Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Galaxas0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Back again for the next round.

Changes:

- New DVD Player icon
- DVD Player is now a Core Services application and 64-bit
- Software Update now in System Preferences
- APFS for mechanical and Fusion drives
- Accent Colors
- Recently Used Apps in Separate Area on Dock (like on iPad)
- Stationery has been removed from Mail
- Installer is now "Space Grey" instead of white
- Safari Extensions now in App Store, "legacy" extensions no longer work
- OpenGL and OpenCL Frameworks are deprecated in favour of Metal
- New Users & Groups Icon in System Preferences
- Updated Login UI, optimized for Retina Displays
- New Finder Preference to Keep Folders on Top on The Desktop
- New Gallery View in Finder
- New Home App
- New News App
- New Stocks App
- New Voice Memos App
- New Screen Capture Mode - cmd + shift + 5
- New Folder Icon in Dark Mode
- New Trash Icon in Dark Mode
- 'createinstallmedia' now has a 'downloadassets' option
- Legacy Software in System Information for software that needs to be updated for compatibility
- (British) English localization
- Choosing 'Customize Toolbar' makes the toolbar icons jiggle slightly
- Checkbox in Wi-fi network list for automatic connection. See screenshot at post #369 (page 15)

NOTE: As always this is NOT a thread for bugs, questions or troubleshooting the betas. All posts must present a new feature or function, or new behaviour not mentioned in the keynote. Please screenshot where necessary. Comments on features are welcome, but stay on topic. This is also not a thread for whining about missing features, complaining, in-fighting or personal agendas. Keep this informative and to the topic at hand.

Last edited:

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
Done :)

I see from the release notes that there's finally a "real" (British) English localisation. It also seems that the 32-bit apocalypse is going to happen gradually, so it'll be interesting to see what breaks and what doesn't.

I saw it on the website. I thought there was always an English U.K. localization. Can you explain?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
So... a few quick Qs for anyone taking the plunge?

Can I drag images from Photos to Safari yet?
Anything in the release notes about eGPU support for Bootcamp?
Are there updated bootcamp drivers that mean the new British English support might mean iMac keyboards work correctly in Windows?
Any snap improvements?
Any detail on the requirements for the Mac App Store changing?
Can you copy 4GB files to FAT32 drives yet?
Does video recording in the screenshot function capture audio?
Can gallery view in Finder play videos? What formats?
Does Terminal have Touch ID support?
Can you delete Apple News et al?
Can you just pick a profile photo from the file system in User preferences yet rather than Photos?

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

ccard3dev

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2013
Michigan, US
Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 4.54.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 4.56.05 PM.png
Two things I am requesting a check for:

-Is DVD Player still included?
-Does "About Finder" still say "Finder, the Macintosh Desktop Experience"? (I ask this every year, because I like the very rare reference to the Macintosh name, and hope Apple won't remove it!)

HyperliteG4

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Southern California
If anyone does web development on their machine who may have taken the plunge, I'd be very interested to see how well Laravel Valet works with PHP, Composer, HomeBrew, MariaDB, etc...

Last year going to the new beta screwed me up big time so I'm much more cautious although I'm itching to try it out! Maybe I'll take the plunge on an external instead...

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I saw it on the website. I thought there was always an English U.K. localization. Can you explain?

Third-party developers were able to add localisations for these variants, but Apple did not support them themselves. Now it seems they will. :)

Reactions: martyjmclean

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Some other things from the release notes:
  • Legacy plug-ins in Safari with the exception of Adobe Flash will no longer work.
  • Safari’s JavaScript “canLoad” API is deprecated. Adblockers that aren’t based on the content-blocking APIs (such as uBlock Origin) will likely stop working in the future.
  • OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks are deprecated in favour of Metal, but remain for compatibility.
  • Safari extensions have to be installed via the Extensions Gallery now, otherwise they won’t work. In the future, all extensions have to be provided via Mac apps.
  • Integration with social networking and media sites has been removed.

nchamow

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Some other things from the release notes:
  • Legacy plug-ins in Safari with the exception of Adobe Flash will no longer work.
  • Safari’s JavaScript “canLoad” API is deprecated. Adblockers that aren’t based on the content-blocking APIs (such as uBlock Origin) will likely stop working in the future.
  • OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks are deprecated in favour of Metal, but remain for compatibility.
  • Safari extensions have to be installed via the Extensions Gallery now, otherwise they won’t work. In the future, all extensions have to be provided via Mac Apps.
  • Integration with social networking and media sites has been removed.
I'm curious about that last one. No more facebook integration?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.