Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
I'm currently trying to source a late 2011 iMac - the last with an upgradable graphics card. I'm thinking we may be able to install a fairly stock 10.14 on any machine that supports SSE4.1 and Metal, so upgrading the CPU and GPU on older models that support it may be the way to go.

This doesn't help those with non-upgradable components. It depends how deeply wedded Mojave is to Metal

I used the profile from high Sierra and it let me update

I did the same thing. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Reactions: TimothyR734

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
As far as I know you can only download MacOS 10.14 from the apple developers page if you have a paid developer account public beta will not be available is the App Store until June 25

Qwertyasaui

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
I'm working on this. The current High Sierra Patcher downloader may actually work, just edit the CatalogURL to the 10.14 one and remove the metadata URL, and it may work.
are you able to disclose the CatalogURL for the 10.14 download? If you are able to can you share it?

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2016
Keep me posted I'm trying to get this running too.

FetchMacOS already works for downloading the macOS 10.14 Beta.

tltWjzd.png

Last edited:

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Well openGL apps are still working in Mojave bit are now depreciated so they won't work in future versions.I hope that the UI isn't in metal so that there is a slight chance it can be ported to our older "vintage" machines.
I think that the Nvidia Web Drivers provide metal support for all the cards that it covers, right? I don't have an Nvidia myself that isn't supported by the native drivers with metal (GTX 760) but this could be a lifeline for certain Nvidia cards in laptops, just as it is for the desktops. The Web Drivers are one option. I thought of two more "lifelines" that we have left. Specifically, this stems from the fact that the original configs of the MacPro4,1 and MacPro5,1 may be supported, and therefore the AMD Terascale 2 series (5870/5770, a.k.a Evergreen, but some 6xxx use Terascale 2 as well) This I detail in the paragraph after the following one.

We can always try the methods from back in ML when we tried to just kextload the relevant extensions, but then we had the i386/x86_64 binary mismatch. This time we don't. So, we'll just have to wait and see if the UI only runs on metal, and we can still kextload the kexts because this time, they ARE architecture compatible. *Unlike AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext* --> for the GMA950 + X3100, which we used the DP1 kernel trick to load the i386 kexts.

Note that Apple said "support for 2010 and 2012 Mac Pros will come in a later beta" - This may mean that either:

1) Apple rewrites AMDRadeon5xxx with metal support (so the "metal only" UI runs even without the 'recommended' gpu upgrade on the stock graphics cards, GT 120 and Radeon HD 5770/5870)

2) Apple just keeps the existing OpenGL-only kext BUT makes the UI compatible with OpenGL.

One of these scenarios *may* happen, because they did not make the GPU upgrade (from stock) mandatory. They may therefore somehow support the stock graphics cards, the AMD Radeon HD 5770/5870. That gives us one architecture to have hope on: the Evergreen arch (AMD 5xxx + some 6xxx *if Terascale 2* + the mobile versions + some rebrands like the 7570, i think *if Terascale 2* + FirePro *some* + some other exotic ones) That's my reasoning for the 2 scenarios. Here's what I think will be the results of the 2 scenarios:

If we get 1), then we get a lifeline for a few models of MacBook Pro (we can edit Info.plist and force the kext to load for graphics acceleration) + the 2011 Mac Mini (since I think its 6xxx chip actually uses the 5xxx architecture, Terascale 2, which matches one of the stock graphics cards archs, the 5770/5870, Evergreen/Terascale 2)

if we get 2), then we can attempt to force *all* the old kexts from High Sierra/Sierra (like AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext --> Intel HD Graphics Arrandale, or AMDRadeon6xxx --> AMD Radeon, 'Northern Islands'/Terascale 2 and 3)

Either way, we're going to try and load the kexts anyway. I just thought of how the flowchart would go once we learn more details about how macOS Mojave ticks.

TL;DR: We can rely on Apple supporting the MacPro4,1 and MacPro5,1 GPU's someway to give us a lifeline to our old machines because they may share the same GPU architecture as the stock GFX in those MacPros.

UPDATE 1: Apparently according to macOS_10.14_beta_Release_Notes.pdf the stock 5xxx will not be supported. I don't have access to it myself, so I hope to be able to check it soon.

Last edited:

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Got Mojave booting on a 2011 MacBook Pro 13"... No GPU acceleration of course, but everything else seems to work no issues.

Well done! Did your installer (or install process) reformat as APFS, or did you just clone a drive and boot from that in safe mode?

gotcoding24

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2017
Doesn't it mean that we can run APFS on hard drives now since it's a feature now? If so, DosDude could you implement it into the patcher?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I think that the Nvidia Web Drivers provide metal support for all the cards that it covers, right? I don't have an Nvidia myself that isn't supported by the native drivers with metal (GTX 760) but this could be a lifeline for certain Nvidia cards in laptops, just as it is for the desktops. The Web Drivers are one option. I thought of two more "lifelines" that we have left. Specifically, this stems from the fact that the original configs of the MacPro4,1 and MacPro5,1 will be supported, and therefore the Nvidia Tesla series (GT120) and the AMD Terascale 2 series (5870/5770, a.k.a Evergreen, but some 6xxx use Terascale 2 as well) This I detail in the paragraph after the following one.

We can always try the methods from back in ML when we tried to just kextload the relevant extensions, but then we had the i386/x86_64 binary mismatch. This time we don't. So, we'll just have to wait and see if the UI only runs on metal, and we can still kextload the kexts because this time, they ARE architecture compatible. *Unlike AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext* --> for the GMA950 + X3100, which we used the DP1 kernel trick to load the i386 kexts.

