Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I didn't get to choose. The only option was "Would you like to update to AFPS?"

Can you check in Disk Utility for me whether your Macintosh HD is case-sensitive APFS? Select the Macintosh HD disk there and then press the Info button on the toolbar. From your screenshot I infer that you had the regular HFS+ before.

In Sierra, Apple specifically labels case-insensitive APFS disks in Finder, like this:
Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 14.51.23.png

Unless Apple changed the Finder labels in High Sierra, you should have a case-sensitive file system now.

Case-insensitive HFS+ to case-insensitive APFS for me. No change as to which is preferred.

Same as above. Did you check in Finder or Disk Utility?

Belazor

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
Unless Apple changed the Finder labels in High Sierra, you should have a case-sensitive file system now.
My label just says "APFS" and it is still case-insensitive. I tried to create a file called fileName.txt when filename.txt already existed, but I couldn't do so.

Reactions: KALLT and mikecwest

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
APFS
Probably my imagination but my entire systems seems a lot faster, especially copying large files.
[doublepost=1496848121][/doublepost]Anyone else notice that Garage Band has a new design? And the version number is now 10.2

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Can you check in Disk Utility for me whether your Macintosh HD is case-sensitive APFS? Select the Macintosh HD disk there and then press the Info button on the toolbar. From your screenshot I infer that you had the regular HFS+ before.

In Sierra, Apple specifically labels case-insensitive APFS disks in Finder, like this:
View attachment 702781

APFS here by default. You have to specifically choose Case Sensitive APFS in options under Disk Utility if you want case Sensitive APFS. I, for one, cannot use it, because some themes in RapidWeaver break under a case sensitive file system.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

View attachment 702781

All it shows is this:
Format: APFS

Considering Case-sensitive is labeled as such when creating or formatting in Disk Utility, this would have to mean case-insensitive (and Apple did make a change to the labeling):
APFS.png

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
All it shows is this:

Considering Case-sensitive is labeled as such when creating or formatting in Disk Utility, this would have to mean case-insensitive (and Apple did make a change to the labeling):
View attachment 702806

Thanks, I think that proves it. So disappointing, I was hoping Apple would finally get rid of this. Not courageous enough it seems. :(

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Thanks, I think that proves it. So disappointing, I was hoping Apple would finally get rid of this. Not courageous enough it seems. :(

They are courageous enough to think of building a file system and seeing it through. This IS an accomplishment. And there is courage in unleashing it out on the millions of users, both on iOS and macOS. A lot can go wrong, and this is data we are talking about, if this goes wrong on iPhones, no one is buying Apple again. They are not lacking courage on this one, at least.

But of course, man is never satisfied with what he is given. There is always more to be desired and demanded as if commanded.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Some people need a Case Sensitive File System while others don’t. Apple shouldn’t remove these options...unless they want Apps like the Adobe Creative Suite failing to work correctly.

Adobe apps fail precisely because they rely on case-insensitivity without regard for cross-compatibility. They don't care and they currently don't have to care, because Apple does not sanction case-sensitive HFS. I want case-sensitivity to be the norm, like on iOS. Case-insensitivity has demonstrable problems on its own and prevents people from using a case-sensitive file system. APFS itself introduces additional compatibility problems, making the divide even more problematic. A definitive switch would solve problems down the road and I am unhappy about this decision.

Shackss

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2015
So how's the performance of Photoshop on High Sierra? Does APFS make a difference? Or do we need to see an update from Adobe? Frankly, I still don't know if Adobe is using Metal so far.

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
May I ask few question about APFS?
1) It's Filevault 2 supported?
2) I can't do any Time Machine backup to my external drive or I can?

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
Thank you. So basicaly it's without problems. I don't want to format my external mechanical drive to APFS. But it will be good to use all new backup features of APFS.
I think there will be support till GM will be released.

yangm

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2014
That or they will wait until 10.14 with new Timemachine functionality, and perhaps pair it with an updated Time Capsule.. *Shrug*

The AirPort Time Capsule has nothing to do with how the Time Machine software works. All Time Machine cares about is it’s disk image bundle on network backups, which means the fact that TC uses HFS+ or my linux machine uses ZFS is completely irrelevant.

Still, it would be cool if they updated the TC firmware to use APFS and/or released refreshed models, but that might never happen…

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
The AirPort Time Capsule has nothing to do with how the Time Machine software works. All Time Machine cares about is it’s disk image bundle on network backups, which means the fact that TC uses HFS+ or my linux machine uses ZFS is completely irrelevant.
Of course, Apple just likes to release these things together to boost the PR value of the announcements.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Does Aperture still work? How does the new Photos app compare to it?

Yep, Aperture works perfectly fine for me! I did a fresh install of 10.13 when I installed it, and upon re-downloading Aperture from the App Store, and copying over my existing Aperture Library, it opens the library normally and everything (so far) functions as expected.

Reactions: Janichsan

Havok83

macrumors regular
May 12, 2012
Wow, I just realized my MBP is still running El Capitan and I never installed Sierra last year. To be fair though, it came out last year and I was busy writing my dissertation. I think it might have been a combo of being busy and not wanting to make any changes to my laptop that could make the programs I used incompatible. Never remembered to install it. In the process of doing it now and will use it for the few months till High Sierra is released

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.