Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
If anyone does web development on their machine who may have taken the plunge, I'd be very interested to see how well Laravel Valet works with PHP, Composer, HomeBrew, MariaDB, etc...

Last year going to the new beta screwed me up big time so I'm much more cautious although I'm itching to try it out! Maybe I'll take the plunge on an external instead...

Please don't take offence I am genuinely curious... is it still common to do all this now and what are the benefits?
Why not just use docker (and docker compose for dev) so it works with this years update, next years update, the year after that etc.?
Also allows you to run projects with a mixture of PHP or DB versions with no stress.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Effectively, we go from two choices now (Blue and Graphite) to 8 in Mojave:
1. Blue
2. Red
3. Orange
4. Yellow
5. Green
6. Purple
7. Pink
8. Graphite

I like it
Please give us screenshots of this!

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Please give us screenshots of this!

There are screenshots of the accent colours already in the thread.

imgo-6-jpg.764481

Reactions: baryon and sman789

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
Does this mean my MBA 2010 will shrivel up and not operate?
My 2011 11" MBA started shrivelling with the Sierra update, High Sierra did a number on it too. I don't believe it would even be capable of lifting another update.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
On one of the slides in the Keynote, it Said there should also be new open and save panels. Screenshots?
If you've ever used TextEdit, QuickTime, etc. the window you get when launching the app is what the new 'Open' panel looks like. Save doesn't look too different for me, maybe they've slightly tweaked the layout.

What I have noticed is that on my keyboard (UK English), Mojave has flipped the mapping of #/£. On High Sierra, Alt-3 would give # and Shift-3 would give £. Now, it's the other way around. I'm not sure if this is because of Mojave or to do with the new UK localisation, or if I've inadvertently changed a setting. In any case, it's a little annoying.

Reactions: Lunder89

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
It'll be interesting to see how this works under Apple's anti-tracking strategy of making all Macs look the same - like fonts and legacy plug-ins, would Apple be looking at obscuring this as potentially profilable data?
Wouldn’t be very useful for tracking, since there are only two choices and folks will be in one group or the other.

Damoh

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2017
Any way to change the screenshots-location without hacking via terminal? /s

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Are screenshots still saved to the Desktop by default? Also, can you disable the screenshot pop-up window in the lower right? Finally, are screenshots automatically imported to the Photos app, like on iOS?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
This is how the software update works, apparently. Got this notification. Anyone else?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-06-05 at 9.01.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-06-05 at 9.01.26 PM.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 916
  • Screenshot 2018-06-05 at 9.06.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-06-05 at 9.06.43 PM.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 925

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
A web development issue with dark mode and Safari: If you don't declare a background color for your web page, it will be rendered as almost black if dark mode is enabled. Obviously every web page should have an explicitly defined background color but it seems that if you don't, and you rely on the background being white, either your entire web site, or portions of it, will have the background rendered very dark. This can result in virtually unreadable text.

The default color of web pages seems to be dark in dark mode.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I got the same. Couldn't figure out if it was a system update or something else.

I had iTunes open when it asked for it to be closed, so perhaps something to do with iTunes and iPhone 8 recognition. Who knows. But it is good to see app updates separate and system updates separate.

vagos1103gr

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
to me the dinamic desktop doesn't work, shows me dark desktop while its day outside. The location service is on on my iMac

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What does "Accent Color" exactly do? I am sorry, I do not have 10.14 installed, I am learning stuff from you who have it.

It’s the color that appears when you click on menus and certain UI elements like default buttons and the ends of drop down menus.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
My 2011 11" MBA started shrivelling with the Sierra update, High Sierra did a number on it too. I don't believe it would even be capable of lifting another update.
Thanks for the reply, I’m not even installing Mojave on my enemy’s Mac let alone mine, I’m content with what I have now.
ummmmm I ran a Mac cleaner after many attempts to install high Sierra from mountain Lion I’m my MBA to correct permissions and the update worked like a charm, I forgot the software but it was a trial offer. Let me know if you want the name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.