Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Mojave supports AFPS on Fusion. I just don't know if it's mandatory or not when you upgrade to Mojave.

I haven’t been able to get Mojave to install on APFS. It auto-converted a volume on an SD card, and the startosinstall app no longer supports the “—converttoapfs NO” switch. I’ll look into it further when I get home

Reactions: TimothyR734

AppleGeek1127

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2014
Yes, yes, YES! It definitely loads AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver.bundle, so there STILL IS some OpenGL handling in WindowServer! This may be to:

1) Run OpenGL apps natively (~99.9999% chance)
2) Provide an OpenGL accelerated UI fallback (~35% chance)
3) Intentionally provide us a chance to manually load the OpenGL only drivers, with full support for them (0.01% chance)

Just to be clear, it's from 10.14 right?

Yep, 10.14!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 11.21.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 11.21.48 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,324

Deregulated

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
Sadly, this may mean that WindowServer is Metal only. This would make sense, as it would optimize performance by stripping the OpenGL code, but we can always try more: like hack in the 10.13 WindowServer and some frameworks... once we get concrete data on what is and is not included in 10.14, we can begin the slow process of porting/hacking...
[doublepost=1528170046][/doublepost]
Don't fret yet, while no guarantees can be made at this point I'm sure someone (or I) will hack in WindowServer at some point, or maybe it already has OpenGL, or maybe Apple backs off on their 2010/2012 Mac Pro GPU mandate...
Hoping for all the best. Not sure how long these patches usually take to be released but I hope we will get a solution soon. It would be so sad to see my perfectly fine MacBook Pro not get another major update (I really wanted dark mode and the refreshed App Store)

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Yep, 10.14!
Oh, that's awesome! This is great news, however we don't yet know how the OpenGL code is used.

A good test would be to quickly move AppleIntelKBLGraphicsMTLDriver.kext to a backup folder outside S/L/E and to then run a "sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel" however I understand if you are not willing to go that far.

But it would be a definitive test that would immediately prove or disprove the OpenGL UI acceleration theory. It could also tell us how apps work without Metal but with OpenGL: perhaps if the UI doesn't have OpenGL code, the apps still get OpenGL acceleration.

If you use Chrome, it would work, as without OpenGL acceleration (no metal yet) Chrome will act up badly and will glitch a lot. If you do this test, in chrome open chrome://gpu and screenshot before the MTLDriver removal and after the MTLDriver removal (screenshot it after the kextcache update and a full reboot)
[doublepost=1528173117][/doublepost]
Hoping for all the best. Not sure how long these patches usually take to be released but I hope we will get a solution soon. It would be so sad to see my perfectly fine MacBook Pro not get another major update (I really wanted dark mode and the refreshed App Store)
Yeah, it's still an open question as to how we will tackle this. I'm crowdsourcing info because I myself have Linux only (ext4) covering my entire SSD and I have long-since removed the APFS.efi and all macOS related stuff. I assure you though that I am trying to see what can be done, to the limits of my capabilities (which end at advanced disassembly of binaries and writing new drivers) but I do know some disassembly and I've ported old kexts many times before.

Last edited:

rmendez011

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
Huntington Park, CA
No, it's not Metal-compatible unfortunately.

Damn

• No metal
  • No web drivers to fall back on
We can try kextloading, but that still wouldn't solve the Metal issue (missing) so at best only OpenGL apps will run accelerated, at worst the kext doesn't even load. Then we deal with whether WindowServer has any opengl code left, and if it doesn't, no UI acceleration.

So I'm even worse off then people with Nvidia drivers?

AppleGeek1127

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2014
Oh, that's awesome! This is great news, however we don't yet know how the OpenGL code is used. A good test would be to quickly move AppleIntelKBLGraphicsMTLDriver.kext to a backup folder outside S/L/E and to then run a "sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel" however I understand if you are not willing to go that far. But it would be a definitive test that would immediately prove or disprove the OpenGL UI acceleration theory.

I can't move the file by holding Command and dragging and dropping or by using "sudo mv." I can only copy it. Is there any other way?

Edit: There is no AppleIntelKBLGraphicsMTLDriver.kext, it's a .bundle
Probably not a good thing.

Last edited:

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
I can't move the file by holding Command and dragging and dropping or by using "sudo mv." I can only copy it. Is there any other way?

