Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Has anyone had a chance to run this on Mac in a Windows SMB network? I've always found my file browsing at work to be super slow from my Mac, while my PC using workmates network browsing is good enough to make it look as though they're working locally. I'd love to see this fixed in High Sierra.

xflashx

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2016
Has anyone had a chance to run this on Mac in a Windows SMB network? I've always found my file browsing at work to be super slow from my Mac, while my PC using workmates network browsing is good enough to make it look as though they're working locally. I'd love to see this fixed in High Sierra.
Prior to high sierra, slow smb connections could be fixed by disabling signing. Even though I did this (and terminal confirmed that signing was disabled) the smb connections were extremely slow (<1 Mb/s) and as soon as you start copying files the connection breaks down completely. So if you have to be connected to a samba share, stay on Sierra for now.
[doublepost=1497036846][/doublepost]
indeed, telnet is gone! hopefully it will become available from rudix.org
No, hopefully it is just a bug, as I don't see why I should fix Apples questionable decisions. They "fix" things that aren't broken with almost each new macOS version, at least in terms of networking.

Reactions: Max108

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Prior to high sierra, slow smb connections could be fixed by disabling signing. Even though I did this (and terminal confirmed that signing was disabled) the smb connections were extremely slow (<1 Mb/s) and as soon as you start copying files the connection breaks down completely. So if you have to be connected to a samba share, stay on Sierra for now.
[doublepost=1497036846][/doublepost]
No, hopefully it is just a bug, as I don't see why I should fix Apples questionable decisions. They "fix" things that aren't broken with almost each new macOS version, at least in terms of networking.

Telnet is not in it's usual place, /usr/bin/telnet

Reactions: Takuro and xflashx

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I welcome stability and performance centric updates that don't really introduce new features, but focus on making the kernel superior and more efficient. Heaven knows how badly Apple needs to work on memory and task management! 10.12.x is ABYSMAL for heavy users who push multitasking and multiple monitors to the limit.

Can you provide any example?

the fantastic work going on with porting macOS to the Linux kernel is very, very appealing right now.

The what now?
[doublepost=1497129792][/doublepost]
This surprises me. A new FS with snapshot supports should allow for a brand new, much faster Time Machine routine. No more symlinks, just snapshots. But it seems Apple hasn't touched TimeMachine with High Sierra, even to the point it doesn't even support APFS. This could have/should have been the showpiece for what APFS snapshots can do. Makes me wonder either Apple really doesn't care about the Mac and isn't putting in the development effort, or they don't care about local backups (instead going all in with iCloud in the future). Either one is not good.

Or, they simply haven't gotten around to a good solution.

And optimistically, part of why could be that they want a solution that also allows for non-cloud network iOS backups (yes, I know about iTunes).

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Looks like hardware media keys can now control safari html5 audio. Noticed pressing pause on my E2011MBP built in keyboard paused an youtube video.

I know this is kinda off topic but you can do this and more with BeardedSpice.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
This is not even a beta - calm down :) Besides, a new filesystem is a pretty big thing. Microsoft tried it, and gave up (WinFS)..

Not really comparable. Microsoft does have a new file system in ReFS, though they apparently don't plan on rolling it out widely.

WinFS was more of an effort of changing how we interact with files, much more focused on metadata and relations than hierarchy. It's kind of a shame that they killed it, but their vision clearly lacked refinement and practicality.

Reactions: insomniac86

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
It is NOT a beta. It is a preview version. A beta version is very, very refined, in comparison.

No. It is a beta.

You can tell by the way it says "BETA" all over the place.

Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 6.38.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 6.38.20 PM.png

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
Wallpapers from the 2016 MacBook with Touch Bar keynote are now included in High Sierra, scroll down in Desktop & Screen Saver to get them.
Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 10.58.55 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Aquamite

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
No. It is a beta.

You can tell by the way it says "BETA" all over the place.

View attachment 703362 View attachment 703363

Ok. It is a beta then. I apologise you had to go through all the trouble just to prove a moot point.

Bring on the hate about lack of polish in the "beta". It is well deserved then. :D

I was using the word in a really different sense, and most of you do know it. And yet...

Reactions: TheralSadurns

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Can you tell me how is this, since iTunes does not support Flac and that includes High Sierra. If you have Flac Player you will listen Flac on your iPhone even on iOS 10...

Finder, QuickLook, QuickTime Player and the Files app on iOS support playing flac files without third party extensions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.