Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
Synchronised messages across devices, when you delete a message on one device it is gone everywhere. Which is good news for philanderers everywhere!

thx. still holding out for one day Apple allowing you to read/compose iMessages from iCloud.com... sure that's just a dream though.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Can anyone confirm if "About Finder" still says "The Macintosh Desktop Experience"? That's the only remaining trace of the word "Macintosh" found in the OS. All other references to "Macintosh" has long since then been renamed to "Mac".

TealShark

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2006
New Brunswick, Canada
Can anyone confirm if "About Finder" still says "The Macintosh Desktop Experience"? That's the only remaining trace of the word "Macintosh" found in the OS. All other references to "Macintosh" has long since then been renamed to "Mac".

It still does!

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 1.48.46 AM.png

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Thanks! I love it because it shows respect towards Apple's original heritage to the old classic Macintosh, which made Apple what it is today. "Mac", while fine in most instances, kind of neglects the original Macintosh and comes across as a bit lazy (kind of like iOS... very simple and no effort shown), so when I see Apple referencing the word in its entirety, it makes me smile. Unfortunately, usage of the full word is becoming more and more scant these days, with the reference to Macintosh being whittled down to only one place in macOS now. That's why I hope Apple won't rename it to "The Mac Desktop Experience." It just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know it's just a word. This is purely my opinion :)

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Thanks! I love it because it shows respect towards Apple's original heritage to the old classic Macintosh, which made Apple what it is today. "Mac", while fine in most instances, kind of neglects the original Macintosh and comes across as a bit lazy (kind of like iOS... very simple and no effort shown), so when I see Apple referencing the word in its entirety, it makes me smile. Unfortunately, usage of the full word is becoming more and more scant these days, with the reference to Macintosh being whittled down to only one place in macOS now. That's why I hope Apple won't rename it to "The Mac Desktop Experience." It just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know it's just a word. This is purely my opinion :)

Opinions, and such connections are what brought this company to where it is today. Without connecting to people this way, it would have never been what it is today. They showed and made love to what they did. And people love that. Passion incites passion.

So while it is "just your opinion" it was an opinion that Apple once strove for you to have. :)

Takohashi

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
They have changed the look of the blur in Dock?
Dock in the screenshot from the site:
image_large_2x.jpg

My Dock (10.11):
Снимок экрана 2017-06-07 в 14.24.56.png

Can anyone confirm this and check how the Dock looks like in 10.12 with this wallpaper?

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
View attachment 702775

My Dock (10.11):
View attachment 702776

Can anyone confirm this and check how the Dock looks like in 10.12 with this wallpaper?

You need to use the same app icons and dock size, and remove windows from the desktop to make any comparison. Otherwise it is impossible to check for differences

Reactions: Takuro

xflashx

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2016
View attachment 702775

My Dock (10.11):
View attachment 702776

It seems (at least what I can see in those pictures) that the colors „shining“ through the dock are not as vivid as they currently are, which I like.
[doublepost=1496836695][/doublepost]
:)) Funny but true - however startup for me is just a touch longer - not that bad
For me startup time used to be 7 seconds, now it takes 20 seconds (fresh installation). But i think the reason is the new file system and this bug won’t be present in the final release

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
It seems (at least what I can see in those pictures) that the colors „shining“ through the dock are not as vivid as they currently are, which I like.
[doublepost=1496836695][/doublepost]
For me startup time used to be 7 seconds, now it takes 20 seconds (fresh installation). But i think the reason is the new file system and this bug won’t be present in the final release

Well on my iMac mid 2011 situation is a little different.
Startup is the same, shutdown takes longer, but the whole OS moves very smooth compared to my rMBP.
Things will change for sure in the upcoming DPs, and I hope we will get to see the next one soon enough.

If I remember correctly - they usually came with an approx. 2-3 weeks frequency.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
They were talking about HVEC and new JPEG format for Photos? Can someone confirm if their Photos Library has shrunk significantly now?
That won't happen. People would go crazy if Apple automatically converted their library from one compressed format to another compressed format. It wouldn't make any sense, as you would loose soooo much information.

Reactions: ErikGrim

xflashx

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2016
Well on my iMac mid 2011 situation is a little different.
Startup is the same, shutdown takes longer, but the whole OS moves very smooth compared to my rMBP.
Things will change for sure in the upcoming DPs, and I hope we will get to see the next one soon enough.

If I remember correctly - they usually came with an approx. 2-3 weeks frequency.
This is somehow awkward. On slower/older systems, High Sierra runs better compared to Sierra, and on faster/newer systems, it runs worse than Sierra. o_O:D

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
This is somehow awkward. On slower/older systems, High Sierra runs better compared to Sierra, and on faster/newer systems, it runs worse than Sierra. o_O:D

Yep - pretty Odd - however the iMac has discrete GPU so I assume that helps a lot and it drives a much lower resolution screen - even though there is no metal support.

Quick Update - Clean My Mac 3 has updated their app so I ran a quick cleanup and some maintenance tasks and boot time has definitely improved for me!

I know people hate CleanMyMac but I find it quite useful many times.

Last edited:
Reactions: xflashx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.