Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
Ex member, MacVidCards, has a flashed 4,1 mac Pro and successfully installed macOS Sierra.

View attachment 635747

Lou

So my hunch about the AMD9500Controller.Kext was right. According to netkas:
amd drivers has new amd9500Controller.kext which is for polaris gpus (0x67E01002 0x67FF1002 0x67C01002 0x67DF1002)

amdRadeonX4000.kext has new graphics accelerator – AMDBaffinGraphicsAccelerator (Polaris 11) (0x67E01002 0x67FF1002 0x67EF1002)

still no fiji accele support, Polaris 10 only framebuffer support, Polaris 11 has full support – apple is working on some new macs with Polaris 11 included, AMD today announced new cards as well, RX460 (P11 based), RX470/RX480 (P10 based)

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
The only time it really hasn't happened is when a major shift in architectural requirements has occurred. This happened with Leopard, which requires a G4, Snow Leopard requiring an Intel processor, and Lion requiring full 64 bit processors. Aside from that, there's usually a way, even though in some cases you can only maybe stretch generation past the newest official one. My Blackbook(late '07) is running Mountain Lion, but I've been strongly encourage to not attempt beyond there.
For nearly a decade we've seen very little architectural change. That combined with a slowing pace of increasing processing power compared to decades past, and we just don't see "obsolete hardware" as quickly as we used to and even old systems are "hackable".

As to the previous comparisons with Windows 10 on very old hardware: I am running Win 10 on an 11-12 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop, an M115 with a 1.6 GHz Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) CPU and less than 256MB of VRAM (dual booted with Ubuntu). And it runs surprisingly well for a lot of things (even YouTube video is decent). So yeah, when hardware progress is slowing and the underlying architecture isn't changing much you can still do this. What will ultimately drive this old laptop to end-of-life is its 32-bitness.

The difference is that Microsoft is not (for the most part) a company selling devices to run the software, they are selling software (despite giving Windows 10 away to almost everyone). They have less of a vested interest in creating artificial "time bombs" to stop capable machines from running it. And yet, when MS decides to no longer develop anything to run on 32 bit architectures, yeah, game over for my old Toshiba, but it's 11-12 years or more and it's an understandable decision based on actual hardware (not age) considerations.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
No worries…. Can't see anything of significancy benefit in Sierra from my point of view. Mountain Lion running on my early 2009 Mac Mini is fine for me, and is likely to remain so for a couple or three years.

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
No worries…. Can't see anything of significancy benefit in Sierra from my point of view. Mountain Lion running on my early 2009 Mac Mini is fine for me, and is likely to remain so for a couple or three years.
I'd be fine with Mountain Lion if not for the loss of security updates. I've considered rolling my early 2009 Mini back to Mavericks but it's going to lose security updates soon as well.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
In all honesty, I don't really care for Sierra... The features that have been introduced don't really benefit me at all, as I rarely use Siri, or any form of Continuity... I guess app compatibility is the only reason I'd upgrade, but El Cap does fine for me

Reactions: Micky Do

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Sorry, I was too busy wondering what you will all do with obsolete hardware. I mean, you won't get Siri so you have

You don't understand that once you loose software support than things become incompatible and issues arise. There is no technical reason to drop these macs. Just apple showing what a bunch of bloody hypocrites they are.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Anyone else figured out how to get Sierra on the 2009 MacBook Pros? It's really crappy of Apple to support the 2009 MacBook with a slower processor and the same GPU then the 2009 Pros like mine. The mid-2009 MacBook Pro 13" has the SAME EXACT specs as the late 2009 MacBook.

Anyway, I have tried editing the supported machines plist file and replacing the Boot.efi file from an ElCap install and have gotten it to boot about 5/8ths of the way but then it switches to a prohibited sign (already better then just getting a straight up prohibited when selected from the boot manager). Any one have any other ideas I should try?

Reactions: Siannath

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Anyone else figured out how to get Sierra on the 2009 MacBook Pros? It's really crappy of Apple to support the 2009 MacBook with a slower processor and the same GPU then the 2009 Pros like mine. The mid-2009 MacBook Pro 13" has the SAME EXACT specs as the late 2009 MacBook.

Anyway, I have tried editing the supported machines plist file and replacing the Boot.efi file from an ElCap install and have gotten it to boot about 5/8ths of the way but then it switches to a prohibited sign (already better then just getting a straight up prohibited when selected from the boot manager). Any one have any other ideas I should try?

What happens if you install via firewire or install in a different mac and move the HDD over?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
So I replaced the Sierra Boot.efi files and got just as far so the Boot.efi seems to be OK with the unsupported 09's at least.

i'm really not knowledgeable about these things, but what does that mean for getting it working on older machines? Is it a kext issue or something causing the prohibition sign?

The boot.efi working sounds good though... considering I remember all the issues with 10.8 and unsupported macs with the boot.efi.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
i'm really not knowledgeable about these things, but what does that mean for getting it working on older machines? Is it a kext issue or something causing the prohibition sign?

The boot.efi working sounds good though... considering I remember all the issues with 10.8 and unsupported macs with the boot.efi.

That's what I am still trying to figure out. I fixed all the kexts with my machine's board ID and model ID, no dice though. I'm not really good at this kinda stuff either, but I know enough that I decided to take a crack at it. I'm more of hardware guy honestly.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States

What Boot.efi did you replace the original with. Did you edit the OSInstall.mpkg?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
What Boot.efi did you replace the original with. Did you edit the OSInstall.mpkg?

