Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Nice! What does clicking on Advanced... do?
Options for automatically downloading / installing updates.
Software Update-Advanced.png
Seems a bit redundant as the auto-update options in System Preferences > App Store are still present exactly as in High Sierra. Perhaps this will be resolved before the final release.

Reactions: Zoebe4

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Options for automatically downloading / installing updates.
View attachment 764524
Seems a bit redundant as the auto-update options in System Preferences > App Store are still present exactly as in High Sierra. Perhaps this will be resolved before the final release.

"Install App updates from the App store" -- Strange, that setting should be in the App Store

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
macOS Mojave is supposed to have a new login window, could anyone post a screenshot of that?

To me it just looks like they've removed any borders from the circular user photos and made them a bit bigger. Certainly nothing drastic (although I haven't tried the username/password login screen, that may have changed compared to the one with just a list of users?).

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It’s kinda lame that they dont let you select an accent color with the color picker

But not surprising, they still don't let you do that for labels either.

Maybe one day. I never thought in a million years we'd get more colors like in Mac OS 9, but here we are.

ceparker27

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
One of my only concerns about dark mode: anyone find a way to force web pages to use dark mode backgrounds? Anything that gets me on black pages with white text would be amazing and much appreciated by my eyes.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
One of my only concerns about dark mode: anyone find a way to force web pages to use dark mode backgrounds? Anything that gets me on black pages with white text would be amazing and much appreciated by my eyes.

Not exactly what you want, but sites will be able to detect what appearance you are using and serve up a different version of the site. (This is how dark mode was initially discovered.)

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Could someone explain how the new sidebar works in finder? Does it work in column and list view? Is it toggled with cmd + I?
[doublepost=1528156709][/doublepost]Also, how does the new screenshot dialog appear? Does it appear as you hold cmd + shift or does it appear after you press cmd + shift + 4?

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
UK
New Finder preference to keep folders on top on the desktop (High Sierra introduced a general keep folders on top option)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-06-05 at 00.57.48.png
    Screenshot 2018-06-05 at 00.57.48.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 990

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Could someone check if iMessage on this new macOS lets you remove recently-messaged contacts with an "I" button (like in iOS)? It sucks not being able to remove contacts that shouldn't be there anymore.

On iOS, you could start typing a name, and if it's no longer in your contacts but you've previously messaged them, you have the option of removing them.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
When running ../beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia:

Code:
WARNING: "--applicationpath" is now deprecated.

And new option to download assets on the fly:

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 10.10.37 am.png

Also, funky rendering artefacts at the installer screen. It's like some outlines or other UI elements aren't being drawn.

EDIT: I think it updated me to the latest firmware. I hadn't previously run any updates on this mac since 10.13.3, and I'm running the firmware that shipped with the 10.13.5 update. Interesting!

Last edited:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Could someone explain how the new sidebar works in finder? Does it work in column and list view? Is it toggled with cmd + I?
I haven't tried Mojave, but my guess would be that it's an updated version of the Preview pane (⇧⌘P) – anyone want to confirm?

DoctorFedora

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Apparently there's some sort of new romanized text input for Japanese, but the Apple website doesn't provide much in the way of meaningful detail on it. Would anyone be able to check it out and provide a little more in-depth info?

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Two things I am requesting a check for:

-Is DVD Player still included?
-Does "About Finder" still say "Finder, the Macintosh Desktop Experience"? (I ask this every year, because I like the very rare reference to the Macintosh name, and hope Apple won't remove it!)
Yes and Yes

Reactions: Sdtrent

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Two things I am requesting a check for:

-Is DVD Player still included?
-Does "About Finder" still say "Finder, the Macintosh Desktop Experience"? (I ask this every year, because I like the very rare reference to the Macintosh name, and hope Apple won't remove it!)
Well the fact that every Mac still comes with "Macintosh HD" should make you happy :). It does me!

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Does DVD Player have a new icon? Is it still 32 bit?
When looking for the icon to screenshot for you, I found I had to do some more digging.

DVD player is now located in /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/.
I believe the icon is new, but I can't say I've looked at the app or used the app in many many years.

Attached is a screenshot of the about screen from DVD player. The DVD disc is the icon for the actual app.
Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 11.25.06 PM.png

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Abu changes to messages app?

Like is it capable of any of the recent features of the iOS counterpart?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.