but can normally go there with "cd desktop" and see them with "ls".

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 00.22.23.png Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 00.22.50.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 00.35.28.png

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It works only on certain videos are my experience. I get the icon and it works great from the iTunes Movie Trailer website (http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/) but ironically I can't use the feature on the iOS 10 demo videos and on the WWCDC keynote video.
Wonderful, sounds like this is going to be like it is on the iPad, where you can't even use it with the most popular video app there is, YouTube!
[doublepost=1465857538][/doublepost]
Yes, looks like before.

They really should have separated Desktop and Documents. But it's the first beta. They can still change many things.

It seems they stay in their normal location. They are just visible on iCloud Drive too but show the same path as in the first picture when I open them from there. Sorry, I am not very common with the Terminal commands but can normally go there with "cd desktop" and see them with "ls".

View attachment 635679 View attachment 635680
View attachment 635687

Thanks for this! I'm curious why all the app icons in iCloud Drive are greyed out though.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
So, when I want to turn it off again, this message appears:

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 00.38.24.png

[doublepost=1465857695][/doublepost]
Thanks for this! I'm curious why all the app icons in iCloud Drive are greyed out though.

They are hidden and I made all hidden files visible. It has been always like that. You can't access those folders. They look empty and are also from some iPhone apps. I think there are just settings stored.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
I just turned off iCloud Drive completely and selected "Keep copy" for the files on the Desktop and Documents, but they are both empty now. o_O

But I had nothing stored in Documents and the files on my Desktop were not important.

I don't really like this new function... :oops:

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
I just turned off iCloud Drive completely and selected "Keep copy" for the files on the Desktop and Documents, but they are both empty now. o_O

But I had nothing stored in Documents and the files on my Desktop were not important.

I don't really like this new function... :oops:

I agree. To be honest, it seems rather confusing to me right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.