I replaced the original Sierra Boot.efi with an ElCap Installer one. I later switched it back to stock Sierra wondering if that might be the issue. Didn't change anything. I didn't edit the OSInstall.mpkg but I did replace it with the one from ElCap.

EDIT: It appears people have been able to get the 3,1 MacPros running Sierra. Seems it was easier then the MacBook Pros.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I replaced the original Sierra Boot.efi with an ElCap Installer one. I later switched it back to stock Sierra wondering if that might be the issue. Didn't change anything. I didn't edit the OSInstall.mpkg but I did replace it with the one from ElCap.
I don't think the Boot.efi and OSInstall.mpkg are interchangeable with El Capitan. The Bootloader specifically changes with every OS a few lines in OSInstall.mpkg are added to address things like new features which if not there could cause the installer to fail.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I don't think the Boot.efi and OSInstall.mpkg are interchangeable with El Capitan. The Bootloader specifically changes with every OS a few lines in OSInstall.mpkg are added to address things like new features which if not there could cause the installer to fail.

I'm not partially knowledgeable about editing the bootloader and install packages. I would appreciate a little guidance if you don't mind. :)

EDIT: Thinking about it, I installed a fully untouched copy onto an SSD, and yes I did mess with the Boot.efis but switched them back. Still having the same problem.
[doublepost=1465877885][/doublepost]Ok hopefully this helps a little bit. I restarted into Verbose mode and the last thing(s) the machine spit out was this:

IMG_4230.jpg

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
This is from my guide for modifying the installer for Yosemite on a MacPro1,1/2,1. This will likely work for Sierra as well.

1. You will need to add two board ID's to the OSInstall.mpkg Distribution file. To do this you will need to install the Flat Package Editor which can be found on
    https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action. You will need to login and then search for "Auxiliary Tools”.
  2. Download the “Late July 2012” dmg
  3. Once downloaded, mount the DMG and right click PackageMaker then show the contents.
  4. Browse to the /Contents/Resource folder and you will see the Flat Package Editor there. Copy that to your Utilities folder.
  5. Once you have the Flat Package Editor, use it to open the OSInstall.mpkg found on the installer drive at System/Installation/Packages.
  6. Click and drag the Distribution file to the desktop.
  7. Open up the TextEdit app and go to its preferences and uncheck “Smart Quotes”.
  8. Now open the distribution file using TextEdit app.
  9. Scroll down a little bit until you see "var platformSupportValues=[..."
  10. That is followed by a bunch of board ID's. For the Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 you will need to add "Mac-F4208DC8","Mac-F4208DA9". Add them to the end of the list.
  11. If you are not using a Mac Pro then you will need to get your board ID by entering this command in terminal: ioreg -lp IOService | grep board-id
  12. Make sure that you follow the same syntax as the other entries and make sure that you have only opening quote marks around what you type in. You may have to copy and paste the quote marks from an existing entry. If your closing quote after the boardID looks italic then it will not work.
  13. Save the edited Distribution file.
  14. In the Flat Package Editor window with the Distribution file highlighted click delete.
  15. Now drag the edited Distribution file into the window and save the package file.
  16. Also in the Packages folder you will need to modify the InstallableMachines.plist file with the same to above board IDs again following the syntax.
  17. Finally you have to modify the PlatformSupport.plist located in the System/Library/CoreServices folder, again adding the two board IDs in the correct syntax.

Reactions: joeberk and three

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
This is from my guide for modifying the installer for Yosemite on a MacPro1,1/2,1. This will likely work for Sierra as well.

1. You will need to add two board ID's to the OSInstall.mpkg Distribution file. To do this you will need to install the Flat Package Editor which can be found on
    https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action. You will need to login and then search for "Auxiliary Tools”.
  2. Download the “Late July 2012” dmg
  3. Once downloaded, mount the DMG and right click PackageMaker then show the contents.
  4. Browse to the /Contents/Resource folder and you will see the Flat Package Editor there. Copy that to your Utilities folder.
  5. Once you have the Flat Package Editor, use it to open the OSInstall.mpkg found on the installer drive at System/Installation/Packages.
  6. Click and drag the Distribution file to the desktop.
  7. Open up the TextEdit app and go to its preferences and uncheck “Smart Quotes”.
  8. Now open the distribution file using TextEdit app.
  9. Scroll down a little bit until you see "var platformSupportValues=[..."
  10. That is followed by a bunch of board ID's. For the Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 you will need to add "Mac-F4208DC8","Mac-F4208DA9". Add them to the end of the list.
  11. If you are not using a Mac Pro then you will need to get your board ID by entering this command in terminal: ioreg -lp IOService | grep board-id
  12. Make sure that you follow the same syntax as the other entries and make sure that you have only opening quote marks around what you type in. You may have to copy and paste the quote marks from an existing entry. If your closing quote after the boardID looks italic then it will not work.
  13. Save the edited Distribution file.
  14. In the Flat Package Editor window with the Distribution file highlighted click delete.
  15. Now drag the edited Distribution file into the window and save the package file.
  16. Also in the Packages folder you will need to modify the InstallableMachines.plist file with the same to above board IDs again following the syntax.
  17. Finally you have to modify the PlatformSupport.plist located in the System/Library/CoreServices folder, again adding the two board IDs in the correct syntax.

Thanks for this. Can anyone confirm if this works?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.