Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Galaxas0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
macOS High Sierra 10.13 "undocumented" features & changes:
Undocumented items only!
Preferable with images to support your 'tidbit'.
Because this is a wiki post, you're encouraged to add any new features to the list!

• Native FLAC format support in Quicklook and QuickTime
  • Tweaked Disk Utility
  • Option to Lock the Screen from  menu
  • Content Caching built-in
  • Type to Siri (activate in Accessibility settings)
  • Safari: Per website settings (Always use Reader, Content Blockers, Page Zoom, Autoplay media settings)
  • Safari: Click and hold reader icon to set Always use Reader on this site
  • Local Time Machine snapshots always activated with APFS
  • Drag-and-drop changes: a subtle drop shadow is now cast on all dragging items, and when an item leaves its source container (i.e. dragging text leaves the mail compose window) it scales down during the drag.
  • Photos: "Imports" album shows all imported images going back forever chronologically, not just the last import
  • Photos: Hidden items are hidden from automatic albums such as "Places" and "Videos"
  • Photos: GIFs are animated in the library
  • Photos: Animated GIFs show up in a new “Animated" album
  • Physical media keys now control HTML5 players in Safari (tested on Early 2011 MacBook Pro)
  • Export videos in HEVC format in QuickTime
  • Apps that gained the ability to show windows as tabs in Sierra can now show previews for all tabs in the "View/Show all tabs" menu
  • Document-based apps that autosave using the OS function now allow collaboration via the File/Share menu.
  • Safari link dragging has an updated appearance that matches iOS
  • Weather in Maps
  • System-wide Now Playing widget in Notification Centre, controllable by keyboard Media keys
  • Tabs support in Preview
  • New sound when making FaceTime calls
  • FaceTime can now float on top of apps in full screen mode
  • All my Files replaced with Recents in Finder
NOTE: As always this is NOT a thread for bugs, questions or troubleshooting the betas. All posts must present a new feature or function, or new behaviour not mentioned in the keynote. Please screenshot where necessary. Comments on features are welcome, but stay on topic. This is also not a thread for whining about missing features, complaining, in-fighting or personal agendas. Keep this informative and to the topic at hand.

Please use the macOS High Sierra 10.13 Works/Does Not Work Thread thread for discussing any problems with the new OS.

Last edited:

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
WindowServer, the software which displays the Graphical User Interface (GUI) uses now Metal 2. AFAIK, Metal 2 is a software improvement 100 times faster than "comparable" OpenGL APIs. Metal version 1 was already 10 times faster than OpenGL, now Metal 2 is again 10 times faster than Metal version 1. Because Metal 2 is a software improvement, Metal 2 should run on all machines which support Metal version 1 (the Mac mini 2012 for example).

Safari can now block autoplay videos (ads) and macOS High Sierra has system wide H.265 support (hardware acceleration requires at least a Skylake processor).

Reactions: Aquamite

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
From the developer docs, it seems that APFS doesn’t support Time Machine, so your Time Machine volume must remain HFS+ for now. You can back up your data from an APFS disk to an HFS+ Time Machine though.
I'm confused.

I have a Time Capsule. Will upgrading to macOS 10.13 and APFS mean I can still backup to Time Machine?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I'm confused.

I have a Time Capsule. Will upgrading to macOS 10.13 and APFS mean I can still backup to Time Machine?

Yes. Basically, your Time Capsule itself cannot be converted to APFS just yet, but your Mac can. In other words, your Time Machine backup data cannot be stored on an APFS volume at this time.

Reactions: jgelin

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Time Machine has been on Preparing Backup for me for 45 minutes now. The first time I tried a backup it was stuck on Looking For Backup disk. Then did it again now the Preparing Backup problem. I can't seem to get Time Machine working at all.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Anyone capture a screenshot of the slide with all the feature listed?

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 13.42.26.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.