Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Just updated to the latest beta, and although iCloud Photos seems to be working (when I open the app), it will not stay selected in iCloud preferences pane. When I check the box for iCloud photo, it says "Analyzing library" (or sth) for a few seconds, and then the box un-checks. Anyone else? I have tried a restart.

Reactions: fischersd

gemoritzt

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
Germany
Just updated to the latest beta, and although iCloud Photos seems to be working (when I open the app), it will not stay selected in iCloud preferences pane. When I check the box for iCloud photo, it says "Analyzing library" (or sth) for a few seconds, and then the box un-checks. Anyone else? I have tried a restart.

Same issue here!

TheDoctorX

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2015
But iCloud Photos still works? I mean if you try to take a new picture on iPhone, picture appear in Photos on Mac after uploading to iCloud right? Just try to make sure before I update to the newest version.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
So it's look like that it's just a visual bug, that checkbox don't stay checked?
Heh. Well, I haven't played with it enough to see if it actually toggles it every time, despite the visual appearance. :)
Mine was enabled before the upgrade, appeared clear after the upgrade and I've tried clicking on it a few times to try to get it to stick.
...goes to test that
Edit: Yep, it isn't a toggle. You can't disable it. Checkbox remains clear.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
I don't know if it is just me I've had a lot of the same problems continue throughout the beta period. TextEdit still crashes routinely and Messages still beachballs upon launch.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I don't know if it is just me I've had a lot of the same problems continue throughout the beta period. TextEdit still crashes routinely and Messages still beachballs upon launch.

No crashing problems with messages here. Never use textedit so can't comment.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
No problems with textedit here either.
How much memory are you running with? Also - maybe you're having networking issues, as both of those apps use cloud connections.

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Just paired my Powerbeats Wireless with no problem. Now, playback was choppy - but that could just be a low battery in the Beats. Charging them now, will try again in a bit.

Yeah, mine paired after a few goes. I unpaired them because of the choppy feedback through Spotify and iTunes. Re-paired and still same issue...

Lights on the side say full battery so my thinking is it's a Sierra problem. Cable plugged into the beats and the Mac work fine.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Yeah, mine paired after a few goes. I unpaired them because of the choppy feedback through Spotify and iTunes. Re-paired and still same issue...

Lights on the side say full battery so my thinking is it's a Sierra problem. Cable plugged into the beats and the Mac work fine.
Definitely sounds worthy of reporting!

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
I seem to have a problem with sierra, in that under accessibility, mouse / track pad, the ignore trackpad is check, but my trackpad still works when I have a mouse connected. deselecting the option then reselecting the option disables the trackpad when the mouse is connected. As soon as I reboot or startup the Mac the same issue happens, where I have to go under accessibility mouse / track pad and deselect, reselect to have the trackpad disabled when the mouse is connected.

I have an Apple wireless mouse.

Any idea on this issue?

Suspended
Jun 23, 2016
New York and Berlin
Just paired my Powerbeats Wireless with no problem. Now, playback was choppy - but that could just be a low battery in the Beats. Charging them now, will try again in a bit.

This is a long standing issue with Mac's and OS X. I posted about it in this thread as I've been working in-house on the matter since we changed from separate Broadcom wifi and bluetooth chips to a combined Broadcom WiFi ac + BTLE 4.x chip ~2012-2013 that have been used in all Mac's since. It's one of the reasons many experience(d) intermittent wireless connectivity. Apple engineers finally admitted it's OS based for many reasons, most important of which is no issues running Windows via Bootcamp on the same hardware/systems (i.e. kext/driver related).

Copy of my post/explanation:

Oh yeah. I can go back as far as 10.8 as I (and many others) have been working with Apple Engineers on open bugs involving bluetooth and wifi/ethernet.

Quick summary:

Apple switched from separate WiFi and Bluetooth Broadcom chips to a single Broadcom WiFi ac + BTLE 4.x PCIe chip ~2012-13. Around this time many Mac owners experienced well documented internet connectivity issues. BT A2DP Audio kicks in and out when using Bluetooth HID's and/or copying files between networked systems (AFP, SMB, etc). My 2013 Mac Pro6,1 8-Core 32GB dual D700 GPU's still experiences it running the current 10.12 beta (Beta 6). It was slightly better in previous beta's but since beta 5 it worsened. Don't try using iOS and macOS copy and paste cause it will f*** up your system.

I've run Windows 10 on all current gen Mac's with this Broadcom card and OS X 10.8+ with no issues, smooth as silk. Finally, Apple engineers have admitted it's kext/driver related as they never fully implemented and ironed out issues between iOS and OS X Handoff and Continuity, wireless and bluetooth cross-interference, and current/proper A2DP BT audio. It's amazing that my $6k+ current gen Mac Pro experiences these issues running OS X but not in Windows.

Absolutely file this bug with Apple. It needs more attention as they're dragging their feet with annual OS updates across their product line, seemingly more concerned about marketing features than remedying open and acknowledged core OS matters. Also make sure to keep wireless devices/routers away from any bluetooth speakers your Mac is using and use Ethernet Cat 6 cables if you are able to attach your Mac directly to your router and turn off WiFi. If all else fails, try restarting your Mac and reset NVRAM and SMC (doing so will reengage SIP, so if you have it disabled boot into your recovery partition - option R keys held during boot - and open Terminal and enter csrutil disable to remove it again), then reconnecting/repairing bluetooth audio devices.

Aside from that, it's a crapshoot. I hope OS 10.12 finally fixes this issue, especially with iOS 10 and 10.12 "Copy and Paste" as it only worsens matters.

