Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

applCore

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
I welcome stability and performance centric updates that don't really introduce new features, but focus on making the kernel superior and more efficient. Heaven knows how badly Apple needs to work on memory and task management! 10.12.x is ABYSMAL for heavy users who push multitasking and multiple monitors to the limit. The kernel team has been sitting on it's thumbs for far too long and the fantastic work going on with porting macOS to the Linux kernel is very, very appealing right now.

How are normal apps like Mailplane, Unibox, Messages, Chrome, Newsflow, etc. etc. doing? I hear you that Outlook breaks, but are we seeing other app breakage right now? I suspect we'll be seeing this list fleshed out here as we go.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
WindowServer, the software which displays the Graphical User Interface (GUI) uses now Metal 2. AFAIK, Metal 2 is a software improvement 100 times faster than "comparable" OpenGL APIs. Metal version 1 was already 10 times faster than OpenGL, now Metal 2 is again 10 times faster than Metal version 1. Because Metal 2 is a software improvement, Metal 2 should run on all machines which support Metal version 1 (the Mac mini 2012 for example).

Safari can now block autoplay videos (ads) and macOS High Sierra has system wide H.265 support (hardware acceleration requires at least a Skylake processor).
Does that include MacBook Pro models with dual GPUs? Specifically, the late 2013 15" rMBP? I remember reading that Netkas found that Metal wasn't supported in MacBook Pros with both the integrated and dedicated chips.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
There is now an option in the Apple menu to lock the screen.
Lock-Screen.png

Ace2617

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2016
Sorry if this is a dumb question. The iOS app store will be redesigned, but does the Mac app store in High Sierra remain the same?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 15.42.53.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 15.42.53.png
    332.7 KB · Views: 852

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Is Touch ID working for unlocking the Mac? I seem to have issues with it. Deleted the fingerprint, now can't set up new fingerprint. Fun-to-try beta, this. Feisty! :p

Jaw3000

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
From the developer docs, it seems that APFS doesn’t support Time Machine, so your Time Machine volume must remain HFS+ for now. You can back up your data from an APFS disk to an HFS+ Time Machine though.
This surprises me. A new FS with snapshot supports should allow for a brand new, much faster Time Machine routine. No more symlinks, just snapshots. But it seems Apple hasn't touched TimeMachine with High Sierra, even to the point it doesn't even support APFS. This could have/should have been the showpiece for what APFS snapshots can do. Makes me wonder either Apple really doesn't care about the Mac and isn't putting in the development effort, or they don't care about local backups (instead going all in with iCloud in the future). Either one is not good.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
AFAIK, Metal 2 is a software improvement 100 times faster than "comparable" OpenGL APIs. Metal version 1 was already 10 times faster than OpenGL, now Metal 2 is again 10 times faster than Metal version 1.

I think it would be better if people stopped repeating this marketing speak. The truth is that that Metal 2 can reduce the command scheduling overhead dramatically compared to OpenGL. Does it make it 100x faster than OpenGL? Maybe, if the OpenGL application was written by an incompetent chimp and the Metal app by a seasoned pro who really understand the hardware.

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
Have you noticed the spinning wheel has a different color?
[doublepost=1496747230][/doublepost]It's not possible anymore to have the "padlock" from keychain access in the menu bar: Keychain access has a nearly non existent preference menu! Only way (I have found ) to lock screen is through the apple menu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.