You must disable "System Integrity Protection" (SIP) I believe in order to mess with anything inside the "System" folder (Hmmm I miss the good ole' days of PPC Mac's when you can destroy your system with an accidental command. :p )

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Damn

So I'm even worse off then people with Nvidia drivers?
Theoretically, yes :( as currently it is still possible that the Nvidia Web Drivers have some metal support for the older cards... We know for sure that there will be updated Web Drivers, we just don't know how much hardware they will cover. Definitely Maxwell and Pascal, Kepler nearly 100% (but already in native drivers), Fermi maybe, Tesla possibly. I don't want to sugarcoat it too much. We can still try the kextload and the hope that WindowServer has an OpenGL UI mode and that the kexts load.
[doublepost=1528173584][/doublepost]
You must disable "System Integrity Protection" (SIP) I believe in order to mess with anything inside the "System" folder (Hmmm I miss the good ole' days of PPC Mac's when you can destroy your system with an accidental command. :p )
Yup. When booting, hold Command-R. Once booted, enter Utilities *at top* and terminal. Then, 'csrutil disable'. Don't worry, many hundreds of people will thank you for this one time thing :)

Oh, the good ole' days of doing: sudo rm -rf /

Do NOT, EVER run that command. EVER. No exceptions.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
But it would be a definitive test that would immediately prove or disprove the OpenGL UI acceleration theory. It could also tell us how apps work without Metal but with OpenGL: perhaps if the UI doesn't have OpenGL code, the apps still get OpenGL acceleration.
If the UI doesn’t have OpenGL acceleration, I can’t imagine many of the native apps working well either. Maps, QuickTime, DVD Player, and Photos will definitely be empty canvases.

AppleGeek1127

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2014
Theoretically, yes :( as currently it is still possible that the Nvidia Web Drivers have some metal support for the older cards... We know for sure that there will be updated Web Drivers, we just don't know how much hardware they will cover. Definitely Maxwell and Pascal, Kepler nearly 100% (but already in native drivers), Fermi maybe, Tesla possibly. I don't want to sugarcoat it too much. We can still try the kextload and the hope that WindowServer has an OpenGL UI mode and that the kexts load.
Yup. When booting, hold Command-R. Once booted, enter Utilities *at top* and terminal. Then, 'csrutil disable'. Don't worry, many hundreds of people will thank you for this one time thing :)

I'm an idiot haha, I have SIP disabled on my Hackintosh but not this machine. Hold on.

rmendez011

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
Huntington Park, CA

Ffs, I knew I should have spent more money on the other used 2012 MacBook Pro.... Oh well, too late now

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
If the UI doesn’t have OpenGL acceleration, I can’t imagine many of the native apps working well either. Maps, QuickTime, DVD Player, and Photos will definitely be empty canvases.
Right, there would be a definite disconnect between the UI and Apps. But, the hope is that even if WindowServer doesn't provide an OpenGL accelerated UI, we know that WindowServer loaded the GLDriver.bundle so the individual apps might still be accelerated and usable.

AppleGeek1127

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2014

There's the output of the command with the AppleIntelKBLGraphicsMTLDriver.bundle on my desktop. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 11.48.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 11.48.59 PM.png
    335.6 KB · Views: 555

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
There's the output of the command with the AppleIntelKBLGraphicsMTLDriver.bundle on my desktop. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Now reboot. (make sure the kext has been removed from S/L/E)

a2JiSoC.gif

Deregulated

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
Ffs, I knew I should have spent more money on the other used 2012 MacBook Pro.... Oh well, too late now
Exactly my thoughts as well.
[doublepost=1528174784][/doublepost]
Yup.
[doublepost=1528174616][/doublepost]
That's an Nvidia 320m, so you have the Web Driver chance + the OpenGL WindowServer/Apps chance.
What are my chances of support on a Late 2011 MacBook Pro (Intel HD Graphics 3000 512mb)?

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
For future reference, it's easier for me to provide specifics on what we have on a certain Mac model if you can provide the graphics card for it. That saves me a google, and it makes it easier for people reading this for the first time. I hope I can get the wikipost on the front started, but I don't have the permission...

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Exactly my thoughts as well.
[doublepost=1528174784][/doublepost]
What are my chances of support on a Late 2011 MacBook Pro (Intel HD Graphics 3000 512mb)?
We've had one person attempt to kextload the kexts without apparent success. We've had many developments since then about the methodology and procedure to test for acceleration, but your current chance is:
  • WindowServer has OpenGL code, and we can load the corresponding kext + GLDriver and get a fully functional desktop.
I'll try to explain this in the wikipost, later.
[doublepost=1528174959][/doublepost]
That’s what I get after rebooting. It’s been a few minutes.
Command-V at boot, so we can see what's really going on behind the Apple logo?

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I’ll definitely have to download macOS Mojave tomorrow and start testing on MBP Mid 2010 (GeForce 320M). It’s hard keeping up with forum conversations.
For future reference, it's easier for me to provide specifics on what we have on a certain Mac model if you can provide the graphics card for it. That saves me a google, and it makes it easier for people reading this for the first time. I hope I can get the wikipost on the front started, but I don't have the permission...
Try this App: https://mactracker.ca/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.