Reactions: 0958400 and Kettil

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
This is a long standing issue with Mac's and OS X. I posted about it in this thread as I've been working in-house on the matter since we changed from separate Broadcom wifi and bluetooth chips to a combined Broadcom WiFi ac + BTLE 4.x chip ~2012-2013 that have been used in all Mac's since. It's one of the reasons many experience(d) intermittent wireless connectivity. Apple engineers finally admitted it's OS based for many reasons, most important of which is no issues running Windows via Bootcamp on the same hardware/systems (i.e. kext/driver related).

Copy of my post/explanation:
Thanks for that - craptastic! :(. So, unlikely we'll see any relief until Apple gets their head out of their ass and fixes their drivers.

Suspended
Jun 23, 2016
New York and Berlin
Thanks for that - craptastic! :(. So, unlikely we'll see any relief until Apple gets their head out of their ass and fixes their drivers.

This issue surprised me, especially as it's been opened as far back as 10.8.2 (late 2012-early 2013 when the hardware change was made). First it was wireless connectivity followed by bluetooth HID's then A2DP audio. My B&O H8's, S3's, and other bluetooth audio devices are horrible using OS X. It's especially prevalent when moving/copying files via SMB/AFP/etc on local networks to servers and/or other systems, sometimes bluetooth HID's kick it in and out.

Apple engineering began with the basics, isolating the issue as many factors were involved (interference from nearby routers/devices, third party software/audio kext's, etc). It wasn't until those experiencing these consistent bugs reported none while cold booting into Windows on the same systems. Finally Apple engineering admitted the kexts/drivers have not been properly updated. I found this most troublesome as Broadcom and Apple have been partners for years across a multitude of product lines.

On the latest beta I have noticed it is slightly improved but I gave up on BTLE audio on my S3's and jacked in on my nMac Pro6,1. It's inexcusable for a system that cost $6k+ and the average Mac isn't inexpensive, but more so that it's an open bug for the past four OS releases. The best we can do is file as many bug reports and get on engineering to fix the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: fischersd

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but I'm really confused.

Just installed Sierra beta on my spare Macbook to play around with it a bit. The Photos app doesn't have any of the built in albums! Recently Deleted, Screenshots, Selfies, etc... they're all missing! I looked through the menus and configuration and can't find any way to enable them.

Did they move this functionality? I can't find any other threads or posts on this so I'm wondering if it's just me. o_O

cefullersc

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2014
Colorado
Heh. Well, I haven't played with it enough to see if it actually toggles it every time, despite the visual appearance. :)
Mine was enabled before the upgrade, appeared clear after the upgrade and I've tried clicking on it a few times to try to get it to stick.
...goes to test that
Edit: Yep, it isn't a toggle. You can't disable it. Checkbox remains clear.

Same issue here. I have posted a bug report. The sharing and stream options are checked in Photos but not in the iCloud preferences and it does not work. If you take a picture with your iPhone it will show up on all your devices except the Mac running Sierra beta 7.

Drtung

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2015
"Add this image to Photos" command in safari not working, did anyone have the same problem?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Apple very definitely broke some iCloud bits in this release (or possibly in the back end...and the release of DP8/PB7 was incidental).

Back in this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cloudphotosconfiguration-quit-unexpectedly.1991325/, MacGizmo suggests resetting your keychain will fix the issues whey were having with Photos configuration. Not sure that would fix everything that seems to be wrong with Apple's cloud.

I had my unlocking with Apple Watch suddenly stop working (was working the night before, go to bed, come back, boom, it's broken). So, if something changed on my system, it was an update that Apple delivered to it. And/or possible iCloud changes as well that are causing some grief.

Pouring through the logs, trying to figure out why it wasn't working, I saw all kinds of cloud errors. I saw "IDS device not cloud paired" errors for a few of my devices, so logged them out and back into iCloud and that repaired their connections....except for my MacBook5,2 (2009). Could not get iCloud to like its connection no matter how many times I toggled its login. So I left it logged out. For each system, you have two log lines. It turns out the second one is from your Apple ID's systems authorized to provide authentication for two-factor authentication. It wasn't until I deleted the MacBook from there that the log line went away.

But, then a new issue. Deleting that one system kicked my other two Mac's out of iCloud. The MacBook Pro I just rebooted, fine, it re-authenticated and it's back in. But the Mac Mini I had to actually re-enter my iCloud credentials to get the connection back. (The Mac Mini is also still on El Capitan - so that explains the inconsistency). But, why would my other two Mac's be invalidated by removing a completely different system? (yes, I'll be submitting a bug report for this one). The iOS devices didn't skip a beat.

And, so everyone's aware, all of your devices that you have registered have to have valid iCloud connections (they can be off, but their credentials can't be invalidated) for the "Unlocking with Apple Watch" feature to work. These checks happened every time I went to use the feature - so it's part of Apple's security check that all of your devices must be secure for this feature to be allowed.

(Still digging to see why this feature stopped working....it seems Apple did something that my Bluetooth radio is no longer scanning for the watch. Need to figure out what they did).

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
One more bit on the devices being kicked out of iCloud. You also have to (to restore Continuity / SMS forwarding) disable and re-enable iMessage in messaging preferences on your other devices. The two mac's were each creating their own iMessage thread. It wasn't fixed until I disabled iMessage on the iPhone that they were consolidated. (also did a logout/login for FaceTime). The iPad had to be logged back in to iMessage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.