Note that Apple said "support for 2010 and 2012 Mac Pros will come in a later beta" - This may mean that either:

1) Apple rewrites NVDANV40Hal/AMDRadeon5xxx with metal support (so the "metal only" UI runs even without the 'recommended' gpu upgrade on the stock graphics cards, GT 120 and Radeon HD 5770/5870)

2) Apple just keeps the existing OpenGL-only kext BUT makes the UI compatible with OpenGL.

One of these scenarios *must* happen, because they did not make the GPU upgrade (from stock) mandatory. They must therefore somehow support the stock graphics cards, the Nvidia GT 120 and the Radeon HD 5770/5870. That gives us 2 GPU architectures that we can pretty much expect to be hacked to work unofficially: the Nvidia Tesla arch (2xx series + 1xx + 3xx + 8xxx + 9xxx + some other workstation ones like Quadro/Tesla series) and the Evergreen arch (AMD 5xxx + some 6xxx *if Terascale 2* + the mobile versions + some rebrands like the 7570, i think *if Terascale 2* + FirePro *some* + some other exotic ones) That's my reasoning for the 2 scenarios. Here's what I think will be the results of the 2 scenarios:

If we get 1), then we get a lifeline for a few models of MacBook Pro (we can edit Info.plist and force the kext to load for graphics acceleration) + the 2011 Mac Mini (since I think its 6xxx chip actually uses the 5xxx architecture, Terascale 2, which matches one of the stock graphics cards archs, the 5770/5870, Evergreen/Terascale 2)

if we get 2), then we can attempt to force *all* the old kexts from High Sierra/Sierra (like AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext --> Intel HD Graphics Arrandale, or AMDRadeon6xxx --> AMD Radeon, 'Northern Islands'/Terascale 2 and 3)

Either way, we're going to try and load the kexts anyway. I just thought of how the flowchart would go once we learn more details about how macOS Mojave ticks.

TL;DR: We can rely on Apple supporting the MacPro4,1 and MacPro5,1 GPU's someway to give us a lifeline to our old machines because they may share the same GPU architecture as the stock GFX in those MacPros.
This is interesting for me, as my 2010 iMac Core i7 has a Radeon 5750.

Note though that the system requirements for those old Mac Pros stipulates that a Metal compatible GPU is installed.

"Mac Pro, late 2013, and mid 2010 an mid 2012 where equipped with Metal-capable GPU"

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011

Are you parsing this statement differently than I am?

Supported Configurations macOS 10.14 supports: • MacBook (Early 2015 or newer) • MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or newer) • MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer) • Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer) • iMac (Late 2012 or newer) • iMac Pro (2017) • Mac Pro (Late 2013, plus mid 2010 and mid 2012 models with recommended Metalcapable GPU) *Support for 2010 and 2012 Mac Pro models will be available in an upcoming beta

Source: https://download.developer.apple.co...Jun_4_2018/macOS_10.14_beta_Release_Notes.pdf

To me that seems to be saying that the stock cards in the 2010 and 2012 will not be compatible with Mojave and that Apple is going to recommend a card(s) that is.

Also the GT120 was the stock card for the 2009 (which is not supported by Mojave and was not supported by High Sierra). The 2010 and 2012 both used the ATI 5770 and 5870. So I highly doubt the GT120 will be Mojave-compatible (at least not officially).

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Got Mojave booting on a 2011 MacBook Pro 13"... No GPU acceleration of course, but everything else seems to work no issues.
You have Intel HD 3000, so the relevant files are:
AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle
AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext
AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle

Could you please download [link removed] (pulled from 10.13.2) and copy all the files (except _MACOSX) to /System/Library/Extensions, then open a terminal:
$ cd /System/Library/Extensions
$ sudo chown -R root:wheel *
$ sudo chmod -R 755 *
$ kextcache -kernel /System/Library/Kernels/kernel -prelinked-kernel /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
/System/Library/Extensions -v 6 -z -print-diagnostics

After that, restart, and hopefully something changes.

*trivia: SNB=SaNdyBridge, like BDW= BroaDWell, this naming convention was dropped for Ivy and Haswell*
[doublepost=1528168719][/doublepost]
Are you parsing this statement differently than I am?

Source: https://download.developer.apple.co...Jun_4_2018/macOS_10.14_beta_Release_Notes.pdf

To me that seems to be saying that the stock cards in the 2010 and 2012 will not be compatible with Mojave and that Apple is going to recommend a card(s) that is.

Also the GT120 was the stock card for the 2009 (which is not supported by Mojave and was not supported by High Sierra). The 2010 and 2012 both used the ATI 5770 and 5870. So I highly doubt the GT120 will be Mojave-compatible (at least not officially).
Oh, oops, I stand corrected a lot. Well then, it's down to not much hope, sadly. Could you upload a copy of that pdf somewhere, or is that against the rules? (I can't access it)

Last edited by a moderator:

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
You have Intel HD 3000, so the relevant files are:
AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle
AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext
AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle

Could you please download http://68.202.200.163:4040/HD3000files.zip (pulled from 10.13.2) and copy all the files (except _MACOSX) to /System/Library/Extensions, then open a terminal:
$ cd /System/Library/Extensions
$ sudo chown -R root:wheel *
$ sudo chmod -R 755 *
$ kextcache -kernel /System/Library/Kernels/kernel -prelinked-kernel /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
/System/Library/Extensions -v 6 -z -print-diagnostics

After that, restart, and hopefully something changes.

*trivia: SNB=SaNdyBridge, like BDW= BroaDWell, this naming convention was dropped for Ivy and Haswell*
[doublepost=1528168719][/doublepost]
Oh, oops, I stand corrected a lot. Well then, it's down to not much hope, sadly. Could you upload a copy of that pdf somewhere, or is that against the rules? (I can't access it)
Already tried this. The kexts load, but there is still no GPU acceleration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.